Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wixfjord wrote: »
    GAA player numbers certainly are though.
    It's seen as a real threat to the GAA where i'm from.

Sorry I was thinking in terms of attendance numbers only. Yeah you're probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I dunno, you're cutting off your nose a little bit if you build a stadium like that.
    Dublin, Wicklow, Meath, Kildare and North Wexford would be the main Leinster markets, and it's probably as easy for fans from these counties to reach the city centre.

A stadium on the M50 would be very hard to get to for anyone without a car, and would be devoid of much of the atmosphere around the RDS and Aviva on matchdays imo.

I'm pretty happy with the current arrangement, the Aviva in particular is a blessing if we get a home SF for example.

Fair point. The GAA intend on going ahead with it though to serve those counties. I think it would be interesting to see how many new supporters we could gain from places like Laois or Kilkenny if there was a 25k stadium sitting out around Newlands Cross or the N4. Obviously it wouldn't be much use to those coming from north Dublin such as myself or Louth, north Meath but it would definitely open up the game to a new group. Perhaps if it was used for a Leinster vs Connacht game or some such as a tester which would suit those coming from the west. Overall, we'll never leave our central base but I'd be curious to see if it's a way in which we could grow our support.

Of course, there's the minor issue that Dublin GAA would never allow LR use such a stadium.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

GerM wrote: »
    Fair point. The GAA intend on going ahead with it though to serve those counties. I think it would be interesting to see how many new supporters we could gain from places like Laois or Kilkenny if there was a 25k stadium sitting out around Newlands Cross or the N4. Obviously it wouldn't be much use to those coming from north Dublin such as myself or Louth, north Meath but it would definitely open up the game to a new group. Perhaps if it was used for a Leinster vs Connacht game or some such as a tester which would suit those coming from the west. Overall, we'll never leave our central base but I'd be curious to see if it's a way in which we could grow our support.

Of course, there's the minor issue that Dublin GAA would never allow LR use such a stadium.

Moving a game to Tallaght Stadium would be an interesting one.
    I'm sure you could market an Aironi or even a Connacht game very well, and it'd be great PR.
    There's a booming rugby club in Tallaght, a huge population in West Dublin, and places like Laois, Carlow, Western Kildare, so it'd be a good tester imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully unless the stadium is being designed with the potential of rugby or soccer being played there I don't know if I would be interested in going to games in it. When going to some of the 6 nations in Croker I was stuck in a corner and with the proportion of excess space at either end I just felt a bit to far from the game.

so although for commuting this may be advantageous I just don't think it would have the same atmosphere inside as you get at either the RDS or the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

GerM wrote: »
    On a side note, Dublin GAA are now looking to develop a 25k all seater stadium on the edge of the M50 which is designed to accommodate the commuter belt counties. It would be fantastic if LR could use it at some point if it became a reality to allow those from Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Laois etc to attend games. Wholly unlikely though.

I live in meath but and was a season ticket holder. The only reason I'm still not one is that I've a young family so very little time. Getting into town is easy and the atmosphere around the area is great. I think it would be a terrible idea to move games out to the M50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Moving a game to Tallaght Stadium would be an interesting one.
    Reference to Tallaght is interesting, the GAA tried to throw a spanner in the works of it by trying to get the pitch expanded to be large enough for their matches, didn't react well to being refused. I can't imagine the levels of apoplexy that would result if rugby now tried to muscle in on their new stadium....
    I'm sure you could market an Aironi or even a Connacht game very well, and it'd be great PR.
    There's a booming rugby club in Tallaght, a huge population in West Dublin, and places like Laois, Carlow, Western Kildare, so it'd be a good tester imo.

You couldn't play any regular season Leinster games in Tallaght, it only holds 6,000 people (vs 14,000 season ticket holders). Might work for a pre-season warm-up or even a few open training sessions though.

Reference to Tallaght is interesting, the GAA tried to throw a spanner in the works of it by trying to get the pitch expanded to be large enough for their matches, didn't react well to being refused. I can't imagine the levels of apoplexy that would result if rugby now tried to muscle in on their new stadium....

You couldn't play any regular season Leinster games in Tallaght, it only holds 6,000 people (vs 14,000 season ticket holders). Might work for a pre-season warm-up or even a few open training sessions though.

Jesus is that all?!
    Thought it was much bigger than that. Just goes to show the crowds rugby gets compared to other pro sports in this country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There is also our agreement with the RDS to play X amount of games there.

I don't think games are a runner in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Either do I, so this is a warning to everyone that any pop shots at any other sport will be dealt with

Hi Guys

Maybe posted wrong, wasn't haven't a pop at other sports, just thought it was funny when mentioned on radio they where talking about trade marking a color!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Jesus is that all?!
    Thought it was much bigger than that. Just goes to show the crowds rugby gets compared to other pro sports in this country.

I think it has been expanded to 8/8.5 with temporary seating as they have done for the european games.

Either way this means Leinster lose money from having to pay off the RDS, sort something out with season ticket holders and obviously just selling less tickets.
    To accommodate the crowds you would only have GAA staduims to look at. Portlaise is the only one which springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

I wonder will Cork GAA be jumping on the bandwagon and slating Munster for subliminal exploitation of their unique red jersey?!!

Will Chelsea be next in the sights of the Dublin GAA hirearachy as they are look to re-claim what is rightfully theirs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Rugby has already been played there.

ireland A played argentina a there in 2009.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/4878.php

Think this is all a bit of a non story though, read the same story on IT and not a reference to Leinster Rugby, just lots of financial stuff. The indo's reference to Cullen is bizarre too, he wasn't poached on sporting grounds. He just happens to have been offered a job in a organisation that is Leinster Rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

GAA is a summer sport,

What? Club football and hurling doesnt begin until the All Ireland Championship ends for the county and as such football and hurling are played through the winter until club finals day in Croke park on St Patricks day. It has always been.

As for inter county, the league starts in February and the Championship starts in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Killme00 wrote: »
    What? Club football and hurling doesnt begin until the All Ireland Championship ends for the county and as such football and hurling are played through the winter until club finals day in Croke park on St Patricks day. It has always been.

As for inter county, the league starts in February and the Championship starts in May.

again I was speaking in terms of spectators at senior fixtures i.e. inter-county championship

Well no, that's not true.
    Club hurling and football is running during the county All Ireland Championships, albeit sporadically because of poor calendar management by the GAA.
    The count finals are then usually played in September/October time, with the provincial tournaments played by a small handful of the county winners up until late November, and the All Ireland quarter semi and final played in Feb/March.
    Really, after November, you've a handful of teams left in action.

It's not really played through the Winter, and it is generally speaking a Summer sport, unlike rugby which goes all the way from September to May.
    Many people play soccer/rugby in the Winter and GAA in the Summer.

again I was speaking in terms of spectators at senior fixtures i.e. inter-county championship

Everything i referenced are "senior fixtures". Parnell park has been packed every Saturday and Sunday for the past six or eight weeks.

It's only that one point i disagree on. Everything else including this colour of the jersey thing is laughable.

It's not really played through the Winter, and it is generally speaking a Summer sport, unlike rugby which goes all the way from September to May.
    Many people play soccer/rugby in the Winter and GAA in the Summer.

Nonsense, at what level? Senior/Intermediate/Junior/u21/Minor

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Vast majority of the lads on my team play rugby through the winter and GAA through the summer. So that would be most of those barring Minor level, but I'm sure a lot of the lads on our u19s play or played minor football and they certainly did when I was at that level.

This whole article is just rubbish though. Leinster have worn blue for (AFAIK) the entirety of their history. Dublin used to wear white a long time ago. It's not as if Leinster swtiched to blue to piggy back on Dublin's success!

Also, a large and growing amount of Leinster fans (such as myself) are from outside the county of Dublin.

What are Dublin GAA trying to say here exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Truthfully unless the stadium is being designed with the potential of rugby or soccer being played there I don't know if I would be interested in going to games in it. When going to some of the 6 nations in Croker I was stuck in a corner and with the proportion of excess space at either end I just felt a bit to far from the game.

so although for commuting this may be advantageous I just don't think it would have the same atmosphere inside as you get at either the RDS or the Aviva.

That's an interesting point though isn't it. From a business perspective wouldn't you want your product to appeal to the widest market demograph as possible? Why are stadiums in this day and age being built as 'GAA stadiums' or 'Football grounds'? If I was the GAA and I was putting money into a new 25k seater stadium I would be designing it as a 'Sports Grounds' available for rent and start counting my chickens....

• Advertisement

This whole article is just rubbish though. Leinster have worn blue for (AFAIK) the entirety of their history. Dublin used to wear white a long time ago. It's not as if Leinster swtiched to blue to piggy back on Dublin's success!

Also, a large and growing amount of Leinster fans (such as myself) are from outside the county of Dublin.

AFAIK Leinster used to wear green with a gold harp. I thought Dublin GAA used to always wear blue (albeit baby blue?)

"Don't forget about us. We are champions too. Bit of attention please."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

.ak wrote: »
    That's an interesting point though isn't it. From a business perspective wouldn't you want your product to appeal to the widest market demograph as possible? Why are stadiums in this day and age being built as 'GAA stadiums' or 'Football grounds'? If I was the GAA and I was putting money into a new 25k seater stadium I would be designing it as a 'Sports Grounds' available for rent and start counting my chickens....

The problem is the GAA pitch is much bigger than the rugby/soccer pitch, it was one of the reasons why Croke Park didn't really work as a rugby stadium and the reason why the GAA can't use Tallaght.

.ak wrote: »
    AFAIK Leinster used to wear green with a gold harp. I thought Dublin GAA used to always wear blue (albeit baby blue?)

Well both have worn blue for as long as I've been alive! I just know that some time a long time ago (in the 20s perhaps) Dublin wore white.

All levels.
    It's not nonsense at all!

The problem is the GAA pitch is much bigger than the rugby/soccer pitch, it was one of the reasons why Croke Park didn't really work as a rugby stadium and the reason why the GAA can't use Tallaght.

Still, I don't see that as a barrier to branding your grounds as being open to all sports. Make it as big as it needs to be, even put a track n' field set up around it and it'll be instantly attractive to even more who want to rent it. A lot of countries around the world do this rather successfully. SA, NZ and Aus being prime examples.

The one thing I would say is it does hamper the 'atmosphere' aspect quite a bit mind you...

I personally hate stadiums with athletic tracks like that. Just distances you from the action. One of the many reasons I love the RDS is how close you get to the action on the pitch.

I personally hate stadiums with athletic tracks like that. Just distances you from the action. One of the many reasons I love the RDS is how close you get to the action on the pitch.

Yeah me too. Just saying from a business perspective....

Jesus you'd be a long way away from a rugby pitch if it had the dimensions of a GAA pitch and a running track around it, and it was a small stadium.

From the back of the Hill in Croker for example was far too far away to enjoy a game.

Not sure it's something which architects purposely focus on, but they've got this very right with the Aviva, and it feels a lot more intimate than Croker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Before you worry about the spectators view ye might want to worry about the law of physics which won't allow a regulation running track to fit around a regulation GAA pitch :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement