Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

profitius wrote: »
    During a match the other day the commentator said that English and French clubs were looking at him.

Wouldn't be overly surprised if that was a line fed to them by the guy's agent though. English and French teams appear to be looking at every single Irish player at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Wouldn't be overly surprised if that was a line fed to them by the guy's agent though. English and French teams appear to be looking at every single Irish player at this point.

could be good for him the few years in england did mike ross the world of good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

He's looks a quality player in what can be a troublesome position and wouldnt cost the world either, I'd say there'd be quite a few takers. Look at Tim Ryan, had feck all games for Munster, not a great scrummager and was picked up by Toulon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

profitius wrote: »
    During a match the other day the commentator said that English and French clubs were looking at him.

Which match, just out of interest? I'd trust some commentators more than others.

IMO he'd be mad to leave. With the NIQ rules, VDM has a year left at most (Leinster won't bend over backwards to keep him like they will Nacewa), and while McGrath might get a deal with one of the less high-profile English/French clubs but he'd be sacrificing an environment at Leinster which has been very successful in bringing young guys through to the highest level. Also he gets to work with Greg Feek on a daily basis, he'd be doing well to replicate that elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

nerd69 wrote: »
    if hes determined to leave keep him in ireland munster need props if a position opens up at leinester hes going to want to return and play for his home team its win win

Say what? Where did you get that he was determined to leave? I've only heard (on against the head) that he turned down foreign contracts because he was happy where he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Which match, just out of interest? I'd trust some commentators more than others.

RTE said in Treviso match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

McGrath is 22. The notion of him leaving the HEC champions due to not getting enough games at prop when he's 22 is madness. Regardless, he's only coming to the end of year 1 of a 2 year deal so he's going nowhere. He's going to get significantly more game time in the next year and, at the start of 2013/14, could be ready to give Healy a challenge. The RTE comments were rubbish.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7054.php
    Cian Healy played against Toulouse at McGraths age (younger?) And was absolutely fine.

Healy was butchered the first time he ever started against Toulouse at 22 and was hauled off after 30 minutes although a good portion of the problems were on the tighthead side. He was destroyed by Clermont in the QF a few weeks earler. He also struggled significantly last season in the SF against Toulouse. The series of scrums at the start of the second half where Toulouse scored their try was well on the way to being a penalty try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I know I have asked a few times but what is current word on Shaggy? would love to see him back.....was listening to Isa interview and going on about Shaggy before games against Munster....what about HC Cup Final and Shaggy able to play?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    McGrath is 22. The notion of him leaving the HEC champions due to not getting enough games at prop when he's 22 is madness. Regardless, he's only coming to the end of year 1 of a 2 year deal so he's going nowhere. He's going to get significantly more game time in the next year and, at the start of 2013/14, could be ready to give Healy a challenge. The RTE comments were rubbish.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7054.php
    Cian Healy played against Toulouse at McGraths age (younger?) And was absolutely fine.

Healy was butchered the first time he ever started against Toulouse at 22 and was hauled off after 30 minutes although a good portion of the problems were on the tighthead side. He was destroyed by Clermont in the QF a few weeks earler. He also struggled significantly last season in the SF against Toulouse. The series of scrums at the start of the second half where Toulouse scored their try was well on the way to being a penalty try.
    Healy was a dodgy scrummager though at all levels. McGrath is far better than him at that aspect of his game. Also Healy played off the bench against Toulouse in 07 and was fine.

I'm not saying McGrath should be starting, but to say he is not ready for H Cup is just 100% wrong given other players who have played at that level. McGrath is going far better at senior level than Healy was when he was integrated.

VDM should be kept as a 3rd choice, that is all. He's not good enough for us to allow him to hold back an Irish player who is captaining our B&I team to great success and outplaying VDM at RPD12 level. I am hugely grateful for what VDM gave us last year, but he hasn't been as good this year, especially in the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

VDM should be kept as a 3rd choice, that is all. He's not good enough for us to allow him to hold back an Irish player who is captaining our B&I team to great success and outplaying VDM at RPD12 level. I am hugely grateful for what VDM gave us last year, but he hasn't been as good this year, especially in the scrum.
    I'm not sure VDM would be interested in being 3rd choice. I would let VDM go and sign someone who can cover both sides of scrum. He doesn't have to be a world beater just someone who can compete on either side and would be pushing McGrath/Hagan for a spot on the HEC bench if either falls out of form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Healy's scrummaging was ok, definitely needed work, but you have to keep in mind that we were really stuck for any loose head option after the departure of Corrigan and badly needed to produce something. Plus, Healy was a freak show around the park with his pace, carries and work at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

We're getting waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves here on McGrath!

According to the Leinster site, this season McGrath has started two matches and both against mediocre opposition (Scarlets and Connacht - no offence Connacht fans :)). Against good teams, he has played a total of 34 minutes this season and all as substitute (Ospreys and Ulster).

There is nowhere near enough evidence to suggest whether he is ready to face Toulouse or Clermont next season. When Schmidt, Gibbs, and Feek think he's ready for regular Pro 12 then he'll get his games. HEC is clearly a step up from Pro 12 so until he regularly proves himself at Pro 12 he can't be considered ready for Heineken Cup IMO.

We've been very lucky to avoid front row injuries this year but, given the prospect of injuries and given McGrath remains unproven then we need VDM next season IMO. It's up to McGrath to outperform VDM in training and in matches when he does have the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just watching the interview with Guy on LTV. Interesting how he mentions Shaggy being out... Not exactly off the radar then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ambid wrote: »
    We're getting waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves here on McGrath!

According to the Leinster site, this season McGrath has started two matches and both against mediocre opposition (Scarlets and Connacht - no offence Connacht fans :)). Against good teams, he has played a total of 34 minutes this season and all as substitute (Ospreys and Ulster).

There is nowhere near enough evidence to suggest whether he is ready to face Toulouse or Clermont next season. When Schmidt, Gibbs, and Feek think he's ready for regular Pro 12 then he'll get his games. HEC is clearly a step up from Pro 12 so until he regularly proves himself at Pro 12 he can't be considered ready for Heineken Cup IMO.

We've been very lucky to avoid front row injuries this year but, given the prospect of injuries and given McGrath remains unproven then we need VDM next season IMO. It's up to McGrath to outperform VDM in training and in matches when he does have the chance.

Agreed. Next season should be his "step-up" season. Keep VDM on a 1-year primarily as a bench option for both the HEC and Pro12. Start Healy in the HEC and McGrath as much as possible in the Pro12. If he does well then maybe give him a bench spot in 1 or 2 of the later HEC pool games. Assuming he proves himself we can let VDM go at the end of next season and McGrath can take his place. Rinse and repeat for Furlong or O'Connell or whoever is coming through from the Academy at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Careful Now

MADIGAN = GODIGAN

Did someone say before that the porterhouse in covent garden shows matches on TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Did someone say before that the porterhouse in covent garden shows matches on TG4?
    I believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

yeah they do, announced here by olsc
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Leinster-Supporters-Club/196189359637

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

think that was me. I got it from the Leinster suppoters club facebook page, It is meant to the London base for the supporters club but I'm not sure if they show every match or not especially on a weekend with so much sport on

Excellent cheers lads. Have to fly to london on short notice. I can make camp in the porterhouse for the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

I presume the Leinster team will be announced for the Glasgow game this afternoon?
    Are they leaving it late incase some of the extended Irish squad get released back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: David Kearney
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Colm O'Shea
    11: Fionn Carr
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Nathan White
    4: Damian Browne
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Dominic Ryan
    7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
    8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Jamie Hagan
    19: Devin Toner
    20: Jordi Murphy
    21: John Cooney
    22: Eoin O'Malley
    23: Andrew Conway

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/9551.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Thats a seriously young bench there

Interesting team. Young lads given a shot on centre again. Not sure it's gonna be strong enough to win away to a good Glasgow team. Though they're prob hit more with international call ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Good to see Flanagan starting at 5;

Flanagan gets a game from the off.

Dominic Ryan gets the "utility back row" spot at 6. Something we don't particularly want imo! Unless we're playing with two opensides and Leo covering all else..

Centre's get a chance to show themselves off again, and we've got a beast of a front row and Nacewa at the back to tidy things up if needs be.

Cool team.

Surprise surprise still no Fitzy. Honestly don't see him coming back this season... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

.ak wrote: »
    Surprise surprise still no Fitzy. Honestly don't see him coming back this season... :(

Yes, and Conway's back .. on the bench! Hope to see him get a little of the action, rate him much higher than Carr.

Luke's injury seems v mysterious with the weekly update saying 'next week' every week?

What happens if (touch wood) Madigan takes a knock?

Who plays 10?

edit: obviously Nacewa, panic over

• Advertisement

Yeah well Conway would defo not be starting a game as physical as this after such a long lay off. Hope he has a good game off the bench... He was looking seriously good in the pre-season games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement