Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yes, that seems to be the case alright. I believe his last minute twinge when he had to pull out of a starting 15 earlier in the season came during kicking practice.

Any news on O'Drsicoll??

What a week to be a Leinster fan, with the 5 in a row and now the perfect start to the Heineekn Cup, it takes the early season worry away, but a massive game again next weekend. If we can pick up a win in London then it'll be the perfect start to the campaign and the season well and truly back on track. Fingers crossed, cause that's a massive ask! (And hopefully Racing will draw blood at home to rivals Clermont to throw the group wide open!)

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I would expect the Irish team to be top heavy with leinster players , on merit right now - Bowe, Ferris and Wallace would be the only certs for me outside - Ross must be pushing Buckley , Reddan at scrum half, I'd look at Bob Casey too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Hook was talking up Sarries last night. Having watched them against Clermont they are no great shakes. Tough, abrasive yes but lack any kind of creativity. If we front up physically an away victory is definitely a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

danthefan wrote: »
    Might have been Fosi Pala'amo.

Did a season or two with Leinster before going to Leeds.

Think he coaches in Monkstown or something now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

The IT has O'Driscoll missing out on the game next week.

I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

phog wrote: »
    The IT has O'Driscoll missing out on the game next week.

I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
    its a guess since as it says in the article a verdict on the injury won't be made untill today

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

No word yet on O'Driscoll - an announcement will be made 'later in the week', whenever that is.

Very encouraging from a Leinster point of view that both Cullen and BOD might be playing this weekend. But even more encouraging is the squad depth we have at the moment in these positions - both are well covered with quality back up. Outhalf still a cause for concern; Berne is still a few weeks off his return so let's just hope nothing happens to Sexbomb in the meantime...

Everywhere else, we seem comfortable enough. And crucially, we're beginning to look more settled with the new coaching ticket. Time to build on the great performance and result last weekend and put the first four games well and truly behind us.

Looking forward to Saturday, let's turn Wembley blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

Hook was talking up Sarries last night. Having watched them against Clermont they are no great shakes. Tough, abrasive yes but lack any kind of creativity. If we front up physically an away victory is definitely a possibility.

Saracems are a very good side, dont judge them on a away performance against the Top 14 champs. They dont lose many, and while they are not expansive, their defence is mighty and they stick to a clear gameplan, Britz and Burger are very good and they have beaten Saints and Tigers at home this season.

I am not saying Leinster cant do it, but it will be a huge challenge.

Saracens should have won away to Clermont.

I think Clermont were poor though more than it being a vintage Saracens performance.

No one in this group is unbeatable. But all are capable of beating us too.

No Leinster squad names for Saturday yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

little173 wrote: »
    Saracems are a very good side,

No they aren't. They've won nothing important for years and have a relatively ordinary side, imo.

• Advertisement

No they aren't. They've won nothing important for years

Flawed logic. One could have applied the same rationale to Clermont last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Flawed logic. One could have applied the same rationale to Clermont last year.

and some posters here did;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

phog wrote: »
    and some posters here did;)

Did anyone say they weren't a good team? People said they were the best team in Europe and I would have disagreed, that's very different.

Saracens are a good team btw.

Let's commemorate five in a row!

(Been meaning to post these since Munster game last week)

Highlights of all of Leinsters 5 in a row wins over Munster in order (full match highlights of all games except the Magners Play-off game where I could only find the winning try)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

I will never understand how Clermont didn't beat us in the quarters last year* but I can see there being a few home/away upsets later on. The group this year is almost cup like, you can't afford to slip on a bonus point / home win anywhere.

Any word on a team sheet for tomorrow yet? Are they waiting on a fitness test from someone we don't know about?

*well... we know exactly why but thats besides the point I'm not making very well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

andrewdcs wrote: »
    I will never understand how Clermont didn't beat us in the quarters last year*

Whatever about James' kicking, it was a perfect example of the experienced HEC team coming out on top. Clermont lost concentration for 10 minutes and Leinster punished them ruthlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

andrewdcs wrote: »
    I will never understand how Clermont didn't beat us in the quarters last year* but I can see there being a few home/away upsets later on. The group this year is almost cup like, you can't afford to slip on a bonus point / home win anywhere.

Any word on a team sheet for tomorrow yet? Are they waiting on a fitness test from someone we don't know about?

*well... we know exactly why but thats besides the point I'm not making very well

I was watching Sky Sports there yesterday and they were making the point that not only is it difficult to tell who will come out of our pool (and Munsters), but it's also bloody hard to know who's goin to win each individual game. There are really no certainties in either pool at all. All the more reason to be delighted with the start we made to it.

Happy with this - the best solution if BOD can't play. Looking forward to seeing Fitz at 13 actually.

That's some backline we have, with a fair few players showing signs of real form lately - Fitz and Isa and more recently Darcy and Kearney.

Happy with backrow selection too. I thought we really missed Jennings when turning over all that possession to Munster recently and while SOB is a good 7, he's proved to be an effective blindside too.

Halfbacks pick themselves - Reddan's quick distribution to take the game to them from the off & Boss to make a big impact off the bench circa 55 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Leinster Signed Clint Newland? Interesting. Maybe Stan will be out for longer than previously thought.
    http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/sport/news/bay-lose-long-time-pillar-newland/3926550/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Leinster Signed Clint Newland? Interesting. Maybe Stan will be out for longer than previously thought.
    http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/sport/news/bay-lose-long-time-pillar-newland/3926550/

Job number 1 for him is to get his geography right....

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

durkadurka wrote: »
    Job number 1 for him is to get his geography right....

and his commitment

Ah ffs another NIQ prop? :mad: They already have Van Der Merve and Prescott!

Its temporary. Need cover for the internationals etc.

Its temporary. Need cover for the internationals etc.

I know the forum has debated this ad nauseum before but I wish they'd just give their young props a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

He's Ireland qualified:
    Born in Libya and Ireland qualified, Prescott (32) was named in the divisional team of the year last season
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0902/1224278049250.html

Mike Ross and Cian Healy could miss a chunk of time due to international call ups and the IRFU player management scheme. With Stan Wright injured that would leave just Heinke Dan Der Merwe, Simon Shawe, Ben Prescott and Jack McGrath covering the prop positions. McGrath will play quite a bit at loosehead prop in Healy's absence but the other youngster Stewart Maguire is only in the academy and hasn't even made the breakthough for the Leinster As yet. Newland is a necessary signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Newland is not a neccessary signing, I think it's a disgrace that they're signing him. These type of signings seriously hamper the development of young Irish players. The internationals only last 4 weeks and there's not Magners League games all them weeks. Cian Healy will be the only prop affected, Mike Ross won't be making the match day squads so he'll be free to play the Magners League.

Heinke Van Der Merwe, Ross, Shawe, McGrath, Prescott, McCormack and Maguire are all available, leaving them in good shape. These young lads need to be given a taste of 1st team action or else they won't improve at all. There's no point in wrapping them in cotton wool and giving them a bit of AIL and B & I Cup. They'll go nowhere doing this. Maguire and McGrath were destroying scrums in the u20 world cup, they showed they're well able to be given an opportunity in the Magners.

Connacht survived last season with 4 props, Robbie Morris, Ronan Loughney, Jamie Hagan, and Brett Wilkinson. Look at Jamie Hagan now, a Leinster cast off, and he's now a tighthead to be reckoned with. It's pure greed on the part of Leinster to be recruiting journeymen NIQ's on short term deals instead of giving youth it's fling and improving these young thoroughbreds.

Newland is not a neccessary signing, I think it's a disgrace that they're signing him. These type of signings seriously hamper the development of young Irish players. The internationals only last 4 weeks and there's not Magners League games all them weeks. Cian Healy will be the only prop affected, Mike Ross won't be making the match day squads so he'll be free to play the Magners League.

Heinke Van Der Merwe, Ross, Shawe, McGrath, Prescott, McCormack and Maguire are all available, leaving them in good shape. These young lads need to be given a taste of 1st team action or else they won't improve at all. There's no point in wrapping them in cotton wool and giving them a bit of AIL and B & I Cup. They'll go nowhere doing this. Maguire and McGrath were destroying scrums in the u20 world cup, they showed they're well able to be given an opportunity in the Magners.

Connacht survived last season with 4 props, Robbie Morris, Ronan Loughney, Jamie Hagan, and Brett Wilkinson. Look at Jamie Hagan now, a Leinster cast off, and he's now a tighthead to be reckoned with. It's pure greed on the part of Leinster to be recruiting journeymen NIQ's on short term deals instead of giving youth it's fling and improving these young thoroughbreds.

Hear hear well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Maguire and McGrath were destroying scrums in the u20 world cup, they showed they're well able to be given an opportunity in the Magners.
    You're thinking of Jack O'Connell. McGrath was on the previous year's team and that scrum was at best shaky. O'Connell and Maguire were impressive this year but there's a massive step up from u20 where you're up against boys to Magners League or Heineken Cup level where you're facing internationals every week.
    Look at Jamie Hagan now, a Leinster cast off, and he's now a tighthead to be reckoned with.
    Not entirely true. From the Evening Herald in April 2009:
    It went almost unnoticed in the greater scheme of things as Leinster prepared to right the wrongs of a decade by making a splash at the business end of matters in the Heineken Cup. This Old Belvedere tighthead was registered with European Rugby Cup Limited as an additional player in light of the injury problems experienced by South African World Cup winner CJ van der Linde.
    It is another step along the road for a young man who must be patient, even though Leinster Academy's elite player development manager Richie Murphy thinks he should be able to make his move in the next year or so.
    The demands of the position are such that he will be brought along slowly but surely until if and when he is ready to step up to the mark.
    The lightening rise of Leinster loosehead Cian Healy is down to the less taxing role on the outside of the scrum and to an extraordinary skills set married to uncommon pace.
    Hagan still has a year to run in the Academy, although it is thought that he could do a job from the start of next season.
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/leinster-rugby/keeping-it-tight-1712091.html

Hagan moved to Connacht because they could guarantee him more games immediately than Leinster could but the Balbriggan man was certainly rated by Leinster. He had already made his debut for Leinster before moving to Connacht.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement