Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

PS, any details on the A game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

LEINSTER (team to face Dragons):

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Shane Horgan
    13: Eoin O'Malley
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: David Kearney
    10: Shaun Berne
    9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Clint Newland
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Trevor Hogan
    6: Rhys Ruddock
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jason Harris-Wright
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Mike Ross
    19: Ed O'Donoghue
    20: Dominic Ryan
    21: Paul O’Donohoe
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Andrew Conway

I'm actually happy that Kearney starting. There will be plenty of chances for Conway so Rob deserves a go. Also happy Ruddock is starting, he was ahead of Ryan last year and then suddenly went into his shadow.

PS, any details on the A game?

LEINSTER ‘A’:

15: Niall Morris
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Darren Hudson
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Michael Keating
    10: Ian McKinley
    9: Paul O’Donohoe CAPTAIN

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Jason Harris-Wright
    3: Simon Shawe
    4: Eoin Sheriff
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Ciaran Ruddock
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Ben Marshall

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Tom Sexton
    17: Ben Prescott
    18: Stewart Maguire
    19: Michael Kearney
    20: Aaron Dundon
    21: John Cooney
    22: Ian Madigan / Collie O’Shea
    23: Sam Coghlan-Murray / Collie O’Shea

Pretty weird the way Reid and Hudson are out of position. I was looking forward to watching Macken play so that's disappointing.

jolley123 wrote: »
    I'm actually happy that Kearney starting. There will be plenty of chances for Conway so Rob deserves a go. Also happy Ruddock is starting, he was ahead of Ryan last year and then suddenly went into his shadow.

Dave Kearney I assume you mean.
    Ruddock is a powerhouse, fair play to Ryan for bullying his way ahead, seems like Shmidt likes him! Ruddock has much to prove, hope he has a big one.

LEINSTER ‘A’:

15: Niall Morris
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Darren Hudson
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Michael Keating
    10: Ian McKinley
    9: Paul O’Donohoe CAPTAIN

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Jason Harris-Wright
    3: Simon Shawe
    4: Eoin Sheriff
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Ciaran Ruddock
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Ben Marshall

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Tom Sexton
    17: Ben Prescott
    18: Stewart Maguire
    19: Michael Kearney
    20: Aaron Dundon
    21: John Cooney
    22: Ian Madigan / Collie O’Shea
    23: Sam Coghlan-Murray / Collie O’Shea

Pretty weird the way Reid and Hudson are out of position. I was looking forward to watching Macken play so that's disappointing.

Super A team! Basically last year's U20s with some extra bite. Reid is a 12 in the mould of Paddy Wallace, incredibly creative. He can play 10 too, but I have seen him tear teams apart at 12. Game vs Ulster last year he played first half as 12, set up two fantastic trys, and played second at 10. Nailed every kick too. Hudson at 13 is very interesting/weird imo!

Would love to be going to this

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Really happy with that senior team.
    Delira that Ruddock starting, and really looking forward to that SH front row!

Also great to see Berne back.

Not sold on Dave Kearney at all, so will be watching him with interest.

Only call I find a bit strange is Hogan, who has played f all in the past 2-3 years starting over EOD, but that's probably on the basis of EOD's injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Thats a nice team to be able to put out in the midst of the Internationals. Looking forward to this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

12 could potentially be Reids best position, he won't make it as an outhalf anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

LFC5Times wrote: »
    12 could potentially be Reids best position, he won't make it as an outhalf anyway.

I've watched Reid a fair few times this season for Clontarf at 10, he's an excellant kicker and very confident in himself, i think he didnt expect the AIL to be as tough as it is, a good seasons exposure at AIL level will show what type of player he really is.

Michael Kearney on the bench for the A's is going to be an excellant player, Irish u20's this season at 6, playing AIL for Clontarf at 5, good mobile unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JHW is on the bench for the first team and starting for the A team... shows our lack of depth at Hooker.

Surely they should limit his game time in order to preserve him. 2 reasons for that... 1) If he picks up an injury while playing for the A team we're screwed, and 2) Tom Sexton will surely need as much game time as he can get in case he is needed to bench for the firsts.

Apart from that there's some great selections. Dave Kearney looks much improved this season, he just needs a chance in the (impossible to break in to) starting team. I think a move to Connacht could be on the cards for him eventually (after college?). Sam Coughlan-Murray on the bench for the As was fantastic for the Ireland U20s when they played Italy.

Interesting that McKinley is starting for the As with Madigan on the bench, but maybe the bracketed selection would point to the fact he might be carrying an injury

Went to the Leinster A vs Ravens today. Have to say well done to the Ravens. Their backs are truly talented. From a Leinster perspective, good game from Keating, Flanagan, Sexton and McKinnley but there was a definite loss of concentration in defense. The likes of Sherridan and Macken were missed I feel. Hudson and Reid just didn't have enough presence, although Reid looked threatening sometimes. I also have to mention that Paulie played well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/21059.php

Fitzgerald is out for 6 weeks, therefore he will miss the HEC back to back with Clermont. Kearney's situation is unclear at this stage.

Bollix. ****ing Autumn internationals.

Could be time for Conway or Baby Kearney to step up. Thought Dave Kearney had a great game the other night, and looked more accomplished than Conway.

I guess Nacewa @ 11 so, provided we don't need him @ 15. Maybe with his pace McFadden is an option. I can't see Smidt having enough faith in Conway/Kearney at HCup level. Mind you, with the match next week, one of them could step up. Next week, I want to see Michael Keating play, he has impressed me at the A games.

I guess Nacewa @ 11 so, provided we don't need him @ 15. Maybe with his pace McFadden is an option. I can't see Smidt having enough faith in Conway/Kearney at HCup level. Mind you, with the match next week, one of them could step up. Next week, I want to see Michael Keating play, he has impressed me at the A games.

Indeed. Shaggy coming into form to so it's not the worst injury that we could have gotten.

Dave Kearney seems like a solid option if we need to put Nacewa at 15. He's not the prospect Conway is but is years ahead in terms of development. This might be the chance he needed.

Please not D.Kearney. One good game does not a player make.

He has been bounced in tackles in professional rugby more times than I've touched myself in the last month.

He has been bounced in tackles in professional rugby more times than I've touched myself in the last month.

He came back this year in great shape and with his head screwed on right. I really think we'll see what he can do.

I think the injury he suffered just out of school really set back his development, but he's finally ready to emerge.

Supposedly he played well on the weekend (haven't been able to see it yet).

I watched it, he had a stormer going forward. The lad has the eyes in the right direction. I just feel sorry for him watching him play vs big/average size wingers. He really has earned a reputation for being bounced like a ping pong ball.

Prove me wrong, please David!

I watched it, he had a stormer going forward. The lad has the eyes in the right direction. I just feel sorry for him watching him play vs big/average size wingers. He really has earned a reputation for being bounced like a ping pong ball.

Prove me wrong, please David!

I remember seeing that, but in fairness to him he's far bigger this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Let's not exargerate, he's only be bounced about 60 times in pro rugby.

And also, Conway has the attacking threat the Kearney junior doesn't. Looks like we could be looking at a back 3 of Conway, Horgan & Fitzgerald for Clermont.

Horgan always steps up when the chips are down, Nacewa's best position is 15, Conway could be getting the chance he needs to announce himself with some serious rugby, and I think Schmidyt seems like the type of guy who rates ability over experience, which is right imo, you can't wrap players in cotton wool all the time, look at the Australia backline - give the young talented guys a shot and they can step up and be devistating.

Kearney was off form and Fitz was having a average time by his high standards and only just coming back from injury.

It's nasty and not many squads in Europe could cope with losing two players of that quality, but I think we can cope, but I just hope we can get the win we need in RDS v Clermont...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Let's not exargerate, he's only be bounced about 60 times in pro rugby.

And also, Conway has the attacking threat the Kearney junior doesn't. Looks like we could be looking at a back 3 of Conway, Horgan & Fitzgerald for Clermont.

Horgan always steps up when the chips are down, Nacewa's best position is 15, Conway could be getting the chance he needs to announce himself with some serious rugby, and I think Schmidyt seems like the type of guy who rates ability over experience, which is right imo, you can't wrap players in cotton wool all the time, look at the Australia backline - give the young talented guys a shot and they can step up and be devistating.

Kearney was off form and Fitz was having a average time by his high standards and only just coming back from injury.

It's nasty and not many squads in Europe could cope with losing two players of that quality, but I think we can cope, but I just hope we can get the win we need in RDS v Clermont...

1/ We don't know if Kearney is out for the Clermont games
    2/ There is basically nothing to suggest Conway is going to be in the frame for selection, he's had a single start under Schmidt
    3/ Kearney has not been off form for Leinster at all, in fact he's been playing quite well for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He did what Rob always does when he gets the ball, i.e. he went into contact. I'd like to see him do well, but he needs to shake that family trait.

I think you're right, O'Malley looked good on Friday (great step and off load for the Boss try) as did Ferg. Ross really helped the scrum in the second half, Boss played really well. Conway when he came on looked dangerous and what can I say about Shaggy. That poor Welsh winger was bloody terrified of him by the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

He came back this year in great shape and with his head screwed on right. I really think we'll see what he can do.

I think the injury he suffered just out of school really set back his development, but he's finally ready to emerge.

Michael Keating is a far better winger than David Kearney, the only reason i can see Kearney getting Leinster starts ahead of Keating is his surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

DK makes Geordan Murphy look like Brian Lima.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭The Rooster

, but I just hope we can get the win we need in RDS v Clermont...

Its "the Fever in the Aviva" :D

I can't see how Rob Kearney will be back, but even if he's not neither his brother nor Conway will start.
    It'll be Nacewa at FB with Horgan and McFadden on the wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

SF-RDS-Aerial-10.jpg

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/5773.php

Please take the Leinster survey, takes less than 5 minutes and will help improve the club and experience. Also, you can win one of ten pairs of premium level tickets for "fever in the aviva" ;)

I put a lot of emphasis on the need for expansion / improvement of facilities at the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Its "the Fever in the Aviva" :D

I can't see how Rob Kearney will be back, but even if he's not neither his brother nor Conway will start.
    It'll be Nacewa at FB with Horgan and McFadden on the wings.

Dric's injury opens it up again, and Conway is out too now.

So O'Malley and Darce in the centre with McFadden on the wing.
    Or McFadden and Darce in the centre with Dave Kearney on the wing.

I wonder would Boss be an option on the wing - he certainly used to play there on occassions, but not in a good while. I don't think we're in that desperate of straits yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Dric's injury opens it up again, and Conway is out too now.

So O'Malley and Darce in the centre with McFadden on the wing.
    Or McFadden and Darce in the centre with Dave Kearney on the wing.

I wonder would Boss be an option on the wing - he certainly used to play there on occassions, but not in a good while. I don't think we're in that desperate of straits yet.

It's a tricky one alright, perhaps even Berne at 12 in a;

9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.McFadden
    12.Berne
    13.D'arcy
    14.Horgan
    15.Nacewa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Conway isn't out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006