Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

wixfjord wrote: »
    Brendan Fanning on Today FM earlier on talking about O Malley and McFadden seemed to get the two of them mixed up completely, or else was talking out of his arse.
    Another of our esteemed media without a clue about our players.

Basically said that McFadden was better at 13, had quick feet, not a big man.
    Said that O Malley was a chunkier individual and a bit stronger.

Not a clue.

Listen here: http://media.todayfm.com/podcasts/popup

Couldn't agree more, the standard of coverage would sometimes baffle you. Sometimes its as if the feel they have to come to a conclusive opinion on a player even when haven't a breeze what they're talking about....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

All these guys have to do is watch rugby and write about it. The rest of us have to manage demanding jobs/ college/ whatever.

Hugh farrelly wrote an unmerciful pile of garbage in the indo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

durkadurka wrote: »
    All these guys have to do is watch rugby and write about it. The rest of us have to manage demanding jobs/ college/ whatever.

Hugh farrelly wrote an unmerciful pile of garbage in the indo today.

This? What a joke of a rant against baths facilities. idiot, why only briefly mention rugby when you can sh!te on....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

crisco10 wrote: »
    This? What a joke of a rant against baths facilities. idiot, why only briefly mention rugby when you can sh!te on....

He wrote similar manure about the Thomond Park experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He wrote similar manure about the Thomond Park experience.

You say wrote manure.

I say he just shat all over the page, scanned it and called it journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

wixfjord wrote: »
    Brendan Fanning on Today FM earlier on talking about O Malley and McFadden seemed to get the two of them mixed up completely, or else was talking out of his arse.
    Another of our esteemed media without a clue about our players.

Basically said that McFadden was better at 13, had quick feet, not a big man.
    Said that O Malley was a chunkier individual and a bit stronger.

Not a clue.

Listen here: http://media.todayfm.com/podcasts/popup

Meh, they both play in blue and sometimes change numbers, give the guy a break, its not like he's a real journalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

A number of contriubtors to rugby forums are far more enjoyable, insightful and interesting to read. Look at the match threads ffs. (looking at you Thomond).

Also, you may not think it, cause it's in the meedja, but as someone who's posted here a long time and have seen it numerous times first hand, those lads write about, and rip off threads from boards.ie rugby forum, amongst others, and some glaring examples have appeared in the past where completely random, non current affair threads appear on here and are printed in the newspaper that weekend.

They basically make a living doing what other people do on their lunch break.

Only time I ever read the sports section any more is if it's laying around in the parents house and I need to dump and have already read all the labels on the cleaning products in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone else a little worried about our defensive efforts? I know how much Hines and BOD contributed to our defensive system, but was there a touch of a Super Rugby attitude yesterday? Run in a load of tries and then forget about the defences?

It's a bit of an unreal situation though when you're 45-6 up after 60 mins. I haven't seen us let ourselves down when it really counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone else a little worried about our defensive efforts? I know how much Hines and BOD contributed to our defensive system, but was there a touch of a Super Rugby attitude yesterday? Run in a load of tries and then forget about the defences?

Seems like a bit of a short term memory considering how well we defended in Bath!

Leinster's defense is still one of the best in Europe, even without BOD.

On another note, I really hope Munster go ahead and secure a home QF, considering we will as well. It'll be nice to avoid them until the SF at least, just for the sake of the occasion.

If they win out their games Munster and Leinster should well be #1 and #2 seeds. I think as number one seeds we'll end up with the second place team from Ulster/Leicester/Clermont (Really could be Ulster if they beat Leicester in Ravenhill, which is certainly possible) and as number 2 seeds we'll end up with Harlequins. So I really think we'll end up seeing Leinster-Ulster and Munster-Harlequins as quarter-finals, however that's a very early and (given the nature of the H Cup) likely totally inaccurate prediction. I think the other teams we'll see in the quarters will be Saracens, Clermont, Toulouse and Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hmm.. Well, the Bath try at the Rec last week was poor defensive effort from our backline imo, and it mattered because it put them ahead with not much time left on the clock.

I don't think we're near as bad obviously... but I wonder will it be a talking point when the team review the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

.ak wrote: »
    Hmm.. Well, the Bath try at the Rec last week was poor defensive effort from our backline imo, and it mattered because it put them ahead with not much time left on the clock.

I don't think we're near as bad obviously... but I wonder will it be a talking point when the team review the game?

Good point about defence. I assume O'Driscoll on Sky is the best insight we have into the attitude of the camp and immediately after the match, when asked about how strong Leinster are, the very first words from O'Driscoll were:

"I suppose it was nice that they kicked on from the half time score, and knowing Joe those 27 points will hurt a little bit so it was a little bit of a mixed bag in the second half..."

When he said "and knowing Joe...", he smiled/ smirked in such a way to indicate that Schmidt is likely to be extremely pissed off. He focused on the problems in defence and only after that did he talk about what they did well. I imagine that attitude will be replicated in the coaches and players and there is going to be a massive focus on defence in the coming weeks. I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It's a bit of an unreal situation though when you're 45-6 up after 60 mins. I haven't seen us let ourselves down when it really counts.

I used the analogy yesterday of a soccer team being 6-0 up with 25 minutes to go, then letting in a couple of soft goals right at the end. Understandable, but not acceptable if we want to assert our position as the best team in Europe. I trust that Schmidt won't let that go unmentioned.

A slight worry is that our group is handy enough and we won't really be tested . Sure Glasgow will be feisty away but we really should win easy and montpellier will roll over with their b team.

We could get someone nasty like Leicester in the quarters without having been really tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

A slight worry is that our group is handy enough and we won't really be tested . Sure Glasgow will be feisty away but we really should win easy and montpellier will roll over with their b team.

We could get someone nasty like Leicester in the quarters without having been really tested.

I wouldn't be worried about meeting Leicester or anyone else if we get a home draw. I actually don't think Leicester will qualify anyway, it looks like they'll have to win in Ravenhill to do so.

If Leinster can nab one of the top two QF spots and get a home draw against the best runners up, which I reckon will be Ulster and Quins, then we have nothing to fear.

The league game in Thomond will come the week before the HC QF too, that should provide a stern test and get us back up to a decent level of intensity...

Would you not be apprehensive of quins?

Hold on, we should defo be afraid of Quins. Sure we're probably better then them, but this is the same team that have beaten both Toulose and Munster away in the last 12 months. We have lost to Munster away twice in 12 months. They're a good side, with a good coach, who knows our set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hold on, we should defo be afraid of Quins. Sure we're probably better then them, but this is the same team that have beaten both Toulose and Munster away in the last 12 months. We have lost to Munster away twice in 12 months. They're a good side, with a good coach, who knows our set up.

How would he know more than any other coach?

I wouldn't like to get Quins, but I think we'd beat them at home (which is where we'll play them). Munster lost plenty of games in Europe last year and they were gifted the winning try by Rolland today.

Hopefully the English media hype them up to unheard of levels (Rugby Club will hopefully appoint O'Shea King of England and call them "definitely the best European team of all time".) and they will come to the Aviva and get slapped back down to earth, in classic English big game style! :pac:

danthefan wrote: »
    How would he know more than any other coach?

Ah like its Conor O Shea. He takes a particular interest in Irish players and the Irish set up. He was part of it for a long time. Same way I will always feel Joe has something over Claremont.

I just think he has casually put a lot of analysis into our players. Not saying the guy never watches the tapes of Toulose playing or whatever. I'd just have more respect for COS then any other English club managers.

• Advertisement

Would you not be apprehensive of quins?

Quins are a really good side and I wouldn't be at all complacent about it, but Leinster should be confident enough taking on pretty much anyone on the Aviva. Quins showed today that they're an excellent side, Ulster too, but Leinster shouldn't be afraid of anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ah like its Conor O Shea. He takes a particular interest in Irish players and the Irish set up. He was part of it for a long time. Same way I will always feel Joe has something over Claremont.

I just think he has casually put a lot of analysis into our players. Not saying the guy never watches the tapes of Toulose playing or whatever. I'd just have more respect for COS then any other English club managers.

Well, it's clearly nothing like Joe and Clermont. In professional rugby everything is analysed to death, I can't see him having many insights any other coach wouldn't be able to garner tbh.

danthefan wrote: »
    Well, it's clearly nothing like Joe and Clermont. In professional rugby everything is analysed to death, I can't see him having many insights any other coach wouldn't be able to garner tbh.

I dunno, I guess you could be correct. Maybe I feel they'd have a psychological edge because analysis of an Irish team coming from an Irish guy means something. It does to me...
    Quins are a really good side and I wouldn't be at all complacent about it, but Leinster should be confident enough taking on pretty much anyone on the Aviva. Quins showed today that they're an excellent side, Ulster too, but Leinster shouldn't be afraid of anyone.

Grand, we just have a different definition of the word fear. To me it means respect, to you it possibly means fear to the point where you lose confidence.

If O'Shea has insight into anyone it's London Irish. He has never been involved with an Irish team at all in the professional era. Whereas Joe Schmidt was effectively head coach of Clermont when they won the Bouc de Brennus because Cotter was out of action.

Grand, we just have a different definition of the word fear. To me it means respect, to you it possibly means fear to the point where you lose confidence.

I think when you get to the quarter finals of the HC, you have to respect any team who can make it that far, particularly if it ends up being a team who managed to win in Toulouse. I just think we've had enough success in the last few years that we should legitimately expect to win every time we take the field, particularly at home.

Serious counting of chickens going on here of course, we haven't even qualified for the QFs yet, let alone got a home draw. I'd be shocked if we didn't do both though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I think when you get to the quarter finals of the HC, you have to respect any team who can make it that far, particularly if it ends up being a team who managed to win in Toulouse. I just think we've had enough success in the last few years that we should legitimately expect to win every time we take the field, particularly at home.

Serious counting of chickens going on here of course, we haven't even qualified for the QFs yet, let alone got a home draw. I'd be shocked if we didn't do both though.

I would respect teams like Edinburgh, Cardiff, Ulster. Teams that have done well, have shown strong pedigree at home but teams I don't really think we'd lose to at home.

I fear we would lose to Claremont, Toulose, Quins at home. The fear is personal its because in my mind I rate our chances of losing as fairly high, and I fear how **** I am going to feel when we lose. To me the difference between fear and respect is whether or not I think there is a significant chance we will lose even if we play well.

The difference between respect and disrespect is whether I think we should walk over them even if we're ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its too early to be worrying over the QF teams and form.

Who knows how the form of players (from all countries) after the Six Nations is and what injuries may happen.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ongarite wrote: »
    Its too early to be worrying over the QF teams and form.

Who knows how the form of players (from all countries) after the Six Nations is and what injuries may happen.

Agreed, lose to Glasgow away and we could go out. It's not like we haven't had results like that before.

I hate this thinking so far ahead crap, people on other threads talking about where they would play the semi final ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I fear we would lose to Claremont, Toulose, Quins at home. The fear is personal its because in my mind I rate our chances of losing as fairly high, and I fear how **** I am going to feel when we lose. To me the difference between fear and respect is whether or not I think there is a significant chance we will lose even if we play well.

If Leinster play "well", i.e. to close to their best, then they wouldn't lose to anyone in Europe at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement