Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm looking at Leinster v Montpellier. Which according to ticketmaster are on sale....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm looking at Leinster v Montpellier. Which according to ticketmaster are on sale....
    Are you sure you font need a code to purchase them?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Anyone watch Blues Talk TV lads?
    Great weekly podcast show:
    http://bluestalktv.wordpress.com/

Anyway, one of the guys says at the end that he has heard from Luke Fitz that Shaggy has got good news on the injury front and will be back before end of season. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

accensi0n wrote: »
    I'm looking to get 3 north stand tickets for the Ulster match. Reckon there'll be any available on the day? Send me a PM if you have any to pass on if you can't make it. Cheers. :)

Now that the Ulster team has been announced there should be plenty available. I would imagine a lot of them will end up being auctioned off on gay S&M sites. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

wixfjord wrote: »
    Anyone watch Blues Talk TV lads?
    Great weekly podcast show:
    http://bluestalktv.wordpress.com/

Anyway, one of the guys says at the end that he has heard from Luke Fitz that Shaggy has got good news on the injury front and will be back before end of season. Great news.

Horgan was on Off The Ball a little while back, said he's now on the road to recovery, definitely sounded positive.

Was saying though that he hasn't done any running at all for about 8 months, so I'd imagine getting to match fitness will take a while too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Treated myself to the Toulouse semi final. Pure rugby. Two top sides flinging the ball when it's on, hammering into each other when it's not and no holds barred. Probably the best game I've been at in the last couple of years alongside the France game in 2009. What stood out was BOD. He didn't have an amazing game but 80% of the time when he gets involved he makes something. The guy is such a big game player.

It's upsetting how good Poitrenaud is on the ball and how powerful Picamoles is. If there's justice in the tournament (and I REALLY don't want there to be) Leinster and Toulouse will have to have another showdown this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Be good lads and knock them out for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

They don't play in the Amlin....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9190.php

The medical team reported few injuries in the aftermath of the 42-13 St. Stephen’s Day victory over Ulster with Fionn Carr – a try-scorer before limping off in the second half with an ankle injury – a cause for concern.

His availability will be further monitored this week as will that of second row Steven Sykes who sustained a knock to the knee in the victory. :rolleyes:

There was better news for Andrew Conway who completed his successful return to senior action after a run of frustrating injuries. Balbriggan’s Jamie Hagan also had cause for celebration after scoring his first try in Leinster colours since his return last summer.

Out-half Ian Madigan brought his season try tally to an impressive 6 tries in 12 games in all competitions thus far.

Meanwhile, Mat Berquist (knee) and Dominic Ryan (ankle) are both still on course for January returns as they stepped up their respective rehabilitations in recent weeks.

Is it expected that there will be further changes to the panel for Sunday’s game with the team set to be announced on Friday lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

lologram wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9190.php

The medical team reported few injuries in the aftermath of the 42-13 St. Stephen’s Day victory over Ulster with Fionn Carr – a try-scorer before limping off in the second half with an ankle injury – a cause for concern.

His availability will be further monitored this week as will that of second row Steven Sykes who sustained a knock to the knee in the victory. :rolleyes:

There was better news for Andrew Conway who completed his successful return to senior action after a run of frustrating injuries. Balbriggan’s Jamie Hagan also had cause for celebration after scoring his first try in Leinster colours since his return last summer.

Out-half Ian Madigan brought his season try tally to an impressive 6 tries in 12 games in all competitions thus far.

Meanwhile, Mat Berquist (knee) and Dominic Ryan (ankle) are both still on course for January returns as they stepped up their respective rehabilitations in recent weeks.

Is it expected that there will be further changes to the panel for Sunday’s game with the team set to be announced on Friday lunchtime.

Yeah, either the guy is made of glass or there's an issue there somewhere. It's getting ridiculous at this stage. Bring back CJ and his toe!

• Advertisement

I didn't even realise he was on the pitch tbh! Who did he come on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

wixfjord wrote: »
    I didn't even realise he was on the pitch tbh! Who did he come on for?
    Toner for 8 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Rumour has it Sykes is being released from his contract. Could be a 2+2 = 5 situation on the part of my source, but at the same time he doesn't seem to be settling..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

crisco10 wrote: »
    Rumour has it Sykes is being released from his contract. Could be a 2+2 = 5 situation on the part of my source, but at the same time he doesn't seem to be settling..

Mutual consent I'd say. He would be back in SA in time for the start of Super Rugby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well I wish the guy the best if he stays or goes I've always found it hard to like him after he said:

“For me I believe it is a good career and personal move – I want to play international rugby and it would be a fantastic honour to play for Ireland as well if it came about. Before any of that though I am really excited to play for Leinster. I really do believe it is the right move for me.”

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7829.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That would also suggest to me that Schmidt has been impressed with other combinations such as McLoughlin in the second row, and the rate of improvement in Toner and the good displays Browne has put in, together with always reliable Cullen, we've got solid options and no point having an over paid, under performing, sick note, NIQ spot taken up.

I would really hope we can get a long term, big name signing in the second row by the start of next season at the latest. A good 3 / 4 years out of an international lock to replace Cullen.

Bakkies Botha would be perfect! (if only!)

I don't think we ever sign super star names, usually they become a superstar at Leinster, or just after leavind Leinster. Rocky was probably the biggest name we ever signed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Disappointed if true. I would have liked to have seen him get 3 or 4 starts in a row to show what he can do. The bloke simply hasn't fitted in well and hasn't looked happy from day one. He's a talented player and, if he played near his potential, would be a great player for us. I can only hope it's just a rumour and he delivers yet.

Spotted this in The Journal's wrap up of the year.
    The liveblog of the HEC final.

Incredible to read through it, and comments are hilarious too!

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/live-leinster-vs-northampton-141189-May2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

What is the official Leinster line on McLaughlin in second row. Is he just too short? Apparently very good in the line-out so does that negate a lack of height? Makes sense with Second Row a weakness and back row an embarrassment of riches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Tox56 wrote: »
    What is the official Leinster line on McLaughlin in second row. Is he just too short? Apparently very good in the line-out so does that negate a lack of height? Makes sense with Second Row a weakness and back row an embarrassment of riches.

He's not too short. Looking at a program I have here from last season (maybe the one before, the cover is missing!), he's 1.95m. Cullen is 1.98m, and Hines was 2m. He's easily more athletic than Cullen, so could probably negate that disadvantage. But then there's Toner who just has to stand there and no one will out reach him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

tolosenc wrote: »
    He's not too short. Looking at a program I have here from last season (maybe the one before, the cover is missing!), he's 1.95m. Cullen is 1.98m, and Hines was 2m. He's easily more athletic than Cullen, so could probably negate that disadvantage. But then there's Toner who just has to stand there and no one will out reach him.

When you put it like that the difference seems negligible, but in feet and inches the difference between 6'4 McLaughlin and 6'6 Cullen and 6'7 Hines seems more substantial. Especially when you consider the possible match-up between McLaughlin and Gray (6'10), giving away a full 6 inches could be problematic.

I do agree though he is far more athletic, and as this only really matters in the lineout, it should be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

When you put it like that the difference seems negligible, but in feet and inches the difference between 6'4 McLaughlin and 6'6 Cullen and 6'7 Hines seems more substantial. Especially when you consider the possible match-up between McLaughlin and Gray (6'10), giving away a full 6 inches could be problematic.

I do agree though he is far more athletic, and as this only really matters in the lineout, it should be irrelevant.

This theory is born out by Leinster putting Kev up against Gray in the HEC glasgow match. At every Glasgow lineout, It was Kev who tracked Gray. Maybe because he is lighter and any lifter can just fire him up in the air...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Whether or not McLaughlin ends up in the row will have very little to do with the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

crisco10 wrote: »

Just to back that up - I've also heard similar from a few people about Sykes tying up various loose ends here in Ireland at the moment in order to facilitate a move home after his wife gives birth. No smoke without fire and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Whether or not McLaughlin ends up in the row will have very little to do with the lineout.

What do you mean by this irishbucsfan? What do you think will be the key issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What's the technical term for Sykes?
    Harvey Norman is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, could ruddock play second row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey, could ruddock play second row?

Yes, but he'd be a much better #6, it's in everyone's interest, his mostly, that he stay there. Kev, with the greatest respect, is probably past the point of becoming a world class back row and with the players Leinster have, world class is what is required. He could, however, become a very decent second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

ambid wrote: »
    What do you mean by this irishbucsfan? What do you think will be the key issues?

I think he means it won't be the limiting factor. His general bulk as a second row and scrummaging would be more important to look at imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When you put it like that the difference seems negligible, but in feet and inches the difference between 6'4 McLaughlin and 6'6 Cullen and 6'7 Hines seems more substantial.

Eh, what?

The difference is the same whether it's centimetres or inches. Right? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement