Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It was during the Leinster match bizarrely enough. It's on their podcast

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/sport/leo-cullen/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Good to get the win over in Treviso. Before mentioning Leinster I have to say Treviso are improving so much since their introduction to the league. Going over to Italy is no where near as easy as it once was, so any kind of win there is a great result. I almost felt for them not getting to BP but that's pro sport.

With all that said it was a fairly sloppy Leinster performance from what I saw, which was limited by the crappy stream I was stuck with. While the defense seemed tight there was a real lack of pace and aggression to it, so Treviso, while never making a straight break, were getting over the gain line and producing easy ball for their 9.
    To be fair there was a lot of guys coming in who haven't played this level in a few weeks and other guys coming down from the HEC intensity last week, but either way playing with such a lack of intensity will see us lose most games - in fact we were lucky to get away with the win just lucky their kicker bottled his last few chances.

Healy doesn't look fit at all and once again I wasn't overly impressed with Hagan - there was a notable improvement in the scrum when White came on(according to the match thread). Good shift from Cronin though, he's coming into his own more and more. The rest of the pack seemed alright, apart from the lack of intensity. We've gotten fairly lucky with Auva'a as he seems well able for pro 12 level and we were a bit short of cover at No. 8.

Madigan again looked great with ball in hand, lovely pass for the first try, putting O'Malley outside his man, but his control of the game still has a long way to go - it will come with experience, hopefully. O'Malley again looked good. Did the basics well and had a hand in the first two tries and took his own one very well. Carr looked sharp and Fitz did the job, which was a relief considering last year. Apparently he was played there because Nacewa's on maternity and Kearney had to be rest due to player welfare scheme. McFadden did well, tackled hard and kicked well from the tee. Might he have more of a future on the wing than in the centre, hard to say really but for the time being he'll be playing second fiddle to D'Arce and O'Malley.

Didn't get to see the bench's impact but it's great to have experienced players like Boss, Heaslip and McLaughlin to call in when the match is as close as it was today. 4 points in the bag and with Munster and Ospreys winning as well it was important to get those 4 points to keep us right up there.

Cardiff next Friday so a 6 day turn around. Safe to assume there'll be plenty of changes to the team, with the bigger names coming in to build some momentum for the following week. Wales play Oz on the Saturday so Cardiff will be short a few of their bigger names. Even this far out I'd be hoping for a BP, we'll need to start getting them or we'll fall behind Munster who have a real knack for getting the try BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Think Nacewa on paternity...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Think Nacewa on paternity...

Yeah, I hadn't noticed a bump...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

CouchSmart wrote: »

Cardiff next Friday so a 6 day turn around. Safe to assume there'll be plenty of changes to the team, with the bigger names coming in to build some momentum for the following week. Wales play Oz on the Saturday so Cardiff will be short a few of their bigger names. Even this far out I'd be hoping for a BP, we'll need to start getting them or we'll fall behind Munster who have a real knack for getting the try BP.

I think Cardiff have only had their Welsh players for 2 games so far this season. Halfpenny and Henson (Yes I know he's not with Wales at the moment) haven't played at all for them and Roberts has only played once.

They're coping pretty well without them so I wouldn't see them as a pushover next week. They've 4 try BP and 1 losing BP so far from their 8 games.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

1.Healy
    2.Cronin
    3.Ross
    4.Cullen
    5.Toner
    6.O'Brien
    7.Jennings
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Fitzgerald
    12.D'arcy
    13.O'Malley
    14.McFadden
    15.Kearney

All Irish and a good enough team to win the Heineken Cup. Even without O'Driscoll. Then add to that list players like Hagan, Browne, McLaughlin, Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Auva'va, Boss, Madigan, Carr, Conway, Macken

Its actually insane how many quality Irish eligible players Leinster currently has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Higher wrote: »
    1.Healy
    2.Cronin
    3.Ross
    4.Cullen
    5.Toner
    6.O'Brien
    7.Jennings
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Fitzgerald
    12.D'arcy
    13.O'Malley
    14.McFadden
    15.Kearney

All Irish and a good enough team to win the Heineken Cup. Even without O'Driscoll. Then add to that list players like Hagan, Browne, McLaughlin, Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Auva'va, Boss, Madigan, Carr, Conway, Macken

Its actually insane how many quality Irish eligible players Leinster currently has.

Excellent team alright, but would it really be good enough to win the Heineken Cup? Without Strauss, Hines and Nacewa in such good form I doubt Leinster would have won it last year, and I think we'll need the NIQs in good form again to retain it this year.

However I think you're fundamental point is right, Leinster can field a very good team of Irish players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ambid wrote: »
    Excellent team alright, but would it really be good enough to win the Heineken Cup? Without Strauss, Hines and Nacewa in such good form I doubt Leinster would have won it last year, and I think we'll need the NIQs in good form again to retain it this year.

However I think you're fundamental point is right, Leinster can field a very good team of Irish players.

And he left Boss and Horgan off his list. Yeah, we wouldn't have won without the NIQs, but if Cronin can maintain his form, Strauss becomes less critical and Toner's apparent improvement might mitigate the loss of Hines, Nacewa is irreplaceable though, whether he's at 14 or 15 the back three is much weaker without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Nacewa is obviously a superb player but his worth has increased somewhat because apart from a broken arm just after he arrived he's pretty much never been injured. In the meantime Kearney, Fitz and now Horgan have all had very serious long term injuries. Since April 2009 there have only been very rare and short term windows when all 4 have been available. I'm pretty confident a Fitz/Horgan/Kearney back 3 would be good enough for a HEC winning side.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Any news on Fitzy's hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Healy doesn't look fit at all and once again I wasn't overly impressed with Hagan - there was a notable improvement in the scrum when White came on(according to the match thread).

Good post. Agree with most of your points except the above. Healy was fine, it was the tighthead position we were suffering from in the scrum. Healy was all over the park, getting over ball quite a lot, and I think he was unlucky to get on the wrong side of Clancy once or twice. Hagan unfortunately had a terrible game. White definitely was solid and stopped the scrum pivoting backwards and turning on the tighthead side.

All in all a win was great, considering how well Treviso played and that we lost there last year. All things considering to come away with a win was great - it's a pity we didn't capitalize on the opportunity to get a BP victory, but hey , as said we were doing well just to win it...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Right - not looking to open up the NIQ debate or anything but I think that we can all agree that from a purely selfish Leinster perspective, we enjoy watching NIQ's come in and really add to the squad.

In this regard I must admit that I have been very impressed with the impact Nathan White has had in each game he's played! He snuck under the radar when we signed him and remember it got a bit of stick on here as we were expecting him to be a journeyman of some sorts but he has been excellent!

As much as I want to see Hagan thriving and developing behind Ross, I think we are begininng to see what Joe has maybe seen for a bit - i.e. he's not fit enough or developed enough to deserve a starting spot!

We can argue that he won't get fit or develop if he doesn't get game time but as a Leinster supporter are people on here willing to gamble that he will come good if required or should he be used sparingly this year and look to push ahead of White next year?

Also, is Hagan the only real successor we have to Ross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

geekington wrote: »
    Also, is Hagan the only real successor we have to Ross?

Ross will be in position for the next 3 years or so. He's 31, about to turn 32, so prime for a tighthead. He's not exactly a mobile, around the park type of player. He has a good injury record so no reason he can't play to the same level for another 3 years. Hagan has plenty of time to develop and improve. Currently, he is struggling a bit and that's partly due to a new set up and there's also an element of improving his fitness up to the level required to play the Leinster style of game. There are a number of front five players, Ross included, that were on the outside due to fitness levels.

In Leinster, the next 3-4 years will see Martin Moore and Tadhg Furlong come through. I would be very surprised if neither of those boys were able to come through to Pro12 level at least. They're genuine tightheads. Technically strong scrummagers without being massive specimens. Both are good carriers and only entered the academy. Future should be alright in terms of raw materials to develop but there's a lot of work to be done behind the scenes both by players and the coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

durkadurka wrote: »
    I recommend you listen to Leo cullen's interview on newstalk today. Good interview, particularly the detail on how he discovered one of his balls out of his sack....remember that game?
    Leo has gone up a notch in my admiration for him, I think any other guy would have dropped at the sight of his ball on the wrong side of his sack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Ross was also a little shaky in his first season with us, as Ger said it's a wee bit of time and patience needed with Hagan. I think Schmidt is handling it well so far, gradually with the A squad, a start against Treviso.....I'd imagine this time next year we'll be laughing.

Reckon = hope..... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

From talking to someone who knows Hagan, apparently he has been told to focus on improving his scrummaging and little else this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Its good to hear that he has been told to focus on scrummaging. Same with hooker, your primary job is to provide set piece ball and without this no matter how good you are around the pitch you are you will stuggle to nail down a test position!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

smurphy29 wrote: »
    From talking to someone who knows Hagan, apparently he has been told to focus on improving his scrummaging and little else this season.

Interesting. Schmidt and Feek do love a good scrum. It's great they have a clear plan for him - he can't ask for any more than that in fairness.

I hope geekington is right about hooker and they give the same guidance to Cronin. His throws have been better recently and I always remember hearing about Flannery just practicing throwing for hours. BBC did a piece on Best recently and he built a contraption on his farm to practice his throwing. Hook did a piece on RTE about how Anton Oliver only figured our the best throwing technique for him towards the end of his career. I imagine for a professional with aptitude and application, it should be possible to significantly improve performance. If Cronin can significantly his lineouts he could be outstanding.

No new injury concerns reported from the weekend anyway, so hopefully Luke's hand injury was nothing major. Nacewa back as well.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8987.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Good news that there were no injuries so. Hard to know what to read into 'Some of the Irish International contingent may also be available.' I think we'll expect more mixing and matching with the full side in mind for the following week. With Cardiff missing their Welsh contingent we will be overwhelming favourites.

R Kearney
    Conway (V Unlikely)
    O' Malley
    McFadden
    Nacewa
    Sexton
    Reddan
    Van Der Merwe
    Strauss
    Ross
    Cullen
    Toner
    McLaughlin
    Jennings
    Heaslip

Cronin
    Healy
    Hagan/White
    Browne
    O' Brien
    Boss
    Madigan
    Macken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cardiff will be a tricky opponent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I imagine any Irish internationals who started against Treviso will not start against Cardiff.

15. Kearney
    14. Nacewa
    13. O'Malley
    12. McFadden
    11. Carr
    10. Sexton
    9. Boss
    8. Heaslip
    7. Jennings
    6. McLaughlin
    5. Toner
    4. Cullen
    3. Ross
    2. Strauss
    1. VDM

Very strong team actually. Would be well happy with something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What's going on with Sykes these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

What's going on with Sykes these days?

He was unavailable for 2 weeks with a shoulder injury there recently I believe. That was either the weekend before the one just gone by or the one before that, so if the 2 weeks holds he should be back in contention (in theory) either now or by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyone know how Conway is doing, I haven't heard anything about him recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've not heard or seen anything positive from Sykes yet, and he's had issues. He'll be given plenty of time I'm sure to earn a shot at the team, but he's had a bad start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

decisions wrote: »
    Anyone know how Conway is doing, I haven't heard anything about him recently...

Just recently back from injury. Played in the last two A games and was impressive. Tore it up in one of them.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I imagine any Irish internationals who started against Treviso will not start against Cardiff.

15. Kearney
    14. Nacewa
    13. O'Malley
    12. McFadden
    11. Carr
    10. Sexton
    9. Boss
    8. Heaslip
    7. Jennings
    6. McLaughlin
    5. Toner
    4. Cullen
    3. Ross
    2. Strauss
    1. VDM

Very strong team actually. Would be well happy with something along those lines.

Yeah will be very close to that I reckon. Healy might get a run since he was injured and may still have a bit of scope under player mgmt. Toner could be rested too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Cardiff will be a tricky opponent.

Yup, good side. However, take out their 7 or so internationals and they're nowhere near as good. To be honest, I'll be very disappointed if we don't get 4 points. We'll have 3 or 4 of our internationals involved and home advantage. Hope we have a cut at them and throw it around a bit if we're in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Brendan Macken's impression of Ryle Nugent.. :D

http://youtu.be/snHxrMDeIbY

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement