Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

This is just priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You'd swear Munster kidnap Leinster players, stuff them into vans without license plates, and drive them down to Munster by reading the above!

If a player is out of contract, how in god's name is he "poached"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I think Ruddock just wants game time, he wants first team rugby and as far as I can remember he said this was his make or break year with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Clegg wrote: »
    I think this image suggests that Ruddock may be off to Munster. I'd be disappointed if thats the case. Munster should develop their own Irish players instead of poaching.

Not for me it doesn't. More like the Munster boys giving him a ragging about the rumours. Like your ma and aunties referring to every female friend of yours as your girlfriend.

Also, if that "M" gesture with the fingers ever becomes a thing, Munster Rugby should be disbanded.

lol Jackass

• Advertisement

gcgirl wrote: »
    I think Ruddock just wants game time, he wants first team rugby and as far as I can remember he said this was his make or break year with Leinster

16 appearances (10 starts) in 19 games is quite a lot of gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

You'd swear Munster kidnap Leinster players, stuff them into vans without license plates, and drive them down to Munster by reading the above!

Don't forget that those players are owned by Leinster. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

tolosenc wrote: »

16 appearances (10 starts) in 19 games is quite a lot of gametime.
    But if you want to play to your highest level the heineken cup is apart from test rugby the highest goal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's how John Hayes is such a loss. His farm is also known as "The Farm", where prospective players are brought to be indoctrinated to the Munster way using whatever method necessary.
    :pac:

Realistically though I don't get the XYZ province stole XYZ player. Look at the players who left Leinster to go to Munster:
    Kieran Lewis - I was a big fan but being behind BOD and Darcy in the centre, and Horgan and Hickie on the wing for so long was never going to work. As a pro player he needed gametime at a higher level than what he was getting. I was sad to hear he later retired.
    Niall Ronan - The back row at Leinster was always competitive. Starting 17 games over 4 seasons and none in the HEC showed where he was at at Leinster.
    Felix Jones - When he looked up the pecking order he saw Nacewa and Kearney. In many ways he'd have been mad to stay at Leinster.

They all have very valid reasons and if they'd stayed at Leinster their careers would have stagnated. Best of luck to them is what I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Exactly. It aint hurting Leinster so by all means, if the player wants to go, have him. Ruddock has a lot of potential and I'd love to see him stay in blue, but if he goes to Munster it's not a massive loss. We've loads of cover un that area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Had this conversation as few times with mates and we all came to same agreement. Some of the Leinster players should go to Munster to help Irish rugby. Example Fionn Carr should of went to Munster. He was close to IRish squad last year. This year is no where near it until injury's bring him into contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

CatFromHue wrote: »

They all have very valid reasons and if they'd stayed at Leinster their careers would have stagnated. Best of luck to them is what I say.

agreed - but Ruddock doesnt fall into that category. They were all (possible exception of jones, but leinsters back 3 options were insane at the time) second rate players who could (indeed do) do a job for munster but were never likely to break into the Leinster team.

Ruddock on the other hand looks ahead and sees 3 starting spots and 1 bench spot in the HEC XXIII. He is (we hope) developing into a world class player. Even assuming no injuries and that Heaslip and SOB are set in stone for the next 4 years (huge assumptions!) there are still 2 spots for Ruddock, Jennings, Ryan and Locky. If Ruddock genuinely can be world class, he needs to be in the top 2 of that group of 4!

Also from an Irish rugby perspective I'd be loathe to see Ruddock go to Munster. Better for him to spend his time training with, playing with and competing against for a jearaey with some of the best backrowers in the word (objectively speaking SOB ERC player of the year, Heaslip nominated for irb world player of the year) than being handed a starting place in an aging munster team and playing / training alongside Ronan and Coughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Had this conversation as few times with mates and we all came to same agreement. Some of the Leinster players should go to Munster to help Irish rugby. Example Fionn Carr should of went to Munster. He was close to IRish squad last year. This year is no where near it until injury's bring him into contention.

Don't agree with that. Some Leinster players should go to Munster if they want to go to Munster, that's that. Besides, if were talking about helping Irish rugby, then Connacht is the club that needs players. Munster are "grown-up" enough to produce/buy their own talent. They don't need our help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You can only do so much training though. At the end of the day you learn so much more when you play at a higher level.

I don't think he'd be handed a jersey down in Munster either. Currently they have for next season Leamy, Ronan, Coughlan, Wallace, TOD, and Butler looking for back row spots.

But if you want to play to your highest level the heineken cup is apart from test rugby the highest goal

But if he wants to win things, he'll stay put. He has 4 Heineken Cup caps this season with 1 try. He's 21, and I feel he's being impatient.

Though moving to Munster would increase his Ireland prospects greatly under the current management.

But if he wants to win things, he'll stay put. He has 4 Heineken Cup caps this season with 1 try. He's 21, and I feel he's being impatient.

Though moving to Munster would increase his Ireland prospects greatly under the current management.

Winning things is great but if you're not involved in the big games you don't feel you deserved the medals.

Take last season Ruddock started 9 and subbed on in another 7 Magners games out of 22 regular season games. You could say he was involved in 73% of the regular season games. He wasn't involved in the Semi or the Final though. I don't know if he got a medal or anything but while the team came second he may not feel he contributed enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Winning things is great but if you're not involved in the big games you don't feel you deserved the medals.

Take last season Ruddock started 9 and subbed on in another 7 Magners games out of 22 regular season games. You could say he was involved in 73% of the regular season games. He wasn't involved in the Semi or the Final though. I don't know if he got a medal or anything but while the team came second he may not feel he contributed enough.
    Last year... When he was 20!

Ambition is not a dirty word!

I'm sure Ruddock is fairly aware of Donnacha Ryan's progress. He would have had a similar season to what Ruddock had last season in 07/08. It's only now, 3 full season later, that Ryan has become first choice second row.

I'm sure Ruddock is fairly aware of Donnacha Ryan's progress. He would have had a similar season to what Ruddock had last season in 07/08. It's only now, 3 full season later, that Ryan has become first choice second row.
    And at the start of that season Ryan was 24. At the start of last season Ruddock was 19!

Ruddock is getting loads of rugby when you look at it.

The more I think about it the more I don't think it'd be worth his while leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That is a terrible argument.

Ryan was 24/25 when he had hs breakthrough season and it still took him another 3 years to cement his role as 1st choice.

• Advertisement

And at the start of that season Ryan was 24. At the start of last season Ruddock was 19!

Ruddock is getting loads of rugby when you look at it.

The more I think about it the more I don't think it'd be worth his while leaving.

I agree he is very young and it would be a massive decision for him to make to leave.

He may wait to see what his involvement in the Munster Pro12 and the Cardiff HEC game are before making his decision.

Our first 3 games of the season were against Ospreys, Dragons, and Glasgow and he started all of them. In the first two he was at 8 with Ryan and McLaughlin at 6 and 7. He was subbed off in both of these games. The Glasgow game was the only one of the three that he finished and in this game Auva and Ryan had to be stretchered off. That will play on his mind alot when he thinks of where he stands in the Leinster pecking order.

Clegg wrote: »
    That is a terrible argument.

Ryan was 24/25 when he had hs breakthrough season and it still took him another 3 years to cement his role as 1st choice.

Ryan was a late starter to the game from what I've read.

My argument is that it took Ryan another 3 years to become first choice. Ruddock will have noticed this and it may influence his decision whether to stay or to go. He may not want to wait 3 years before he gets to start the important games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

players have such short careers i can't begrudge them trying to maximise their playing time/money/ambitions/etc.

They just need to make sure they don't bad mouth their former team/team-mates/fans/coaches..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Looks like a good move to me. Leinster will have some fantastic backrow talent coming through in the next few years (Gilsenan, Ryan, murphy, coghlan, Conan, and a few very highly rated schools players) while a lot of the Munster backrowers getting on a bit. Munster and Ireland will benefit while I don't think it will affect Leinster significantly. He should go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's Leinster v Munster in the b&i semi final!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Moving to Munster from Leinster is hardly "ambition", if anything, it's lack thereof

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »

Rematch at Croker? :D

I'm delighted it's on the same weekend as the QF. I'm flying home for that so I'll be able to attend an A game for the first time this season!

We'd better win it... :/

durkadurka wrote: »

Damn, was hoping to see Leinster beat Munster in 3 finals in one month... Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Alright, with all due respect, I suppose a history lesson is in order here.

There was a time when Munster could very credibly, and without argument, call themselves the best team in Ireland (and later Europe), but this was also the post-Matt Williams era, and around the Declan Kidney era (:mad:) when Leinster were in bits, and in a very short space of time, amongst MANY others, lost players like Cullen, Brennan & Casey (three second rows) and Jennings (back-row) and signed a couple of Munster players as squad cover, i.e. Stephen Keogh (back-row) and Trevor Hogan (second-row).

Stephen Keogh had about a season in the Leinster team before Heaslip emerged and has been a solid part of the Leinster first team, at 28, for the last 6/7 years.

Hogan featured in and out of the team up until about 2008, but was always a squad player. These were players more or less "released" by Munster, who Leinster took on, do to the shortage of players (and remember, most of this period was pre-academy days).

As history has shown, Leinster academy first came through around the 2006 season and by 2008 we won the league with a lot of academy players, particularly guys like Sexton, Fitzgerald & Kearney starring. This was the beggining of the Leinster renaissance, and all fueled by the academy.

Since then, to name but a few, we've produced international quality players (in terms of senior and A caps) such as Healy, Hagan, Toner, O'Brien, Heaslip, Ruddock, Ryan, McLoughlin, Ronan, Sexton, Madigan, Keatley, McFadden, O'Malley, Fitzgerald, Carr, Rob & Dave Kearney, Conway, Felix Jones etc. etc. without naming the ones who haven't been recognised at international level yet...

Now, if you were to measure this against a munster list of young, international quality players produced in the last, circa 5 years, it would be a hell of a lot shorter, and if you were to look at all the junior representitive teams and who are the most promising players at every level, Leinsters numbers consistantly double Munsters, at least....

So when I say Munster are sniffing around like a dirty old man, I'm not saying they're throwing people in the back of vans, but whilst Leinster are producing all of these players, Munster are trying to live off the scraps of the Leinster academy..

Example being the well documented expelling of Felix Jones, because he was "tapped up" behind closed doors, without any knowledge of Leinster of the IRFU, by Munster, who promised him first team rugby if he signs with Munster and doesn't take his senior contract with Leinster..he looks at the recent Lions tour including the likes of Fitz and Kearney, and guys like Horgan and Dempsey flying at the time, and the signing of Nacewa etc., and he looks at Munster and sees Dowling and Hurley....and it makes an easy decision for it, but Munster were slippy little scumbags about it, and did it on the sly...and hence the reason Jones was expelled from Leinster training for his last 6 months as a Leinster player...

And Luke Fitzgerald was made the exact same promise by Munster, EXCEPT, Luke's father told Leinster of the offer and demanded a senior contract from Leinster or they'll send him to Munster, hence the reason Luke was never in the Leinster academy and was playing Magners rugby by 18, which doesn't usually happen, despite the massively obvious talent, they usually give them a year or two in the academy no matter what...another sly move by Munster...

Now look at Ruddock...an embarresed photo of him with Munster players giving the thumbs up and a "M" (for Munster) Limerick style gang sign (lol :rolleyes: munster) being throw up in the middle, which appears to suggest another behind closed doors poaching. Basically, Poaching = a team producing nothing, and playing crap academy players, looking at Leinsters NEXT generation, who won't get game time now, and contacting them in international camp, and / or on the sly, and doing a deal with them behind closed doors and without knowledge of Leinster or IRFU, which the player is entitled to seek employment elsewhere, but Munster make promises of first team rugby because whilst they need to work in Leinster, Munster would kill to have them in their team today, and instead of developing players, are skipping a generation of established players, and trying to nab the next generation of Leinster players by fast tracking them now, because Munster have nothing to offer, and the player wants to play now, rather than earn it, but going to a team that is desperate to find players from anywhere.... Downey is also signing as the Munster answer to 12, nuff said. Next season Munster will have 2 home grown players in their back line (assuming they want to phase out O'Gara), which is Earls and Murray (who's rubbish) and perhaps 6 local first choice in pack (MAX - and half that international quality), and more than half the "Munster" team will be non-Munster players....

It's desperation and it's poaching.... nothing I said is false, and feel free to name JJ Halloran (or whatever his name is) and Danny Barnes as evidence otherwise, and it'll just make the argument comical. Munster are sniping, and Foley is trying to fix a hugely limited number of players with his knowledge, and hence the back to old Munster game plan recently of negative rugby played by limited rugby players, desperately trying to sign anyone, and Kidney calling them all up to Ireland, getting expert coaching and knowledge passed on to them...and it's working, fair enough, but in my opinion, Munster have come back from the brink of absolute collapse as a club to holding on, but they're still only a major player by their finger nails, and whilst Leinster can cope with the loss of some players, but for Munster these are major major signings, and how long can this go on? Leinster have regressed slightly this season, but for the most part are getting better and better every year and will for the forseable future....Munster are and will be living off scraps and past players and the over 40's such as O'Gara for the foreseable future.
    lol Jackass

two-thumbs-up-tm.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement