Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

MungBean wrote: »
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    His contract expires at the end of next season iirc.

After which he wont be allowed to re-sign with the new NIQ players rules nor will Leinster be allowed to sign another NIQ FB for four years.

Or have I got that all wrong?
    Think he can resign, it would be the next deal that will be affected. So he could well finish his career with leinstr if he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

After which he wont be allowed to re-sign with the new NIQ players rules nor will Leinster be allowed to sign another NIQ FB for four years.

I'm not sure where you got the four years part, but otherwise you're right, they won't be allowed keep him once his contract expires.

Ulster got Pienaar to sign an extension before the rules kicked in, hopefully Leinster can do the same with Nacewa.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm not sure where you got the four years part, but otherwise you're right, they won't be allowed keep him once his contract expires.

Ulster got Pienaar to sign an extension before the rules kicked in, hopefully Leinster can do the same with Nacewa.

Hopefully.

The IRFU, really are stuck in a timewarp aren't they? Watching the little thing on Tony Ward the other day and the farce around his selection (or lack of) reminded me of how not much has changed.

All political. This is all coming from the heat they were receiving from NZ and probably the IRB behind closed doors... You can be it has little or nothing to do with improving indigenous young players.

Hagz wrote: »
    Fitz and Conway won't be in contention for the Scarlets match as both are taking part in a 10 day conditioning programme to prepare them for the Glasgow match. Dippy should be ready to return though!

TBH at this stage are we gonna see them back this season? Different excuse every week...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Can Leinster determine the length of Isa's contract or will the IRFU meddle in that too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

.ak wrote: »
    TBH at this stage are we gonna see them back this season? Different excuse every week...

I think the way they've mentioned that they're preparing them for the Glasgow match means that they are serious about getting them back that game. I feel so bad for Fitz and Conway. One was in the form of his life and the other is the brightest young player in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

as a utility player Nacewa can be re-designated when resigning, ie resigned primarily as an 11/14

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If (knock on wood this doesn't happen) Isa does have to leave, we need to see to it that he impregnates as many women as is humanly possible before he departs.

(let's see... 3 a day for a year and a half, maybe taking match days off... 1,500?)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If (knock on wood this doesn't happen) Isa does have to leave, we need to see to it that he impregnates as many women as is humanly possible before he departs.

(let's see... 3 a day for a year and a half, maybe taking match days off... 500?)
    If anyone can do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Any further word on Thorn? Wouldn't expect him to sign until next week, but all seems to have gone quiet on that front...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Has bod got a little sister or something that he could give a dart to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

durkadurka wrote: »

Would said conception not be a case of the unstoppable ball-carrier meeting the impenetrable defensive line, so to speak?

That was a disturbing post until i figured out Nacewa had a part to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just curious as to the mention of Jack McGrath on the RTE highlights of the Treviso game saying that "He got offers from England and France, but turned them down..."

Anyone know anything about this?

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Just curious as to the mention of Jack McGrath on the RTE highlights of the Treviso game saying that "He got offers from England and France, but turned them down..."

Yeah, thought that was odd alright. Heard nothing of it before.

Also, for anone going on to the player, check out Strauss's tackle with 13:55 or so on the clock, just after Nacewa knocked on. Absolute class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Don't know anything but my opinion is that, like Madigan, he'd be crazy to leave right now. He has a nice stable environment in which to develop; and are there better coaches with whom a young prop could work than Gibbs and Feek?

I imagine next year he'll get quite a few Pro12 matches, and if he stays in Ireland he has little enough competition to get into the international squad (with due respect to fans of Wilkinson and McAlister).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a long while. Any word Leo Cullen's operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a long while. Any word Leo Cullen's operation?

I'm trying to understand why you're connecting Leo to that gag?
    You're not suggesting we breed Leo are you? Jesus the girls would have to be pretty drunk.

Oh I know what it is. You're thinking about when he nearly lost a bollock and with it breeding capability!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hadn't heard of that before either. He'd be mad to go imo, especially with the new laws being brought in.

Also heard them say that Ruddock turned down Munster. Delighted with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

tolosenc wrote: »
    Any further word on Thorn? Wouldn't expect him to sign until next week, but all seems to have gone quiet on that front...

Expect it to be confirmed in the next week. Fine print being discussed.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Expect it to be confirmed in the next week. Fine print being discussed.

Hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paulcarson

Thorn is going to be a brilliant signing for lenister. It is exactly what we need.I think our second row is average so i am glad we signed a world class second row.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah it's great that it's looking like Thorn is coming now, I really wish we had just held on to Hines though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Will be very excited if the Thorn signing comes through - easily the team's weakest area. Schmidt is really going to have to scout out a good signing for the summer though. Cullen is on the way out and while Flanagan has looked decent in his few outings it took Toner a long time to develop into the lock he is today and he could be a few seasons away yet. He's not the biggest either - something that holds true for all the academy locks actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Cullen & Thorn, with Browne / Toner in reserve has a much better ring to it come the knock-outs, we need that signing.

I was a bit cautious at first, but lets face reality, if we're going to be contenders for a double / treble, and to defend the HEC, we need a big performer and a hell of a lot more grunt in the engine room for the scrum....

Could be season defing....but medium term still a massive problem...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be very unhappy if Thorn arriving resulted in Toner dropping out of squads. I can't see him being behind Browne at any rate. I'd be reasonably unhappy with him dropping out of the first team even though that seems almost inevitable.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd be very unhappy if Thorn arriving resulted in Toner dropping out of squads. I can't see him being behind Browne at any rate. I'd be reasonably unhappy with him dropping out of the first team even though that seems almost inevitable.

Can't see anyone being 'dropped' really. You know how Schmidt is, he'll rotate depending on the type of game we play. I'd imagine Thorn will start most if he starts at all, with Toner and Browne being rotated and one our lengthy backrowers covering on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Sexton is still miles ahead of him though, but then, as I mentioned before, I think Sexton will be the starting 10 for the Lions.

Not if Kidney gets the Lions Coaching job. :mad:

Podge_irl wrote: »

I don't see Toner being dropped. With Cullen gone, Toner's will be our main line-out man. Browne has been a great grunt man this season, but Thorn is a WC winning grunt man. Thorn and Toner for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

With Cullen being gone I'd expect Toner to start I kind of think that Toner could get ahead of Leo before he gets back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement