Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

It's a bit crazy the depth leinster have in the back row.

McLaughlin, O'Brien, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, Heaslip and Auv'a on senior contracts.

Murphy, Marshall, Gilsenan, Coughlan in the academy and Jack Conan in the sub academy.

Mad strength in depth. Just wish a couple of them were second rows.

its a pity Mick Kearney chose to go to connacht, he's a great 2nd row

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

It's a bit crazy the depth leinster have in the back row.

McLaughlin, O'Brien, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, Heaslip and Auv'a on senior contracts.

Murphy, Marshall, Gilsenan, Coughlan in the academy and Jack Conan in the sub academy.

Mad strength in depth. Just wish a couple of them were second rows.

Plus Dan Leavy next season and Harrison Brewer the year after who both have the potential to be the best of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Plus Dan Leavy next season and Harrison Brewer the year after who both have the potential to be the best of the lot.

Was Brewer not playing at outside centre this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

WeeBushy wrote: »

Yeah he was but that was because the 'Nure captain was playing his position. He should be back at eight next season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah but I think he played 8 for the Leinster U18 schools this season

• Advertisement

Odd that he moved to 13 rather than one of the other back row positions. He was quiet enough at centre during the cup I thought. He's a big lad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nice to see schools using players out of position. Works in other countries at youth level but seems to be frowned upon here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Edit, wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

.ak wrote: »
    Nice to see schools using players out of position. Works in other countries at youth level but seems to be frowned upon here.

We should be doing what they do in NZ regards weight classifications of players. Big lads needn't automatically be given a single digit on their back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

tolosenc wrote: »
    We should be doing what they do in NZ regards weight classifications of players. Big lads needn't automatically be given a single digit on their back.

And small lads shouldn't automatically be given a double digit. I've found that some of the smaller lads would make good sevens particularly re: turnovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I agree. It might get us over the problems we have with our tiny centres

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

durkadurka wrote: »
    I agree. It might get us over the problems we have with our tiny centres

Not necessarily, I'd rather BOD at 13 than 7, where he could just have easily have ended up with this sort of system!

I do agree with the principle, but not with having big centres for sake of having big centres.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, I'd rather BOD at 13 than 7, where he could just have easily have ended up with this sort of system!

I do agree with the principle, but not with having big centres for sake of having big centres.

Absolutely but all I really mean is that when you have a big guy you don't automatically put him in the forwards.

I remember that day in first year where everyone was lined up and their position was decided!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Matt Banahan comes to mind big centre but from what little i have seem of him he has little skill

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Matt Banahan comes to mind big centre but from what little i have seem of him he has little skill
    Was a second row for most of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Was a second row for most of his life.

didnt know that might explain some of his poor handling/ball skills??? prob should have stayed as a second row.

Just watched the video on Leinster TV about Academy life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLwE8xrj8Zw&feature=plcp&context=C41d54a2VDvjVQa1PpcFO5Mkjcce9auHyF8aR7VHAiWAQpzLCkDqQ%3D

Its positive to see the academy taking on a rounded development of the players. Its great that they realise attitudes off the pitch affect performance on the pitch as much as training.

The two lads Doyle and Hudson came across very well, they seem to have their priorities straight. Also when Hudson talked about his first Leinster cap it really showed how much playing for Leinster means to these guys. That not something you can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

durkadurka wrote: »
    Absolutely but all I really mean is that when you have a big guy you don't automatically put him in the forwards.

I remember that day in first year where everyone was lined up and their position was decided!

You've got to be kidding?! :eek:

ambid wrote: »

Only kind of. I didn't play to any decent level but it was bleeding obvious who the props were!

And the soft soccer players were the backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

ambid wrote: »

5th Class in the primary school of a notable south Dublin private school - I was an out-half for the Bs.

Summer before 6th Class I had a growth spurt, the new coach put me in 2nd row, I was dropped to the Es (yep, Es), and that was essentially the end of my rugby career, as I never got out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Leinster are being very tightlipped about signings for next season - any whispers??

geekington wrote: »
    Leinster are being very tightlipped about signings for next season - any whispers??

don't need any!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

geekington wrote: »

If I remember right they usually are.

It'll be interesting to see if we bring in anyone on one year deals to replace Sykes/Thorn and Berquist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

As a few people had asked about the availability of alcohol at the B&I semi final on good Friday I sent off an email to Leinster and got the below responce that the bars will be open
    Justsomebloke,

Thank you for your email and interest in Leinster Rugby.

The British & Irish (B&I) Cup semi-final against Munster is the RDS and will be played on Good Friday, 6th April (KO: 6pm)

The bars in the RDS will be open for the game

I would say for next season:

A second row is an almost certainty
    Resign Van der Merwe or another new prop (preferaby keep VdM)
    We might sign another 10/12.

I would be very surprised to see any other signings tbh. Wouldn't be surprised that surprised if the only signing we make is a 2nd row.

I would say for next season:

A second row is an almost certainty
    Resign Van der Merwe or another new prop (preferaby keep VdM)
    We might sign another 10/12.

I would be very surprised to see any other signings tbh. Wouldn't be surprised that surprised if the only signing we make is a 2nd row.

Noel Reid's time has come, and O'Shea's debut was a very solid affair. Would be happy to leave the slot to them, with D'Arcy tapering for a final season, and McFadden/ Fitz getting some time at 12 too.

Reid can play 10 quite well btw.

Noel Reid's time has come, and O'Shea's debut was a very solid affair. Would be happy to leave the slot to them, with D'Arcy tapering for a final season, and McFadden/ Fitz getting some time at 12 too.

Reid can play 10 quite well btw.

Yeah I would hope they put faith in the young guys as well. We haven't missed Berquist this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

World class second row is about all we need. Surely there's a French lad in the Top 14 or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

World class second row is about all we need. Surely there's a French lad in the Top 14 or something...

Or the premiership, playing for bath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

As a few people had asked about the availability of alcohol at the B&I semi final on good Friday I sent off an email to Leinster and got the below responce that the bars will be open

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerow!

That is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement