Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Have to say I'm a big fan of my season ticket. I never miss a game because the smaller games are just as exciting for me as the bigger ones. Also its great to see players being seeded and their reaction to it.

Also, just turning up without worrying about buying a ticket is alone worth it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ah of course the season ticket is worth it! If not only for the first preference you get on tickets for Heineken Cup knock out games (including final iirc) and Play-off games, plus it includes all A games in Donnybrook if you fancy following the B&I cup, plus you don't have to worry about arranging tickets for any games, and can go on a wim.

I don't have a season ticket this season (poor student) but I used to make it to all the games, either as a great way to start a night out, something to do if you're not going out, and a nice way to have a relaxed Sunday!

Also, it's a big deal for helping Leinster, and compared to other teams, it's great value for money, plus you get to see the European Champions and some of the best players in the world.

You'll be telling your kids about how you used to see Brian O'Driscoll every weekend. ;)

+1 to this, wouldn't give up the ticket, but they have to find a difficult balance between looking after season tickets holders and bringing in new fans with cheap offers and deals. Some of the offers can erode the value of the tickets and there are pretty much no home games it's hard to get a ticket for anymore. Tickets for Munster at home in RDS or clermont in heineken knockouts at RDS were tough enough except for STHs and friends but I'd say that was the last tough ones. ( and best athmosphere too)

Otherwise access to away tickets like Cardiff and Bath at the weekend is the real benefit, but even then they are usually ok to come by in the end.

Was Dom Ryan in the HEC squad? I mean prior to injury?

And if so.. are they any chances of game time in the HEC this year? I was looking forward to see him play some senior teams as I think he was great at times last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »

And if so.. are they any chances of game time in the HEC this year? I was looking forward to see him play some senior teams as I think he was great at times last year.
    Yeah he is in the squad, if Leinster win the next two matches I would expect to see Joe throw in a young player or two at home to Montpellier to experience HEC rugby. Maybe him or Ruddock and one or two others in other positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Don't think we'll see much of Ryan this year, Joe seems to be backing Kev in a big way this season and Ruddock has done well in his opportunities. It's a shame because the guy is seriously good. Hopefully in the Six Nations window he'll get some game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

tolosenc wrote: »
    When we played the Ospreys at home during the 6N last year, that was awful and made me question why I had a ST. I felt obliged to go to each game, but I was soaked to the skin watching an A game.

Biggar's miss made up for it though.

Which one? Think he hit both uprights and the bar that night, not to mention the ones that went wide...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Dom Ryan picked up an injury and isn't back playing yet afaik. He hasn't been in the last few A games anyway, so I presume he's not fit yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't think we'll see much of Ryan this year, Joe seems to be backing Kev in a big way this season and Ruddock has done well in his opportunities. It's a shame because the guy is seriously good. Hopefully in the Six Nations window he'll get some game time.

It's hard to know really. It seems Ruddock at least is ahead of him but he got injured at a very inopportune time. Think he'll be out for another month at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Which one? Think he hit both uprights and the bar that night, not to mention the ones that went wide...

I'd imagine it was the one from right in front of the posts that he's talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Where he hit the underside of the bar. Didn't see the video until a couple of days later and was convinced that it was a nonchalant chip gone horribly/hilariously wrong. It's still hilarious.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see a Ryan tried in a set up with Locky in the second row.

04. Locky
    05. Cullen
    06. SOB
    07. Ryan
    08. Heaslip

would be a seriously mobile and powerful pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I'd love to see a Ryan tried in a set up with Locky in the second row.

04. Locky
    05. Cullen
    06. SOB
    07. Ryan
    08. Heaslip

would be a seriously mobile and powerful pack.

Interestngly SOB move to 7 has been a disaster for Ryan.

Last year I thought Leinsters back row by this season would be SoB nailed on 6, Healsip nailed on at 8 with Ryan and Jennings competing for 7 jersey (maybe even something like redden / boss etc) and ruddock / Locky competing for the bench slot.

However SoB moving to 7, and Locky seemingly nailing down the 6 shirt it looks like Ruddock, Ryan and Jennings competing for the bench - and Ryan (albeit he has had some injury issues) seems to be quite def number 3 of for it.

Still, I guess Leinster could have worse problems..........

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Just thinking about it, and I think Locky will start on Sat, and if he does, there can be no qualms really.
    He's been great in the lineout and otherwise in the past two HEC games, and obviously Joe and Gibbes like him. Jennings hasn't started a HEC game in ages (Metro last year?), so it's weird that us fans still think he's number 1.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Ruddock get the bench spot or be rewarded either. It's games like this he needs to be playing in so he gets enough reason to stay at the end of the season.

wixfjord wrote: »
    Just thinking about it, and I think Locky will start on Sat, and if he does, there can be no qualms really.
    He's been great in the lineout and otherwise in the past two HEC games, and obviously Joe and Gibbes like him. Jennings hasn't started a HEC game in ages (Metro last year?), so it's weird that us fans still think he's number 1.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Ruddock get the bench spot or be rewarded either. It's games like this he needs to be playing in so he gets enough reason to stay at the end of the season.

Yeah, you can't fault Kev's performances so far, I suppose the question is whether we're getting the best out of O'Brien by playing him at 7, which is essentially to accommodate Kev.

In relation to Ruddock, I don't see him moving on from Leinster, he only turned 21 last month so a lot of guys his age (including Rhys' older brother) are still in the Academy. Would he better served by moving on at this stage? I think he still has a lot of developing to do, and Leinster is probably the best place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Yeah, you can't fault Kev's performances so far, I suppose the question is whether we're getting the best out of O'Brien by playing him at 7, which is essentially to accommodate Kev.

In relation to Ruddock, I don't see him moving on from Leinster, he only turned 21 last month so a lot of guys his age (including Rhys' older brother) are still in the Academy. Would he better served by moving on at this stage? I think he still has a lot of developing to do, and Leinster is probably the best place for him.

Realistically (and this is no disrespect to Locky) but if Ruddock can't force his way past him into the team then I can't see him starting at the moment for a top European side - Locky wouldn't exactly be in the first 8 or 10 names on the Leinster teamsheet.

It would be different if two of the best players in the world (SoB at 6 and Heaslip at 8) were blocking Ruddock. Then you could see a strong argument for Ruddock needing to move on because he could potentially be almost world class and not first choice.

I think the decision by Ruddock to only sign a one year deal lady yr was motivated a lot by the fact that when he returned from playing with the Irish squad he was late to join pre season (player mgt) and Dom Ryan overtook him in the pecking order.

Jamie Heaslip is 28 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jamie Heaslip is 28 today.

Another year or two and he'll be old enough to play for munster. ;)

Looking ahead, if we can get a BP win this week and Montpellier beat Glasgow (fairly likely in MP), then we could have an 8 point lead going into the last 2 games, effectively winning the group.

Particularly, as now appears likely, MP wont give a tiny rat's ass about the HEC by the time round 6 comes.

I look forward to calculations and permutations time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

durkadurka wrote: »
    Looking ahead, if we can get a BP win this week and Montpellier beat Glasgow (fairly likely in MP), then we could have an 8 point lead going into the last 2 games, effectively winning the group.

Particularly, as now appears likely, MP wont give a tiny rat's ass about the HEC by the time round 6 comes.

I look forward to calculations and permutations time.....

I think it is fairly certain we will win the group. It is more about getting a home QF

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I think it is fairly certain we will win the group. It is more about getting a home QF

While the trend on boards.ie seems to be all about talking down your team's chances, Leinster should have no trouble closing out this group.

Three wins from three and maybe one bonus point would leave us on 24 points, in most years that would be enough for a home QF and probably one of the top two spots... So it's very do-able, we should win both home games and a full-strength Leinster side should be going to Glasgow with high hopes.

• Advertisement

While the trend on boards.ie seems to be all about talking down your team's chances, Leinster should have no trouble closing out this group.

Three wins from three and maybe one bonus point would leave us on 24 points, in most years that would be enough for a home QF and probably one of the top two spots... So it's very do-able, we should win both home games and a full-strength Leinster side should be going to Glasgow with high hopes.

Agreed, we should be looking at at least 24/5 points imo, and a first or second place seeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bit of confidence never hurt anyone. The usual stuff from Irish teams about wanting to be the underdog or the plucky underdog should be over now.

Leinster should close out group and look towards a home QF. They are one of the top 2 clubs in the HC this year and that should be the smallest aim

The larger one is to win the thing again. And I already have the tickets for final so they better be there:D

Bought tickets last year for final in December and had confidence they would be in Cardiff and they where!!!!

Bought tickets last year for final in December and had confidence they would be in Cardiff and they where!!!!

+1

Tempted on buying tickets for twickers now because last year even with my season ticket I only got to buy two tickets, and I'd probably be traveling with a group...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bit of confidence never hurt anyone. The usual stuff from Irish teams about wanting to be the underdog or the plucky underdog should be over now.

Especially given how well Munster and Leinster have been doing. Particularly Leinster this year. You can't be the reigning champions and underdogs at the same time. We need to be able to back ourselves to go and do the job. There's a difference between healthy confidence in your ability and arrogance. And I think at this stage Leinster have turned that corner for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Well lads could anyone tell what's the oldest age for a child's ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

padser wrote: »
    Realistically (and this is no disrespect to Locky) but if Ruddock can't force his way past him into the team then I can't see him starting at the moment for a top European side - Locky wouldn't exactly be in the first 8 or 10 names on the Leinster teamsheet.

It would be different if two of the best players in the world (SoB at 6 and Heaslip at 8) were blocking Ruddock. Then you could see a strong argument for Ruddock needing to move on because he could potentially be almost world class and not first choice.

I think the decision by Ruddock to only sign a one year deal lady yr was motivated a lot by the fact that when he returned from playing with the Irish squad he was late to join pre season (player mgt) and Dom Ryan overtook him in the pecking order.

locky is great in the lineout and balances out the fact that sean o brien never jumps at all and heaslip isnt really in the parisse,harinordoquay or kieran read class as a lineout jumper. he balances out the team rather than being a better player imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Same could be said of Jennings really. It's a tough call for Schmidt.

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Well lads could anyone tell what's the oldest age for a child's ticket?

It's meant to be 16. However, I did use a child's season ticket until the age of 21 (often turning up in a work suit!) as my Dad bought a family season ticket and I was the youngest non 16 year old. Was never called up on it. Dunno what they're like now though, been a couple of years since I used a child ticket.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    It's meant to be 16. However, I did use a child's season ticket until the age of 21 (often turning up in a work suit!) as my Dad bought a family season ticket and I was the youngest non 16 year old. Was never called up on it. Dunno what they're like now though, been a couple of years since I used a child ticket.

If its AVIVA I'd say you're grand because your ticket is scanned by a machine and not by a person.

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    If its AVIVA I'd say you're grand because your ticket is scanned by a machine and not by a person.

True, didn't think of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement