Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Other than Jennings Leinster have a relatively young back row and also youngish back up players. Compared to Munster where Wallace, Leamy, and Coughlan are not spring chickens anymore. It would be in the IRFU's interest for Ruddock to move from Leinster.

I don't know if there would be a bidding war either. I'm sure Leinster would be keen to keep him but would also know that there are plenty of back ups available here.

Tend to agree. Leinster's negotiating position will be "We rate you, we want you, we reckon you've a big future with us and you'll win with us. We're willing to offer a 21 year old x amount though and we do have other players available although we'd love for you to stay."

Munster will be "We want you and we're willing to make you a key member of our side and get back to the top with you playing a big role. Leinster are offering x amount. We'll offer x plus 20%".

Leinster won't be held to ransom when SOB, Kev Mc and Ryan are all in the squad with Kev Mc the eldest at 27. He could well leave but I reckon he'd much rather stay and be part of the Leinster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

GerM wrote: »
    Tend to agree. Leinster's negotiating position will be "We rate you, we want you, we reckon you've a big future with us and you'll win with us. We're willing to offer a 21 year old x amount though and we do have other players available although we'd love for you to stay."

Munster will be "We want you and we're willing to make you a key member of our side and get back to the top with you playing a big role. Leinster are offering x amount. We'll offer x plus 20%".

Leinster won't be held to ransom when SOB, Kev Mc and Ryan are all in the squad with Kev Mc the eldest at 27. He could well leave but I reckon he'd much rather stay and be part of the Leinster team.

Provinces are not permitted to outbid each other over Irish players in the way suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Realistically Jenno is on his way out, and Ruddock, IMO, is becoming a better option than Locky. Next season, with Dom Ryan restablished, I forsee a back row and the back row sub of Ryan, O'Brien, Heaslip, and Ruddock.

And if Leamy is not a Spring chicken now, then Heaslip won't be at the end of next season.

Ruddock is 21 now. When he's 24, the likes of Heaslip and Locky will be fading out.

That said, if his inclusion in this weekend's squad is because he siad he was thinking of going to Munster (i.e. whinging à la ROG after the Australia game), then I'd be very disappointed in Joe.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Provinces are not permitted to outbid each other over Irish players in the way suggested.

Interesting. Something I never really knew. I'm sure money has to play some part of the talks though and, even if not in an official capacity, surely the topic is discussed off the record in relation to other offers?

tolosenc wrote: »
    Realistically Jenno is on his way out, and Ruddock, IMO, is becoming a better option than Locky. Next season, with Dom Ryan restablished, I forsee a back row and the back row sub of Ryan, O'Brien, Heaslip, and Ruddock.

And if Leamy is not a Spring chicken now, then Heaslip won't be at the end of next season.

Ruddock is 21 now. When he's 24, the likes of Heaslip and Locky will be fading out.

Heaslip is over 2 years younger than Leamy and has been very unaffected by injury. He should be able to maintain his performance levels for another 3-4 years before slowing down.

I feel McLaughlin must be the most underrated player in Irish rugby. He's such an intelligent, technically excellent rugby player that never gets the credit he deserves. To be honest, I think he's the man Munster should have approached when Quinlan was winding down. His positioning, set piece work, tackling, work rate and positioning going into contact right down to his ball presentation are generally excellent. He's the Denis Irwin of Leinster rugby. Rarely makes any mistake and goes about everything with unerring consistency.

Ruddock has a bit of distance to travel for me to become as valuable a player but he has time on his side in spades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

tolosenc wrote: »

That said, if his inclusion in this weekend's squad is because he siad he was thinking of going to Munster (i.e. whinging à la ROG after the Australia game), then I'd be very disappointed in Joe.

I know you're only speculating but there is absolutely no evidence of that, very unfair to suggest it. My theory is that Jennings was never going to play because Schmidt wanted a bigger physical presence in the back row and with McLaughlin out, Ruddock fitted the bill nicely.

I think Schmidt should do all he can to keep him within reason anyway. As you say, Heaslip and McLaughlin are getting older so a back row of O'Brien, Ryan and Ruddock would have unbelievable talent, power and balance.

If only Ryan could stay injury free for a bit...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

jacothelad wrote: »

Is this still true? I remember in Jackman's book him mentioning that when he was with Connacht Leinster couldn't talk to him. If I remember right he had to almost quit Connacht before he could do anything with Leinster.

With Hagan et al leaving Connacht last year I thought this rule was gone.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Guys is Kevin Maggs training with Leinster?

Could have sworn I saw him on a TV clip showing Leinster's injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jayteecork wrote: »

Player coach at Mosely at the moment so probably not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jayteecork wrote: »

Jesus, I would imagine not, Maggs must be shoving on for 40 now?

It wasn't Guy Easterby?
    584125.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He is younger than a certain Bull:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CatFromHue wrote: »
    With Hagan et al leaving Connacht last year I thought this rule was gone.

Well Leinster outbid LI for Hagan apparently and it's possible Carr just wanted to come home so wasn't interested in any Connacht offer.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It wasn't Guy Easterby?
    584125.jpg

Probably was him actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Any word on Healy's injury, not great to see a prop being aided off the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think I read in the indo that it's nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

phog wrote: »
    Any word on Healy's injury, not great to see a prop being aided off the field?

Schmidt said he was fine after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Healy always seems to look like he's been in a car crash when he's walking off the pitch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Healy always seems to look like he's been in a car crash when he's walking off the pitch!

Poor car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone watching the Leinster a game? Who is playing at 7? It's supposed to be murphy

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Leinster a game? Who is playing at 7? It's supposed to be murphy

It's Conor Gilsenan, my great hope for the future. Bagged himself a try. Murphy is playing 6.

13-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Young gilsenan I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah was lovely try. So ciaran is injured? Who's cpt?

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah was lovely try. So ciaran is injured? Who's cpt?

Jack McGrath.

Macken try, converted by Reid. 20-0, half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hopefully Munster and Leinster will meet at some stage, it would be great to have a Munster Leinster final! That could draw a decent crowd.

Length of field intercept for Macken. 27-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Sorry if this has being asked before but has leinster ever thought about building it's own stadium ? I presume they are paying rent on the RDS whick looks very aged in my opinion aswell

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Sorry if this has being asked before but has leinster ever thought about building it's own stadium ? I presume they are paying rent on the RDS whick looks very aged in my opinion aswell

They redeveloped Donnybrook but did much better, more quickly in terms of marketing than expected so the ground was redundant by the time it was finished. That's Leinster's home ground and has been a waste of money really. RDS might not be pretty but it's a perfect size and location for Leinster and they've a 20 year lease on it until 2027. If they need anything bigger, the Aviva is always there to use.

Darren Hudson in. 32-0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

luckyfrank wrote: »

Definitely not happening any time soon. The RDS does the job for the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement