Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Posted this on the Woulfhounds thread but here goes again as it's a Leinster news item really.

Ml Corcoran tweeted
    Leo Cullen out for 6/8 weeks after op today on both his Achilles tendons

Best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just been informed what day the Leinster QF is on. You'll be happy, that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Leinster will play Cardiff on the Saturday at 5:45pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

TheTwiz wrote: »

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

TheTwiz wrote: »

Official Leinster Supporters Club
    The KO times for the Quarter Finals will be announced tomorrow by the ERC. Tickets go on sale to ST holders at 2pm. Details of public sales TBC.

This was posted by Leinster earlier today!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Official Leinster Supporters Club
    The KO times for the Quarter Finals will be announced tomorrow by the ERC. Tickets go on sale to ST holders at 2pm. Details of public sales TBC.

This was posted by Leinster earlier today!!!

Announced to the public that is.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

You'll see tomorrow that it'll be 5:45 on the Sat. Munster v Ulster will be Easter Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When do tickets go on sale to ST holders for the Munster away game? Keep thinking I've missed the boat but I presume they haven't gone on sale yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

.ak wrote: »
    When do tickets go on sale to ST holders for the Munster away game? Keep thinking I've missed the boat but I presume they haven't gone on sale yet?

Early March or late Feb I'd expect them to go on sale. If you're a season ticket holder you'll get an email about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Good time for the match. Looks likely now though that Cullen wont be fit for the quarter final.

We'll live in hope though that, should we make it, we'll have Cullen and BOD back for the semi! :pac:

Fitz still struggling with injury it seems, and has been given a 4 week lay off, Sexton still not training 100% (and IRFU have absolutely no problem ending players seasons if not 100% fit to the Irish cause, so hopefully Sexton will be ok), Conway pulled out of squad injured, Dom Ryan still not back from injury, don't think McLoughlin is back yet either, Horgans career is supposedly over, Sykes has left Leinster, Conway still seems MIA with injury and God only knows what's going on with Berquist, yet another dud I suspect.

Squad is going to be very stretched over the next couple of months.

Fingers crossed we don't pick up any more injuries during the international window (as one or two seasons often end for Leinster players around that time of year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

On that, does anyone know when BOD is due back, and how long it will take to get him to match fitness? Is the Semi-Final (if we make it) a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Good time for the match. Looks likely now though that Cullen wont be fit for the quarter final.

We'll live in hope though that, should we make it, we'll have Cullen and BOD back for the semi! :pac:

Fitz still struggling with injury it seems, and has been given a 4 week lay off, Sexton still not training 100% (and IRFU have absolutely no problem ending players seasons if not 100% fit to the Irish cause, so hopefully Sexton will be ok), Conway pulled out of squad injured, Dom Ryan still not back from injury, don't think McLoughlin is back yet either, Horgans career is supposedly over, Sykes has left Leinster, Conway still seems MIA with injury and God only knows what's going on with Berquist, yet another dud I suspect.

Squad is going to be very stretched over the next couple of months.

Fingers crossed we don't pick up any more injuries during the international window (as one or two seasons often end for Leinster players around that time of year).

It does appear gloomy on the injury front, but despite that we go into the 6N as league leaders and a home 1/4 final in the HC. We survived during the WC with a pretty bad injury list as well, so I think we'll be OK.

Just on Berquist - think its a bit unfair to call him a dud, he looked good during the few games he did play before picking up a nasty injury. Should hopefully be back soon and will provide a bit more cover. Think I remember when he was signed that he can play 12 as well, would be nice to have the extra options if needed.

A team like this is still entriely possible and ain't half bad:

15. Nacewa
    14. D. Kearney
    13. O'Malley (lets be real - he ain't being picked under Deccie)
    12. McFadden/Macken/(don't see McF being involed in every 6N match so might be around for a few games.
    11. Carr
    10. Madigan
    9. Boss/Cooney
    8. A'Auva
    7. Ruddock
    6. McL
    5. Toner
    4. Browne
    3. Van der Merwe/McGrath
    2. Strauss
    1. White/Hagan

And that leaving out Conway, Dom Ryan, Berquist, Fitzgerald who have to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

WeeBushy wrote: »
    It does appear gloomy on the injury front, but despite that we go into the 6N as league leaders and a home 1/4 final in the HC. We survived during the WC with a pretty bad injury list as well, so I think we'll be OK.

Just on Berquist - think its a bit unfair to call him a dud, he looked good during the few games he did play before picking up a nasty injury. Should hopefully be back soon and will provide a bit more cover. Think I remember when he was signed that he can play 12 as well, would be nice to have the extra options if needed.

A team like this is still entriely possible and ain't half bad:

15. Nacewa
    14. D. Kearney
    13. O'Malley (lets be real - he ain't being picked under Deccie)
    12. McFadden/Macken/(don't see McF being involed in every 6N match so might be around for a few games.
    11. Carr
    10. Madigan
    9. Boss/Cooney
    8. A'Auva
    7. Ruddock
    6. McL
    5. Toner
    4. Browne
    3. Van der Merwe/McGrath
    2. Strauss
    1. White/Hagan

And that leaving out Conway, Dom Ryan, Berquist, Fitzgerald who have to come back.

Macken was very poor in his last showing for the senior side - did a lot of hand flapping and little else, hopefully conway's injuries aren't serious - he's been unluck with injury as well

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

any news on Healy? seen he hobbled off in the leinster montpellier game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Kayless wrote: »
    any news on Healy? seen he hobbled off in the leinster montpellier game

Running around no bother in a picture of the Ireland training session on front of Times sports section today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

chancer12 wrote: »
    Macken was very poor in his last showing for the senior side - did a lot of hand flapping and little else, hopefully conway's injuries aren't serious - he's been unluck with injury as well

The Connacht game and the conditions were hardly the opportunity for him to show what he can do.

He was very good for Leinster A at the weekend and scored a couple of tries; he's a serious talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

People were saying how good Gilsenan was in the A game and what a prospect he is. Will he be likely to get much gametime during the 6 Nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Reminder to Season Ticket holders that you can now purchase tickets for the HC QF, Currently you are only allowed get the same seat you were sitting in for the bath game.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

The Connacht game and the conditions were hardly the opportunity for him to show what he can do.

He was very good for Leinster A at the weekend and scored a couple of tries; he's a serious talent.

Yes, I think he's good at 'A' level but has to develop yet. Of the two, Conway has far greater potential

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tox56 wrote: »
    People were saying how good Gilsenan was in the A game and what a prospect he is. Will he be likely to get much gametime during the 6 Nations?
    I doubt it. I takes some special for a forward to get any gametime in his first year out of school.

Also I expect only SOB and Heaslip (from the backrow) to be missing from the Leinster team for the six nations leaving Joe to pick four from Rhys Ruddock, Kev McLaughlin, Shane Jenings, Leo Auva, Dom Ryan (who should be fit soon). Not to mention players like Ben Marshall and Jordi Murphy.

Whats more I expect Gilsenan to be heavily involved and starting for the Ireland U20s through the 6 nations.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. I takes some special for a forward to get any gametime in his first year out of school.

Also I expect only SOB and Heaslip (from the backrow) to be missing from the Leinster team for the six nations leaving Joe to pick four from Rhys Ruddock, Kev McLaughlin, Shane Jenings, Leo Auva, Dom Ryan (who should be fit soon). Not to mention players like Ben Marshall and Jordi Murphy.

Whats more I expect Gilsenan to be heavily involved and starting for the Ireland U20s through the 6 nations.

I would agree with that. Murphy played, and wasn't showed up, in a couple of games during the WC when we were heavily hit with injuries. I would imagine he's still ahead of Gilsenan if either are needed to play.

But with a probable 5 back rows available we should be fine in that department. I forgot about Jennings in my original team.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Reminder to Season Ticket holders that you can now purchase tickets for the HC QF, Currently you are only allowed get the same seat you were sitting in for the bath game.

And when will they be available for those of us who live too far away to justify a season ticket.

And when will they be available for those of us who live too far away to justify a season ticket.

10am, Friday 3rd February.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/tickets/9312.php

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Don't think well see gilsenan this season or next season tbh. He's going to be very important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When are they on sale to us serfs/former STHs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

10am on Friday the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'm an STH but I'm not buying the shyte ticket they want me to buy on the lower east on the touch line.
    Im going to take my chances with the public sale.

I know a couple of others with the same plan.

ST holders don't do that well when we move to aviva.

It will only just sell out, so at various times there will be plenty of chances to get the ticket you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Brad Thorn for Leinster????

http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/leinster-line-up-thorn/
    Leinster have lined up Brad Thorn as a potential solution to their issues at second row. I understand they have already sounded out the IRFU about the chances of bringing the World Cup winner in on a short term deal. No official approach has been made because they would have to secure his release from Japan first.

Thorn is currently playing there for Fukoaka Sanix Blues but their league season wraps up next week – when the All Black will celebrate his 37th birthday – leaving him free to give Leinster a dig out for a few months if the club agree.

Leinster’s cover at second row is currently a bit thin after the curtain finally came down on the Steven Sykes saga this week. He returned to South Africa on Monday without the fanfare that had greeted his arrival last summer. For a variety of reasons his recruitment was a disaster – playing just four games.

Add in Leo Cullen’s surgery for his ongoing Achilles trouble and suddenly the European champions are one injury away from a crisis. Consider that they never replaced Nathan Hines – well, they tried, with Sykes – and with Cullen out of the frame until close to the Heineken Cup knockouts, providing he rehabs successfully, it changes the heart of their pack.

That leaves Damien Browne as their only tight head lock, with Devin Toner beside him, and Kevin McLoughlin offering an option that Joe Schmidt doesn’t use very often. Mark Flanagan is coming through well from the Academy but he too is a loose head scrummager, and at 6’3” Ciaran Ruddock is short of inches.

Adding Thorn to the equation would change the complexion of things, and he could be added to the ERC roster as an extra player. He was the go-to man for the ABs for much of his 59 cap career, the prototype grunt who provided the physical presence that is the building block for any successful pack.

Thorn was hugely popular with the Aussie league fans, where he carved out his first and hugely successful career with the Brisbane Broncos, and their Kiwi counterparts when he moved back to New Zealand and the Crusaders.

His generous post-match interviews after losing the Super 15 final to the Queensland Reds last season explain why people have so much time for him. Let’s see if Leinster can have more luck with this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

I would absolutely love it if we get our hands on him!

I know he's thirty seven, but hopefully still plenty left in the tank for a Heineken Cup! Imagine he'd love the intensity of HEC rugby too. Really hope this deal comes together!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Brad Thorn, wow. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, I think he'd be a great addition to the squad but I was looking forward to seeing more of Flanagan in the next couple of weeks. I'd imagine Toner won't be involved with Ireland so between him, Browne, Flanagan and McLaughlin for emergency cover, we'll be OK.

Still, if Cullen's recovery is delayed, he'd be a useful man to have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement