Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Jackman wasn't ever really competitive enough to get 20 Irish caps was he!?

Surely he was quite a way down the list of suitables?

He had a great season in 2007-8, was playing brilliantly for Leinster and got a couple of caps, but it was always in a dynamic, ball-carrying way and he never really mastered the basics of hooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He's a very intelligent guy and a good analyst in fairness to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jackman wasn't ever really competitive enough to get 20 Irish caps was he!?

Surely he was quite a way down the list of suitables?

Perhaps not as a starter always but for a year near the end he was arguably the best hooker in the country. He started for Ireland in the 2008 6N. If he was a reliable thrower he would have definitely had another 10-15 caps. His throwing simply made him a non-option for the majority of his career. We had no other hooker as aggressive in the loose. He would have provided a very good bench option.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Cheika was brilliant either way. His contribution to Leisnter and Ireland should never be underrated. That tough attitude transformed the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cheika was brilliant either way. His contribution to Leisnter and Ireland should never be underrated. That tough attitude transformed the squad.

... but that wouldn't have lasted. He tempered the squad, but JS gave them the work etiquette that got them through a tough campaign last year and hopefully will set the tone for a team with a good work ethic.

If Cheika was still here morale would probably be below 0.

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    He's a very intelligent guy and a good analyst in fairness to him.

yeah this exactly. He's gotten experience at a level that not many good analysts can compare to. His blog posts are brilliant reading, he's completely on the money with a lot of his analysis of the game now.

Unfortunately his book was mostly a whinge. Once he removed himself from the stories his knowledge of the game really shone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The way I see it Cheika sternly brought them from being teenagers to the brink of manhood. And Schmidt is treating them like the men they are now.

God that sounds gay.

In cheikas last year the brand of rugby we were playing was getting increasingly miserable.

He was generally excellent for us but it was defo time for him to move on.

In cheikas last year the brand of rugby we were playing was getting increasingly miserable.

He was generally excellent for us but it was defo time for him to move on.

It was Gaffneyesque. Oh wait :/

I agree though. It was an extremely dour style of rugby, Schmidt is a vast improvement from a fans point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Though, I think the defensive harness Cheika brought to us has remained. Or at least the mentality remains that defense is important. As entertaining as it may have been, the Toulouse game in 2006(?) was appalling. If we were better defensively then we would have won things. I far prefer seeing leinster win by 25-9 than 48-47 (or even 72-65)...

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    Though, I think the defensive harness Cheika brought to us has remained. Or at least the mentality remains that defense is important. As entertaining as it may have been, the Toulouse game in 2006(?) was appalling. If we were better defensively then we would have won things. I far prefer seeing leinster win by 25-9 than 48-47 (or even 72-65)...

The defense isn't as good as it was under McQuilikin unfortunately. But I think that also has to do with the more offensive and risky attacking style, leaving players more likely to be out of position. Its such a shame we can't see McQuilkin working with Schmidt... Although a future Ireland coaching team of McQuilkin and Gibbes working under Schmidt is a recurring dream of mine (it's my happy place).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

wixfjord wrote: »
    Leo has a book coming out too!

**** it, we all know it's going to be ****e, yet how many of us are going to buy it?!

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/olsc/8931.php

Anyone got Rhapsody in Blue yet btw?

That is the worst cover and title I have ever seen on a book in my life.

If someone told me that was photoshopped by a Munster supporter as a joke I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

pajunior wrote: »
    That is the worst cover and title I have ever seen on a book in my life.

If someone told me that was photoshopped by a Munster supporter as a joke I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh dear God, what was he thinking!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Jaysus sales for the Bath game in the Aviva are surprisingly low?

26,000, suppose there's a month or so to go, but even still, long way to go.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8631.php

Got a lovely pair on the halfway line upper tier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I would say they will do a few of those power hour things soon to get numbers up!!! I have my season ticket so I will be there anyway!!!!:D

Frustratingly the return leg is sold out and I'm living over in the UK :mad:

Frustratingly the return leg is sold out and I'm living over in the UK :mad:

there'll be tickets available on the day I imagine. Will be heading down myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Now that a home BP is crucial in that match I figure it'll start selling a lot more.

It is very close to Christmas, plus Bath's lack of recent success hardly inspires the paying public. Clermont were close to the best team in Europe and they pulled a crowd of 40,000.
    Still I would have thought that the memories of the games in 05/06 would have pulled a few more punters.

Looks like they'll be struggling to get 40k in.
    Its priced well - family of four for €50 so no complaints there.

Bath just arent sexy these days.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Now that a home BP is crucial in that match I figure it'll start selling a lot more.

A decent game of Ruby in the first leg could possibly add a large number of people.

Also when did we start thinking that 26,000 was a unsatisfactory crowd for a Leinster Rugby match :P

Squad update here:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8941.php
    The Leinster management are optimistic that Fergus McFadden will come back into contention after missing Sunday’s 38-13 victory over Glasgow Warriors in the RDS. Lock Damian Browne (shoulder) could also come back into the selection mix, though a decision on his availability will be confirmed at Friday’s lunchtime team announcement.
    Mat Berquist (knee) has stepped up his rehabilitation in recent weeks and it is hoped that he will be available over the Christmas period while it is thought that Dominic Ryan, who captained the 'A' side away against Esher RFC, will be out for between four and six weeks after sustaining an ankle injury.

With the province’s ‘A’ team recording their second successive bonus point victory in the B&I Cup (a 42-20 victory over Melrose in Donnybrook on Saturday), a number of other players could force their way into the squad for the away trip to Treviso.

Eoin O’Malley’s brace of tries on Sunday brought his tournament tally to 3 in 3 games, while Jonathan Sexton has now kicked 66 points in 4 provincial appearances so far this season. Sean O’Brien’s next appearance will be his 60th in Leinster colours, while Eoin Reddan is in line to become Leinster’s latest half centurion when he made his 47th appearance on his 31st birthday last Sunday.

Meanwhile, with over 2,000 tickets having been purchased in the hours after Sunday’s win over Glasgow Warriors, ticket sales for the Round 4 Heineken Cup clash against Bath in the Aviva Stadium on Saturday, 17th December (KO: 6pm) have now passed the 27,200 mark and are ON SALE NOW HERE and from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Good news I suppose that Berquist is soon back, but to be honest, I was enjoying seeing Madigan get some good opportunities to show he can thrive at this level.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same, although Berquist looked a good player, particularly attacking wise.

That's one place were far stronger in than last year.

With the province’s ‘A’ team recording their second successive bonus point victory in the B&I Cup (a 42-20 victory over Melrose in Donnybrook on Saturday), a number of other players could force their way into the squad for the away trip to Treviso.

Sounds like they could be starting to spin a "trial by fire" youth run-out.

Shame that Dom Ryan is out for 6 weeks, he's been unlucky with injury this season after such a great start.

Berquist won't really be needed anymore tbh. He was really only to cover Sexton for the WC. Madigan took his opportunity and should certainly be our starting out half during the 6N when Sexton is involved elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭AtItAllDayRef

Sounds like they could be starting to spin a "trial by fire" youth run-out.

Shame that Dom Ryan is out for 6 weeks, he's been unlucky with injury this season after such a great start.

its the IRFU thats dictating the youth policy. Internationals only allowed to play 6 games from the start of the HC to the end of Dec. 4 HC games and two Pro12 games. Means a lot of youngsters will be given a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I agree its a myth and mostly untrue.

However........

In an attempt to dispell the mytht I took a soccerball loving mate to a match recently.

The lady in front of us spent the match passing around smoked salmon and cream cheese aperitifs to her friends, and then she produced a bottle of Sancerre white wine and glasses.

It was priceless.

I haven't lived it down since. The myth isnt totally untrue....

Are you implying that scumbags can't have a few little luxuries? So much for equality.:D:D:D
    "She produced a bottle of Sancerre white wine and glasses."

It was priceless.
    It's o.k. but not that expensive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The Leinster forwards coach Jonno Gibbes mentioned in his inerview on LTV that there is going to be some rotation and a bit of a reward for some guys who did well in the A games.

Could we see McGrath come in to take a bench spot or Hagan coming into the starting team.

Does anyone know the story about the B&I cup. Last year there was 4 pools of 6 and 2 got through to the QF. This year there are 6 pools of 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

its the IRFU thats dictating the youth policy. Internationals only allowed to play 6 games from the start of the HC to the end of Dec. 4 HC games and two Pro12 games. Means a lot of youngsters will be given a shot.

That's 3 games. There's a lot of fringe players and NIQ players jostling for games too. Toner, McLaughlin, Fitzgerald, Brown, Carr, Hagan. That's without mentioning relatively experienced youngsters like EOM, Kearney and Madigan; if the coach wants to rotate the players and put out a strong, experienced side in each game, he still has the option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement