Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Didn't munster have four kiwis at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    Didn't munster have four kiwis at one stage?
    Back in 08 4NZ born players did the haka when facing NZ

Mafi has a Tongan passport (he was born there so counts as Kolpak, Manning was IQ so may have had Irish citizenship, Howlett is of Tongan decent and should have a Tongan passport (his brother was a RL international for Tonga) so would count as Kolpak

Ok but in any case the rule says nothing about kolpak. It says European.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Ok but in any case the rule says nothing about kolpak. It says European.

That's what the Kolpak ruling is, it defines citizens of certain countries that have agreements with the EU as European for the purpose of freedom to work and freedom of movement. The have the same rights as European citizens. South Africa and the Pacific Islands are among these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's silly that they call it "Non-EU", it clearly isn't!

Yeah Toulon had trouble with it alright, last season they had to pick 2 of JMF Lobbe, Hayman, Henjak and Contepomi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ian-mckinley-id-give-anything-to-go-back-but-not-my-right-eye-2982211.html
    IT WAS the most innocuous ending to a most promising career. Leaving a Galway restaurant, the vision in Ian McKinley's left eye deserted him permanently. It wasn't confirmed until the following weekend in the Eye and Ear Hospital in Dublin, but McKinley's career as a Leinster rugby player was over. He was just 21.

The beginning of the end came in January of last year. UCD travelled to Lansdowne for an AIL match and in the opening minutes McKinley tried to wrestle possession from an opponent. At the same time, and as he was falling to the ground, a team-mate came over the top and caught his eye with a trailing foot. McKinley hopped up and, believing he had been the victim of a deliberate boot to the head, sought retribution.

There was no pain but a doctor soon grabbed him and the urgency in his voice made McKinley take notice.

He would later be told that it looked like some loosely applied piece of cling-film was all that was stopping his eye from falling out of his head. An 8mm gash meant part of the eye had to be cleared out in an operation and a series of events that would eventually end his career was set in motion. "The only research that has been done is on animals, nothing on humans," McKinley states. "There are only cornea transplants and it's my retina that detached; that's as far as medical science goes."

Career-ending injuries are about as tragic as sport can get, but there was a sting in the tail for McKinley. He returned to Leinster and regained as much as 70pc of his vision in the damaged eye, something his surgeon described as a miracle. However, it was a matter of when and not if the cataract would develop and, in his own words, he was "on borrowed time".

A start at home to Treviso in the RDS fulfilled a lifetime's ambition. McKinley played like a man who knew he was on the clock, scoring one try and creating another, which prompted the 'Belfast Telegraph' headline: 'Leinster find a star in McKinley'.

"It's hard to describe but I knew I had to play as well as I could in the time I had. It was very difficult for Joe (Schmidt) to pick an out-half who was half-blind. It takes a man with great balls to do that for the few matches he did and trust me. Because you still like to think you can do it, ya know?"

That performance against Treviso was the culmination of three successive weeks in the Leinster match-day squad and, along with captaining Ireland against Samoa in the U-20 World Cup, it would turn out to be the highlight of his career.

The final straw came the day after the Heineken Cup final in May when he played a development match and had to come off after 15 minutes with blurred vision in what was his final act for Leinster.

That summer the retina detached and despite three operations, each more complicated and painful than the last, his sight couldn't be restored.

He tried everything to get back playing and even considered switching position, but that wasn't a runner. The dream was dead.

"I weighed the pros and cons up with my dad. The pros were fame, for want of a better word, and playing the sport you love. I didn't care about the money. The cons were, well, your whole life.

"If I did go back would I be good as what I wanted to be? Not a chance, and therefore I'd get frustrated. Is there a chance that the good eye could get hurt? It's one in a billion but I'm not willing to take that chance. There were loads of little things that might never have happened, but they add up and your perspective changes. I'd give anything to go back -- but not my right eye."

Dropping down a level wasn't an option either; he believes his damaged eye had been deliberately targeted on his return to rugby.

"That happened a couple of times when I came back.

"So that's another factor. If I went punching another guy in the head I'd get suspended. That's all I'm willing to say about that.

"That's another factor, if I play amateur rugby and guys know, they might go for it. That happened a couple of times unfortunately. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again.

"You can't (keep the injury under wraps). That's why in some ways playing professional rugby would be safer because there is so much technology and citing commissioners and TV and you have people that are really clued in."

Maybe that's part of the reason he barely keeps track of rugby scores anymore and has been to just two Leinster matches since he left Riverview. He's confident however, the love will return.

"I see results and highlights and it actually means nothing to me anymore. It'll come back though. If I knew I wasn't going to be involved then I'll watch it, but if there was a good chance of me playing then it's harder. So I'll look at little bits of the Heineken Cup but I don't watch the Rabo. It will come back though, of course it will."

Seeking refuge in the bottom of a bottle wasn't an option as being dehydrated aggravates his eye. But it's the well-wishers on a night out that sometimes bring it all home.

"A week after I was told I was blind I went out and I drowned my sorrows a bit but that was it. I still go out, but I get very emotional if I do drink -- as anyone would -- so I keep it to a minimum. People see me when they are drunk and are hugging me as if I'm greatest guy in the world and they are so sad.

"That's hard and then you're drunk on top of it and you're just thinking, 'please stop this'. You want to get out of there. Not through any fault of their own, but it's just..."

The sentence trails off and it's the first time he has been anything other than overwhelmingly positive in our interview.

When he's asked about what he missed out on and what he will miss out on as Leinster continue to go from strength to strength, he talks about what he achieved and cherishes each of his six appearances for Leinster.

But the goalposts have moved. Now he appreciates something as simple as being able to drive.

"It has been the hardest thing I've done and more than likely it will be one of the hardest things I'll have to do in life. Of course there are days when I snap. But it makes people, how they react to things like this.

"That's why I was so relieved to have that one year of playing with Joe (Schmidt) behind me at least. If I didn't do that I would have gone crazy completely. The one thing I wanted to do was start in the RDS and I did that (against Treviso). I remember tackling Xavier Rush when he was coming at me at 100mph against Cardiff.

"We were under the cosh and we gave a good defensive display, it was real backs to the wall stuff; those things I'll forever cherish.

"I got to travel to the most amazing stadiums. I walked a lap of the pitch before the Heineken Cup final. I was on the pitch in Murrayfield and landed a kick there (in the warm-up).

"But I never got to play with (Brian) O'Driscoll; that was my one thing. I was in the squad but it never happened. That would be the one thing I didn't get to do."

People have been kind to him. He gushes about the treatment he received in the Eye and Ear Hospital while St Columba's, Leinster and St Mary's have all thrown their doors open. His parents and friends rallied round and threw a surprise birthday party after the recent Pro12 game against Cardiff, which the Leinster squad attended en-masse.

All the while, he's plotting a re-entry to competitive sport. He has taken inspiration from World Cup-winning Italian midfielder Genarro Gattuso, who also lost sight in his left eye after remarkably similar accident that saw him collide with team-mate Alessandro Nesta.

Hockey is an option, but a return to Gaelic football and Kilmacud Crokes, where he won a Feile in a team that included Dublin's All-Ireland-winning full-back Rory O'Carroll, is most likely.

He has figured that playing on the left side of defence, with the touchline closest to his damaged eye would suit best. He's already completed the Great Wicklow Run and will probably maintain an interest in triathlons.

Next year he'll pursue a career in coaching when he goes for his badges. He shunned the chance of a year travelling: "I wanted to get on with the next phase of my life."

So there is life after rugby?

"There was life during it."

Dropping down a level wasn't an option either; he believes his damaged eye had been deliberately targeted on his return to rugby.

"That happened a couple of times when I came back.

"So that's another factor. If I went punching another guy in the head I'd get suspended. That's all I'm willing to say about that.

"That's another factor, if I play amateur rugby and guys know, they might go for it. That happened a couple of times unfortunately. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again.

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

F*cking hell, thats a heart breaking story.. Sounds like a sound bloke though & no doubt he'll be a success in life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There was an excellent interview with him on Newstalk a few months back, he's a very articulate and intelligent chap by the seems of things and he's dealt with his situation very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What'd you guys think of Flanagan. I was impressed by him. Guy gets a shot and unlike Sykes grabs it.

Hagz wrote: »
    What'd you guys think of Flanagan. I was impressed by him. Guy gets a shot and unlike Sykes grabs it.
    Did wonderful in his shot for a new guy would love to see him get a game or two more this season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Very impressive, mobile, good hands and put in a decent shift. So much for the looming Irish second row crisis

He looked game alright but is he a but small?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

He looked game alright but is he a but small?

According to LR he's 6'6, only 22 so probably has a bit of bulking up to do, think I read someone on here saying that he's only starting working on his rugby full time this season as he wanted to focus on his studies.

shuffol wrote: »
    According to LR he's 6'6, only 22 so probably has a bit of bulking up to do, think I read someone on here saying that he's only starting working on his rugby full time this season as he wanted to focus on his studies.
    first year fully pro. there is a big difference between full professional and academy in terms of the amount of time one can dedicated to rugby.

shuffol wrote: »
    According to LR he's 6'6, only 22 so probably has a bit of bulking up to do, think

Maybe toner made him look small to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

there is a big difference between full professional and academy in terms of the amount of time one can dedicated to rugby.

Academy players are full time I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

padser wrote: »

Not to the same extent as players on full contracts.

padser wrote: »
    A lot of academy players manage full time college as well and I know that few of those drop out/take a break from their course when they become professional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Thought Flanagan was excellent today. Doesn't seem too small to me. Could maybe do with another few Kilos but that'll come with age. He carried well and ran decent support lines. Tackled and defended well and never shied from sticking his head where only a second row would. I've been waiting to see him get a go in a full team and can't but be delighted with how he played. I'd say Joe will be relieved to see him perform so well, the more locks the better at this stage. Something must be up with Sykes. Don't want to get into trying to guess what's up but this is becoming far too similar to the EOD saga.

Great 4 points today as well. I know the ref wan't great but the game was a real test, something that will definitely hold to us in the next few weeks. Glasgow will be well up for next week so we'll need to be at our best. Here's hoping for another 2 wins over the next 2 weeks. Would set us up for a huge April/May.

Keating is up to 8 tries this season for the Knights. Smart move on his behalf, I'd be surprised if his talents aren't noticed by a higher quality team.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Leinster prop Jack McGrath is enjoying learning his frontrow trade from the best

“YEAH,” SAID Jack McGrath. “It was great to get 60 minutes under my belt.”

It was 63 minutes against Connacht in the Sportsground and it is the longest stretch McGrath has had in a blue shirt this season. It was also his first start. No fear. The Academy graduate is the sort of home-grown talent the IRFU had in mind when they dropped their overseas player bombshell on the provinces two weeks ago.

A young prop that has played on both sides of the scrum, McGrath would be viewed by Leinster coach Joe Schmidt as an understudy loosehead behind Cian Healy and Heinke van der Merwe.

Third for McGrath at this stage in his career is good. Third he can live with. Third is being in a comfortable place in Leinster, especially with a coach like Schmidt, who has never been fearful of throwing in young players to blow out a few valves.

“There’s a lot of confidence coming from our last two wins and there were a few young guys in there which helped the rest of us,” said the 22-year-old. “When a few of the younger lads are playing that confidence rubs off on one another and we feel the same way.”

Of all the positions, propping is a world of technical wizardry, a nerdy position of occasional skulduggery that improves with maturity. Just being around other props like Springbok Van der Merwe and Irish frontrow Healy has immeasurable rub-off value.

“We always have a chat because he’s the older guy and has a lot of experience,” he said of the South African. “I just get in his ear the odd time and ask him a few tips. You just need to watch them in training and pick up on their moves. Joe wants everyone to do the same so they do their moves similarly.

“I try to play my own game though and don’t try to replicate others. Obviously though I try to pick up things here or there.”
    An Irish under-20s player, McGrath has come up through the system and will certainly profit from the IRFU’s decision to have only one non-Irish player in each of the 15 positions from 2013 onwards.

But with the Six Nations Championship beginning next month and the prospect of Healy being part of the thinking of Declan Kidney and Ireland, McGrath may find himself with more bench and game time over February and March.

He has a good engine and works hard behind the scenes, which saw Leinster offer him a two-year contract at the beginning of 2011. But much of his working life now is to look and listen and try to make an impact when the windows of opportunity present themselves.

“Yeah. That’s what they want you to do every time you play – to make an impact,” he said. “You have to know your plays and know your role, so you fit in every time.

“It’s hard enough to be patient but I’m happy where I am at the moment. I’m getting my runs and getting good feedback. I’m patient but I’m getting my chance as well so that’s okay.”

Connacht was a chance. McGrath didn’t fall down in a match where the home pack was at their marauding, aggressive best. “I thought we did a lot of work on them and that stood to us well. We didn’t go down there expecting to walk over them and we didn’t,” he said.

“It was hard-fought but I thought we went well enough. I got the first penalty against him (Ronan Loughney), but the next time he’ll know what I’m doing and he might change one thing or another. Every scrum is different.”

No doubt Leinster cut it fine last Sunday and leaned heavily on misfiring Connacht boots. Some would have said Schmidt and his side were lucky.
    “No win is lucky,” said McGrath. Yes, he’s coming on alrigh

He plays both sides of the scrum and has held his own against very good props in the past and has just turned 22. I've been impressed with him ever since I saw him in a Leinster A v Munster A game in UCD a few years ago and he made a complete mockery of Archer in the scrums. Really hoping himself and Furlong get more chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Maybe toner made him look small to me..

Reminds me of when I was at the Ireland All Blacks game in 2010. Toner was doing a warm up jog beside Stringer. Just the two of them. It looked RIDICULOUS. 16 inch height difference.

Higher wrote: »
    He plays both sides of the scrum and has held his own against very good props in the past and has just turned 22. I've been impressed with him ever since I saw him in a Leinster A v Munster A game in UCD a few years ago and he made a complete mockery of Archer in the scrums. Really hoping himself and Furlong get more chances.

As I've said many times this season, it annoys me that Van De Merwe starts ahead of him so much. We gain nothing in the long term by playing VDM, and in the short term we only gain a small bit of extra scrummaging ability (although judging by VDMs scrummaging at times this season, not all that much).

Jack McGrath will be an international standard loose head and the fact he can play TH means he can be very useful in a 22 man squad. He deserves more of a chance than Leinster are giving him.

As I've said many times this season, it annoys me that Van De Merwe starts ahead of him so much. We gain nothing in the long term by playing VDM, and in the short term we only gain a small bit of extra scrummaging ability (although judging by VDMs scrummaging at times this season, not all that much).

Jack McGrath will be an international standard loose head and the fact he can play TH means he can be very useful in a 22 man squad. He deserves more of a chance than Leinster are giving him.

VDM is out of contract after this season so maybe the plan is to not re-sign him and place trust in McGrath.

VDM is out of contract after this season so maybe the plan is to not re-sign him and place trust in McGrath.
    Then McGrath should be getting more league exposure this season imo to prepare him to regularly be in HEC 23s next year

Then McGrath should be getting more league exposure this season imo to prepare him to regularly be in HEC 23s next year

It would appear as though that is happening. He's slowly getting more and more game-time and what with Healy playing in the 6N he will rack up a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Speaking of Leinster props...
    Brumbies feel the luck of the Irish

If the luck of the Irish is on the Brumbies side in 2012, then ACT supporters can shoot a big thank you to one of their newest recruits, Ruaidhri Murphy.

Joining the Brumbies after playing his way through the Irish aged-grade system and a two-year spell with English Premiership side Exeter has hardened the young prop into a quality scrummager and able defender.

But it's his move to Canberra and to the Brumbies that Murphy is most proud of. 2012 will provide the young bookend with ample chances to impress and he is fully aware of the opportunities that await him.

"I've settled in nicely, living in Kingston with the vast majority of the team has been a great way to get the group together," Murphy said.

"Most of the boys live within one or two blocks from my front door so there are plenty of coffee opportunities.

"We're living in each other's pockets spending most of the day together at training and then away from rugby too so we've all become pretty close in a short amount of time."

If you are struggling with the Celtic pronunciation of Murphy's first name don't feel like you're alone.

Rhuaidhri - or ‘Rory' as it would have been spelled had he been born to Australian parents - has proudly represented Ireland at Under 19 and Under 20's but is now keen to wear the gold of Australia.

It will take some time to gain residency and to be classed Australian by the IRB, but that's not a problem for Murphy as his development into a world-class prop steadily continues.

"Moving to Canberra has been a good opportunity for me to come to terms with what it takes to be a Super Rugby player and to move into international rugby in comparison to what I've played before," Murphy said.

"I learned tough lessons about professional rugby while I was young - I was involved with some of the best set ups in Europe at Exeter and Leinster.

"But being in Canberra, preparing for a Super Rugby season with the Brumbies is the dream. It's where I want to be and what I want to do with my life."

One that got away, but with so much talent, it's impossible to keep everyone, and he is someone who would have been considerd behind the likes of McGrath and O'Connell in the academy front row and thus let go.

But, in fairness, it just goes to show how he went on and got first team rugby elsewhere and is now playing Super 15 rugby and talking about international rugby...

I think we're well covered for the future in the propping department, my only concern is the new rules will mean throwing a lot of players in at the deep end, and in some of the most important matches we play each year, which will definitely help them develop, but definitely will be at the cost of the provinces competetiveness.

CAP HIM QUICK

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Ruaidhri Murphy signing for the Brumbies shows more the dearth of good props in Australia than Leinster making a mistake in letting him go. He barely featured for Exeter in the Premiership after making the move there. I hope it goes well for him in Australia but wouldn't count him as one that got away. In Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Jack O'Connell, Jamie Hagan, Martin Moore and Tadhg Furlong, Leinster should be more than covered for good props over the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Speaking of Leinster props...
    One that got away, but with so much talent, it's impossible to keep everyone, and he is someone who would have been considerd behind the likes of McGrath and O'Connell in the academy front row and thus let go.

But, in fairness, it just goes to show how he went on and got first team rugby elsewhere and is now playing Super 15 rugby and talking about international rugby...

He's well older in fairness. He would have been in the academy when Hagan was there originally. He's never managed first team rugby anywhere beyond AIL and the article is way over the top. I knew he was out there and playing domestic rugby in Australia but I'm shocked that he has been picked up by a Super Rugby outfit.

For the record, he's pretty much Australian. The article is slightly misleading in that respect. He grew up there with Irish parents and moved to Ireland when he was a teenager. I reckon that's the big draw for the Brumbies as he won't count as a foreign player for them. Doubt he'll become a regular for them but hope he makes the most of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement