Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »
    Leinster rugby tweeted

Liars! :mad:

It's a semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

A Tribute To The Legend That Is Shane Horgan...

Arguably the greatest finisher that Irish rugby has ever seen, Shane Horgan has given us all many fond memories, for both Leinster and Ireland alike.

He grew into an iconic figure in both jerseys, as his critical scores, trade mark leaps and overhead catching of the ball as well as using every last blade of grass and every millimeter of his body to get the ball over the line, and not least his pure emotion and love for the game he showed on the field, one can't help but to be endeared to him and mesmerized by him at the same time.

Not many players deserve such a sendoff, but this man certainly deserves a massive send off as one of the most lethal of gelacticos in a famed Irish and Leinster backline, he is one of the last players to leave what was a fine generation of Irish rugby that saw us enjoy success and panache that we hadn't seen from an Irish side in generations, and was part of a collection of special players that blazed a trail of glory for the young pretender incumbents that follow in their footsteps today...

Some Facts:

Top Try Scorer For Leinster (all time) with 69 tries.

First and only player to date to make 200 appearances for Leinster (most appearances all time with 203)

4th highest try scorer in Heineken Cup history with 27 tries.

4th highest appearances in Heineken Cup history having played 87 times in the competition.

4th highest Irish try scorer of all time with 21 tries.

Lions Tourist in 2005 to New Zealand, he played in all 3 tests.

354917.jpg

41457684_horgan416ap.jpg

12405-xlarge.jpg

HoganT.jpg

613x459.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

8287.jpg

ShaneHorgan.jpg

(sadly some of his best highlights are no longer on youtube :( )

Farewell to a superb, nay outstanding servant to Irish rugby, and his presence on the field will be sorely missed, and it's a shame that perhaps a player of his ability (along with many other Irish players) didn't enjoy more success that I believe their talent deserved. Very sadly, he was axed from the Irish squad after contributing so much, just in time for Ireland to finally land the long sought after Grand Slam, but never have I been more delighted for a player to win anything than to see him win (and second time lift) the Heineken Cup. I've also had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occasions, and a more down to earth, friendly gent there is not.

Thanks for all the great memories Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Farewell Horgan, you will not be forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Nice collection of photos on the thejournal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Great player. He was always my favourite of the Irish backline in the Eddie years, BOD was the most talented, Hickie the quickest, Dempsey the most reliable but Shaggy was just immense. Scored some great tries for Ireland and Leinster, massive in defence and attack but was very skilful aswell.

As a Munster fan, I'd always fear when he came up against us, as shown by some of the great tries he scored against us.

Sad to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Tickets for the Ulster game in Ravenhill available from tomorrow morning.
    Where do the travelling Leinster fans usually get seats?
    Interested in going, never been to the ground before.

Gutted I can't make the Ravenhill trip this year. I presume this is the last season before the renovations? That'd make the trip extra special! Gonna be in Scotland at a Wedding... Ugh, hoping to find somewhere to show the match. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Cardiff team for tomorrow night's trip to Glasgow includes Bradley Davies for his first match in almost two months. If Cardiff are to stand a chance, they'll need Davies fit and firing. He's a great player. The other Welsh internationals come back into the fold with Halfpenny, Roberts and Cuthbert all back in the side too. Interestingly, Gethin Jenkins is out with his shoulder again. Probably back next week but possibly not 100%. Possibly the most noticeable change is the dropping of Parks from the 23 entirely. Ceri Sweeney starts at outhalf and Henson provides cover from the bench. Looks like the Blues are going to try and keep it in hand and go at Leinster. Going to be a much closer and tougher game than many imagine.

Team for Glasgow:

15. Leigh Halfpenny 14. Alex Cuthbert 13. Casey Laulala 12. Jamie Roberts 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lloyd Williams

8. Xavier Rush (C) 7. Josh Navidi 6. Mamma Moitika 5. James Down 4. Bradley Davies 3. Scott Andrews 2. Ryan Tyrrell 1. John Yapp

theres a guy playing for La Rochelle david mcgowen that used to play for connacht a few years ago still only 26/27 according to his profile dont know how good/bad he is could be worth a look?????

McGowan is a good player. Cut his teeth in Pro Div 2 in France where you learn to be tough as nails as a front five player or you don't make it. Became a mainstay of the side and was a starting lock in the Top 14 last season before falling foul of a very messy shoulder injury which has damaged him severely. He was very highly rated in France and Biarritz approached him to offer him a deal which he turned down. Now, following the shoulder injury, I'm told his future is uncertain. If he was still fully fit he'd be a very useful signing. He's a lock that can play blindside comfortably enough and has been playing at 8 for La Rochelle a bit in recent times. You'd have to wonder how/why he was let leave Connacht in the first place though. Had a grand total of 1 start ever for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

GerM wrote: »
    Going to be a much closer and tougher game than many imagine.

Team for Glasgow:

15. Leigh Halfpenny 14. Alex Cuthbert 13. Casey Laulala 12. Jamie Roberts 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lloyd Williams

8. Xavier Rush (C) 7. Josh Navidi 6. Mamma Moitika 5. James Down 4. Bradley Davies 3. Scott Andrews 2. Ryan Tyrrell 1. John Yapp

Agreed; that is a classy back line with a possible weakness at 10, but definite potential to do serious damage.

I think it's up front that Leinster will have the edge; if Jenkins is out, it's a massive bonus, Tito is struggling for fitness as is Martyn Williams and Warburton is definitely gone, so I think if we can get Leo and Thorn working well together and if Ross is back fit, we should be looking to boss them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

McGowan is a good player. Cut his teeth in Pro Div 2 in France where you learn to be tough as nails as a front five player or you don't make it. Became a mainstay of the side and was a starting lock in the Top 14 last season before falling foul of a very messy shoulder injury which has damaged him severely. He was very highly rated in France and Biarritz approached him to offer him a deal which he turned down. Now, following the shoulder injury, I'm told his future is uncertain. If he was still fully fit he'd be a very useful signing. He's a lock that can play blindside comfortably enough and has been playing at 8 for La Rochelle a bit in recent times. You'd have to wonder how/why he was let leave Connacht in the first place though. Had a grand total of 1 start ever for them.

from what little i know he left because he wasnt getting game time.could be worth a gamble on a 1 year contract then?wouldnt think it would cost big money to get him in and money you`d save getting some big name foreigner in could be used to go towards keeping some of the bigger names at leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

from what little i know he left because he wasnt getting game time.could be worth a gamble on a 1 year contract then?wouldnt think it would cost big money to get him in and money you`d save getting some big name foreigner in could be used to go towards keeping some of the bigger names at leinster.

No gambles. We're thin on depth in that part of the team, so we need to bring in some proven quality.

tolosenc wrote: »
    No gambles. We're thin on depth in that part of the team, so we need to bring in some proven quality.

i suppose your right there what about that Caldwell lad that used to play for ulster think he at bath now seems like a handy player but would bath let him go is another thing if the money was right they might??theres also a Browne lad that used to play newcastle think hes at quins now remember reading he was eligible for ireland through his dad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just looking on Ticketmaster and they have 2988 tickets left for the Cardiff HEC QF next week. Whether more come online I don't know but that's what's there now.

I'd say it'll sell out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Just looking on Ticketmaster and they have 2988 tickets left for the Cardiff HEC QF next week. Whether more come online I don't know but that's what's there now.
    I don't think there is much more
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8785.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

CatFromHue wrote: »

Hmmm. As 'Ciaran' points out, they were up to 49,000 earlier in the week so more tickets have materialised since then, maybe the difference is made up by Cardiff returns? If so, great, the fewer Taffs there the better.*

*edit: not in a racist way, in a "making noise in support of the Blues" way.

Yup, that's exactly why he left. I was more wondering how he was let leave. We tend to let players go in this country that are more than capable of doing a job. McGowan was a young lock who was willing to put himself about and work hard yet got 1 start in two years. If he was capable of starting in the T14, he was certainly capable of mixing it up in the Pro12.

I don't think he'd be a great signing any longer. The injuries really damaged him and he has struggled to regain the form and fitness he had. Struggles to get a run of starts these days. Caldwell is precisely who Leinster should be looking at. Himself and Toner could form a very complimentary partnership if the opportunity came.

Yup, that's exactly why he left. I was more wondering how he was let leave. We tend to let players go in this country that are more than capable of doing a job. McGowan was a young lock who was willing to put himself about and work hard yet got 1 start in two years. If he was capable of starting in the T14, he was certainly capable of mixing it up in the Pro12.

I don't think he'd be a great signing any longer. The injuries really damaged him and he has struggled to regain the form and fitness he had. Struggles to get a run of starts these days. Caldwell is precisely who Leinster should be looking at. Himself and Toner could form a very complimentary partnership if the opportunity came.

you`d have to wonder alright suppose well never know.Caldwell would be a very good signing but would bath let him go?theres also Peter(could be wrong) Browne at Quins remember reading that he can play for ireland through his dad never seen him play so dont know how good he is.

you`d have to wonder alright suppose well never know.Caldwell would be a very good signing but would bath let him go?theres also Peter(could be wrong) Browne at Quins remember reading that he can play for ireland through his dad never seen him play so dont know how good he is.

Caldwell is on a 2 year deal which expires at the end of next season. If Leinster make an approach to Caldwell and put an offer on the table, it's up to him. All Bath can do is make their own offer. If Caldwell harbours ambitions of playing for the national side, he knows that he needs to be back here to break into the set up. If he was in Ireland playing the way he has been for Bath this season, there's a chance he'd have been involved in the 6N ahead of McCarthy. The emergence of Ryan though might have a prohibitive effect on him returning if he thinks he has no hope of breaking through now.

Didn't know Browne had Irish links. He's relatively young though. Could well still harbour ambitions of playing for England. We've enough Irish born talent to manage at lock if we utilise it correctly and bring through the young talent now. Flanagan, Henderson, Foley etc. all have a lot of talent but need the exposure and coaching now.

• Advertisement

Caldwell has a year left on his contract and to sign him Leinster would probably have to buy him out so it probably wouldn't save any money. Leinster should track him and make enquiries though.

I wouldn't be beating down COS's door looking to take Browne off him. Browne has only got three substitute appearances so far this season so he must be down the pecking order there.

I wouldn't be signing him just beacause he is IQ.

Caldwell is on a 2 year deal which expires at the end of next season. If Leinster make an approach to Caldwell and put an offer on the table, it's up to him. All Bath can do is make their own offer. If Caldwell harbours ambitions of playing for the national side, he knows that he needs to be back here to break into the set up. If he was in Ireland playing the way he has been for Bath this season, there's a chance he'd have been involved in the 6N ahead of McCarthy. The emergence of Ryan though might have a prohibitive effect on him returning if he thinks he has no hope of breaking through now.

Didn't know Browne had Irish links. He's relatively young though. Could well still harbour ambitions of playing for England. We've enough Irish born talent to manage at lock if we utilise it correctly and bring through the young talent now. Flanagan, Henderson, Foley etc. all have a lot of talent but need the exposure and coaching now.

could be wrong on Browne bit some people on here might know more than i do.on the other hand with Caldwell DOC AND POC aren't getting any younger he 5 years younger than DOC and POC so you`d never know.would leinster have to pay some kind of transfer free to sign Caldwell?

would leinster have to pay some kind of transfer free to sign Caldwell?

No. Transfer fees buy out contracts. In rugby, contracts come to an end and players can move. In football, the Bosman ruling governs the same.

could be wrong on Browne bit some people on here might know more than i do.on the other hand with Caldwell DOC AND POC aren't getting any younger he 5 years younger than DOC and POC so you`d never know.would leinster have to pay some kind of transfer free to sign Caldwell?
    To sign this year Calwell would have to buy out his contract with bath which Leinter would cover with a signing bonus. Wait a year and they would have him at whatever deal they make with Caldwell

Caldwell has two years left on his contract and to sign him Leinster would probably have to buy him out so it probably wouldn't save any money. Leinster should track him and make enquiries though.

I wouldn't be beating down COS's door looking to take Browne off him. Browne has only got three substitute appearances so far this season so he must be down the pecking order there.

I wouldn't be signing him just beacause he is IQ.

only said Browne name coz i came across him and saw he was IQ not very knowledgeable about rugby so dont really know whos a good signing and whos a bad signing.i guess it would be a fairly costly to sign Caldwell then?

No. Transfer fees buy out contracts. In rugby, contracts come to an end and players can move. In football, the Bosman ruling governs the same.

oh right well ya learn something new everyday still trying to increase my rugby knowledge so if i ask stupid questions i apologize

only said Browne name coz i came across him and saw he was IQ not very knowledgeable about rugby so dont really know whos a good signing and whos a bad signing.i guess it would be a fairly costly to sign Caldwell then?
    To be honest I don't really follow the premiership in England. I tend to judge players apart from those I see in the HEC or international games on their gametime which I get by going to this site
    http://www.premiershiprugby.com/home.php
    then going to clubs and then squads :)

Yeah I reckon Caldwell would be costly enough to sign this summer, maybe the year after when he is out of contract

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

would leinster have to pay some kind of transfer free to sign Caldwell?

Nacewa was "bought." He had a contract when he moved.

It has happened, but I don't think there is enough demand for players to see it happen very often, especially for Leinster with their academy.

To be honest I don't really follow the premiership in England. I tend to judge players apart from those I see in the HEC or international games on their gametime which I get by going to this site

Yeah I reckon Caldwell would be costly enough to sign this summer, maybe the year after when he is out of contract

same here only follow the Rabo and HEC might watch the odd T14 game if it on.would think i would cost what a least 100k to sign Caldwell.is a second row a must for leinster or would they be ok for a year and then try to sign Caldwell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

same here only follow the Rabo and HEC might watch the odd T14 game if it on.would think i would cost what a least 100k to sign Caldwell.is a second row a must for leinster or would they be ok for a year and then try to sign Caldwell?
    Leinster won't pay money to sign anyone.

We have Cullen, Toner and Flanagan under contract next season as well as hopefully Damien Browne coming back. We need another tighthead lock. There will be a few available I'm sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement