Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can Marcus Horan be kept away from BOD this time please? He hasn't got that long left and another 6 months out would be a disaster!

I'd go same as Jackass, but with Ryan starting at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

tolosenc wrote: »
    Can Marcus Horan be kept away from BOD this time please? He hasn't got that long left and another 6 months out would be a disaster!

I'd go same as Jackass, but with Ryan starting at 7.

Only if ye keep Sexton away from Mafi! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm sure I've already done this but my team would be:

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Thorn, Cullen, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip, Boss, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Nacewa, Kearney

Cronin, VDM, White, Browne, Jennings, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

Front row is fairly easy. White on the bench instead of Ross because he contributes more around the park than Ross and I'd prefer him on with Reddan.

Second row very easy to pick. Browne on the bench purely as a replacement for Thorn, Toner unlucky that he doesn't cover tighthead.

Back row is tough. McLaughlin is nailed on for me as he will give that POC/Ryanless lineout a severe test. O'Brien moves to 7 to accommodate him and Heaslip at 8 is obvious. Jennings or Ryan on the bench? Hard to say. Id go with Jennings because Ryan isn't at full fitness and would benefit more from 80 minutes in the RDS.

Boss at 9. Tough call though. Id rather see us keep it tight in the first half, itll be impossible to do anything else in Thomond. Once we have a foothold in the game we can spring Reddan and score 80 points in the final 30 minutes. If starting, Reddan could fall to pieces if we don't start at full intensity. Id like to see Madigan get a bit of game time, maybe even 30 minutes.

Rest of the backs pick themselves really. McFadden/Darcy is 50/50 but McFadden covers a lot off the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

ambid wrote: »
    No McLaughlin?

D'oh, forgot about him, yeah he'll be in the squad alright, but I wouldn't start him, but also wouldn't be surprised if he got the nod ahead of Jennings by Joe. As someone pointed out, lineout options could be an issue, but Heaslip is another lineout option, and thankfull we're not against Munsters best 2 second rows, although MOD and DOC are very capable lineout operators.

RE Fitzgerald mentioned earlier in thread, as a side point, I don't think there's any chance of him leaving, it's just the usual game of chicken that is invloved with negotiating with the IRFU. I read in the paper today though that the figures involved are his current salary being 280k per year (!!) and he is being offered 200k per year to resign. Didn't realise players would be on that much money, but I think Luke has to accept that times are tight and his form has been very up and down over the last couple of seasons, and he can't expect to command the very top end of wages he was on. He would be better off taking a short term deal of 1 or 2 years at 200k with an agreement in principal of a second contract offer of a 25% pay rise and further 2 year deal if he can achieve X amount of caps between now and then (i.e. improve his form to become a regular in the international team again).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Didn't realise players would be on that much money
    It's not much, really, given how short these guys' careers are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jennings for this one. Munster tend to struggle with him in the last couple of years. Breakdown is always king in these games and he's the best breakdown player we have. Let him go at it from 7 and put SOB in the open field a bit more to get a mis-match further out the field. With POC and Ryan out of contention, Munster's line out isn't as threatening. I think they'll still be rock solid on Munster own ball but hopefully, with a bit of cleverness, Leinster can keep their own throws away from them.

Play the normal away from home game against Munster and try to keep it as tight as possible, take it wider only when the opportunities are there and take the points whenever on offer. Squeeze the life out of them up front and put them under as much pressure as possible at rucks. TOL needs to have life made as difficult as possible and, by association, make life as difficult as possible for ROG. Hang onto the ball and commit sufficient numbers to the rucks. Munster will try to flood the breakdown with numbers and hammer through when the opportunity is there. Let them smell blood and they'll crucify us with counter rucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Thought i would leap on the opportunity to post the 7000th reply to this thread...

Really think Leinster can take this game now-what with Ryan, Murray and POC all missing. I would love to see SOB at six but I think Schmidt will go with a McLoughlin, SOB , Heaslip back row

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

D'arcy gets a new contract and Fitzgerald may not. The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Aidric wrote: »
    D'arcy gets a new contract and Fitzgerald may not. The mind boggles.

At what?

Fitzgerald was offered a new contract but declined it because it was a pay cut (or so we hear); I would stake my life that D'Arcy's new contract involved a significant pay cut as well but he has fewer options than Fitz so was probably more inclined to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

DArcy isn't on a central contract is he?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

No, he's on a Leinster contract.
    But we can't let that get in the way of outraged mind-boggling. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

D'arcy lost his central contract a few years ago...coincided with his return to UCD studying Arts and his return from that awful arm injury.

Once again though, D'arcy's career is winding down, Luke Fitz is only going to get better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

fitz wrote: »
    No, he's on a Leinster contract.
    But we can't let that get in the way of outraged mind-boggling. :p

These god damn staw men!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Shaggy retires :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

prospect wrote: »

Been on the cards for a while now. Gutted still though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

prospect wrote: »

Where are you hearing this?

I'm not doubting it's truth, just wondering where it's been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tweets from Leinster Rugby and IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Just heard it too, so disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Thank you shaggy for the memories, it's been awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9717.php

Confirmed by Leinster.

*mod edit. IRFU are apparently having some DNS issues so this link might not work at the moment for some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's a sad day.

What an absolute hero and a great servant to Leinster and Ireland.

Since being dropped from Ireland I think his game improved immensely and he has arguably had some of his strongest seasons in the last 2 years.

Good luck to him with the punditry or whatever he chooses to do from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Catch from cross kick in Croker for try. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9717.php

Confirmed by Leinster.

*mod edit. IRFU are apparently having some DNS issues so this link might not work at the moment for some people

Bloody northsiders!! :D

Shame Shaggy had to retire this way but what a player in his time with Leinster and Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

We've seen it coming for a long time, but it doesn't soften the blow. Gutted for him. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Gutted for him, great servant to both Leinster and Ireland. Hope to see him in the studio more often now though. He was good on the panel.
    Will always remember him for the stretch and try score against England on the last day of the 6N's couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Will always remember him for the stretch and try score against England on the last day of the 6N's couple of years ago.
    Time flies ... it was 6 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

With Shaggy's retirement, Luke's contract issues and Nacewa preparing to enter his last season with Leinster due to the new IRFU NIQ rules (maybe he can be re-designated as another position I'm not certain how it is going to work) there is going to be a massive amount of pressure on Carr, DKearney and Conway to step on the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Real shame. He was one of my favourite players-his stand out moments are many with the tries against England being most peoples highlights. However my favourite moment for me if any of you have the Heinken Cup DVD from 2009 was his sheer show of emotion after the final whistle in Edinburgh. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Leinster rugby tweeted
    leinsterrugby ‏ @leinsterrugby
    In response to a number of queries the bars will be open in the RDS for the British and Irish Cup ¼ final on Friday week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I reckon it's a little test run for next year when they might market a full rabo league game for good Friday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement