Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Treviso away next week. Wonder will he rest a good few after three big weeks?
    I'd give SOB and sexton a week off anyhow. Maybe Ross too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

durkadurka wrote: »
    Treviso away next week. Wonder will he rest a good few after three big weeks?
    I'd give SOB and sexton a week off anyhow. Maybe Ross too.

Always tough to predict Schmidt's selections, and Treviso are competitive at home so we'll need a good team.

It depends on injuries obviously but I hope we'll see Cronin, White, Jennings, and Ruddock start as they all probably need gametime. Madigan should get a lot of gametime from the bench if not start.

I hate these games in Italy with no TV coverage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

15 Nacewa
    14 D Kearney
    13 O' Malley
    12 McFadden
    11 Carr
    10 Madigan
    9 Boss
    8 Heaslip
    7 Jennings
    6 Ruddock
    5 Toner
    4 Browne
    3 White
    2 Cronin
    1 McGrath

Not sure about the fitness of McFadden or Browne, but would like to see something like that. This is the best chance to rest guys who've played the last few weeks in succession and especially SOB who looks knackered.

I reckon it'll be a half strengh team. He might rest a few more the next week.
    Cheika used to throw the odd game with an 'A' team but schmidt seems to mix and match a bit.

Jennings and Healy need a start. Carr needs a game, maybe put him at 14 and Isa back at 15. Darce prob needs a rest so try fitz at 12 again.

Something like
    Healy Strauss White
    Cullen toner
    Locky Jennings Ruddock
    Boss Madigan
    D Kearney fitz eom Carr
    Nacewa

Question mark about fitness of Ryan and McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

hmmm.... dunno Hype, I'd worry that team would be a little lacking to see off Treviso. They beat us by 16 points in Italy last year and almost beat Ospreys in the HEC this weekend. They're a good team and we'll be away from home.

I'd like to see VDM or Healy, Cullen (as he's played relatively little so far), Sexton, and maybe Fitz (to keep his run of good form going) added in your team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Its not really a must win game though. I'd be happy to get a LBP in the knowledge that we were going to Bath full strength with a greater chance of beating them and having the group almost secured by Christmas.

Treviso are no mugs at home. Theyre very good in fact. But I'd rather we rested half a dozen than kill ourselves trying to win every game.

Edit just checked and they've lost a few at home actually including Connacht and Edinburgh but I'd still fear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think the team could remember last year and put out a first XV. Then again with Cardiff at home the week after maybe that could be more unlikely.

Maybe something quite strong like

Healy, Strauss, White, Cullen, Toner, Ruddock, Jennings, Heaslip;
    Boss, Sexton, Carr, Fitzgerald, O'Malley, Nacewa, Kearney

Cronin, McGrath, Hagan, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden/Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Teej

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Is the Benetton Treviso match on TV anywhere next week?

Can't see any TV station listed on Leinster website!!!

Showing on RTE's listings for RTE2 13:45

I want Hagan playing next week if we're resting Ross. Let White be the bench cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I want Hagan playing next week if we're resting Ross. Let White be the bench cover.

Yeah, I would agree but it looks like Schmidt has hitched his wagon to White. In fairness, he looks like a decent player too.

I would look to give game time to Sykes, Ruddock, Madigan and Carr, as well as to Healy.

Was there any update on Ryan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 willie.c

Farold wrote: »
    A few things:

• There is not one player on the Leinster team from Dublin 4.
    • Dublin 4 contains massive working class areas such as Ringsend and Irishtown
    • Leinster have fewer players in their squad from fee-paying schools than Munster
    • Leinster have much more varied representation of players from different counties than any other province (maybe Ulster would contend that, I'm not sure)
    • Leinster have made a huge effort to make in-roads in traditional GAA and soccer dominated areas such as Clondalkin, Tallaght, Ballymun.
    Pictures from the Ballymun National school blitz
    CIMG2781x.JPG

Lets look at the Leinster players in the starting 15 from the province...
    Healy - Clontarf (shock - northside Dublin)
    Cullen - Wicklow
    Toner - Kildare
    O'Brien - Carlow
    Jennings - Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
    Heaslip - Kildare
    Sexton - Rathgar, Dublin 6
    Fitzgerald - Wicklow
    D'arcy - Wexford
    O'Driscoll - Clontarf (shock -northside Dublin)
    Horgan - Meath
    Rob Kearney - Louth

Where does the nonsense come from?

Ha ha just stumbled across this thread tonight, fair play to you Farold slap up this picture and kill a conversation dead, knocked some of them into silence. Im from Ballymun meself and have been a Leinster STH for a few years now and have to say the whole "D4" vibe isnt as its preceived, I meet people from all over Leinster at matches as well as all Dublin from D4 to D11 and beyond. The D4TRESS sign well its exactly as it says on the tin. A fortress in d4, plain and simple. Get over it people. Nice one Farold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

willie.c wrote: »
    Ha ha just stumbled across this thread tonight, fair play to you Farold slap up this picture and kill a conversation dead, knocked some of them into silence. Im from Ballymun meself and have been a Leinster STH for a few years now and have to say the whole "D4" vibe isnt as its preceived, I meet people from all over Leinster at matches as well as all Dublin from D4 to D11 and beyond. The D4TRESS sign well its exactly as it says on the tin. A fortress in d4, plain and simple. Get over it people. Nice one Farold.

I counted 8 people on my bus from Celbridge into Dublin for the Sunday morning match. Knowing Celbridge if 8 people are on buses then I would imagine double that are in cars.
    Leinster and all the other provinces are always going to have the problem that a huge portion of their area is too far away for people to travel to a game other then it being an occasion. Munster because of Musgrave park and Limerick and Cork being reasonably central have to deal with this less but I'm sure it's still an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Just watching it again, Glasgow try was poor refereeing. Nathan was part of the ruck, bound on and took the ball and went. Makes no difference, certainly a few decisions went Leinster's way that I didn't agree with but that's a fairly glaring one.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

pajunior wrote: »
    I counted 8 people on my bus from Celbridge into Dublin for the Sunday morning match. Knowing Celbridge if 8 people are on buses then I would imagine double that are in cars.
    Leinster and all the other provinces are always going to have the problem that a huge portion of their area is too far away for people to travel to a game other then it being an occasion. Munster because of Musgrave park and Limerick and Cork being reasonably central have to deal with this less but I'm sure it's still an issue.

Indeed, particularly on a Sunday morning at quarter to 1!
    Was actually impressed by the crowd yesterday. Nearly 18,000 which is quite good for the time and day.
    Atmosphere wasn't too bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

pajunior wrote: »
    I counted 8 people on my bus from Celbridge into Dublin for the Sunday morning match. Knowing Celbridge if 8 people are on buses then I would imagine double that are in cars
    This provincial myth is just that: a myth. It is only kept alive by myopic folk who want it to be true.

On a Leinster match day, these people should take a peep at supporters getting off trains arriving in Heuston and Connolly stations or the amount of people using the Luas as a park-and-ride facility from the Red Cow.

The tosh about D4 suits convenient tribalists is complete and utter rubbish. The growth in support for Leinster isn't due to Dublin 4 growing but support across the province growing.

I agree its a myth and mostly untrue.

However........

In an attempt to dispell the mytht I took a soccerball loving mate to a match recently.

The lady in front of us spent the match passing around smoked salmon and cream cheese aperitifs to her friends, and then she produced a bottle of Sancerre white wine and glasses.

It was priceless.

I haven't lived it down since. The myth isnt totally untrue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The lady in front of us spent the match passing around smoked salmon and cream cheese aperitifs to her friends, and then she produced a bottle of Sancerre white wine and glasses.

That's absolutely infuriating.

Riesling would have complimented the salmon much more suitably.

GerM wrote: »
    That's absolutely infuriating.

Riesling would have complimented the salmon much more suitably.

An absolute outrage.

• Advertisement

I agree its a myth and mostly untrue.

However........

In an attempt to dispell the mytht I took a soccerball loving mate to a match recently.

It was priceless.

I haven't lived it down since. The myth isnt totally untrue....

Brilliant!
    That's what we all should do when Munster come to town!

Definitely a huge element of that still in the RDS. Eejits leaving for pints every three seconds, talking about who scored who in Kielys last night etc.

I remember at a Munster Leinster game in the RDS on NYE a few years ago. It was absolutely brass monkeys and these two stunners in miniskirts and fur coats came into the South Stand (getting a whistle or two along the way!), about 20 mins late.

They sat in front of me, and had left before half time after talking about the "loike totally amazing hair straightener" they had got for Xmas! I'm sure LR aren't complaining that the games are seen as social occasions though, and I certainly will be enjoying a social hot whiskey at the Bath game next month!

At the last L Vs M match a few weeks ago there were a bunch of girlies in front of me who spent a good portion of the game trying to get Rob Kearney's attention. Still at least they they were easy on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

wixfjord wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    That's what we all should do when Munster come to town!

Definitely a huge element of that still in the RDS. Eejits leaving for pints every three seconds...
    I found the Sportsground and Thomond Pk to be as bad in that respect. Think thats more a case of them being Irish than from a particular corner of it. The bar-conveyor belt is prevalent at GAA games, soccer games, Horse Show, cricket in the likes of Clontarf...you name it, its there. Remember the uproar over pub closure on a Good Friday game in Limerick and the special allowance made just so supporters could get a pint too? A state law was bent just to allow match-goers/viewers a beer!

The only ground I know where folk go to a game, shout heads off and sing for 40 minutes, go to loo/get a beer then shout heads off and sing for another 40 minutes is actually Ravenhill.

Fairweathers/event junkies/barflies are certainly not limited to one area/region/postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JustinDee wrote:
    Fairweathers/event junkies/barflies are certainly not limited to one area/region/postcode.
    Ah yeah, but the good looking female ones are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

GerM wrote: »
    Just watching it again, Glasgow try was poor refereeing. Nathan was part of the ruck, bound on and took the ball and went. Makes no difference, certainly a few decisions went Leinster's way that I didn't agree with but that's a fairly glaring one.

Yeah I thought that as well. Infact, if you watch it again the SH has his hands on the ball first as well, so he must've handed it forward to Nathan.

Just saw that Madigan took the last conversion from a drop!

Also, I would have hoped that we pushed on and scored a few more tries in the second half. Could be crucial come the end of the group for seedings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Was probably trying to make sure Nacewa wouldn't come in and take the ball for the conversion!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Didn't Mike Tindall miss one recently from an England breakaway try? Think it was against South Africa and Ashton (?) scored under the posts and Tindall tracked him, and went to take it asap because the clock was against them and he screwed it wide from in front of the posts.

I remember Holwell doing it from out wide in a game against Castres when we were chasing a try bonus, and landing it too.

On the topic of Madigan, dude has one sweet pass. Ian Humphreys like at moving the ball.

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Didn't Mike Tindall miss one recently from an England breakaway try? Think it was against South Africa and Ashton (?) scored under the posts and Tindall tracked him, and went to take it asap because the clock was against them and he screwed it wide from in front of the posts.

I remember Holwell doing it from out wide in a game against Castres when we were chasing a try bonus, and landing it too.

On the topic of Madigan, dude has one sweet pass. Ian Humphreys like at moving the ball.

He's also seriously quick and great on his feet too. I'm liking him the more I see, lovely cameo yesterday.

Game management and penalty kicking will come in time.
    Funny that at this stage he's done more than Keatley has done though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Read in the Indo today that Sykes picked up a shoulder injury and that was the rationale for leaving him out of the squads. He's out for next week but will be back for Cardiff game.

One thing I've learnt as a Leinster fan is paitence - lets give him a season and a half and go from there! 12 months ago I wouldn't have put Toner anywhere the team but look how he has come on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement