Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Another good guy may have to retire through injury.

From the IT

Leinster boss fears retirement a possibility for injured Horgan

Friday January 20 2012

SHANE HORGAN's chances of playing again this season are looking increasingly slim and Joe Schmidt yesterday admitted his fear that the 33-year-old may be forced to retire as a result of his ongoing knee injury.

The winger has not played this season after undergoing surgery last summer. He had earlier spoken of his hope of returning midway through Leinster's campaign, but, having undergone a second operation, it appears unlikely that he will make a return.

With no firm date set for his comeback, Schmidt acknowledged that Horgan will need to show signs of recovery in the next six weeks in order to prove he could play again this season.

"It's been such a long road for Shane that there's obviously a lot of frustration for him and a lot of frustration for us," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

phog wrote: »

From the IT

Yeah I wasn't too hopeful of him coming back after the second surgery. Terrible way to end a career if it does end it. He'd been in such good form and def had a season or two left to offer playing at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's a real real shame. He was a brilliant player for Leinster and Ireland over the years.
    He was a key player in the Heineken Cup last year and his height advantage was used very well by Sexton at restarts.

Where did he pick the inury? Magners League final last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

B&I cup QF Leinster A V PONTYPRIDD Donnybrook

Admission is free on Sunday for schoolchildren (Under-18) and Leinster season ticket holders upon presentation of this year’s membership card.

LEINSTER ‘A’:

15: AN Other
    14: Darren Hudson
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Colm O’Shea
    11: Andrew Boyle
    10: Noel Reid
    9: John Cooney

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Nathan White
    4: Neilus Keogh
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Ciaran Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Leo Auva’a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Tom Sexton
    17: Jack O’Connell
    18: Jack Conan
    19: Conor Gilsenan
    20: Luke McGrath
    21: Cathal Marsh
    22: Barry Daly

PONTYPRIDD:

15: Harley Thomson
    14: Lewis I Williams
    13: Gavin Dacey
    12: Dafydd Lockyer
    11: Matthew Nuthall
    10: Simon Humberstone
    9: Rhys Downes

1: Chris Phillips
    2: Huw Dowden
    3: Pat Palmer
    4: Cory Hill
    5: Ryan Savage
    6: Chris Dicomidis CAPTAIN
    7: Wayne O’Connor
    8: Dan Godfrey

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Garyn Lucas
    17: Gareth Wyatt
    18: Gary Williams
    19: Rhys Williams
    20: Tom Hetherington
    21: Jake Thomas
    22: Ryan Harford

I'd say 15 will be D.Kearney if not used in Tomorrow's match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I wonder will d Kearney be the an other after we get through tomorrows game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

B&I cup QF Leinster A V PONTYPRIDD Donnybrook

Admission is free on Sunday for schoolchildren (Under-18) and Leinster season ticket holders upon presentation of this year’s membership card.

LEINSTER ‘A’:

15: AN Other
    14: Darren Hudson
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Colm O’Shea
    11: Andrew Boyle
    10: Noel Reid
    9: John Cooney

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Nathan White
    4: Neilus Keogh
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Ciaran Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Leo Auva’a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Tom Sexton
    17: Jack O’Connell
    18: Jack Conan
    19: Conor Gilsenan
    20: Luke McGrath
    21: Cathal Marsh
    22: Barry Daly

PONTYPRIDD:

15: Harley Thomson
    14: Lewis I Williams
    13: Gavin Dacey
    12: Dafydd Lockyer
    11: Matthew Nuthall
    10: Simon Humberstone
    9: Rhys Downes

1: Chris Phillips
    2: Huw Dowden
    3: Pat Palmer
    4: Cory Hill
    5: Ryan Savage
    6: Chris Dicomidis CAPTAIN
    7: Wayne O’Connor
    8: Dan Godfrey

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Garyn Lucas
    17: Gareth Wyatt
    18: Gary Williams
    19: Rhys Williams
    20: Tom Hetherington
    21: Jake Thomas
    22: Ryan Harford

I'd say 15 will be D.Kearney if not used in Tomorrow's match

Barry Daly included on the bench? He's in the Irish u-20s side, from Gonzaga & UCD. Selected here effectively ahead of Sam Coghlan-Murray, who I've only ever heard good things about.

He's very young, but a good promising player.

Ciaran Ruddock getting the chance to captain after Rhys getting a start for the 1sts, big weekend for the Ruddock boys! :)

Love the look of that bench; so much young talent like Gilsenan, McGrath & Marsh.

Don't know anything about the Pontypridd side at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    I wonder will d Kearney be the an other after we get through tomorrows game
    Hard on Marshall to not get in the squad.

No Conway/Coghlan Murray in their either

ongarite wrote: »
    Is Cullen going to go ahead with his achilles operation now?
    I thought I read he was going to delay it till after the weekend HC games and then make a decision (based on 6 Nations needs presumably)

If he went for the operation now, there is a chance he could be back for the QF match.
    Meeting on Sunday with Joe and Decie. His appointment was supposed to be next week sometime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the IT

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

I'd be really sad to see Shaggy go. It's always sad when a player is effectively forced into a decision because of injury and not given the opportunity to bow out at the end of a season because of their own plans.

However; if he never plays another minute for Leinster or Ireland he'll still surely go down as one of our greatest ever wingers and players. Winning the Heineken in Cardiff also probably wouldn't be the worst memory to bow out on either.

He's scored some of the greatest tries I can ever remember; especially the two most prominent ones in my mind for Ireland against England; the 'Inspector Gadget' try in the corner in Twickenham on Paddy's Day to secure a Triple Crown, and the infamous cross-field from O'Gara in Croker.

The other good thing about this at least is that he's a really smart guy, and has worked hard to provide for his future away from the game, by obtaining an LLB from Portobello College, and an LLM from Trinity. I believe he's currently working towards his BL in King's Inns as well, so hopefully he'll have a good future for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dotopo

The other good thing about this at least is that he's a really smart guy, and has worked hard to provide for his future away from the game, by obtaining an LLB from Portobello College, and an LLM from Trinity. I believe he's currently working towards his BL in King's Inns as well, so hopefully he'll have a good future for himself.

Even better than that, he got his LLB from Griffith College. I don't think you can do an LLM in Trinity if you do law in Portobello or DBS. In fact I dont even think Portobello or DBS law degrees are actually recognised.

dotopo wrote: »
    Even better than that, he got his LLB from Griffith College. I don't think you can do an LLM in Trinity if you do law in Portobello or DBS. In fact I dont even think Portobello or DBS law degrees are actually recognised.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post a link to it here or not, but google his linkedin profile and you'll see where he got his LLB from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Does anyone know why Conway is not named in the squad for Sunday? Please tell me he's not injured again... Or is he AN Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Dreadful to see someone forced out through injury, really brings up issue of the volatility of the profession. He's going out on a high - not that it will be much consolation but wish him every success at whatever he chooses to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Does anyone know why Conway is not named in the squad for Sunday? Please tell me he's not injured again... Or is he AN Other?
    They might be holding him back in case he's needed in the first team (McFadden, Nacewa or Carr could be carrying knocks?)

Great for Barry Daly. Hopefully hell get a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Crying out for some Photoshopping:

Sean-Cronin-Leinster-2011_2703950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hope Horgan can pull through and prove his fitness but seeing as its unlikely, he will always be remember for this try against England in 2006.

They might be holding him back in case he's needed in the first team (McFadden, Nacewa or Carr could be carrying knocks?)
    I thought that was DKearneys job. They can't both be on standby, can they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Got a knock so yeah injured. But shouldn't keep him out more than this one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »
    Got a knock so yeah injured. But shouldn't keep him out more than this one game.

That's a pity, great opportunity to impress before decisions are made for the National setup.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    That's a pity, great opportunity to impress before decisions are made for the National setup.

Don't think he's ready for Int rugby, wolfhound is right for him. If it is true and Horgan is hanging up his boots, then I'd expect a lot of rugby from Conway on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did anyone hear
    anything about Ruddock going to Munster?:( Maybe it's already been discussed? Apologies if it has.

edit: Sorry, found the story here http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/schmidt-sweats-as-munster-eye-up-ruddock-180883.html

Did anyone hear
    anything about Ruddock going to Munster?:( Maybe it's already been discussed? Apologies if it has.

edit: Sorry, found the story here http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/schmidt-sweats-as-munster-eye-up-ruddock-180883.html

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Munster have been trying to get him for a while now but he doesn't want to go. They're gonna have to tempt him bigshtyle to get him to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Munster have been trying to get him for a while now but he doesn't want to go. They're gonna have to tempt him bigshtyle to get him to leave.

Where you get this notion that he doesn't want to go? He wants to play rugby for a top team. Munster may be able to provide that while, Leinster cannot. I assume that, he will make any decision for professional reasons as, he doesn't have the same personal ties his province that most of our other players have.

Where you get this notion that he doesn't want to go? He wants to play rugby for a top team. Munster may be able to provide that while, Leinster cannot. I assume that, he will make any decision for professional reasons as, he doesn't have the same personal ties his province that most of our other players have.

Oh I've no doubt that he wants to be playing for a top team consistently, but make no mistake, he has strong personal ties with Leinster. Girlfriend here, Dad and brother here, living in an apartment with a fellow Leinster player and friend, highly respected by the coaches and senior players. It's not so much that he doesn't want to go, more so that he doesn't want to leave. But as you said, Munster may be able to give him something Leinster can't. I'm just saying that I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Oh I've no doubt that he wants to be playing for a top team consistently, but make no mistake, he has strong personal ties with Leinster. Girlfriend here, Dad and brother here, living in an apartment with a fellow Leinster player and friend, highly respected by the coaches and senior players. It's not so much that he doesn't want to go, more so that he doesn't want to leave. But as you said, Munster may be able to give him something Leinster can't. I'm just saying that I doubt it.

Then why is he considering Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

tolosenc wrote: »
    Then why is he considering Munster?

Boom boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Born here, schooled here, all his family live here, all friends here, other half here. He wants to stay at Leinster. He has played more rugby for Leinster this season than all bar only a few players and captained the side repeatedly. Munster will try and tempt him away but that will only be on the basis that they can basically guarantee him HEC starts. Munster also need to do the business on the pitch to entice him down there. If he goes, it will be for a hefty pay cheque, which I'm not sure he's worth at this point and the idea that the Munster back row will be built around himself and POM.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Will the IRFU allow 2 provinces to have a bidding war for a player, after all they will be the paymaster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will the IRFU allow 2 provinces to have a bidding war for a player, after all they will be the paymaster.

Other than Jennings Leinster have a relatively young back row and also youngish back up players. Compared to Munster where Wallace, Leamy, and Coughlan are not spring chickens anymore. It would be in the IRFU's interest for Ruddock to move from Leinster.

I don't know if there would be a bidding war either. I'm sure Leinster would be keen to keep him but would also know that there are plenty of back ups available here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement