Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm confused. :confused:

The Pro12 website and Leinster Rugby website say nothing about the Treviso match being televised, but Leinster's twitter say it is being televised on RTE?

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Nevermind... I see it is being televised. YUSS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    I'm confused. :confused:

The Pro12 website and Leinster Rugby website say nothing about the Treviso match being televised, but Leinster's twitter say it is being televised on RTE?

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Nevermind... I see it is being televised. YUSS!!
    Rei only signed a deal to broadcast deals in Italy (and supply feed to other broadcasters) last week and Pro12 have not updated their website

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gonna have to pray for some Twomint action for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Some info for anyone in town.
    Slatterys on Shelbourne Rd will be showing any games played in Italy.

JustinDee wrote: »

Are all Italian games only available on that one Italian channel? Or are there possibilities for the games to be shown on TG4/RTE in the coming season? (I accept it probably would take some time for an agreement to be drafted).

Thanks

• Advertisement

Are all Italian games only available on that one Italian channel? Or are there possibilities for the games to be shown on TG4/RTE in the coming season? (I accept it probably would take some time for an agreement to be drafted).

Thanks
    The Treviso game is on RTE this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thanks

No idea.
    I have lunch in that place from time to time and the bar manager just mentioned that they've the right decoder to show Italian RaboDirect games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Off topic question - Is Slatterys on Shelbourne Road, Upper Grand Canal Street, Bath Avenue, or (maybe) South Lotts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Crash wrote: »
    Off topic question - Is Slatterys on Shelbourne Road, Upper Grand Canal Street, Bath Avenue, or (maybe) South Lotts?

At the junction of all of them! :D

It's officially on Grand Canal Street though.

• Advertisement

Crash wrote: »

I call it 'Down the road from the Beggars Bush'.

Leinster Rugby are delighted to announce this year's graduates from the HETAC (Higher Education and Training Awards Council) programme for 2011 are Jason Harris-Wright, Ian McKinley, Tom Sexton and Eamonn Sheridan...

The quartet received their Diplomas in Professional Rugby at an awards ceremony in the RDS on Wednesday afternoon and follow in the footsteps of Fionn Carr, Matthew D'Arcy, Felix Jones, Ross McCarron, Conor McInerney, Kevin McLaughlin, Shane Monahan, Sean O'Brien, James Power, Jonathan Sexton, Richie Sweeney, Devin Toner, Kyle Tonetti and Cillian Willis who have all graduated from the same programme in recent years.

Overseen by Academy Manager Colin McEntee in conjunction with Tom Turner (Academy Fitness Coach) and Caroline Keane (Academy Administrator), the programme encompasses a three-year supplementary course in modules such as Rugby Technical, Tactical, Generic, Fitness, Lifestyle, Media and Psychological skills.

Leinster Rugby would also like to acknowledge the continued support of those conducting the modules over the course of the diploma ranging from Leinster and IRFU staff together with outside professionals specific to each module.

Special thanks to the support team of Girvan Dempsey, Wayne Mitchell and John Fogarty (Elite Player Development Officers) and also Dave Fagan, Sami Dowling and Bryan Cullen (Age Grade Strength and Conditioning Coaches) for their hard work.

Leinster Academy Manager Colin McEntee commented:"The Diploma in Professional Rugby is a very important part of the Leinster Academy programme and we pride ourselves on our provincial development pathway and in encouraging players to have the best all-round education on and off the field.

“Through our association with HETAC, it enables Leinster Rugby to conduct a course, culminating in a Diploma, which is specifically designed to prepare for all aspects of professional sport. We are delighted that four more of our Academy graduates have received their Diplomas today and we wish Jason, Ian, Tom and Eamonn every success in the future."

LEINSTER ACADEMY BOARD: Frank Sowman (Chairman), Michael Dawson, Guy Easterby, Philip Lawlor, Colin McEntee, Phil Orr and Ben Underwood (who replaced Des Lamont).

Source

Great to see McKinley grab that. Top bloke, such a shame he's career ended so shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

See piece in this evening's Herald that Luke is happy to play centre.

By Des Berry

Wednesday November 23 2011

TIMING can be everything. It is one of the mesmerising facts in Luke Fitzgerald's rugby career that he has started a Test match for the British & Irish Lions but not yet played in a World Cup.

Still just 24, Fitzgerald was viewed as too young by Eddie O'Sullivan for RWC 2007 in France, on-song for Warren Gatland on the Lions tour to South Africa in 2009 and out-of-favour for Declan Kidney in New Zealand this year. It is the roller-coaster reality of his profession.

While Fergus McFadden and Eoin O'Malley have taken it in turns to make definite claims for the outside berth vacated by Brian O'Driscoll's operation and rehabilitation, Fitzgerald wants to broaden his playing horizon.

After all, he did spend much of the first half-dozen PRO12 League matches at inside centre, more out of necessity than a long-term plan.

"We were short of centres. I've played a couple of internationals in the centre. It was an easy fit for me and the team at that time," he said, ahead of Leinster's next PRO12 test away to Benetton Treviso on Saturday.

"I definitely enjoyed my time in there. It is not something I have consciously made a move towards. It is just the way things have panned out with Ferg (McFadden), Brian (O'Driscoll) and Darce (Gordon D'Arcy) away at the World Cup.

"Since then, with Brian being injured, it seemed like it was up for grabs until Ferg and Eoin's (O'Malley) brilliant performances (in the Heineken Cup). I would be keen to get time in there. Joe knows that. But, I will do whatever fits the team best."

It wasn't that long ago that Fitzgerald had lost contact with his game. This was manifested most obviously in his tendency to over-run the ball. He was trying too hard, too quickly.

"It was something I was very conscious of. I had a bit of a rough patch during the Six Nations and for a couple of games after it when I definitely wasn't playing well," he said. "I was very conscious of a lot of things in my game that I was rushing."

The solution to his problem of recapturing his former form has been to look back at what made him the hottest property in Irish rugby in 2009.

"I try to slow down the thought processes that I'm going through," he said. "On the pitch, I am probably one of those players who has more time than I think I have at times. It is something I have been working on and it has been working for me so far.

"There is that saying -- great players do the simple things exceptionally well. When I was going through that tough patch, you look back on what you were doing well (before that). I did the simple things well. I think I am doing that at the moment."

It is as simple as that

.... this is getting interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I call it 'Down the road from the Beggars Bush'.

I think you'll find it's accross the road from the Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Very mature approach from Fitz there.

It seems at odds there though with what Schmidt said in a previous interview when he said Lukey wasn't keen on playing centre but was doing it for the team, whereas here he says he's keen to play center.

I think he'd be a brilliant center. He could be one of the best in the world. I'd love to see himself and O'Malley at 12 and 13 again.

I think Fitzy at 12 with Ferg on 13 would be great. It'd make up for a lot of Ferg's failings, his unwillingness to pass but blistering pace might work nicely alongside Fitzy's step and lovely offload. I think EOM and Fitzy together might prove too light in the midfield... EOM looked great on Sunday because he was popping off Darce's crash n' bash runs. In essence Darce did all the work for his try by taking the ball right up to the gain line and sucking in the defenders whilst popping up a lovely pass.

In theory there's a lovely stock of center partnerships that could work very well.. The proof is in the pudding however, and I'd love to see a definite partnership form by the time the home Bath game rolls around.

.ak wrote: »
    In theory there's a lovely stock of center partnerships that could work very well.. The proof is in the pudding however, and I'd love to see a definite partnership form by the time the home Bath game rolls around.

I reckon we saw it last weekend. I think McFadden and EOM will each get a game at 13 in the next two weekends as a shoot out but the pendulum has creaked away from McFadden in the past fortnight.

I would agree though that the Fitz/McFadden combo could be a very interesting one but only on the basis that McFadden's defensive decision making improves. He's very good at getting on the shoulder and has the pace. Fitz could the spark that his attacking game at 13 needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    I reckon we saw it last weekend. I think McFadden and EOM will each get a game at 13 in the next two weekends as a shoot out but the pendulum has creaked away from McFadden in the past fortnight.

I would agree though that the Fitz/McFadden combo could be a very interesting one but only on the basis that McFadden's defensive decision making improves. He's very good at getting on the shoulder and has the pace. Fitz could the spark that his attacking game at 13 needs.

Imo there is no way McFadden should be starting at 13 anymore with EOM available. He's just a better 13, in basically every way. He's a better passer, he runs better lines, he's not as powerful and won't put in huge hits but his positioning is vastly superior. McFadden is quicker, stronger, more aggressive, but not suited to 13 imo.

danthefan wrote: »
    Imo there is no way McFadden should be starting at 13 anymore with EOM available. He's just a better 13, in basically every way. He's a better passer, he runs better lines, he's not as powerful and won't put in huge hits but his positioning is vastly superior. McFadden is quicker, stronger, more aggressive, but not suited to 13 imo.

Yup. Generally agree. EOM has all the subtle touches needed that makes a 13 good. I see McFadden as an industrious winger; he has pace to burn, very powerful and is a good one on one tackler with a man running directly at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Shame it didn't work out for him at Leinster. I imagine they will be relieved to get him off the books if he wasn't part of the future plans.

• Advertisement

wixfjord wrote: »
    Jaysus sales for the Bath game in the Aviva are surprisingly low?

26,000, suppose there's a month or so to go, but even still, long way to go.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8631.php

Got a lovely pair on the halfway line upper tier.
    27,200 now.

A long time to go to sell the rest of the tickets. I don't think it will be a sell out, is not a knockout game and its not the French champions or Munster, that said I would not be surprised to see 45,000 showing up at lansdowne road which I think would be a great turnout.

Best of luck to O'Donoghue over in Wasps. I hope he shows some ability over there cause he never impressed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There's a month or so before the game, and we've only just under 30k tickets sold?

OH NOES.

There's a month or so before the game, and we've only just under 30k tickets sold?

OH NOES.

Just re-watched the Glasgee game. Jaaaaysus the commentary was woeful. Also we were lucky not to concede a few tries in the first 20 of the second half. They had numbers on several occasions but luckily got greedy and often took the ball into contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Only just got to see the game from the weekend there. Rather than dragging up the match thread I'll just post in here.

I was really impressed with that 15 minute blitz in the first half, we were so clinical. Can't big up this win too much though, it's more of a job done against a poor Glasgow side - they just didn't do themselves justice at all.

It was good to see Cronin doing well on his first HEC start. He seems to be settling well and takes a lot of pressure of Strauss having to play every game. The other Connacht signing, Carr, did well with his cameo. Seemed to get a lot of ball and other than one time, when he made a break and should've popped it to Cronin on the outside, he did the right thing. Good basics which is something he struggled doing against his former team.

I was really impressed with O'Brien in the first 40 too, it was a real classic openside performance. He tackled, cleared our rucks and was a nuisance at theirs, linked really well (D'Arcy's try) and made one or two trade mark carries. It's obviously been noted that he was becoming too predictable so it's good to see that being rectified and him having the ability to change his game.

O'Brien doing more of the so called 'unseen' work also freed up Heaslip to have a bigger impact on the game with his carrying which is always good. He has so many different aspects to his game, such a class player and with O'Brien now changing up his game we have two seriously versatile top players on our hands.

Have to say I was slightly disappointed with McLaughlin. He didn't have much impact in the lineout which is something I reckon he's starting for and he seemed to be receiving the ball far too deep to make the gain line. Jennings looked really hungry when he came so there's definitely options in the backrow.

For me it's still the SOB-Jenno-Heaslip backrow as our best but after todays performance O'Brien can definitely be a top class 7 as well. Great news for Ireland because if O'Brien plays like that at 7 and Ferris can stay fit then the Fez-SOB-Heaslip backrow will become the best in the world.

Sexton and Reddan were excellent as always. Thought the back three were great too. Fitz showed up well at 12 too. Glad to hear him say he's interested in playing there. O'Malley definitely looked the part at 13. Great basics, took his tries well, couldn't really have asked for more. He must be ahead of McFadden for the 13 jersey now. Not to over state is performance but if he can continue that then he's a definite option for the 6N. Tough competition from Cave and the heir apparent(...) Earls though.

TL;DR: Delighted with the win but we're not clear yet. Double header against Bath will be crucial. First game away if we can get the win I'll be a lot happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

I thought i was the only person who thought that!! Ferg would be way more suited to first centre, the long term replacement for Darce imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I still don't see McFadden as suited to 12. He needs to learn to pass better if he's going to play there.

seems to be a direct like for like replacement for Horgan tbh.

Disappointing to be fair, I always thought that he'd make it in the centre, but he doesn't seem have the awareness that guys like Fitz and EOM have shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Good point, shame tho as we have so many wingers, its centres we need to be cultivating!

• Advertisement

iamjenko wrote: »
    Good point, shame tho as we have so many wingers, its centres we need to be cultivating!

It's often the case that players end up in the centre having done their apprenticeship elsewhere. Earls, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, Nonu, Umaga, de Villiers, Steyn, Lamont, Roberts, Fourie...all of them played significant parts of their early international careers in the back three before moving into midfield. I'm not too worried; we need to make a decision though and quickly. There aren't many naturally born centres unless they're bosh merchants. That's why someone like Darren Cave should really be given a shot I feel. He's a natural outside centre and the first to emerge arguably since BOD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement