Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Username37 wrote: »
    Ha its actually incredible. I reckon had Wallace gotten three consecutive MOTM performances like O'Brien did we'd probably never hear the end of it.

It's easy stand out when the rest of the team are sub standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

phog wrote: »

MOTM is for every player who played, so the best of 46. And sub standard, Leinster have a longer winning streak than Munster at the moment, so you're argument is very poor, almost bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Jaysus its amazing the mileage that one run is getting!

I said it twice. Whats wrong, it sounds like you are finding it hard to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Leinster are a sub standard team :confused:

Since when?

thanked for irony.

The baiting that goes on in between "the lads" on here is excellent! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Pathetic.

Sean O'Brien is the best young back-row player in the country. He should be getting game time at international level, particularly in non-competetive* games, like the autumn internationals, and particularly leading up to a world cup.

It's impossible to argue that Wallace has been picked on anything other than favourtisim. Leamy and O'Brien have both been far better this season, and this is a wasted oppertunity. Wallace has shown nothing to suggest he'll be up to it at world cup time, he's steadily gotten more and more anonomys over the last while, and I'm not saying he's not a good player, he is, but he's no longer the best and the future should be considered instead of trying to get every last ounze out of players like Wallace, Quinlan, Hayes etc.

tolosenc wrote: »
    MOTM is for every player who played, so the best of 46. And sub standard, Leinster have a longer winning streak than Munster at the moment, so you're argument is very poor, almost bitter.

Winning streak? that's a lottery:D

Why are Leinster always trying to catch up to Munster, they should really aim higher to try and match the higestest achievers in Europe like Toulouse and Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Winning streak? that's a lottery:D

Why are Leinster always trying to catch up to Munster, they should really aim higher to try and match the higestest achievers in Europe like Toulouse and Leicester.

Ah Leinster have long given up trying to chase down Munster. Impossible task. Sure look at the lock situtation. With POC injured, MOD and DOC in the Irish team and Ryan on the bench, Munster have the best four in the country. How can Leinster compete with that? Now I know Leinster may have destroyed the Munster lineout in their last five encounters, but that couldnt possibly continue...

It's terrible to see a player having to retire on health grounds.
    I'll start at the finish. In Stadio Monigo in Treviso in September, half an hour down the road from Venice, I got one bang on the head too many. I call them bangs. Others would call them concussions.

Afterwards, Arthur Tanner, the Leinster doc, said to me that I needed to consider it. It came from him. I was leaving for the bus after the game and was still a bit zonked and he came over to me. 'Johnny,' he says, 'you need to start thinking about this: is it the best thing to be getting bangs?' It shocked me. 'Jesus Christ, Arthur!' I got on the bus.

Full Article here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Full Article here.

:(

Good luck to him, he was a very good player.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Very sad news on Fogarty. Also liked him as a player, and thought he was very good for us last year overall.
    Terrible news, and hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Wonder will buying three props to replace one come back to bite Leinster now, as we could do with an experienced replacement hooker. If Strauss were to go down, I wouldnt fancy JHW against Clermont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

wixfjord wrote: »
    Very sad news on Fogarty. Also liked him as a player, and thought he was very good for us last year overall.
    Terrible news, and hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Wonder will buying three props to replace one come back to bite Leinster now, as we could do with an experienced replacement hooker. If Strauss were to go down, I wouldnt fancy JHW against Clermont.

Emergency signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Emergency signing?

Getting one till the end of the season will be difficult, Leinster might have to delve into the English 1st division ranks like they did for Prescott or someone playing in Argentina like Galarza.

Whatever happened to the two Blaney brothers? One of them is at London Irish and other at Bristol I think?

Getting one till the end of the season will be difficult, Leinster might have to delve into the English 1st division ranks like they did for Prescott or someone playing in Argentina like Galarza.

Whatever happened to the two Blaney brothers?

One is playing for Bristol (David I think).
    Not sure what happened to Brian.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Full Article here.

wow i must admit im kinda shocked by that article.

there has been talk about concussion being the white elephant in the room in rugby but that really hammers home how bad it is.

the story about him passing out in the scrum against toulouse is scary.

i wish him the best and will remember the way he got stuck in against munster in thomond last yeat in particular.

i really do hope that he got out of the game before without any long term problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

wixfjord wrote: »
    One is playing for Bristol (David I think).
    Not sure what happened to Brian.

London Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

CatFromHue wrote: »
    wow i must admit im kinda shocked by that article.

there has been talk about concussion being the white elephant in the room in rugby but that really hammers home how bad it is.

the story about him passing out in the scrum against toulouse is scary.

i wish him the best and will remember the way he got stuck in against munster in thomond last yeat in particular.

i really do hope that he got out of the game before without any long term problems

That's pretty scary. Makes you worry about BOD too. And what about darce against mafi. he was out cold but played on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Emergency signing?

I really hope Leinster don't go grabbing an emergency signing. This leaves a huge opportunity for Harris-Wright. I think he has a lot of potential and every time he's come on, he handled himself impressively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

jolley123 wrote: »
    I really hope Leinster don't go grabbing an emergency signing. This leaves a huge opportunity for Harris-Wright. I think he has a lot of potential and every time he's come on, he handled himself impressively.

2 senior hookers in the squad is quite clearly not sufficient.

danthefan wrote: »

Dead right Dan. An in injury to Strauss would mean JHW, who has barely played ML, never mind HEC would be our no1, and an academy player (Tom Sexton?) on the bench. The IRFU have to see this as not only very harmful to Leinster's season, but to the players welfare also, if Sexton was needed to step up.

Think, and hope we'll see another signing like Morland, Du Preez, Guy Easterby, Holwell, and that Saffer 8 who played for Munster for a while, whose name escapes me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

****e, thats awful news for Fogarty. Hope things work out for him, I really liked him as a player. Was never worried when he was picked at hooker.

It'll have to be a new signing alright. Just hope it doesn't end up ruining JHW's chances of making an impression.

danthefan wrote: »

Fair enough, but retirements such as this can result in undiscovered talent coming through. O'Kelly's retirement has resulted in Toner getting way more game time and therefore getting on the Irish squad. Contepomi's injury/retirement has resulted in the emergence of Sexton and now that Dempsey has left, the likes of Conway are seeing way more action. You are right though, 2 hookers isn't enough. I just really hope that when they do sign someone, he doesn't overshadow JHW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ronan mccormick has also retired through injury

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/fogarty-and-mccormack-call-it-a-day-480834.html

he was a squad player who did his job as one well. i wish him the best. he also played for ulster and connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    ronan mccormick has also retired through injury

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/fogarty-and-mccormack-call-it-a-day-480834.html

he was a squad player who did his job as one well. i wish him the best. he also played for ulster and connacht

Wow I was sure he was already gone.

Shame to lose those guys in the same week.

Sad news for the lads.'

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman was asked back as emergency replacement, pending fitness to play.

Fingers crossed nothing happens Strauss, and even as a percaution, JHW should be handed a good few ML starts now, both to get him up to this level, and also to keep Strauss out of harms way, which is excellent for him and Leinster, getting the opertunity so young, cause he clearly has the talent for this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

****e, thats awful news for Fogarty. Hope things work out for him, I really liked him as a player. Was never worried when he was picked at hooker.

It'll have to be a new signing alright. Just hope it doesn't end up ruining JHW's chances of making an impression.

Yeah I agree with you - Fogarty was such a solid player. He threw in and scrummaged well and worked around the park. He was the form hooker in Ireland last season.

The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday afternoon ahead of the visit of the Dragons in Friday night's Magners League clash in the RDS (KO: 7.05pm)...
    Shaun Berne, a second half replacement in Leinster’s 19-18 victory over Edinburgh a fortnight ago, successfully stepped up his rehabilitation with an outing in Old Belvedere’s AIL victory over Shannon at the weekend.

The former Australia ‘A’ back is available for selection alongside Isaac Boss following his involvement in Ireland’s victory over Samoa on Saturday. Although there are 14 players away on international duty this week (12 with Ireland, Scotland’s Nathan Hines and Argentina’s Mariano Galarza), Leinster can still call on the services this week of experienced Ireland trio Leo Cullen, Shane Horgan and Shane Jennings.

Second row Ed O’Donoghue (knee) is also in the frame after injury while Isa Nacewa, Richardt Strauss and Heinke van der Merwe join recent signing Clint Newland in the panel alongside Rhys Ruddock and Andrew Conway, a try-scorer in the Edinburgh victory.

The team is expected to be announced on Thursday lunchtime.

With Leinster ‘A’ also in action against Ulster in Donnybrook on Saturday (KO: 1pm), there will be opportunities for the squad to impress in both games this week.

Over 14,500 tickets have now been sold for Friday’s match and tickets are still available online from Spar (Donnybrook), the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), online HERE and from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

Meanwhile, over 31,000 tickets have now been sold for ‘Fever in the Aviva’, Leinster’s Heineken Cup Round 4 clash against ASM Clermont Auvergne in the Aviva Stadium on December 18th. Tickets are available HERE.

So a fairly strong panel to choose from for Leinster at home to Dragons, and we really should be looking to take maximum points from this kind of game, internaionals or no internationals, as we hae some ground to make up after our disastorous start to the season...

The team I'd like to see:

1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Newland
    4. Cullen
    5. O'Donoghue
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Jennings
    8. Keogh / Ruddock

9. Boss
    10. Berne
    11. Conway
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley
    14. Horgan
    15. Nacewa

The return of Shaune Berne is very significant and couldn't have come at a better time. We've really struggled without a second choice 10 at all this season, and whilst Madigan has done well for such a young and inexperienced player, and Nacewa has done all he can to fill the void, we really are in a drought of options past our first two choice out halves...

I think it's a strong Leinster side, a formidable looking front row, a solid second row and a strong back row, as well as good at half back, exciting at centre and very strong in the back three, I think we should have enough fire power to look for a bonus win at home. 5 points would put us up into the leading group at the top of the table coming up to mid-season, which is where we need to be.

Hope to see Conway get a good run again and I hope Ryan continues his rise in stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we could well see Mike Ross starting at TH. Is Newland fully fit?

Looking forward to seeing JHW play and I hope that if Keogh starts, Ruddock will come on early rather than late. Interesting to see who the replacement back will be. Madigan will probably cover Berne and then I guess either Dave Kearney or Morris might be included.

Surely a win is to be expected, perhaps a bonus point. :)

• Advertisement

Good post as always Jackass, agree about the team except don't wanna see Ross or Cullen anywhere near it. Hope they're involved elsewhere this weekend.

I actually have faith in the team above to come away with a result. Leinster's depth is improving all the time, but obviously losing an entire backline to the national squad will hurt anyone!

Nacewa to be talismanic as always on these occasions. Leinster by 7!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement