Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

By my reckoning its Leinster A at home to Pontypridd in the QF of the B&I cup

Ponty have been beaten by Nottingham and Ulster in the competition already and only collected 11 points from the group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

copacetic wrote: »
    Agreed, lose to Glasgow away and we could go out. It's not like we haven't had results like that before.

Only if we then went on to lose at home to Montpellier. A loss in Glasgow would be disappointing, two defeats from two would be a freak of nature.

I don't want to get over-confident either, but this business of constantly talking down the chances of Munster and Leinster is going too far.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Only if we then went on to lose at home to Montpellier. A loss in Glasgow would be disappointing, two defeats from two would be a freak of nature.

I don't want to get over-confident either, but this business of constantly talking down the chances of Munster and Leinster is going too far.

We wouldn't necessarily have to lose twice, although it is likely. The point is we could go in to the last game needing a result to get through, having blown a chance of a home semi.

It's not about talking down our chances at all, it's about not planning miles ahead and including wins at venues that we have always struggled at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Agree, there is confidence and then over confidence. I go with my confident point of view. The team is playing great, there is a great squad and I think we all know Joe will not allow the team itself to start talking about winning or semi-finals before the next game.

I posted before about this atitude in Ireland about always been the plucky underdog. Has to stop now. Pity the Ireland team didn't always see themselves as the plucky underdog. Keith Wood went nuts about it before and we should now!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

copacetic wrote: »
    We wouldn't necessarily have to lose twice, although it is likely. The point is we could go in to the last game needing a result to get through, having blown a chance of a home semi.

It's not about talking down our chances at all, it's about not planning miles ahead and including wins at venues that we have always struggled at.

If we lost to Glasgow with them getting a bonus point, then they'd still have to beat Bath away with a bonus point if we beat Montpellier at home. They'd also have to score 9 more tries then us over those two games. Essentially, it's so remote as to be pointless thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If we lost to Glasgow with them getting a bonus point, then they'd still have to beat Bath away with a bonus point if we beat Montpellier at home. They'd also have to score 9 more tries then us over those two games. Essentially, it's so remote as to be pointless thinking about it.

Glasgow are a poor team. Score 2-3 tries for rest of tournament would be great for them.

Montpellier will probably give up at this stage and concentrate on French league. Anyway seen many a better French team come to RDS and fail. With confidence in squad can't see this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Leinster Development side to play Ireland under-20s.
    Some familiar names and not so familiar names. Should be interesting to follow some these lads progression in coming years.

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT:

15: Darren Hudson (St. Mary’s College)
    14: Mark Corballis (Old Belvedere)
    13: Alex Kelly (UCD)
    12: Collie O’Shea (Clontarf)
    11: Andrew Boyle (UCD)
    10: Noel Reid (Clontarf)
    9: Patrick O’Driscoll (Lansdowne)

1: Jack O’Connell (Lansdowne)
    2: Tom Sexton (Lansdowne)
    3: Martin Moore (Lansdowne)
    4: Neilus Keogh (Lansdowne)
    5: Jerry Sexton (St. Mary’s College)
    6: Ciaran Ruddock (St. Mary’s College) CAPTAIN
    7: Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne)
    8: Eoghan Masterson (Clontarf)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: David Doyle (UCD)
    17: Adam Clarkin (UCD)
    18: James Tracy (UCD)
    19: Conor Owende (Old Belvedere)
    20: Michael Oyuga (Old Belvedere)
    21: Brian du Toit (Dublin University)
    22: Aaron Sheehan (Old Belvedere)
    23: Craig Ronaldson (Lansdowne)
    24: Stephen Murphy (UCD)
    25: Daniel Ruddock (Seapoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

No Blackrock College? I know Jordi is ex-'Rock but wonder what's going on that they are so badly represented? Good to Sexton minor on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

chancer12 wrote: »
    No Blackrock College? I know Jordi is ex-'Rock but wonder what's going on that they are so badly represented? Good to Sexton minor on the list

Is jerry related to johnny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

durkadurka wrote: »
    Is jerry related to johnny?
    brothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

is Daniel Ruddock a brother to Rhys and Ciaran?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Fair showing from Lansdowne!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Who was the fella that played out half for St Michaels a year or two ago, looked a very good prospect at the time. Anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

bamboozle wrote: »
    is Daniel Ruddock a brother to Rhys and Ciaran?

No, I don't think so.

Who was the fella that played out half for St Michaels a year or two ago, looked a very good prospect at the time. Anyone any ideas?

Noel Reid?

Or possibly, Andrew Cummiskey a few years further back?

Noel Reid?

I'm not sure, if I had to guess it would be Andrew Cummiskey. He was a big strong fella, backed himself to run the ball and beat a lot of tackles, decent kicker, but his running game was what caught my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Noel Reid?

Cathal Marsh

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

If you're going back 2 - 3 yrs it was Noel Reid. Had a bad accident 'tho before 6th year, came back to play in schools cup but not sure if he has continued with rugby

If you're going back 2 - 3 yrs it was Noel Reid. Had a bad accident 'tho before 6th year, came back to play in schools cup but not sure if he has continued with rugby

Eh, he's benched for the Leinster senior side this season (edit-started v Aironi), and is playing out half for the A side for most of the season; including this past weekend against London Welsh at Donnybrook.

I'm not sure, if I had to guess it would be Andrew Cummiskey. He was a big strong fella, backed himself to run the ball and beat a lot of tackles, decent kicker, but his running game was what caught my eye.

Cummiskey played Leinster Schools I think, but I don't know if he played any higher than that.

He's been playing for UCD RFC for the last few seasons, captained them a season or two ago actually, and is playing more of his rugby in the centre these days.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, will keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Has to be Cathal Marsh, havent seen him play myself but he had lots of plaudits when in school 2 years ago, Tony Ward called him the most skillful rugby player in Ireland or something to that effect. Although he did say much the same about Dave Moore after seeing him play for Blackrock in the AIL. Think Marsh is still u-20 this season. He's benching for Leinster A of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I've seen Marsh a few times. He is a creative sort of player who suits a running game. He is excellet at putting players into space. I'm not sure what his kicking is like and not sure how big he is etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Conway and Macken were Murphy's year, but are kind of above this kind of match I suppose. The last two teams obviously haven't been up to a whole lot in terms of cup success or indeed progression to the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think Marsh will play pro rugby, but he is great to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 willie.c

Anyone know what this new IRFU ruling for overseas players is all about. Sounds a bit ropey for players that have key roles in teams at the moment to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

THE NUMBER OF foreign rugby players lining out for Irish provinces will be further restricted under a new strategy to aid the development of top domestic talent.

The IRFU announced this afternoon that the number of non-Irish eligible (NIE) players at Leinster, Munster and Ulster will be capped at 15 — one player per position across all three teams — once the new rules come into force in 2013/2014.

To ensure that the limits are applied correctly, all contracts offered to NIE players from 2013 onwards will be position specific.

Once that contract has expired, the province will not be allowed to resign the player or to bring in a new NIE player in the same position. However, players affected by the new restrictions will be able to move between provinces if they wish to remain playing in Ireland.

The changes will not apply to Connacht who recently agreed a separate programme of structural and performance development with the IRFU.

So Isa gets 2013-14 as a designated FB and then shipped to Munster ? Unless they offer him a 2-3 year contract ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

willie.c wrote: »
    Anyone know what this new IRFU ruling for overseas players is all about. Sounds a bit ropey for players that have key roles in teams at the moment to me.
    We have a season and a half before it comes into force. Time enough to get McGrath and Hagan ready to force out VDM and White.

Existing contracts will be honored, Nacewa is contracted till May 2014 and then will have leave. Isa will be 32 then which is probably going to be the right time for Leinster to let him go anyway. At any rate there is a que of back three players that will want to get his shirt.

Sykes is contracted till 2014 also which is when he becomes IQ, Strauss will be IQ this november.

I doubt anyone considers Berquist to have a key role.

White - temp job to cover Hagan getting to fitness
    Nacewa - irreplaceable, but contract takes him up to 2014
    Sykes - "Project Player"
    Berquist - temp job to cover Sexton at WC (Madigan surely ahead of him regardless of fitness at this stage)
    Strauss - Irish Qualified in November
    Van de Merve - Essential player, but there's options behind him that will benefit from exposure. We'd be arsed if he wasn't there at the moment with Healy not at full fitness. (pun intended)

2 worries for Leinster are that Cullen's running out of juice and we've no natural successor arriving (Toner & Sykes/Browne next season) seems like an odd pair and that Hagan won't be fully ready come September, and even if he does, will McGrath be ready in 2/3 seasons when Ross is coming to an end of his tenure?

Not too much to worry about to be honest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

White - temp job to cover Hagan getting to fitness
    Nacewa - irreplaceable, but contract takes him up to 2014
    Sykes - "Project Player"
    Berquist - temp job to cover Sexton at WC (Madigan surely ahead of him regardless of fitness at this stage)
    Strauss - Irish Qualified in November
    Van de Merve - Essential player, but there's options behind him that will benefit from exposure. We'd be arsed if he wasn't there at the moment with Healy not at full fitness. (pun intended)

2 worries for Leinster are that Cullen's running out of juice and we've no natural successor arriving (Toner & Sykes/Browne next season) seems like an odd pair and that Hagan won't be fully ready come September, and even if he does, will McGrath be ready in 2/3 seasons when Ross is coming to an end of his tenure?

Not too much to worry about to be honest though.

Sykes is leaving in the next 6 months so thats one down anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement