Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

"It's purely speculation," said a Leinster spokesperson. "We are looking at players in that position at the moment, but we do not comment on specific targets."

Leinster have disyanced themselves from it a bit.

Thinking about it, Leinster are really tied. They wont get anyone from the Super XV or anyone under contract here in Europe. That leaves them to those guys running out of contract in Japan (I'm guessing that must be the only pro league finishing up around now) or guys in the UBL. Don't think the list is going to be very big.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I interpreted the 'purely speculation' bit as confirmation that they are in negotiations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

durkadurka wrote: »
    I interpreted the 'purely speculation' bit as confirmation that they are in negotiations!

Don't bother. They aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

JustinDee wrote: »

What happened to stopping at 4000 posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I interpeted that quote as we've sent a feeler letter to 20-30 different locks and while he may be one of them we don't know what is going to happen yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think we should sign Robbie Keane tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

tolosenc wrote: »

Got sucked into a debate on another subject.

JustinDee wrote: »

Are you saying that noone from the leinster branch has been in contact with Brad Thorn at all?

tolosenc wrote: »

ah play nice, we need Justin around ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Leinster have disyanced themselves from it a bit.

Thinking about it, Leinster are really tied. They wont get anyone from the Super XV or anyone under contract here in Europe. That leaves them to those guys running out of contract in Japan (I'm guessing that must be the only pro league finishing up around now) or guys in the UBL. Don't think the list is going to be very big.

Players in Russia have a break around now, afaik too, you'd think there'd be some decent locks out there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd rather look at taking a lock from the AIL. Could get a few years out of him at a fraction of the cost.

Leo Auva'a is the type of guy you can pull out of the league. Not spectacular, but very useful squad player that can do a job in PRO12 and add strength to A team if needed, as well as being of a decent quality cover for Heineken Cup, if needed.

I don't doubt that Leinster have trawled through the league several times for second rows, but I find it hard to believe that there's not one good quality lock out there!

Failing that, give Ollie a call, he's got to know someone who can do a job and is willing to come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully the problem was high lighted last year with the route 6"6' drive which pretty much showed the lack of depth Leinster have in that position

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Realistically the only players who would be available now are ones in their off season. The Super XV kicks off in a few weeks so the only players available from down south would be Currie Cup and ITM Cup players i.e. the level below Super XV. Considering it's Summer down there these players won't be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'd rather look at taking a lock from the AIL. Could get a few years out of him at a fraction of the cost.

Leo Auva'a is the type of guy you can pull out of the league. Not spectacular, but very useful squad player that can do a job in PRO12 and add strength to A team if needed, as well as being of a decent quality cover for Heineken Cup, if needed.

I don't doubt that Leinster have trawled through the league several times for second rows, but I find it hard to believe that there's not one good quality lock out there!

Failing that, give Ollie a call, he's got to know someone who can do a job and is willing to come over.

Auva'a had been playing with the As already though so they knew what he was capable of. We're in a position now where we have Browne (a decent player but not HEC winning standard) and Toner. Then we have Flanagan, C Ruddock and Neilus Keogh (looked good for the As at the weekend) from the Academy with Kev who could do a job if we're stuck.

There's no experienced and real dogged second row in that lot up to the HEC standard. We would be 100% dependent on Cullen coming back and being up to it. And there's no guarantee there. I think we really could use a short term signing. Remember we're technically down 2 locks now with both Sykes and Leo gone.

Browne is certainly up to heineken standard.

Himself and Toner are fine, the standard drops off significantly after that though.

Have been more than impressed with Browne this season. Guy fit in seamlessly.

Yeah Browne has been superb. People seemed to dismiss him early on, but I felt he's been a really good addition. Himself and Toner aren't a spectacular pairing, and McLoughlin for whatever reason hasn't seemed to impress in second row, and Flanagan is a good prospect, but at 22 / 23, he doesn't have a massive amount of game time, and he still needs another good stone of bulk to put on.

The more we look at it, we do need someone, it's a very difficult situation on who to sign or to try and convert and beyond Browne and Toner, as mentioned, we're fairly stuck.

I am confident of Cullen coming back though, I think it's been the plan all along to get him treated now and ready for knock outs, and just need to trust the professionals judgement to do their job and have him ready.

We're definitely signing someone though. That's pretty clear from the paper thin denial about persuing Thorn.

I'd just rather we find a long time solution to this asap. I think after this season, no matter what happens, we need a world class NIE long term signing in the second row. And I think it was a big mistake not to make sure we got adequet cover for Hines leaving, and we're really feeling that now.

If we did sign a NIE lock though, that would give us maybe 3 years to produce 2 HEC winning quality locks, and the talent just isn't there at the moment. :/ Highlights the stupidity of it really, which means we'll need to go after Caldwell and / or negotiate with Munster, where they have good prospects at lock, and probably lose someone like Dom Ryan or Ruddock in exchange....maybe even, god forbid, if Keatley keeps playing the way he is, Madigan!! :eek: This is the type of situation we're left in with this IRFU plan...

Under the new system I can't see Munster needing a 2nd Row so Leinster and Ulster will probably both end up with one.

Ah I'd say we'll get one of the second row NIE spots no problem, the only problem is that once that players sees out their one contract (max about 3 years I'd say), then you can't resign them or sign another second row for x number of seasons, or that's my understanding of it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

How long is Ryan Caldwell contracted for? He would be a great addition and coming into his prime (28) for his position.

Edit : Just seen its not up until Summer 2013 !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ah I'd say we'll get one of the second row NIE spots no problem, the only problem is that once that players sees out their one contract (max about 3 years I'd say), then you can't resign them or sign another second row for x number of seasons, or that's my understanding of it anyway.

Sign a 4 for three years... Then sign a 5 for the following three ;)

I've no issue at all with Browne. I think he's been very solid. But how comfortable would people be with a Browne/Toner second row in a HEC final against Munster, Ulster or Toulouse should we get there and be missing Leo?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I've no issue at all with Browne. I think he's been very solid. But how comfortable would people be with a Browne/Toner second row in a HEC final against Munster, Ulster or Toulouse should we get there and be missing Leo?
    Considering Leos form this year I don't think there'd be a major difference. The only area id consider us weaker would be our leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The only area id consider us weaker would be our leadership.

Actually this would be the area I would be most concerned with if we were missing Leo especially with BOD out aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be very comfortable, thing I would not be comfortable is have Flanagan/McLaughlin on the bench covering the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Actually this would be the area I would be most concerned with if we were missing Leo especially with BOD out aswell.

Yeah, big step up for Heaslip then...

I'd be very comfortable, thing I would not be comfortable is have Flanagan/McLaughlin on the bench covering the second row.

Fair enough so. We'll agree to differ on the starting pairing, but that bench would be a worry all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ah I think there is enough leadership there for it to be grand. A lot of the interviews you see from the lads they are always harping on about how there is a lot of leadership within the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Will Flanagan get more game time in the league if we need cover with more experience then? I understand he needs bulking up, but he's definitely got bags of potential. Near man of the match performance in the b&i quarter final last week ..

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Will Flanagan get more game time in the league if we need cover with more experience then? I understand he needs bulking up, but he's definitely got bags of potential. Near man of the match performance in the b&i quarter final last week ..

Did you think? I actually thought Keogh was the better of the two. Both look like good prospects either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement