Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Last time they announced a match on for London based fans, it was dicey rileys, which has no tvs!

Porterhouse has a big screen etc. though so at least should put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

chancer12 wrote: »
    Yes, and Conway's back .. on the bench! Hope to see him get a little of the action, rate him much higher than Carr.

Luke's injury seems v mysterious with the weekly update saying 'next week' every week?

I'm really concerned at this stage, we had a similar 'next week' every week with POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

leftleg wrote: »
    Thats a seriously young bench there
    I half expect Murphy to lose his spot on the bench when Ruddock is released at the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

I'm really concerned at this stage, we had a similar 'next week' every week with POC.

and look at how POC turned out....seriously lets hope its just a preventative extra week and hell be right as rain the week after or maybe the week after the week after or maybe the ..... oh wait a sec!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

ruadhri murphy came on as a sub prop for the brumbies in the super 15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Reminds me of D'Arcy's injury too, when he was out for about 16 months...

All though, someone in the know over on Leinsterfans did say he would be out for the rest of the season many weeks ago, so it seems he may well be given time off. He had a long lay off about a year ago too, hope it can be sorted. It's in the interest to keep some injuries secret in case it is a weakness that can be exploited, but I think Fitz has a problem that's still not sorted and needs more attention...

Hopefully wrong on that and he'll be back in a couple of weeks, but will probably be getting an op by the summer. Might be behind lay off from Ireland too whilst in form...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Should be back in ten days according to a family member. Which means the Aironi game. Doesn't seem to be any real worry of it being serious anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Reminds me of D'Arcy's injury too, when he was out for about 16 months...

Darce was back playing the same year he broke the arm. Legends and stories mutate over time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Squad update for Aironi game:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9554.php
    Most positive news about Fitz, he could play maybe!!

Also Aviva is nearly a sell-out for the QF, 46,000 tickets sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ongarite wrote: »

I'd love to see Berquist get a few runs before the end of the season too, poor baxtard was seriously unlucky. I think Madigan will still be the main backup to Jonny but no harm having another guy there who can do a job (ref: HC semi-final 2010).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ongarite wrote: »

Fitz seemed genuinely optimistic about next week when talking on the beeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

If we have Fitz and Berquist back for a relatively low profile trip to Aironi it will be a great chance to give them a run out.
    We'll once again be stuck for players in second row and centre so they could both add their presence there.

There's two weeks off after for the likes of Toner to get a breather.

Any win this week will mean a very successful 6 Nations section of the campaign.
    It will take the pressure off Munster and Ulster away. We'll probably only need to win at home to Embra, Ospreys and maybe Dragons away to get number one seeding.

Lose at the weekend, and Munster could be right on top of us and the match in Thomond could be a crunch game.

Dragons won at Aironi yesterday so they must be seriously weakened by internationals - maybe they'll have some of them back next week, While Leinster won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

durkadurka wrote: »
    If we have Fitz and Berquist back for a relatively low profile trip to Aironi it will be a great chance to give them a run out.
    We'll once again be stuck for players in second row and centre so they could both add their presence there.

There's two weeks off after for the likes of Toner to get a breather.

Any win this week will mean a very successful 6 Nations section of the campaign.
    It will take the pressure off Munster and Ulster away. We'll probably only need to win at home to Embra, Ospreys and maybe Dragons away to get number one seeding.

Lose at the weekend, and Munster could be right on top of us and the match in Thomond could be a crunch game.

Dragons won at Aironi yesterday so they must be seriously weakened by internationals - maybe they'll have some of them back next week, While Leinster won't.

Good post, but I hope we're not that stuck :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Eh, you neglected to bold the words 'and centre'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

McGrath Strauss Hagan
    Toner Flanagan/Browne
    McLaughlin Ruddock Ryan
    Boss Madigan
    Berquist EOM
    Carr Nacewa Kearney

Replacements Dundon VDM White Browne/Flanagan Jennings Cooney Macken Fitzgerald

My team for Aironi above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

durkadurka wrote: »
    Eh, you neglected to bold the words 'and centre'!!!

When I first read it, it looked like you were saying they could cover second row!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why not? Fitzy's a fine jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Anyone else feel that the scrum struggled a fair bit when Hagan came on v Glasgow.

I've had my issues with VDM this season, but I thought Hagan definitely came off second best on the night, which is concerning considering that he's the great hope at tight head.

He's done well in some games, but he's had a couple of shockers (I would consider his scrum performance at the weekend a shocker) and with White leaving and any notions of phasing out Ross, this could quickly become a big problem area for us, especially considering the inability to sign a NIE tight head. He got pinged a couple of times (iirc) including his very first scrum, with a Leinster put in, but fair enough it was his first involvement, but from there after I felt that we were trying to hook the ball back on our own feed as quickly as possible for Auva'a to pick off the base and get rid of it before we got demolished in the front row on our own put in. Very worrying imo.

I agree to start him against Aironi though, we need to give him as much game time as possible. I wouldn't lose Stewart Maguires number though, as we have to focus on one tighthead, and obviously far too early to call (Maguire not getting much time at Connacht and Hagan only getting his chance now at Leinster) but the scrum and front row has been a constant cause of concern for me for about a year now. I think the impact of Ross has deminished significantly (he's a holding tight head rather than a go forward one), I don't think VDM is a good scruammager, I think Hagan is struggling big time, I think Healy has improved a lot, and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves on past reputation in the scrum and a weak tight side imo, and I actually think White was our best 3 by far, who's just signed for Connacht.... probably a forced move, but watch this space.

I am in favour of giving McGrath game time too. To be honest, I think he should be getting half a game in all of these, as he's done well and we need him to be an option going forward too. Although I suspect, rightly or wrongly, my concerns over VDM aren't shared among the masses, and when paired with Hagan I think our scrum is a real weak point. I'd like to see Hagan get time with Healy, and McGrath get time with White.

Hagan's 24. He won't be a decent scrummager against top sides for atleast another year or two under a decent coach imo. I won't be holding my breath for him for a while. Which is why I think we'll need to be fighting our corner to get a couple of decent NIQ props to sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

.ak wrote: »
    Hagan's 24. He won't be a decent scrummager against top sides for atleast another year or two under a decent coach imo. I won't be holding my breath for him for a while. Which is why I think we'll need to be fighting our corner to get a couple of decent NIQ props to sign on.

Buckley apologists were saying that for about 4 years before they copped on... I wouldn't hold my breathe with Hagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

padraig.od wrote: »
    Buckley apologists were saying that for about 4 years before they copped on... I wouldn't hold my breathe with Hagan.

Hagan has shown he can actually scrum, and has held his own against decent scrums, he just isn't doing it all the time against all scrums. He has only been at Leinster for a few months, and there are already signs of improvement. These flawed comparisons do nobody any good.

True. My point is he's hardly going to be sending Ross packing on his first season back with Leinster.

We're not talking about backs here - the job of the props has become to complex over the past few years that any player coming from a development team like Connacht will take a season or two to 'mature' and get up to speed.

I'm not 100% convinced by him either. But it would be nice if he did develop into the next big TH for Ireland. We can only wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Lucky we have Martin Moore and Furlong coming through the system so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

For the first couple of games of the season he was very good, to the extent that there was amazement at how he wasnt in NZ or at least had a chance to stake his claim. He's shown enough in my book to be given the benefit of the doubt, no point judging him until he gets a decent run of games, the game Saturday wouldnt have been the easiest to come on in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Tox56 wrote: »
    Hagan has shown he can actually scrum, and has held his own against decent scrums, he just isn't doing it all the time against all scrums. He has only been at Leinster for a few months, and there are already signs of improvement. These flawed comparisons do nobody any good.

Buckley had some great games for Ireland & Munster against decent opposition, he just couldn't hold up a scrum consistently. People only remember the awful ones.

I'm half kidding about Hagan, he is very young in propping terms, is picking up plenty of experience and should benefit from Feek's coaching and tips from Ross. Hopefully he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buckley had some great games for Ireland & Munster against decent opposition, he just couldn't hold up a scrum consistently. People only remember the awful ones.

I'm half kidding about Hagan, he is very young in propping terms, is picking up plenty of experience and should benefit from Feek's coaching and tips from Ross. Hopefully he makes it.

I'm sure, but I've watched him a few times for Sale recently, and he has been demolished in the scrum every time. In all the time he has had to learn and imrpove, he is still worse than Hagan is now.

When Buckley was Hagan's age, he had never even started a game. He was way too long in the tooth before he got any exposure. Hagan is 24 and is getting good exposure. He is definitely propping to a higher standard than Buckley was. He has been solid enough against some tough customers. A long way to go but he's improving and is working with some good coaches.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I've had my issues with VDM this season

I don't think VDM is a good scruammager,

when paired with Hagan I think our scrum is a real weak point..

I never understand the lack of appreciation for VDM. The bloke works his arse off and was our best player for me at the weekend. Scored a try, ran his heart out, hammered his opponent once or twice in the scrum earning penalties and was our top tackler including one or two absolute crunchers that led to turnovers. He is coming into great form just at the right time. Will be a massive loss when he leaves. I can only hope that he gets a one year deal and rotates heavily with McGrath next season to guide us through McGrath's development.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    [QUOTE='[Jackass];77314964']
    I've had my issues with VDM this season

I don't think VDM is a good scruammager,

when paired with Hagan I think our scrum is a real weak point..

I never understand the lack of appreciation for VDM. The bloke works his arse off and was our best player for me at the weekend. Scored a try, ran his heart out, hammered his opponent once or twice in the scrum earning penalties and was our top tackler including one or two absolute crunchers that led to turnovers. He is coming into great form just at the right time. Will be a massive loss when he leaves. I can only hope that he gets a one year deal and rotates heavily with McGrath next season to guide us through McGrath's development.[/Quote]
    I agree he was good this weekend. Our MOTM.

He's been poor this season though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

From what I could see at the match the Glasgow loose-head was doing a damn fine job of dragging Hagan down. He didn't so much bind on the jersey as he did pull and drag it downwards. He'd been doing the same to White. I wouldn't get too worried yet. He did fairly well against Montpellier I thought and hopefully will come good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement