Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Having watched the game back, I really am worried by VDM's scrummaging. Honestly, I genuinely think McGrath could be a better player than him now. As he is an NIQ maybe it's time to move him aside subtly?

On a more positive note, I think Nathan White looks good!

White's a good player alright. He's abrasive and I'm more than happy for him to deputise when called upon. Willing to put his hand up when we need a carrier also. He's not exactly Healy but he puts himself into contact with aggression and doesn't seem to knock on. His scrummaging has ranged from the average to good which makes him an able replacement for Ross in my opinion.

With VDM's contract up in the summer, I'd like to see McGrath get a bit of game time over the coming months to see if he's able to shore up the spot that VDM could leave. If he is able to handle his scrummaging duties at Pro12 level then he's well on the way to being a long term option. It would also free up another NIQ spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Spud83 wrote: »
    Hate to make things worse for you but its only Wednesday.

I hate you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I hate you!

Mid week blues setting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Burgo wrote: »
    Mid week blues setting in!

sorry we have to call it the mid week yellow's now, as blue is now copyrighted by Dublin GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sorry we have to call it the mid week yellow's now, as blue is now copyrighted by Dublin GAA

That's an unacceptable Anti-GAA post, I'm reporting you to the CCCCCCCCCCCC. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'm surprised at the criticism VDM is getting for his scrummaging, he's been consistently good for us since his arrival. He didn't have a great day against Montpellier but that Bustos guy is a serious operator, besides the refereeing of scrums is so inconsistent that it's hard to make a definite call. And he did a reasonable impression of Healy's ball-carrying, just ask Timoci Nagusa.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Damn that Fijian cap....

Quite the opposite in fact, God bless that Fijian cap. Had he not played those couple of minutes he'd have qualified for NZ, gotten into their national side and quite likely never left. We may never have had the pleasure if he hadn't played for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Well bod's had his operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hope it's a boy...

So, HVDM commenting on Sunday's match... Maybe I'm reading into a little but they usually put up videos from starters of upcoming matches. Is Healy all clear?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/play/media/id/9916

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    So, HVDM commenting on Sunday's match... Maybe I'm reading into a little but they usually put up videos from starters of upcoming matches. Is Healy all clear?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/play/media/id/9916
    They have often put up people who have been on the bench or not even on the team. Wouldn't read anything at all into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Thornley is the latest person to question Fionn Carrs decision in going back to Leinster. I'd love to know the thinking behind it from Joe Schmidts point of view. Even with Horgan out he still can't make the squad.

What do you Blues fans think of Darren Hudson? He seems to be down the pecking order at the moment but a player with potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nacewa, Rob Kearney, Fitzgerald, Horgan, McFadden, Dave Kearney, Carr, Conway, Hudson, Boyle, Coghlan-Murray, and Sherlock.

That is to say there are 12 players with contracts or in the academy that are back three players. Even if some play center as well (McFadden and Fitzgerald) Too many imo.

Morris and Keating left since last year as well.

Not a one that doesn't have potential, D Kearney and Conway could play for Ireland, I'd rate as Hudson good player but likely to leave. Coghlan Murray may have missed chances last year when he missed the U20 6N but is a good player, Boyle is first year academy this year and got in due to a good season in AIL and a good run with U20s last year, another one I would expect to leave Leinster or leave professional rugby. Don't know much about Sherlock.

Conway is the pick of the litter when looking at the young back three players but he gets injured at the wrong times. Had he been fit during the 6 nations last year (when R Kearney and Horgan was injured and McFadden and Fitzgerald was with Ireland) I reckon he could have come out of the 6 nations a starter for Leinster. Then he was injured during the RWC when he could have nailed his colors to a place in the 23.

EDIT As for Carr he and DKearney played while the internationals were away and Kearney was the one who impressed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

profitius wrote: »
    Thornley is the latest person to question Fionn Carrs decision in going back to Leinster. I'd love to know the thinking behind it from Joe Schmidts point of view. Even with Horgan out he still can't make the squad.

What do you Blues fans think of Darren Hudson? He seems to be down the pecking order at the moment but a player with potential.

I've been very impressed with Hudson the few times I've seen him but like Ciaran I don't expect all that talent to hang around waiting for game time. Conway is a truly quality player and D Kearney for me is the heir apparent to Shaggy at the moment (Although Hudson could well have something to say about that). Both will probably see a lot of game time (injury permitting) over the next season or so. Being honest, unless Carr develops his game a good deal I don't see where he'll fit in.

I'd say Shaggy is pretty much finished now anyway, as much as I hate to say it. We're not hearing any positive news on his recovery and I'd bet all that time in front of camera over the last few months is a sign of him planning to move on. I'd love to see him back for another season, especially given his fantastic form the last few, but I'm not confident it'll happen. If that's the case we could see D Kearney step up into the 14 shirt more permanently and Hudson as back-up....a back 3 for the Pro12 next season of Conway, D Kearney and Nacewa could be nice, with Fitzy to 12??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

hudson maybe lacks a bit of pace for a top class winger. very strong though and great hands. maybe a centre or full back is the way forward for him in the long run. dave kearney i dont see being a quality winger. hands arent that great, has lacked a bit of consistency and big lad but doesnt use his size.conway is the real deal as far as im concerned. coughlan murray is a quality operator too but very very small -bout 5'8 and 13 stone say give or take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

roycon wrote: »
    hudson maybe lacks a bit of pace for a top class winger. very strong though and great hands. maybe a centre or full back is the way forward for him in the long run. dave kearney i dont see being a quality winger. hands arent that great, has lacked a bit of consistency and big lad but doesnt use his size.conway is the real deal as far as im concerned. coughlan murray is a quality operator too but very very small -bout 5'8 and 13 stone say give or take

From what I've seen of D.Kearney I'd have thought he's a very physical winger who punches above his weight, LR website has his size at 5"11 and 13st 7lb, I'd say he's probably half a stone heavier but still not big for a winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

think hes a bout 6'2 and 15 stone which id regard as big

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

roycon wrote: »
    think hes a bout 6'2 and 15 stone which id regard as big

D kearney? Serious? Never struck me as that sort of big.

profitius wrote: »

Thing is, in context with Carr I think Hudson is a far better winger. He's got better acceleration, probably loses in the pace battle but anytime I've seen Hudson he's played very clever football, and always keeps the after burners until he's in the 22, and then even if there's a few defenders infront of him he seems to relish taking them on in a physical run, often 'bashing' through a few tackles. Very dangerous in his appearances so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

phog wrote: »
    You're also talking crap, Munster's special relationship couldn't have been down soley to winning, we didn't win the H/C until 20006, our support was massive from 2000. Have you realised we're in a recession maybe the privileged still the same disposable income but I know I dont and now pick and choose what games I go to, hence I didn't travel to the Aviva this season.
    Really? I picked a year at random from the Celtic league. Average attendances for 2007. Figures were skewed somewhat by the 27,000 'Last Stand' v. Ulster at Lansdowne
    Leinster 12,525
    Ulster 10,515
    Munster 7,323.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Really? I picked a year at random from the Celtic league. Average attendances for 2007. Figures were skewed somewhat by the 27,000 'Last Stand' v. Ulster at Lansdowne
    Leinster 12,525
    Ulster 10,515
    Munster 7,323.
    In faireness thats the year thomond was closed for redevelopment and all the games were in Musgrave park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

In faireness thats the year thomond was closed for redevelopment and all the games were in Musgrave park

Ah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jacothelad wrote: »
    Really? I picked a year at random from the Celtic league. Average attendances for 2007. Figures were skewed somewhat by the 27,000 48,000 'Last Stand' v. Ulster at Lansdowne
    Leinster 12,525
    Ulster 10,515
    Munster 7,323.

Fixed that for you Jaco, a massive achievement for Leinster and Ulster in the context of how the Celtic League was regarded back then (plus it was New Year's Eve).
    Leinster's figures were further skewed that year by hosting Munster at Lansdowne as well, they got 25,000+ IIRC.

durkadurka wrote: »
    D kearney? Serious? Never struck me as that sort of big.

He's not I'm fairly sure. I've stood alongside him a few times and he's shorter than me and I'm 6'2". Roughly the same size as Eoin O'Malley who he's often about the place with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

shuffol wrote: »
    From what I've seen of D.Kearney I'd have thought he's a very physical winger who punches above his weight, LR website has his size at 5"11 and 13st 7lb, I'd say he's probably half a stone heavier but still not big for a winger.

Truthfully if Kearny was to pack on a bit of weight I'd like to see him been given a chance at centre

To come back a bit, here's the head of Dublin GAA board being interviewed on Off The Ball last night: http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/so-thats-that-cleared-up-then

A career in politics beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    To come back a bit, here's the head of Dublin GAA board being interviewed on Off The Ball last night: http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/so-thats-that-cleared-up-then

A career in politics beckons.

:pac:

Why not just be honest that there's a threat of losing bandwagoners to Leinster rugby? Who would that hurt? It would save the squeamish evasive measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Am I right in saying that Hudson scored a great try in the corner against Melbourne Rebels this year? I seem to remember a break by Carr and a pass to Berquist who at full felt spun a skip pass to Hudson on the 10 metre line who showed some serious wheels and strength to go through (and around) two covering defenders!

Would love to see a bit more of him!

geekington wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Hudson scored a great try in the corner against Melbourne Rebels this year? I seem to remember a break by Carr and a pass to Berquist who at full felt spun a skip pass to Hudson on the 10 metre line who showed some serious wheels and strength to go through (and around) two covering defenders!

Yep that was him

SF-Darren-Hudson-Melbourne-11_rdax_400x276.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

geekington wrote: »

Would love to see a replay of that try, superb move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement