Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

agree with .AK, Conway is excellent defensively, Kearney might seem to make more ground but he's surprisingly poor defensively, Carr is inconsistent. IMO Conway has the best potential of all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Am I right in thinking that if Leinster beat Montpellier next week they'll get Harlequins in the 1/4 final?

That could be a pretty dodgy match,even if it is in the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that if Leinster beat Montpellier next week they'll get Harlequins in the 1/4 final?

Harlequins or Ulster, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Still too hard to predict. Could be any of about four teams like ulster, embra, Cardiff, quins,

I know qualification depends on next week results but if I'm being totally honest then I think Clermont will beat Ulster.

Clermont have one of the best squads in Europe and are very strong at home. Their away form is poor but I just can't see them losing at home.

Ulster have improved remarkably over the last few years but I don't know if they have enough to beat Clermont. It will definitely be tight game. I don't think Ulster will be dominated but Clermont back down either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

I know qualification depends on next week results but if I'm being totally honest then I think Clermont will beat Ulster.

Clermont have one of the best squads in Europe and are very strong at home. Their away form is poor but I just can't see them losing at home.

Ulster have improved remarkably over the last few years but I don't know if they have enough to beat Clermont. It will definitely be tight game. I don't think Ulster will be dominated but Clermont back down either.

your dead right rory clegg. i heard during the week that clermont havent lost a game at home since 2009 - toulon gave them a good go recently though - think its on rugbydump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I actually don't reckon Ulster will get through. Cardiff/Embra will have 21 points, and Quins will have 20 and could have 21. Ulster need to get, therefore, 1 if not 2 points in Clermont. Not an easy task.

roycon wrote: »
    your dead right rory clegg.
    I am not affiliated with Harlequins in any way :D

I think Ulster are actually the second best province in Ireland right now. Their pack is a match for any in Europe and their backs are very dangerous.

But Clermont are just so good at home. Clermont are one one of the favourites to win the Heineken Cup and I think thay'll just have a bit too much for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Two matches next week may strech the squad slightly

I've heard Struass and McLaughlin will be back fit, I've heard Berquist may be back soon as well, it was supposed to be early January I think, assuming Sexton is fit this would be my squads

HEC 23

Healy Strauss Ross
    Toner Cullen
    SOB Heaslip Jennings
    Redden Sexton
    McFadden EOM
    Nacewa Kearney DKearney
    Cronin VDM White Browne McLaughlin Boss Madigan Darcy

B&I Cup 22
    McGrath Dundon Hagan
    Flanagan Sykes
    Ruddock Auva Murphy
    Cooney Reid/Berquist
    O'Shea Macken
    Carr Conway Hudson
    Sexton O'Connell Keogh Marshall McGrath Reid/Marsh Boyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

O'Driscoll, Shaggy, Fitz and possibly Sexton out of next week, and who knows how long.

If Sexton isn't 100% I wouldn't start him.

Who knows what Montpellier will send to Dublin, plus we're through, and Madigan is a quality player and can do the job for us, deserves his shot and no way is it worth risking Sexton.

For Montpellier, and assuming above are unavailable, I'd go for:

9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Nacewa
    12. D'Arcy
    13. O'Malley
    14. McFadden
    15. R. Kearney

I'd drop Ross for White also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Jamie Hagan played 80 mins for Old Belvedere on saturday against Clontarf. He didnt exactly stand out in a very poor Belvo team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

shuffol wrote: »
    Yea especially since nobody else is really putting their hands up.

He has improved massively this season, but I just don't see Kidney picking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He has improved massively this season, but I just don't see Kidney picking him.

He's done very well in recent weeks but I still say its a year too early for him, he's not the finished article but is improving every week so my tendency would be to leave him at Leinster where he's starting regularly. Tuohy, Ryan and McCarthy are all better options at this stage but I agree that Toner does offer something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

To be fair, Toner is a middle of the lineout man and is not competing for the 4 shirt. He and POC would be an ill-fitting combination. He'd be fast tracked to the starting team if POC got injured, but Tuohy, Ryan and (in all probability) our good friend O'Callaghan are all fighting for the 4 jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Quote from Schmidt after the game yesterday

"We risked leaving out Richardt Strauss and Luke Fitzgerald, and we're hopeful that those two guys might be available next week," said Schmidt.

Sounds like Schmidt hasnt heard the rumours about Fitzgerald yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thank god

Thank god

Shouldn't we Tell him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I make a point of not believing injury rumours as going by them half the Irish team would have retired by now, but Schmidt was saying something similar about BOD at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also there's a touch of mind games when it comes to what you tell the press, as the opposition may be reading...

Thank god
    Don't think ODriscoll has anything to do with the physios at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Quote from Schmidt after the game yesterday

"We risked leaving out Richardt Strauss and Luke Fitzgerald, and we're hopeful that those two guys might be available next week," said Schmidt.

Great news, not so much for Leinster as I don't think we'll particularly need him again until April, but I'm delighted that (if this is true) he'll be in the mix for the Six Nations. He's the form #11 in Ireland so deserves a run at some stage at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Great news, not so much for Leinster as I don't think we'll particularly need him again until April, but I'm delighted that (if this is true) he'll be in the mix for the Six Nations. He's the form #11 in Ireland so deserves a run at some stage at least.

Yep, for me it's Fitzy and Trimble battling it out for the 11 shirt. Bowe will default in the squad.

Earls should be on the bench imo, but will probably start at 13. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Sexton wins Bank Of Ireland November/December player of the month.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9266.php

Nice to see him heap praise on Madigan for his performances so far this season also.

Kinger83 wrote: »
    Sexton wins Bank Of Ireland November/December player of the month.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9266.php

Nice to see him heap praise on Madigan for his performances so far this season also.

Total gent

Don't think ODriscoll has anything to do with the physios at the moment.

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

durkadurka wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

Think he's referring to BOD as god.

I didn't get it the first time either :o

If I try to explain it ill cringe.

Cullen out for ten weeks with Achilles surgery....
    I'm getting worried....

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    Cullen out for ten weeks with Achilles surgery....
    I'm getting worried....
    He has been quite poor this season but his leadership could be a vital missing part.

I wonder who is next in line. I guess Jenno? Perhaps Heaslip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement