Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Here's a question, would you prefer a win in Thomond this weekend or in the RDS on Good Friday?

A win this weekend. a win this weekend will take the pressure off for any potential HC and Rabo double run as we can afford to rest players in more games so I'm afraid I'd have to go for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

a win this weekend will take the pressure off for any potential HC and Rabo double run as we can afford to rest players in more games so I'm afraid I'd have to go for that

What he said. A win in the B&I would be a nice bonus, but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

And Darcy in line to hit 200 caps for Leinster on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

durkadurka wrote: »
    And Darcy in line to hit 200 caps for Leinster on Saturday.

Congrats to him so, hopefully he shows a bit of pre 6 nations form again, and should be more comfortable with BOD outside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0327/1224313955286.html
    Cummiskey thinks luke fitz could leave at end of season as contract that had been offered to him has now been withdrawn. Would he leave?
    Darcy and Madigan have signed new contracts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A 30% drop, despite his form this year in the Heineken cup being as good as he's ever played?

I wouldn't blame him for walking away at all. I don't believe it'll happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ormond lad wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0327/1224313955286.html
    Cummiskey thinks luke fitz could leave at end of season as contract that had been offered to him has now been withdrawn. Would he leave?
    Darcy and Madigan have signed new contracts

i believe Leamy signed a new 2 year central contract back in February, IRFU are going a strange way about things in my book, ok they cant cave in to wage demands but offering a player 30% less when he's coming into his peak is tatamount to an insult.

If i was in Luke's shoes i'd be off to France in a flash 2 or 3 years playing over there on 350-400k and still be back in time before the next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

bamboozle wrote: »
    i believe Leamy signed a new 2 year central contract back in February, IRFU are going a strange way about things in my book, ok they cant cave in to wage demands but offering a player 30% less when he's coming into his peak is tatamount to an insult.

If i was in Luke's shoes i'd be off to France in a flash 2 or 3 years playing over there on 350-400k and still be back in time before the next world cup.

I could maybe seem him going in the same direction as Lee Byrne since his big money move to the Top 14. Schmit seems to like the cut of him, so he may be better off staying put in the long term.

I really hope he stays. I don't think he's earned a central contract though, he's not a mainstay of the Irish squad, obviously due to injuries, but even still, you couldn't fault the IRFU in taking him out of the central contract situation.

The Leamy issue is/was an absolutely massive, massive mistake. And trying to correct it by making more mistakes is beyond foolish. Whoever managed to convince the IRFU to give Leamy a central contract should work as an interrogator / negotiator for the Army, and whoever gave into him shouldn't be involved in another contract decision again.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Seems IRFU HR is the same as HR in all large organisations .... out of touch! Risking losing a player of Luke's ability and re-signing Kidney to oversee the national side ... says it all! It would be an awful pity to lose Luke especially when Schmidt brings out such quality in all his players

• Advertisement

I could maybe seem him going in the same direction as Lee Byrne since his big money move to the Top 14. Schmit seems to like the cut of him, so he may be better off staying put in the long term.

Byrne is 32, his place in the welsh squad was gone last season, he's in france to wind down his career and build up his pension...very different circustances to Luke.

Byrne is 32, his place in the welsh squad was gone last season, he's in france to wind down his career and build up his pension...very different circustances to Luke.

True enough but what I was getting at (albeit a poorly made point!) was players who aren't well established in the Irish team are generally forgotten about looking at empirical evidence.

Only the likes of T-Bowe and Geordan really survived such moves.

True enough but what I was getting at (albeit a poorly made point!) was players who aren't well established in the Irish team are generally forgotten about looking at empirical evidence.

Only the likes of T-Bowe and Geordan really survived such moves.
    Neither Bowe nor Murphy were established in the Irish team before going abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Maybe Leamy thanked his lucky stars he was even been offered a contract and took a pay cut? I dunno. I think Fitz is lucky to be even offered a central contract given his attacking form over the last two years. Maybe a couple of years in France would do him the world of good in the long term.

padraig.od wrote: »

Maybe Leamy thanked his lucky stars he was even been offered a contract and took a pay cut? I dunno. I think Fitz is lucky to be even offered a central contract given his attacking form over the last two years. Maybe a couple of years in France would do him the world of good in the long term.
    His attacking form this season has been as good as ever.

So plenty of over running the ball, attempting 20/80 offloads, knock ons etc?

I watched last 2011 HC final the other day. He was excellent in defence, made a massive tackle on Lawes near the line. Very brave and athletic but he has been woeful in attack for a while now for both Leinster & Ireland.

2 tries in 23 caps... that's probably Kidneys fault.

Neither Bowe nor Murphy were established in the Irish team before going abroad

Well that's me told.

***gets coat***

padraig.od wrote: »

So plenty of over running the ball, attempting 20/80 offloads, knock ons etc?

I watched last 2011 HC final the other day. He was excellent in defence, made a massive tackle on Lawes near the line. Very brave and athletic but he has been woeful in attack for a while now for both Leinster & Ireland.

2 tries in 23 caps... that's probably Kidneys fault.
    Well if you didn't watch leinster this season then its understandable why you're so confused. Look up the highlights, Bath in the RDS should be a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Has it? This season he has 4 tries in 15 games for Leinster. Compared to 12 for Visser in 16 games, 6 for Trimble in 11, 7 for Madigan in 16, and 9 for Zebo in 17. There is no doubting he has more rugby flair than Trimble, particularly in close quarters where he can leave an opponent for dead. I suppose, like a striker in soccer, a top class winger at Europe's number one club is rated on his scoring rate in the main. Making great breaks look good but if they essentially lead nowhere.......?

I think that Fitz's obvious talent maybe need channelled differently. The last few seasons have been difficult for him. Trying too hard art times perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

How much is Leamy's contract worth, what was he on in his previous contract?

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »

Leamy is in his 30s though isn't he? Fitzgerald is 24. Not a very string comparison.

Fitzgerald isn't playing for Ireland but he's an important part of one of the best club teams in Europe and should be paid accordingly, not taking a 30% pay cut.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Thornley is talking about a potential semi final in Bordeaux in the IT. Is that confirmed? I thought the game was going to be in St. Etienne (at least Joe seemed to think it would be).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

jacothelad wrote: »
    Has it? This season he has 4 tries in 15 games for Leinster. Compared to 12 for Visser in 16 games, 6 for Trimble in 11, 7 for Madigan in 16, and 9 for Zebo in 17. There is no doubting he has more rugby flair than Trimble, particularly in close quarters where he can leave an opponent for dead. I suppose, like a striker in soccer, a top class winger at Europe's number one club is rated on his scoring rate in the main. Making great breaks look good but if they essentially lead nowhere.......?

I think that Fitz's obvious talent maybe need channelled differently. The last few seasons have been difficult for him. Trying too hard art times perhaps.

But Luke Fitz has never really scored that many tries. I think his attacking game has been as good as it ever was this season.

He's a bit unlucky at times but I don't think he has the same killer instinct needed to be a top class winger. He's extremely talented though, makes loads of breaks, his passing and distribution is pretty good and he's defensively strong. I really think he could be a top class centre. He's played at 12 before and impressed and I think it would make best use of his talents, as he's probably more talented than McFadden anyway. It would also free up a space on the wing for Trimble/Earls (who he is behind at the moment anyway).

A move to France could actually be good for him, in many ways, it might hurt his Ireland prospects though. And he'd be a bit of a loss for Leinster in the short-term anyway. But it'd be a great opportunity for someone like Kearney or Conway.

No idea, oh great Defendor of all things Red.

Going to enlighten us?

And to be honest, it's irrelevant either way. If there are 22 central contracts available, and we've given one to someone who wouldn't/shouldn't make the match day 22 of any of the next 2 years of games bar significant change in fortunes for a number of players (We'd need to not see 4 available from Ferris, SOB, Heaslip, Wallace, POM, Henry to see Leamy again with our continuing stagnation policy, and he'll be even further behind that again if someone who knows how to build a team comes in), then even if he's taken a considerable pay cut that's still a contract used/abused!

Going to enlighten us?

And to be honest, it's irrelevant either way. If there are 22 central contracts available, and we've given one to someone who wouldn't/shouldn't make the match day 22 of any of the next 2 years of games bar significant change in fortunes for a number of players (We'd need to not see 4 available from Ferris, SOB, Heaslip, Wallace, POM, Henry to see Leamy again with our continuing stagnation policy, and he'll be even further behind that again if someone who knows how to build a team comes in), then even if he's taken a considerable pay cut that's still a contract used/abused!
    Not to mention the fact he's not going to be in the Munster team barring injury either. It's a crazy misuse of resources on the part if the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Going to enlighten us?

Could just be an issue of the IRFU helping out Munster with budgeting issues by being willing to pay his contract. Not undeserved for a province that supplied the Irish pack for 10 years to its own detriment.

Well if you didn't watch leinster this season then its understandable why you're so confused. Look up the highlights, Bath in the RDS should be a good example.

Didn't you play Bath at the Aviva? Bath.... weren't they on an awful run of form in the run up to that game? I think Leinster put 50+ points on them? Hardly a team to measure yourself against. I remember he scored one from his own 22, but to be fair any number of wingers can catch a ball and run like hell for the opposition try line.

Could just be an issue of the IRFU helping out Munster with budgeting issues by being willing to pay his contract. Not undeserved for a province that supplied the Irish pack for 10 years to its own detriment.

What are you talking about?

Munster are The IRFU.

Regardless of whether or not the contract is a Munster contract, or an IRFU contract, it gets paid by the IRFU.

Munster Rugby is "The Munster Branch of the IRFU".

The issue with the central contracts is that they are "supposed" to be to keep our best and most guaranteed-to-be-involved with the national side in the country and happy.

Leamy is not one of these people.

Not to mention the fact he's not going to be in the Munster team barring injury either. It's a crazy misuse of resources on the part if the IRFU.

I'd totally agree with that.

• Advertisement

this is a professional game we are talking about. I doubt the above is true but if Munster needs help with their budgeting they could be advised rather than keep fringe rabo quality players on decent contracts they should be more ruthless with culling playing incapable of making a consistant impact at Rabo level.

PS- Miller, Costello, Wood, Byrne, Corrigan, Mal O'Kelly, Easterby et al might disagree with your comments regarding munster supplying the Irish pack, by this logic Leinster have supplied the Irish back line for the last 10 years and the IRFU should cover fitz's deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement