Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

About Nacewa being the best player in Europe. I think he certainly is one of the most talented but his performances this season haven't been as good as last year and I think Sexton has been better. In fact, going simply on form, I'd have Heaslip ahead of him too. And I'd say there are a couple of others from other teams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

GerM wrote: »
    I think they'll find a work around for Nacewa. He's a utility back. They'll designate him across a new position to give him another contract and the IRFU will bow to some serious pressure from both Leinster and the public.

I don't know how willing they would be, it would make a complete mockery of the whole system, and set a precedent for other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well, he was signed as a fly-half. Why not just offer him another contract there? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't know how willing they would be, it would make a complete mockery of the whole system, and set a precedent for other players.

If by "they" you mean the IRFU, then yeah, it's hard to see how they could square it but I think we've already seen cracks appearing, e.g. Pienaar signing a contract extension beyond the implementation date of the new directives. I think if Leinster can continue to bring through Irish guys in most positions, as they have been doing, and get to the point where they only have maybe three NIQs, it will strengthen their hand.

Without wanting to reopen the NIQ debate all over again, I think it's massively unfair on a guy like Nacewa who set up home here only to be turfed out when he no longer fits the IRFU's idea of what is needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think they've already come out and said that you can re-sign a utility player in a different position. Regardless I can't see them forcing Nacewa out of Leinster. It's the Nacewa's of the future that I'd be worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Is the interview with Isa online yet?

Edit: Nevermind found it! Todays Sport show part 1 11 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not really Leinster related but Nacewa mentioned that the NPC is going towards semi professional rugby. I reckon that that will cause problems for NZ keeping their high standards up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not really Leinster related but Nacewa mentioned that the NPC is going towards semi professional rugby. I reckon that that will cause problems for NZ keeping their high standards up

I like the NPC/ITM Cup but when you watch it and look in the crowd there is very few people there. Then when you multiply 14 teams by 30 players you've got a big wage bill which is pretty much being funded by the All Blacks. In saying that I don't think the ITM players get paid very well, relatively speaking.

I think Otago RFU had some pretty serious financial issues last season. Then you have the earthquakes in Christchurch it all starts to add up.

It'll be interesting to see what happens all right as the ITM is a great place for young up and coming players to get experience as the All Blacks don't play in it. It's at a good level too, you could argue it would be at Pro12 level. Simply put Ian Nagle and Donnacha Ryan would have plenty of experience as opposed to waiting around for games that POC and DOC don't play in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think they'll find a work around for Nacewa. He's a utility back. They'll designate him across a new position to give him another contract and the IRFU will bow to some serious pressure from both Leinster and the public.

What pressure can the public put on the IRFU to keep any NIQ player in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

phog wrote: »

Riot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Hagz wrote: »
    Riot.

If this isn't a serious enough issue to get people out on the streets then I don't know what is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Petition, get a few thousand signatures threatening to boycott games and you'd see them scramble quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fireball07 wrote: »
    About Nacewa being the best player in Europe. I think he certainly is one of the most talented but his performances this season haven't been as good as last year and I think Sexton has been better. In fact, going simply on form, I'd have Heaslip ahead of him too. And I'd say there are a couple of others from other teams too.

I would say his influence has been at it's greatest when the internationals have been away. Kearney has been in really really good form this season at fullback, which is Nacewa's best position too, and he doesn't seem to be as influential on the wing. He's been outstanding at fullback in some of the games Kearney hasn't played in. But probably not the best player in Europe this season, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

I would go as far as to say that Nacewa is one of the most important people in Irish rugby at the moment.

Surley wrote: »
    If this isn't a serious enough issue to get people out on the streets then I don't know what is

Not turning this into a political thread but when people haven't taken to the streets for health cuts, extra taxes, etc I seriously doubt you'd get a huge cowd to walk to Lansdowne road.

MungBean wrote: »
    Petition, get a few thousand signatures threatening to boycott games and you'd see them scramble quick enough.

Who would that effect most, the IRFU or the Leinster team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Nacewa is a massive crowd favourite. There's no doubt that if he was to leave people would be less inclined to go to games, buy jerseys etc. The IRFU are not ignorant to public opinion as they showed when the public reaction led to them slashing ticket prices. The comments in the Nacewa interview today showed just how highly he is held in people's esteem. None of that will be lost on them.

Death threats.
    Public lynching.
    Shave Isa's head and pretend he's a new signing.

These are just off the top of my head, we'll keep him somehow.

Who would that effect most, the IRFU or the Leinster team?

Leinster; the professional team that represent the Leinster branch of the IRFU.

Nacewa is a massive crowd favourite. There's no doubt that if he was to leave people would be less inclined to go to games, buy jerseys etc. The IRFU are not ignorant to public opinion as they showed when the public reaction led to them slashing ticket prices. The comments in the Nacewa interview today showed just how highly he is held in people's esteem. None of that will be lost on them.

Come on Ger, you're not seriously suggesting that supporters will stop buying the merchandise and attending games if Leinster continue to be successful but without Isa? But even if they do, that hurts Leinster more than the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

By the time the rules are enforced, Isa Nacewa can sign a new contract for 2/3 years and that will take him to retirement. A 3 year deal starting in 2013/14 will take him up past his 35th birthday.

He might talk up on the issue though, given that he is probably the highest profile NIQ in Ireland, he might feel he has to.

• Advertisement

By the time the rules are enforced, Isa Nacewa can sign a new contract for 2/3 years and that will take him to retirement. A 3 year deal starting in 2013/14 will take him up past his 35th birthday.

He might talk up on the issue though, given that he is probably the highest profile NIQ in Ireland, he might feel he has to.

Oh well that sorts that. No need for the riots so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The IRFU have done plenty to piss off fans in recent years, for example the 2010 AIs ticketing debacle and giving Kidney a new contract. I would imagine they'll be doing everything they can to not piss off fans further. I'd agree with GerM that something will be sorted out for Nacewa. It was great to hear him saying he'd have no interest in going somewhere else.

Come on Ger, you're not seriously suggesting that supporters will stop buying the merchandise and attending games if Leinster continue to be successful but without Isa? But even if they do, that hurts Leinster more than the IRFU.

Nope. But Leinster fans might not bother their arses going to Ireland games. There's already a shift developing where a number of people are starting to give their province their number one vote. IRFU forcing things upon the provinces and they'll disenchant these supporters even more. There were Italy tickets still on sale up until the last few days despite being available for slashed prices. Start mucking around with the provinces when they're at their most successful ever to benefit the national side will push fans to the provinces and away from the national side. How would Munster fans have reacted if the IRFU turned around and told them to get rid of Dougie two years ago?

I would be very surprised if the IRFU didn't allow Nacewa to stay under a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fans will flock to see Ireland when (IF!) they start winning again, the NIQ issue doesn't resonate with casual fans, as much as the media are hoping it will. Also there are plenty of people who go to Ireland games socially. Success and status creates far more demand for tickets than provincial politics could ever restrict. The 2010 AIs were affected by economics far more than the NIQ issue will ever affect ticket sales.

And when Irish rugby benefits from the NIQ restrictions down the line, as it has up to now, that will be even more so the case, and fans will forget all about it.

danthefan wrote: »
    The IRFU have done plenty to piss off fans in recent years, for example the 2010 AIs ticketing debacle and giving Kidney a new contract. I would imagine they'll be doing everything they can to not piss off fans further. I'd agree with GerM that something will be sorted out for Nacewa. It was great to hear him saying he'd have no interest in going somewhere else.
    Nope. But Leinster fans might not bother their arses going to Ireland games. There's already a shift developing where a number of people are starting to give their province their number one vote. IRFU forcing things upon the provinces and they'll disenchant these supporters even more. There were Italy tickets still on sale up until the last few days despite being available for slashed prices. Start mucking around with the provinces when they're at their most successful ever to benefit the national side will push fans to the provinces and away from the national side. How would Munster fans have reacted if the IRFU turned around and told them to get rid of Dougie two years ago?

I would be very surprised if the IRFU didn't allow Nacewa to stay under a technicality.

There might be reasons why Isa's contract will be renewed and one already posted is that his contract will be due for renewal beofre the the new rules come into effect but I doubt any of those reasons will be because the IRFU are afraid of the Leinster fans.

There are some supporters of the Irish team that would seldom go to a provincial game, they'd be club supporters more so than the province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Is the interview with Isa online yet?

Edit: Nevermind found it! Todays Sport show part 1 11 mins in

Link please??? too lazy to look...haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Link please??? too lazy to look...haha
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/47224/sunday/1/popup

about 11 minutes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Hagz wrote: »
    Death threats.
    Public lynching.
    Shave Isa's head and pretend he's a new signing.

Hey on a completely unrelated issue, did you guys hear of this up and coming player? from FijiFoxrock?

Yeah his name... it's... ehhh.... Isan Nacllewat.. yes... Ian Nallet... that will do ;)

He could be a player... not a young man, late to rugby.... so it would seem...

Just copped on there that Leinster are on a streak 18 games unbeaten, pretty cool. I've jinxed it now though, expect us to lose in Firhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'd say Glasgow will be marginal favourites in firhill.

No room for trying out a few new guys. We should send out the best 15 we can muster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement