Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

D'Arcy and Sexton undergo medical tests

Rugby: Gordon D’Arcy and Jonathan Sexton will undergo medical screening today after sustaining injuries in last night’s 23-19 victory over the Blues at the Cardiff City stadium. D’Arcy was forced off after receiving a blow to the ribs just before the interval and was replaced by Isa Nacewa.

Sexton lasted until the hour mark but was withdrawn - Fionn Carr came on - as a precautionary measure due to what was initially suspected as a tightening hamstring but later diagnosed as cramp. According to Leinster sources both players are expected to be available for next Sunday’s Heineken Cup clash with the Glasgow Warriors at Firhill.

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, it doesn't look too serious as they are expected to be available for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

We could cope with losing Darcy - Fergus looks and plays like him at 12, but the loss of Johnny would make glasgow away a prety nasty assignment.

I saw them wraping his hamstrings up but Id say it was a cautious substitution given the fortnight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Both players didn't seem too bothered coming off. I reckon if it wasn't a Heineken Cup game this weekend they would have stayed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Darce wouldn't be a massive loss as stated given the options we have. Get Sexton out there for 50 minutes to steer the ship. Let McFadden take the kicks just like they let Nacewa take them against against Racing last season when he was returning from a damaged quad. Should get our noses in front and then get him off and wrap him in cotton wool. I'd be happier with him playing against Glasgow and Madigan getting a start against Montpellier if needs be rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wonder if we're all slipping into a Dan Carter-esque phobia of loosing our OH? Sexton is a bit like Drico in the sense any injuries he's suffered he's bounced back from in silly time. Any recent injuries I think of are last season's quad, the broken jaw the year before.. all of which healed up in no time.

I hope the team don't start thinking like that either... The ethos of doing it without Johnny might seem like that bridge too far for some of the players, which shouldn't be really - we should be able to rely on our backup OHs in Mads, McF and Isa (although funnily enough I'd rather see Mads and McF there than Isa).

Finally, can 'cotton wooling' a player be sometimes counter productive by highlighting the above points?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If he was really being wrapped up he wouldn't have started. He played 60 mins, I doubt he'd have stayed on much longer anyway, and if he had a bit of a niggle, particularly if it was a tight hamstring as they thought initially, it made perfect sense to get him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    I wonder if we're all slipping into a Dan Carter-esque phobia of loosing our OH? Sexton is a bit like Drico in the sense any injuries he's suffered he's bounced back from in silly time. Any recent injuries I think of are last season's quad, the broken jaw the year before.. all of which healed up in no time.

I hope the team don't start thinking like that either... The ethos of doing it without Johnny might seem like that bridge too far for some of the players, which shouldn't be really - we should be able to rely on our backup OHs in Mads, McF and Isa (although funnily enough I'd rather see Mads and McF there than Isa).

Finally, can 'cotton wooling' a player be sometimes counter productive by highlighting the above points?

Good point.

While it would be much much harder, I don't think it would be impossible to win a Heineken Cup with Madigan at 10. Might even be beneficial to Sexton if he knew that Leinster's season wasn't dependent on his fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

guapos wrote: »

Absolutely disgusting. Lovely bloke and hopefully he can use his skills to help others when he starts coaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fairly bland squad update:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9243.php
    Browne, Sexton going to be OK for this weekend, D'Arcy to be tested again later in the week.

No mention of Sykes... this really is turning into Ed O'Donoghue mk II.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hagz wrote: »
    Keating is up to 8 tries this season for the Knights. Smart move on his behalf, I'd be surprised if his talents aren't noticed by a higher quality team.

Keating is good enough to come back and play wing for Connacht or Munster.

Robin Copeland has scored 10 trys for rotherham playing blindside, i'd be suprised if we dont see him move up to the premiership also.

• Advertisement

The thing with Sykes is.. I think LR have been down playing his injury. It looked pretty serious when it happened, and I would've been doubtful of his return before the new year... I'm hoping his lack of game time is injury related, because if it's not then I feel more sinister forces could be at work... namely the IRFU. ;)

Good point.

While it would be much much harder, I don't think it would be impossible to win a Heineken Cup with Madigan at 10. Might even be beneficial to Sexton if he knew that Leinster's season wasn't dependent on his fitness.

Yeah, and whether it is possible or not to win with Mads, the main thing is the team focus on what's ahead of them. I thought Heaslip spoke quite well after the match and I think he touched on that point when he said they no longer think about who, where or what they're playing, they just focus on the match ahead of them no matter the circumstances. I think he was tongue-in-cheek referring to the ref and possible the hyped up Cardiff squad. It's a great attitude to have - it's a job, go in and do it no matter what's stacked against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The thing with Sykes is.. I think LR have been down playing his injury. It looked pretty serious when it happened, and I would've been doubtful of his return before the new year... I'm hoping his lack of game time is injury related, because if it's not then I feel more sinister forced could be at work... namely the IRFU. ;)

Ah! The old paranoia defence. They would hardly allow Leinster to sign a player and then conspire against them actually playing him.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ah! The old paranoia defence. They would hardly allow Leinster to sign a player and then conspire against them actually playing him.

The words knee, jerk and reaction come to mind. ;) Nah I'm only joking obviously. I think it's the injury thing.

But you wonder if LR might've pushed for a replacement for Hines of a certain quality, perhaps thinking Toner wouldn't come through (which a lot of people here including myself thought), now that Toner, Cullen and even Browne are doing the dirty work required, Locky can cover, and now Flanagan getting some senior game time... Well, who can be blamed for being paranoid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The words knee, jerk and reaction come to mind. ;) Nah I'm only joking obviously. I think it's the injury thing.

But you wonder if LR might've pushed for a replacement for Hines of a certain quality, perhaps thinking Toner wouldn't come through (which a lot of people here including myself thought), now that Toner, Cullen and even Browne are doing the dirty work required, Locky can cover, and now Flanagan getting some senior game time... Well, who can be blamed for being paranoid. ;)

Yes, Just because they are after you doesn't mean to say you actually aren't paranoid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Can't wait for the ERC to start back again. Feeling very optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Yes, Just because they are after you doesn't mean to say you actually aren't paranoid. :D

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Good interview from Sexton. Dare I say it, he's quite like O'Gara in that he speaks his mind.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Good interview from Sexton. Dare I say it, he's quite like O'Gara in that he speaks his mind.

He's MUCH better than O'Gara at speaking his mind. In fact I'd probably rate Madigan ahead of O'Gara...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

He's MUCH better than O'Gara at speaking his mind. In fact I'd probably rate Madigan ahead of O'Gara...

Yeah I agree Madigan really just runs with it rather then kicking it to touch like ROG!

• Advertisement

Montpellier game sold out:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8785.php

If it wasn't at an ungodly hour of a Saturday afternoon, I'd say there would be a great atmosphere... Hopefully the lads will give us plenty to cheer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Montpellier game sold out:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8785.php

If it wasn't at an ungodly hour of a Saturday afternoon, I'd say there would be a great atmosphere... Hopefully the lads will give us plenty to cheer anyway.

I find the Saturday afternoon match's great, they where last year. Into town for about 12, few beers, off to match and then back to a pub to watch some more rugby. Better than 1 on a Sunday when nobody can get into town without driving

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I find the Saturday afternoon match's great, they where last year. Into town for about 12, few beers, off to match and then back to a pub to watch some more rugby. Better than 1 on a Sunday when nobody can get into town without driving

Well, when you put it like that... See you in Paddy Cullen's for breakfast!

Well, when you put it like that... See you in Paddy Cullen's for breakfast!

FRY is up!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Any news on Shaggy folks ?

For those who can get out of bed on the Sunday.....will try and make it but will probably be still drunk:eek:

Dear Season Ticket Holder,

B&I Cup Quarter Final – Season Ticket holders go free!

The Leinster A squad have successfully qualified for their first Quarter Final in what is the second year of the British and Irish Cup.

They have secured a home advantage against Welsh club Pontypridd which will be played in Donnybrook on Sunday, 22nd January at 2pm.

Leinster Season Ticket holders can access this game free of charge by simply showing their Season Ticket card at the turnstiles. Additional adults are €10 each and children under 18 years go free.

Please come along, wear your blue and show your support!

Can't make next week's game? – Sell your tickets on Team Exchange/ Lend to a friend

Leinster's Pool 5 Heineken Cup fixture against Montpellier is now sold out. While we may receive a small number of returns from Montpellier we still expect demand to exceed supply.

For this reason we would encourage any Season Ticket holders who are not able to attend the game next Saturday to either pass their ticket onto a friend (you can email them a paper copy via your account if you don't wish to give them your Season card) or to avail of the Team Exchange facility.

Team Exchange allows you to put your seat up for sale online for other supporters to purchase and if sold your Season Ticket account will be credited with 70% of the full value of the ticket, this credit can then be used against tickets for other games or taken off your Season Ticket renewal price.

Full instructions on how to use this facility are available on our website via this link:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/content/Team_Exchange_sell.pdf

We look forward to seeing you all next weekend and kicking off another great year in the RDS!

Kind regards,

Leinster Rugby Ticket Office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The thing with Sykes is.. I think LR have been down playing his injury. It looked pretty serious when it happened, and I would've been doubtful of his return before the new year... I'm hoping his lack of game time is injury related, because if it's not then I feel more sinister forced could be at work... namely the IRFU. ;)

Exactly.

They would hardly introduce a rule that prevents Munster from signing another Howlett, or Leinster from signing Nacewa, or one that could force Leinster to sign a 6, 7 or 8 just use up their NIE spot, or get the ticket pricing so wrong that even with the rugby boom in this country the national team ends up playing tri nation opposition in a half empty stadium, or give their coach a 4 yr extension before Ireland's worst ever RWC performance......

Oh wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

anybody know is Luke injured or is it IRFU orders or what's the story ???? I know Dave has been playing well and fair play to him getting the start - just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

anybody know is Luke injured or is it IRFU orders or what's the story ???? I know Dave has been playing well and fair play to him getting the start - just wondering.

Strained neck and calf I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Sprained neck according to twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement