Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

A 3rd choice prop signing. I like it. Means we're going to see a lot of Hagan next season.

Cmon Jamie, time to prove yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Not that keen I seeing more of hagan at the moment.

When he came on last week we were disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I know this is a Leinster thread but I was looking at a 6 Nations game from 2007 and Gordon Darcy was bloody sensational. He was breaking the line at will and his offloading was superb.

Its actually saddening at how much he's lost due to injury. He had genuine pace and strength. These days he's so slow and underpowered at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Much better that he's IQ immediately, unlike Borlase.

I heard on the radio that his sister lives here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

steven sykes is in the super 15 team of the week on planet rugby. FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Meh. I don't think we were ever going to get the best out of him. I don't think he was happy here so it was never going to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

roycon wrote: »

He could have come good for Leinster were he given a chance, rather than being tossed aside when a 37 year old WC winner became available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

He could have come good for Leinster were he given a chance, rather than being tossed aside when a 37 year old WC winner became available.

He wasn't tossed aside, he didnt settle and wanted to go home. Leinster where good to him and cancelled his contract so he could return home. After he left Leinster had to go out and make an unplanned signing which is why they brought in thorn. Plan was for Sykes to stay and become an Irish player. It didn't work out

He was gone long before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

roycon wrote: »

Weak effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

A day late, Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

There's always a but!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah what were Leinster doing ditching an up and coming talent for a kiwi journeyman? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Aw bless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

And the dumbest comment imaginable has gotten the good Captain about a page worth of replies. I'm sure he's delighted with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Is someone an ickle bit jealous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Sorry forgot smiley.....only joking about Marcus Bent

Link below: http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.com/2012/04/leinster-sign-kiwi-prop-michael-bent.html

Anyone know anything about this player?

pity he wasnt signed by Connacht, Leinster have Jack McGrath, Moore, Reilly, O'Connell, Furlong & Merry waiting on the fringes. dont see the need for this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Hagan is signed up for next season isn't he? Some Connacht fan was telling me he heard Jamie was going back there next year. Pretty sure it's nonsense but just want to check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ed7890 wrote: »
    Hagan is signed up for next season isn't he? Some Connacht fan was telling me he heard Jamie was going back there next year. Pretty sure it's nonsense but just want to check.

They just signed White from Lesinter. Cant see Leinster letting Hagen go as well

bamboozle wrote: »
    pity he wasnt signed by Connacht, Leinster have Jack McGrath, Moore, Reilly, O'Connell, Furlong & Merry waiting on the fringes. dont see the need for this guy.

I do.

Have you seen Hagan trying to scrummage lately? Maybe he just needs game time, maybe not. Then White is going to Connacht, van der Merwe is out of contract at the end of the season and is yet to re-sign afaik and Jack McGrath is the only one of the young guys you've named who is remotely ready for Rabo league level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

bamboozle wrote: »

I will let Greg Feek respond to your point:
    Greg Feek wrote:
    “With the age profile we got at Leinster, with Rossy in his thirties, and some good academy guys coming through like Marty Moore, Tadhg Furlong and loosehead James Tracy, it is between that age that we need to fill.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0403/1224314296127.html

Ross and Healy will miss at least 1/4 of the season with Ireland.

If Hagan gets any sort of progress in his scrummaging he may also be involved.

That leaves us thin on the ground. But we don't want to sign another White (as in, a guy who could arguably be first choice TH) because we can't afford him the gametime that he might get elsewhere.

This seems like the right idea. A guy who's got nothing to prove, and all to gain from coming across. Who knows, he could turn into a beast within a season?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

By the end of next season I'd hope Jack O'Connell should be in a place to cover ML level off the bench. Maybe even start, considering he's already benched. Moore or Tracy too perhaps.

In the future we should hopefully then have the young guys coming through to play as well. Like Feek says we just need to fill the squad between now and then.

This Bent signing may be the end of Van Der Merwe; Healy, McGrath, Bent and O'Connell all capable of playing loosehead in the Rabo next season. Even at a push we've got academy guys.

That would leave us with an entirely IQ front row squad next season... That'd shut up the fools on RTE who were blaming Leinster after the England game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think Hagan might be heading away from Leinster too, I heard a whisper that they dont see him as a long term prospect.

By the end of next season I'd hope Jack O'Connell should be in a place to cover ML level off the bench. Maybe even start, considering he's already benched. Moore or Tracy too perhaps.

In the future we should hopefully then have the young guys coming through to play as well. Like Feek says we just need to fill the squad between now and then.

This Bent signing may be the end of Van Der Merwe; Healy, McGrath, Bent and O'Connell all capable of playing loosehead in the Rabo next season. Even at a push we've got academy guys.

That would leave us with an entirely IQ front row squad next season... That'd shut up the fools on RTE who were blaming Leinster after the England game.

I really think he's being signed more as a TH; Hagan is looking wobbly at best. I would be very sorry to see VDM leaving, I think he's excellent.

I think Hagan might be heading away from Leinster too, I heard a whisper that they dont see him as a long term prospect.

I heard more than a whisper that they think he's the dog's bollocks and has been working his ass off this year.

Loose lips sink ships

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really think he's being signed more as a TH; Hagan is looking wobbly at best. I would be very sorry to see VDM leaving, I think he's excellent.
    I would like to see VDM stay. I think its more likely he will than he won't.

Then again if he stays and plays ahead of McGrath I'd be a little disappointed. Maybe he knows he could well be relegated to 3rd choice next season by virtue of his nationality and that's why he hasn't signed yet?

• Advertisement

I would like to see VDM stay. I think its more likely he will than he won't.

Then again if he stays and plays ahead of McGrath I'd be a little disappointed. Maybe he knows he could well be relegated to 3rd choice next season by virtue of his nationality and that's why he hasn't signed yet?

I dunno, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves in terms of the young props coming through. Like, how many genuinely competitive props have the combined provinces produced in the last 7/8 years? Now we're talking like 5 or 6 guys are going to come out of just the Leinster academy in the next two years? It's optimistic to say the least.

As it stands, Leinster are going to have Nacewa and possibly VDM as NIQs next season (with possibly a second-row to come in), we'll be a lot better off than any of the other provinces so I don't think there should be any pressure to play McGrath ahead of VDM for political reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement