Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

durkadurka wrote: »
    I'd say Glasgow will be marginal favourites in firhill.

No room for trying out a few new guys. We should send out the best 15 we can muster.

The 18-game streak was mentioned in Nacewa's interview yesterday (well worth listen, btw), and it was Glasgow who were the last team to beat us, in the RDS as well, plus we struggled to beat them at Firhill in the HC, so no, I wouldn't be anyway confident on Saturday.

Still, a team of:
    Nacewa
    D Kearney (assuming he won't be needed for Ireland duty)
    EOM (likewise)
    Macken
    Carr (or Luke if fit)
    Madigan
    Boss
    VDM
    Strauss
    Hagan/White
    Browne
    Toner
    Kev
    Jennings
    Ruddock

should expect to be very competitive against any team, plus we should have more depth in the squad than Glasgow once the internationals are stripped out. It'll be close, very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Thought Conway and Fitz were to be available for Glasgow ... hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd go with

1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Browne
    5. Toner
    6. KvM
    7. Jennings
    8. Ruddock
    9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Fitz
    12. Macken
    13. EOM
    14. Kearney / Carr
    15. Nacewa

16. Dundon
    17. McGrath
    18. White
    19. Ryan
    20. Auva'a
    21. Cooney
    22. Reid
    23. Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If Fitz is fit then I would like to see him at 12. That gets our best players on the pitch together. Only issue is whether playing slightly out of position after being injured for so long is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

The squad update out today mentions that Fitz is stepping up his rehabilitation and is in contention. Decision will be made on Friday.
    Very vague again, probably another week or so away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

All depends on how many guys are releasesd from Ireland.

Itll be a tough match no matter what.

I suspect they want to put one over us.

Anyone any ideas how many players they are missing to Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

ongarite wrote: »
    The squad update out today mentions that Fitz is stepping up his rehabilitation and is in contention. Decision will be made on Friday.
    Very vague again, probably another week or so away.

I wont believe a thing about fitz till I see him playing. He's been one week away for two months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd go with

1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Browne
    5. Toner
    6. KvM
    7. Jennings
    8. Ruddock
    9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Fitz
    12. Macken
    13. EOM
    14. Kearney / Carr
    15. Nacewa

16. Dundon
    17. McGrath
    18. White
    19. Ryan
    20. Auva'a
    21. Cooney
    22. Reid
    23. Conway

I'd +1 that. We'll need all the strength upfront as we can manage. I thought Boss had a great game when he came on against them in the HC. It'll be his sort of game.

Reading the between the lines in the squad update, we might see Collie at 12 again. Which leaves the qustion who's at 13? Surely EOM if he's released, but if not we'll probably see Collie and Macken there again... Which whilst I'm very confident in their potential, I'd hate the see the likes of Troy Nathan running lines at them.

Speaking of which, what kind of Glasgow side can we expect if we take away their internationals?

We could be very thin if DK decides to take EOM and Kearney (and possibly Jennings) back into Ireland camp, but I would imagine that he won't, Kearney is the only one that's any way likely.

If we see Fitzgerald, I think it will be off the bench, but if they have to wait until Friday to make a call, he's obviously not 100% and I wouldn't be optimistic about him playing at all.

• Advertisement

Probably a similar team to the one the put out against Scarlets.

15.Peter Murchie 14.Tommy Seymour 13.Troy Nathan 12.Graeme Morrison 11.David Lemi 10.Ruaridh Jackson 9.Henry Pyrgos 8.Ryan Wilson 7.Chris Fusaro 6.Rob Harley 5.Tom Ryder 4.Rob Verbakel 3.Jon Welsh 2.Dougie Hall 1.Ryan Grant.

If that is the team they'll send out, we should get on the front foot in the pack. With a HC standard pack you'd expect us to have the upper-hand. But the backs may struggle if Joe goes with Collie and Macken. I Like the two of them in attack, they both impressed the last time they paired together, but Morrison and Nathan will be a greater test than Treviso's midfield.

Yep, and even in attack they [Macken and Collie] will be doing well to find any space at Firhill.

Also, unrelated, but kinda surprised there hasn't been an official announcement yet on Thorn? Although if my maths is correct they'll probably leave it til next monday to confirm any signing in order to take the short-term 3 month deal to the last weekend of May?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    Yep, and even in attack they [Macken and Collie] will be doing well to find any space at Firhill.

Also, unrelated, but kinda surprised there hasn't been an official announcement yet on Thorn? Although if my maths is correct they'll probably leave it til next monday to confirm any signing in order to take the short-term 3 month deal to the last weekend of May?
    I think they said March.

I think they said March.

I heard Schmidt say early march, but you'd think there'd be something more official or more news about it. Or maybe it's just me, being eager ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

They're probably waiting until they actually know when he's arriving before making an official announcement.

"Leinster are delighted to announce the signing of Brad Thorn. The World Cup winning All Black will arrive in, emmmm, errrrr, soon."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

durkadurka wrote: »
    I wont believe a thing about fitz till I see him playing. He's been one week away for two months now.

On the sports bulletin on the radio they said it was hoped that Luke Fitz would return to training this week. Still very vague.

I saw him at the Treviso game walking along and he didn't seem to have anything wrong with him so I wonder what exactly it is. Of course he was just strolling along so it wasn't an intense fitness test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Michael Corcoran tweeted saying that Nathan White is moving from Leinster to Connacht at the end of the season

conf101 wrote: »
    Michael Corcoran tweeted saying that Nathan White is moving from Leinster to Connacht at the end of the season

That's a sensational deal for Connacht if true

edit: it is - http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2012022082764/nathan-white-to-join-connacht

Wow, that's massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

That's the best deal in Irish rugby so far this season. He'll be 32 years old and Irish qualified. Connacht were fairly happy to sign him I'm sure and the IRFU get another option at tighthead if required. Fair play to White for making the most of a late chance in his career to grasp an opportunity. Hopefully he continues to play to the same standard he has so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

conf101 wrote: »

Very good for Connacht, we owe them a lot after pillaging them last summer. White is an excellent player, but he isn't able to last 80 minutes. The signing of White should really improve their scrummaging.

Only problem is that now I have to pick a new favourite player for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Delighted for Connacht. I am wondering two things.

1. Did Leinster have a move to re-sign him blocked? If no, this is a big vote of confidence in Hagan. If yes, it is the IRFU doing the job that their new dictat will be doing in future.

2. Will Leinster attempt to sign another TH for next season or just put faith in Shawe/academy to be 3rd choice?

Very interesting. But primarilly I am delighted for Connacht to have signed such a talented TH (should be starting for Leinster really) and for White to be getting the first team rugby he deserves.

Now Nathan, let's have you lift that Heineken Cup so that you can stay at the level you deserve next season.

PS It's a good thing he didn't sign for Munster or else this post would be about how terrible he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Delighted for Connacht. I am wondering two things.

1. Did Leinster have a move to re-sign him blocked? If no, this is a big vote of confidence in Hagan. If yes, it is the IRFU doing the job that their new dictat will be doing in future.

2. Will Leinster attempt to sign another TH for next season or just put faith in Shawe/academy to be 3rd choice?

Very interesting. But primarilly I am delighted for Connacht to have signed such a talented TH (should be starting for Leinster really) and for White to be getting the first team rugby he deserves.

Now Nathan, let's have you lift that Heineken Cup so that you can stay at the level you deserve next season.

PS It's a good thing he didn't sign for Munster or else this post would be about how terrible he is.

That's a good point, wonder if he will play a significant part in the knockouts, he will have some great motivation.

What are the chances of us losing one of Reddan or Boss. Both are out of contract this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What are the chances of us losing one of Reddan or Boss. Both are out of contract this year.

They're just keeping the jersey warm until the messiah is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Leinster would want both to stay, and both seem happy with their place in the team/squad. I'd be surprised to see either go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clegg wrote: »
    They're just keeping the jersey warm until the messiah is ready.

Who is?..Luke McGrath?..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Who is?..Luke McGrath?..

Yep.

He's been very impressive in the games I've seen him play.

It's probably too early to say he'll make it at Leinster but I'm on the hype train anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I agree with you although people have been critical of his passing. But that can be worked on.

• Advertisement

I'm disappointed with White leaving but I'm glad it will mean more game time for Irish props next year and in fairness to Schmidt, he's been bringing Hagan more and more into the fold lately.

A great signing for Connacht, he is a HC-level player who still has a good few years in him. Interesting to hear Nacewa talking yesterday about how the NPC in NZ is going semipro, I guess going home is becoming less of an attraction for guys like White.

Does this mean that Leinster have only one NIQ confirmed for next season, with Sykes, Berquist and White shipping out, Strauss becoming IQ and van der Merwe out of contract and yet to re-sign? Gives us scope to go shopping... but I do hope that VDM stays on for another year or two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement