Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

tolosenc wrote: »
    Ospreys second try and conversion were good. Was I the only one who saw the forward pass in the build up to the 1st try?

I think van der Merwe scored. Others don't. What I think I saw was him ground it, bounce up, and then get held up. I reckon had that counted, we'd have gone on to win by about 15 points.

How could the Ospreys conversion possibly have been good?

The ball must travel in between the two posts at the point of the try line, and if it hits the top of the post (which it did) it isn't physicaly possible for the ball to travel between the two posts, and even if it bounces inwards (as it did) it is behind the line by the point it is between the two posts...

The only way the ball could travel in between the posts and also hitting the top of a post is if it hits the top of the post, travels back toward the kicker somehow and then a massive gust of wind blows it back away from the kicker and between the posts...

Also, Van Der Merwe touched down his try, but on bouncing up from the impact hands get under the ball. In fairness, you can see it in the replays, but under intense scutiny, but Fitzgibbon (the most god awful ref I've ever witnessed, and I say this on every occasion, win, lose or draw), should have had a good enough view of it.

Having watched it back, I've never seen a ref so bullied an influenced by a team either, he gave a knock on a full 5 seconds after fitz had touched a ball (which in fairness was a knock on) and Isa was a good 15 or 20 yards away before he made the decision from 50 yards away with about 6 or 7 Ospreys players saying "knock on, knock on, knock on" ... if you have the game recorded, watch it back, it's in the lead up to O's second try...quite comical.

All in all though, I would class that defeat as an absolute mugging, and for 70 of the 80 minutes we were the better team, and not having uncontested scrums cost us the game. With 6 minutes on the clock, we were 6 points up with a 5 metre scrum, and 2 minutes and 2 scrums later we were standing underneath our own posts...

If we were due a howler of a defeat this season, I'm glad we got it out of the way know, and I hope we get the bit of luck we don't deserve when it matters having being mugged by it this weekend.

These things have a habbit of working themselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

tolosenc wrote: »
    Ospreys second try and conversion were good. Was I the only one who saw the forward pass in the build up to the 1st try?

I think van der Merwe scored. Others don't. What I think I saw was him ground it, bounce up, and then get held up. I reckon had that counted, we'd have gone on to win by about 15 points.

Yeah, that was a definite forward pass.

Agree with Jakass though, that conversion should never have been given, I have no idea what was going on the heads of the touch judges.

Oh well, the run had to end sometime and luckily it happened in the rabo, where we have a little wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The big calls for next week are:

Backrow: There are too many combinations to think of. Ryan looked well off the pace v Ospreys and Thomond isn't the place to get him match fit. I would put SOB at 6 with Jennings (if available) at 7 and Heaslip at 8. Problem is, Jennings hasn't looked great this season and McLaughlin has. I think SOB can do a job at 7, but I would so much prefer to see him wreak havoc at 6.

I think Joe will pick a 6, 7, 8 of McLaughlin, SOB and Heaslip. Even the bench spot is hard to pick, as Ruddock was excellent v Ospreys, but if you want to move SOB to 6 mid-match, you have to pick Jennings.

Bench Utility-Back:
    The choice between Carr, Conway and D Kearney looks to be locked up by Kearney, but there are options.

Second Row: I expect Cullen + Thorn with Toner on the bench. I do think Thorn would mix perfectly with Toner, but Cullen is too experienced and improved as the game went on v Ospreys.

Tight-Head:
    Between Ross and White, and although I expect Ross to get it, Joe will be able to assess their fitness levels and it all depends on that.

Rest of the team picks itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

when can i expect friday's game to be up on rte player? can i? ive had my head in the sand the last days and im gettin restless; am i waitin for nothin or what

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

19543261 wrote: »
    when can i expect friday's game to be up on rte player? can i? ive had my head in the sand the last days and im gettin restless; am i waitin for nothin or what

It's up there now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Team I'd like to see would be:

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Thorn, Cullen, McLaughlin, SOB, Heaslip;
    Boss, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Nacewa, Kearney
    Cronin, VDM, White, Browne, Ryan, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

Front row really picks itself. White might start if Ross isn't fit. Van De Merwe might start if they feel Healy needs more of a rest.

Second row is a bit of a no-brainer as well. Browne on the bench as I think we'll be looking for him later in the game to replace Thorn again rather than Toner to replace Cullen. I think we'll see Toner next week.

McLaughlin/SOB/Heaslip is by far our best back row this season. And in the lineouts with O'Connell out I'd expect Munster to go to DOC more and McLaughlin is more than capable of causing him problems at 2. I'd be very surprised to see a different back row. Ryan on the bench but it could just as easilly be Jennings. I think Jennings will be ahead of Ryan until the summer but it's very close.

Boss at halfback because he brings the control and brains that we'll need in Thomond for the first hour. Reddan to come on and add a bit of pace in the second half and hopefully open things up.

Backs are very simple to pick. Fitzgerald needs all the game time he can get to get himself back up to speed. Hopefully himself and Nacewa improve this week because they were both very poor last week. McFadden on the bench to offer a lot of options to change things if needs be.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Personally I think McFadden deserves to start 12 against Cardiff

He has vastly outperformed D'arcy at 12.

Higher wrote: »
    Personally I think McFadden deserves to start 12 against Cardiff

He has vastly outperformed D'arcy at 12.

D'Arcy had a couple of very good games at 12 in the Heineken Cup this season. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. Also with BOD back he's going to be freed up a lot more. I think we'll see more of the same from him (in the H Cup that is) solid with ball in hand and constantly working in defense.

D'Arcy had a couple of very good games at 12 in the Heineken Cup this season. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. Also with BOD back he's going to be freed up a lot more. I think we'll see more of the same from him (in the H Cup that is) solid with ball in hand and constantly working in defense.

I don't think its dismissing D'arcy to say that McFadden deserves a start ahead of him, McFadden has been excellent at 12 whenever hes gotten the opportunity.

I don't think its dismissing D'arcy to say that McFadden deserves a start ahead of him, McFadden has been excellent at 12 whenever hes gotten the opportunity.

He hasn't though. Look at the Magners League final last season. Against a team with an organised defense (which is what Foley has brought to Munster) a lot of ball dies with McFadden at 12. He was really good this weekend though. I wouldn't mind if either start, but I think it'll be D'Arcy.

• Advertisement

That was last season in fairness. D'arcy has also had some shockers since last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's up there now!
    so it is! i only checked this morning, it must have gone up only a little bit ago. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Ross should start against Munster and White should come on around 50 minutes to really turn the screw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He got the opportunity on Friday and was far from excellent.

Hagz wrote: »
    He got the opportunity on Friday and was far from excellent.

I thought he was solid if unspectacular. Don't really mind who starts but McFadden's versatility means he will probably be on the bench.

I thought himself and Madigan were the stand out performers to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fitzgerald needs all the game time he can get to get himself back up to speed.

When he made that break up the middle I'd have loved for him to have backed himself and gone for the corner. He seemed to be caught in two minds about what to do similar to Earls against England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I thought himself and Madigan were the stand out performers to be honest.

Actually yeh, he was pretty good. Don't know what I was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Any news on White or Hagans injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7625242,00.html

Sam Warburton is out for 6 weeks, he will definitely miss the QF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7625242,00.html

Sam Warburton is out for 6 weeks, he will definitely miss the QF.

Huge boost for Leinster

Can't see ye losing that in a million years now

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

[Jackass] wrote: »
    How could the Ospreys conversion possibly have been good?

The ball must travel in between the two posts at the point of the try line, and if it hits the top of the post (which it did) it isn't physicaly possible for the ball to travel between the two posts, and even if it bounces inwards (as it did) it is behind the line by the point it is between the two posts...

I remember a few years ago Jonny Wilkinson took a kick and it bounced off the top of post. It wasn't given. Personally I think the kicker should get extra points for doing that, only kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Huge boost for Leinster

Can't see ye losing that in a million years now

Oh the pressure...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster will still have to deal with enormo jaw and Halfpenny. But I'm confident that Leinsters pack will do the job against Cardiff, especially with Warburton not playing. Just make sure that they get no quick ball and Leinster should win the game imo.

Oh and no loose kicking to Leigh Halfpenny either. He'll win those kicking contests all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think Joe will pick a 6, 7, 8 of McLaughlin, SOB and Heaslip. Even the bench spot is hard to pick, as Ruddock was excellent v Ospreys, but if you want to move SOB to 6 mid-match, you have to pick Jennings.

Can't agree with this, thought he was poor and would much prefer Jenno on the bench for Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hippo wrote: »
    Can't agree with this, thought he was poor and would much prefer Jenno on the bench for Thomond.
    He was very good at 6 but poor when he moved to 8

^^ Pretty much that.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Tox56 wrote: »
    I thought he was solid if unspectacular. Don't really mind who starts but McFadden's versatility means he will probably be on the bench.

I think 'solid' pretty much describes McFadden, he's an excellent kicker 'tho and I think that influences people to think he's a better player than he is as a result. What about swopping himself and Luke, think Luke is much better in the centre. Would also like to see Madigan doing more kicking now - he's having a stormer of a season - another poster even referred to a bit of a strut emerging - go Mads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Squad update: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9702.php

Hagan likely to miss Munster game, White to be OK, internationals to return (including Ross).

• Advertisement

Here's a question, would you prefer a win in Thomond this weekend or in the RDS on Good Friday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement