Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wrong thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jamie Roberts went off in a heap tonight, leg injury of some sort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

We are a week away from the B&I cup semi

I'm thinking for the team
    McGrath Dundon Hagan/White/O'Connell
    Browne Flanagan
    Ruddock A'auva Ryan
    Cooney Berquist
    O'Shea O'Malley
    Carr Conway Kearney

That said a few players could be held back in case of injuries in the senior team. Th prop is liklely to be determined by fitness.

I'd be surprised to see the likes of Browne, EOM and Kearney parachuted into the side having not played in the B&I all season, fair enough its a semi against Munster and a win is important but this is meant to be a developmental competition after all. If I was Brendan Macken I wouldnt be happy to find myself dropped at this stage for a senior player having played well in the competition to date.

Jamie Roberts went off in a heap tonight, leg injury of some sort...
    Trying hard not to be happy about that. Given his quality its tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shuffol wrote: »
    I'd be surprised to see the likes of Browne, EOM and Kearney parachuted into the side having not played in the B&I all season, fair enough its a semi against Munster and a win is important but this is meant to be a developmental competition after all. If I was Brendan Macken I wouldnt be happy to find myself dropped at this stage for a senior player having played well in the competition to date.
    Kearney has played most games in the B&I cup this season. Fair enough point about EOM and Browne and even Berquist though you didn't mention it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Would be kind of unfair on the likes of Boyle, Maken, Hudson etc to be dropped out of the team after playing all the way up to the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Watched 30 mins of the Cardiff game and they were absolute muck. Glasgow out thought and out played the Blues. Glasgow also butchered 3 tries against them too so the scoreline flattered Cardiff massively.

Cardiff rested a few players from their pack but they'll be hammered next week if they play like they did tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Kearney has played most games in the B&I cup this season. Fair enough point about EOM and Browne and even Berquist though you didn't mention it though.

Yea wasnt sure about Kearney so that was a bit of a guess, thought Hudson would've been starting at 14.

The A team that played Connacht was
    15: Andrew Conway
    14: Andrew Boyle (Steve Crosbie, 64)
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Colm O’Shea
    11: Darren Hudson
    10: Mat Berquist (Noel Reid, 54)
    9: John Cooney

1: Jack McGrath CAPTAIN (James Tracy, 66)
    2: Aaron Dundon (Tom Sexton, 66)
    3: Jamie Hagan (Martin Moore, 66)
    4: Brad Thorn (Alan O'Connor, ht)
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Rhys Ruddock (Jordi Murphy, 58)
    7: Dominic Ryan (David Doyle, 75)
    8: Leo Auva’a

I'd say something along those lines is quite likely (minus a couple of names of course). That game was supposed to keep them fresh for this game. We'd have any Irish U20s back as well... Maybe we'd be missing Ruddock/Ryan/Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure but they usually run in two year cycles and if this stays the same then there'll be no new jersey next season.

Next years jersey will be new : addition of a third gold star ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sun 1 Jan 18:30 RDP12 Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues
    Sat 7 Jan 18:15 RDP12 Cardiff Blues 19 - 23 Leinster Rugby
    Sat 14 Jan 15:40 HC-P2 London Irish 15 - 22 Cardiff Blues
    Sun 22 Jan 15:15 HC-P2 Cardiff Blues 36 - 30 Racing Métro 92
    Sat 28 Jan 15:00 LVC-P2,P3 Gloucester Rugby 40 - 3 Cardiff Blues
    Sun 5 Feb 13:00 LVC-P2,P3 Cardiff Blues 45 - 40 Harlequins
    Fri 10 Feb 19:30 RDP12 Cardiff Blues 22 - 15 Connacht Rugby
    Fri 17 Feb 19:05 RDP12 Cardiff Blues 21 - 14 Ulster Rugby
    Fri 24 Feb 19:05 RDP12 Munster Rugby 16 - 13 Cardiff Blues
    Sat 3 Mar 16:30 RDP12 Benetton Treviso 13 - 20 Cardiff Blues
    Thu 15 Mar 19:05 RDP12 Dragons 18 - 14 Cardiff
    Sat 24 Mar 18:30 RDP12 Cardiff Blues 14 - 26 Scarlets
    Fri 30 Mar 19:35 RDP12 Glasgow Warriors 31 - 3 Cardiff Blues

P13 W6 L7

I don't know what to expect off Cardiff next week. While on paper they look a good team their recent form has been poor. Certainly in their last HEC pool game it was Racing who looked like they needed to win and Cardiff looked like the team with nothing to play for. Then there is also the fact that they will be losing a lot of players next season and are out of the Pro12 running. Mentally they could already be gone as can be seen by their last 3 losses against teams they could/should have beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5785.php

:D:D:D

The gods do seem to be smiling on Leinster.
    Beating Munster, Cardiff having their asses handed to them last night, and now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5785.php

:D:D:D

The gods do seem to be smiling on Leinster.
    Beating Munster, Cardiff having their asses handed to them last night, and now this.

I'm not entirely sure that's of much benefit to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

danthefan wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure that's of much benefit to Leinster.

I suppose yeah, maybe it would be better if Mr fake tan was on the pitch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Henson hasn't had a good game of rugby in years imo. He's showed flashes of his old self but he's never sustained that form for very long.

Roberts was always going to start ahead of him at inside centre. Leigh Halfpenny could be a wild card if Cardiff decide to play him at outhalf.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone know what the story is with Roberts? He was taken off last night and ESPN said the below about him in their Henson story.

"Henson's absence could be a growing concern for the Blues next week as they prepare to face Leinster in the Heineken Cup quarter-finals, with Wales midfielder Jamie Roberts sidelined with a knee injury sustained against the Warriors."

http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro12-2011-12/rugby/story/162218.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9168.php

Johnny Sexton out of the Cardiff game with a fractured Malleus.

Huge loss ahead of the HC game, but it didn't look good when he had to leave so quickly after taking the penalty.

Great opportunity for Madigan to stand up, and put his name forward for Irelands third choice number 10.

**April Fools and all that!**

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

DDC1990 wrote: »

Huge loss ahead of the HC game, but it didn't look good when he had to leave so quickly after taking the penalty.

Great opportunity for Madigan to stand up, and put his name forward for Irelands third choice number 10.

**April Fools and all that!**
    YOU ****ING SON OF A.... I ****ING HATE YOU!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

:eek: :(that is terrible, I fractured my Malleus when I was younger, I literally couldn't listen to the Doc when he told me my season was over...
    right back at ye baby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Clearly fake. He's miles better than ROG as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

But even as they close in on a thrilling end to their season, Leinster are already planning ahead and will replace one Kiwi prop with another for next season, though the new model will come equipped with an Irish passport.

Michael Bent, currently with the Hurricanes Super 15 squad who lost at home to the Cheetahs yesterday, will arrive in Dublin over the summer to replace Nathan White, who is headed for Connacht at the end of the season.

Bent's arrival will give Leinster at least three senior and Ireland-qualified players to select from at tighthead: Mike Ross, Jamie Hagan, and Bent, who can play both sides of the scrum, as well as Tadhg Furlong who is coming through from the Ireland under 20 side, and Jack O'Connell who is in the Academy.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/Rabodirect-PRO12/bent-to-boost-leinster-3067715.html

Bent's Hurricanes' profile: http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/team/players/michael-bent

Is this real or April fools? I'm on my phone.

Three Irish tightheads + the academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Anyone know if he's any good? Sounds like a perfect signing. IQ, 25 and can play both sides, meaning McGrath and Hagan will get ample gametime.

Hype710 wrote: »
    Anyone know if he's any good? Sounds like a perfect signing. IQ, 25 and can play both sides, meaning McGrath and Hagan will get ample gametime.
    Only played 5 times for the Canes.

So could well be the new Borlase!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Is this real or April fools? I'm on my phone.

Three Irish tightheads + the academy?

I'm hoping it's not as the more I see of Hagan the more worried I get

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I hope he is being signed because of his quality rather than Joe Jonno & Greg sitting down and asking 'do we know any IQ THs.'

Interestingly White and Bent are both bron in Hawera, a town in New Zealand with 11,100 people. Maybe White reccomended Bent.

90 minutes of rugby in four appeances off the bench this season. Well at least it means he is getting gametime in SuperRugby.

Supposedly he can both sides so could end up involved with the Irish set up as a #17 challenging Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If he can hold up the scrum, I don't care if he sits on his arse the rest of the game.

Where is the Indo getting his IQness from? I can't find it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Only played 5 times for the Canes.

So could well be the new Borlase!

If this guy's only managed 5 games for the Canes then he must be seriously shit.

Leinster's record since 95/96 in Thomond incl last nights game.
    P6 W3 L3

Leinster's record since 95/95 in Musgrave
    P6 W1 L4 D1

Leinster's record since 95/96 in Dooradoyle
    P1 W1

Leinster's record since 95/96 in Temple Hill
    P1 L1

Leinster's record since 95/96 in The Mardyke
    P1 L1

Leinster did not play Munster in 02/03 and did not play in Munster in 96/97.

Total in Munster
    P15 W5 L9 D1

Thank God we don't play them in Musgrave anymore :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

tolosenc wrote: »
    If he can hold up the scrum, I don't care if he sits on his arse the rest of the game.

Where is the Indo getting his IQness from? I can't find it anywhere else.

He does quote Ireland as his favourite holiday destination so maybe there's a family connection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement