Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

profitius wrote: »
    You'd have to presume Schmidt doesn't trust EOM's ability to defend against the big Bath backs.
    It's a bit simplistic.

Joe backed EO'M to play in the centre last season against the mammoth back line of Clermont-Auvergne in Clermont-Ferrand, and has backed him numerous times this season.

If he really believed O'Malley was incapable of defending bigger players, I don't think he'd ever be in the Leinster set-up.

Similarly, Fionn Carr's supposed defensive frailties are often overstated.

Joe has a clear policy of rotation, and for this game; an away Heineken Cup tie, he has simply gone with experience.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Schmidt has gone for a big strong team and McFadden fits into that system more so than O'Malley. More of a positive reflection on McF, rather than a negative reflection on O'Malley in this case, I think.

As an aside, Fionn Carr isn't in the squad because Kearney, Fitzgerald and Nacewa are seriously good players. Carr must've been working hard on his defence because he's shown up well there in his last couple of games.

Fionn Carr is a try scoring machine and one of the best attackers in Irish rugby. I can't think of many other reasons why he can't make the squad.

I agree that Schmidt has gone for the bigger man in McFadden. Thats the point I'm making. I doubt McFadden is picked for ball carrying so it must be because hes a more solid defended. Thats not to say EOM is a bad defender but it looks like Schmidt doesn't trust him 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Fionn Carr is a try scoring machine and one of the best attackers in Irish rugby. I can't think of many other reasons why he can't make the squad.

His tendency to go missing in games, and not look for work, would be why he's not in the squad imo. Again, that is an area he has improved upon recently, but not enough for the squad. With McF starting we were always going to have a centre on the bench as it gives us the most options. Being behind Fitz, Isa and Kearney is no reflection on Carr.
    I agree that Schmidt has gone for the bigger man in McFadden. Thats the point I'm making. I doubt McFadden is picked for ball carrying so it must be because hes a more solid defended. Thats not to say EOM is a bad defender but it looks like Schmidt doesn't trust him 100%.

Well by the same logic Schmidt doesn't trust Jennings, Healy, Toner and Reddan 100% defensively because he's gone for the other man in those selections. But I don't think that's the case. Horses for courses. Doesn't mean their not trusted if not picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Well by the same logic Schmidt doesn't trust Jennings, Healy, Toner and Reddan 100% defensively because he's gone for the other man in those selections.

That is serisouly terrible logic.

danthefan wrote: »
    That is serisouly terrible logic.

It is.

McFadden is clearly bigger and stronger than EOM. Schmidt may have anticipated Banahan starting at 13 and figured McFadden would do a better job there, it's a perfectly reasonable argument. I would not have picked McFadden if I were Schmidt, but that's why he's paid the big bucks. There has been one or two instances in recent games where EOM has been brushed off when trying to tackle.

Following that by saying he must have picked VdM because he's doesn't trust Healy is beyond daft. There are myriad reasons for selecting a player.

• Advertisement

McFadden is clearly bigger and stronger than EOM. Schmidt may have anticipated Banahan starting at 13 and figured McFadden would do a better job there, it's a perfectly reasonable argument. I would not have picked McFadden if I were Schmidt, but that's why he's paid the big bucks.

Following that by saying he must have picked VdM because he's a better defender is beyond daft. There are myriad reasons for selecting a player.

I don't disagree with that at all. But that doesn't equate to Schmidt not trusting O'Malley's defence. Just that he thinks McF is the better option in this instance.

It was a bad comparison, but I was trying to make the point that just because O'Malley wasn't picked doesn't mean it was because Schmidt doesn't trust his defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Would I be right in saying the Clongowes guys are from Munster?

You'd get the odd one alright.

I'm pretty sure it was last season (but maybe season before) Clongowes had a brilliant 10 who is from Cork. Can't remember his name, but depending on where he went to College, he's probably back in Munster (UL or UCC) and knocking around the Munster sub-academy.

The amount of brilliant players you see at schools level who you never hear of again is pretty disappointing. But you usually remember lads like D'Arcy and Fitzgerald, who were the 2 best schools players I've ever seen.

Roscrea College compete in the Leinster Senior Cup though, and did quite well recently. They'd be mostly Munster lads as the school is based in Tipp. (Don't remember the reason why they're in the Leinster SC, but something to do with the school moving grounds from somewhere in Leinster or something iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

McFadden is clearly bigger and stronger than EOM. Schmidt may have anticipated Banahan starting at 13 and figured McFadden would do a better job there, it's a perfectly reasonable argument. I would not have picked McFadden if I were Schmidt, but that's why he's paid the big bucks. There has been one or two instances in recent games where EOM has been brushed off when trying to tackle.

Following that by saying he must have picked VdM because he's doesn't trust Healy is beyond daft. There are myriad reasons for selecting a player.

Franno made a point recently that he saw O'Driscoll and O'Malley standing together and they seemed pretty much the same size. He said he'd always thought of O'Malley as being small but that when he saw O'Malley in person he changed his mind as he is very muscular. He actually said he thought O'Malley had the perfect body shape for a centre as he's relatively short, stocky, and with a low centre of gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

[Jackass] wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it was last season (but maybe season before) Clongowes had a brilliant 10 who is from Cork. Can't remember his name, but depending on where he went to College, he's probably back in Munster (UL or UCC) and knocking around the Munster sub-academy.

The amount of brilliant players you see at schools level who you never hear of again is pretty disappointing. But you usually remember lads like D'Arcy and Fitzgerald, who were the 2 best schools players I've ever seen.

Roscrea College compete in the Leinster Senior Cup though, and did quite well recently. They'd be mostly Munster lads as the school is based in Tipp. (Don't remember the reason why they're in the Leinster SC, but something to do with the school moving grounds from somewhere in Leinster or something iirc).

I knew a few guys from Limerick who went to Clongowes. Can't remember all their names, but I think they were in the same year as Conor Gilsenan. They used to talk about him a bit...they were all big into their rugby too, but I don't think they were anywhere near as good as him. They would have been Junior Cup at that time and I remember checking the papers and I think only 1 of the 5 or 6 was on the team.

Obviously it's a high standard and everything but there can't be that many people from Limerick that go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

The Clongowes out-half you're talking about is David Quirke. Think he might be in the Leinster sub-academy but I'm not sure. He's not a great kicker but he'd make a decent centre.

Roscrea participate in the Leinster SC because their pitches are in Leinster I think. And a good few lads in the school would be from Leinster and Offaly as well. Last time I was there there was a lad from my Dad's village going there which is just over the border. They were always good for a fight anyway not like the pansies we played from Dublin. I remember I boxed a lad from Blackrock and he literally turned around to me and said,''Don't do that again like, roysh'', and I was just standing waiting for him to go laughing and he walked away. Didn't come near me for the rest of the match and in fairness I was a lot smaller than him. We lost that match 50 something nil, they were running them in from there 22. Quality in abundance.

• Advertisement

ambid wrote: »
    Franno made a point recently that he saw O'Driscoll and O'Malley standing together and they seemed pretty much the same size. He said he'd always thought of O'Malley as being small but that when he saw O'Malley in person he changed his mind as he is very muscular. He actually said he thought O'Malley had the perfect body shape for a centre as he's relatively short, stocky, and with a low centre of gravity.

As I said, if I were picking the team I'd have gone for EOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Why the hell has he benched the one of the best young props in NH rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    It's rotation. Van De Merwe started basically every European away game last season as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

dtpc191991 wrote: »

Because he won the Heinken Cup last year doing the same thing.

Not too worried about Healy not starting, he'll get half an hour and will start next weekend I would bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Quirke is in Leinster sub academy. Coughlan and Quirke turned down offers from Munster's full academy. Coughlan is a Leinsterman with family in Cork and Quirke is from Cork but studying in Dublin. Gilsenan, the best prospect, is from Mullingar and has no links to Munster.

I don't think it's his LO presence as Heaslip is of a similar standard. Your backrow always functions best with SOB at 6 and Jennings at 7.
    Heaslip is nowhere near McLaughlin as a jumper. There was a reason McLaughlin was used specifically to cover Gray against Glasgow. He is a very intelligent and athletic jumper. The back row selection is tactical and has worked time and time again at this stage so there is little reason to question it. We know Jennings is going to come in which will maximise his impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

EKClarke wrote: »
    I remember I boxed a lad from Blackrock and he literally turned around to me and said,''Don't do that again like, roysh'', and I was just standing waiting for him to go laughing and he walked away. Didn't come near me for the rest of the match and in fairness I was a lot smaller than him. We lost that match 50 something nil, they were running them in from there 22. Quality in abundance.

Oh my god, no way!! Wanna be mates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

GerM wrote: »
    Quirke is in Leinster sub academy. Coughlan and Quirke turned down offers from Munster's full academy. Coughlan is a Leinsterman with family in Cork and Quirke is from Cork but studying in Dublin. Gilsenan, the best prospect, is from Mullingar and has no links to Munster.

quirke, coughlan and gilsenan all play for ucd u20s. neither coughlan nor gilsenan have anything to do with munster. coughlan was offered a professional cricket contract and a leicester tigers academy contract supposedly but chose leinster.
    hes from raheny in north dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Malcolm O'Kelly on iTalkSport this morning on Setanta. Talking about life after rugby. Watch out for the replay if you can

• Advertisement

I just had a terrifying vision of Leinster being drawn away to Clermont in the semi final.

However, I'd love it for the weekend in CF alone, a pack of wild rabid dogs wouldn't keep me away from another trip to the Stade Marcel Michelin!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leinster A won 19-13 against llanelli in Wales today

I don't have a clue about scorers or who played well. That result leaves Leinster A 4 points ahead of Bedford in the pool with one game left for each team. Leinster A to play London Welsh and Bedford to play Llanelli.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I just had a terrifying vision of Leinster being drawn away to Clermont in the semi final.

However, I'd love it for the weekend in CF alone, a pack of wild rabid dogs wouldn't keep me away from another trip to the Stade Marcel Michelin!

It would be some game all right and would be our fourth in three seasons! Considering we've beaten them twice and came very very close in the other game it's them who would be the most worried.

If you ask me who ever gets out of this group will have done well. Ulster need Leicester to beat Clermont next week, not let Clermont get a bonus point today, and then will more than likely (I think Ulster will get 5 pts next week in Aironi and will beat Leicester in Ravenhll) have to lose by less than 5 in Clermont to go through (If teams finish level on points than competition points earned in head-to-head matches decides who goes through).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone know what Fitzpatrick was talking about earlier when he said Cian Healy has been a "naughty boy"? Or was he just talking nonesense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Leinster A won 19-13 against llanelli in Wales today

I don't have a clue about scorers or who played well. That result leaves Leinster A 4 points ahead of Bedford in the pool with one game left for each team. Leinster A to play London Welsh and Bedford to play Llanelli.

A big win, LLanelli one of the better teams in the competition. Another win would get us a home quarter final.

I hope if we make it to the knock-outs Joe will take the competition seriously and let the A team have maximum resources (i.e. anyone outside the senior team 23 - as apposed to outside of the senior 23 + 4/5 back-up waterboy players, such as Fionn Carr today in Bath).

Hope Berquist is back and fit for the knock-outs and slots in to A team (with Madigan remaining second choice in senior team).

I think it's a very worthwhile competition and would be a great achievement for the squad to win it.

[Quote=[Jackass]]I hope if we make it to the knock-outs Joe will take the competition seriously and let the A team have maximum resources (i.e. anyone outside the senior team 23 - as apposed to outside of the senior 23 + 4/5 back-up waterboy players, such as Fionn Carr today in Bath).[/Quote]
    Can't see that happening at all tbh, not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It is amazing to see the A team now adays pretty much awash with players you'd be happy to bolter the HEC squad. The depth is outstanding. Especially the backs.

Anyhow know how Baby Kearns managed at FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A big win, LLanelli one of the better teams in the competition. Another win would get us a home quarter final.

I hope if we make it to the knock-outs Joe will take the competition seriously and let the A team have maximum resources (i.e. anyone outside the senior team 23 - as apposed to outside of the senior 23 + 4/5 back-up waterboy players, such as Fionn Carr today in Bath).

Hope Berquist is back and fit for the knock-outs and slots in to A team (with Madigan remaining second choice in senior team).

I think it's a very worthwhile competition and would be a great achievement for the squad to win it.
    The competition this year is not going to be diluted by having a QF the same day as a league match while 15 players are held by Kidney so I imagine that there will be a serious approach taken to the knockout stages this year. I agree that a good performance in this competition is something to be happy about.

No match report on leinsterrugby.ie as of yet. Apparently a try from Auvva and four penalties from Reid.

Knockout dates below
    Quarter-Finals: Saturday, January 21
    Semi-Finals: Saturday, April 7
    Final: Saturday, April 28
    EDIT http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9069.php
    Ciarán Ruddock must have gotten injured if he was taken off so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

EKClarke wrote: »
    Roscrea participate in the Leinster SC because their pitches are in Leinster I think. And a good few lads in the school would be from Leinster and Offaly as well. Last time I was there there was a lad from my Dad's village going there which is just over the border. They were always good for a fight anyway not like the pansies we played from Dublin. I remember I boxed a lad from Blackrock and he literally turned around to me and said,''Don't do that again like, roysh'', and I was just standing waiting for him to go laughing and he walked away. Didn't come near me for the rest of the match and in fairness I was a lot smaller than him. We lost that match 50 something nil, they were running them in from there 22. Quality in abundance.

Yeah; it truly is the mark of a good school by how willing to fight guys their students are. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ticket sales have now topped 43k. Clermont drew just under 45k last season so needs another few tickets to be sold for it to tip the scales but people only deciding this week should see another 2-3k head along. The forecast, at the moment, is for dry weather too which should help.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1213/1224308998922.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement