Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

leftleg wrote: »
    Or the premiership, playing for bath

I'd like that, solid and agressive - but dunno if Leinster would pay to break his contract, or indeed would he be willing to move, he's making quite the impact in Bath and is apparently a fan favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Such a shame that Richie Gray sliped through the net and went to Sale. He would have been some signing!

What about Charteris or Wyn Jones??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I would say for next season:
    Resign Van der Merwe or another new prop (preferaby keep VdM)
    I'd prefer to let VDM go and replace him with a solid prop (doesn't need to be world class or even very good just solid to good, picked out from NPC or Currie Cup) who can play both sides and slot in as third choice LH & third choice TH and trust McGrath Hagan as second choice LH and TH repectively
    geekington wrote: »
    Such a shame that Richie Gray sliped through the net and went to Sale. He would have been some signing!

I would prefer someone who would be available during the 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think well sign a world class second row.

I think Cullen will be slowly replaced by Toner. Then on the other side we'll have Browne and Flanagan. We need to add someone but I'm not sure it'll be a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As a few people had asked about the availability of alcohol at the B&I semi final on good Friday I sent off an email to Leinster and got the below responce that the bars will be open

Wahoo! Was beignning to wonder if I needed to slip a few tinnies into the bettter-halfs bag....
    Noel Reid's time has come, and O'Shea's debut was a very solid affair. Would be happy to leave the slot to them, with D'Arcy tapering for a final season, and McFadden/ Fitz getting some time at 12 too.

Reid can play 10 quite well btw.

Yeah, I reckon a second row and possibly a prop if we leave VDM go. Will McGrath be HEC standard next season? Or would he need another season getting plenty of game-time at Pro12? Hagan may feature for Ireland soon enough too so should we have a 3rd choice tight and loose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

geekington wrote: »

Toner is very similar to Charteris. You're really looking for a bruiser/enforcer type lock similar to Hines or Thorn. Cullen won't last forever either. I guess he'll play next year seeing as he had the achilles done. Can't see him playing for 2013/2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Toner + Gray would be the tallest second-row pairing in history.

But I agree with above, an enforcer type is what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Noel Reid's time has come, and O'Shea's debut was a very solid affair. Would be happy to leave the slot to them, with D'Arcy tapering for a final season, and McFadden/ Fitz getting some time at 12 too.

Reid can play 10 quite well btw.

With the way the game is going, Noel Reid is far too small to ever make it as a 12 although he could make a decent 10.

I would really like to see Darren Hudson at 12 though, hes strong, big, fast, has a good step and is far more suited to being a modern 12.

"The way the game is going" will last until a 12 in the mold of Reid/Hanrahan/Marshall or... Giteau! comes along and everyone remembers why a creative 12 is just as useful as a big ball carrier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"The way the game is going" will last until a 12 in the mold of Reid/Hanrahan/Marshall or... Giteau! comes along and everyone remembers why a creative 12 is just as useful as a big ball carrier.

Berrick Barnes or James O Connor are realistic options here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Reid may be more lightweight, but he's 6'1. He can bulk up and not be out of place. Considering our never-ending supply of 5'10 centres, Reid stands out as relatively big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

With the way the game is going, Noel Reid is far too small to ever make it as a 12 although he could make a decent 10.

I would really like to see Darren Hudson at 12 though, hes strong, big, fast, has a good step and is far more suited to being a modern 12.

Reid is 6ft and over 14 stone. He's 21 years old and will probably put on another half stone as his body continues to adjust and develop to being a full time rugby player. He's easily big enough and he's generally a very solid tackler.

He's basically the same size as Barrit and bigger than Fofana. The game isn't going any particular way. Teams will always play according to their best option whether that's Barrit, Reid, Fofana, Barnes, Wallace and Smith sized centres or Fourie, Nonu, Tuilagi type centres.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Reid may be more lightweight, but he's 6'1. He can bulk up and not be out of place. Considering our never-ending supply of 5'10 centres, Reid stands out as relatively big.
    Reid has bulked up this year I thought. I didn't notice until I saw him galloping away with that intercept.

I'm much more excited about his prospects now than I was when he was lording it at UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

keithob wrote: »
    will we win tonight??
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

keithob wrote: »
    will we win tonight??

BP win no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dave Pearson is ref for the Leinster/Cardiff game.

Bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

I don't think well sign a world class second row.

I think Cullen will be slowly replaced by Toner. Then on the other side we'll have Browne and Flanagan. We need to add someone but I'm not sure it'll be a big name.

theres a guy playing for La Rochelle david mcgowen that used to play for connacht a few years ago still only 26/27 according to his profile dont know how good/bad he is could be worth a look?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Clegg wrote: »

Bollix.

God hates us, it's official...

Bollix.

why is this bad?

In fact, it's almost certainly a bonus. He cares/knows little about what happens at the breakdown, somewhere where we're very good at being "cute" when we need to be.

Almost certainly good news for us tbh. He's not biased, just a bit blind.

Bollix.

why is this bad?

In fact, it's almost certainly a bonus. He cares/knows little about what happens at the breakdown, somewhere where we're very good at being "cute" when we need to be.

He's a massive home town ref as well. Very much in our favour. ESPECIALLY with Warburton out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

why is this bad?

I've seen him give penalties for perfectly legal stuff at the breakdown. I'm not saying he's a biased referee, just a poor one. I don't think he's very consistant in his rulings either. That could be a hindrance in the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

We did OK with him a few years ago Leinster v ASM Clermont Auvergne 2009/10 QUARTER-FINAL.................................

Just looking at the ERC ranking both Leinster and Toulouse are on 31 at the moment, but both will have their 2007/2008 points replaced with this years, assuming we do well it means we will drop our 2 points and Toulouse will drop there 9!

Should see us out in front by a bit (assuming all goes well in the next 2/3 matches)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thanos wrote: »
    We did OK with him a few years ago Leinster v ASM Clermont Auvergne 2009/10 QUARTER-FINAL.................................

No thanks to Wayne Barnes, who spent the entire match with his back to the game, laughing at the Clermont fans on the Grandstand touchline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Thanos wrote: »

Just looking at the ERC ranking both Leinster and Toulouse are on 31 at the moment, but both will have their 2007/2008 points replaced with this years, assuming we do well it means we will drop our 2 points and Toulouse will drop there 9!

Should see us out in front by a bit (assuming all goes well in the next 2/3 matches)

Leinster are already guaranteed 1st seed (not that it matters where you are in the top 6, but it's nice all the same!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Any word on how bad White's injury is? When is Ross due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

ed7890 wrote: »
    Any word on how bad White's injury is? When is Ross due back?

Bernard Jackman just said on Newstalk he expects Ross and probably White to be back for next week. He thinks Hagan has a broken rib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It looked liked White's injury was ear related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Not wanting to head into the Cardiff game on the back of 2 losses, I expect to see a relatively full strength team for next week. What does anyone else think?

Injuries permitting, I'd go for:

Healy
    Strauss
    White
    Cullen
    Thorn
    O'Brien
    Ryan
    Heaslip
    Reddan
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    McFadden
    O'Driscoll
    Nacewa
    R. Kearney

Cronin
    van der Merwe
    Ross
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Boss
    Madigan
    D. Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

I was at the game so haven't seen a good clear replay of either of the tmo given tries, what do you lads think of both tries? Wrong calls? And what about the last conversion? I would have thought that was outside the scoring zone of the posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I was at the game so haven't seen a good clear replay of either of the tmo given tries, what do you lads think of both tries? Wrong calls? And what about the last conversion? I would have thought that was outside the scoring zone of the posts?

Ospreys second try and conversion were good. Was I the only one who saw the forward pass in the build up to the 1st try?

I think van der Merwe scored. Others don't. What I think I saw was him ground it, bounce up, and then get held up. I reckon had that counted, we'd have gone on to win by about 15 points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement