Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It also means we could field a 1st team of: 1. Healy 2. Strauss 3. Ross 4. Cullen 5. Hines 6. O'Brien 7. Jennings 8. Heaslip 9. Boss 10. Sexton 11. Fitzgerald 12. D'Arcy 13. O'Driscoll 14. Nacewa 15. Kearney

and a SECOND STRING of:

1. Van Der Merwe 2. Cronin 3. Hagan 4. O'Donoghue 5. Toner 6. McLoughlin 7. Ryan 8. Ruddock 9. Reddan 10. Madigan 11. Carr 12. McFadden 13. O'Malley 14. Horgan 15. Conway

Surely Wright would be in the firsts or seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Surely Wright would be in the firsts or seconds?

Absolutely he would, and he's the reason Hagan should stay at Connacht for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah sorry, omitted Wright in my selections - I guess out of sight, out of mind, but of course, Wright would be at 3 in first string and Ross would go to second string, making it all the more formidable actually.

As for Hagan, I'd love to see him come back. If not for next season, then the following season. I think a lot has changed in Leinster since Schmidt came in and I think he could be a big player in a big European side, and with Wright probably only having a season or so left in him, Hagan could quickly climb the pecking order (Ross is no spring chicken either - Himself and Maguire would be long term options).

Berne, I really did think about it, and maybe I'm being over-zealous in my decision to release him, and was actually the one part of the squad I looked at as possibly being poor for depth. But I just think Berne staying on may hold back the other lads. Madigan and McKinley aren't a million miles off each other, and I think given some extended game time in the Magners next season could really see one of them come good. It would probably be safer to keep Berne on, but I still think I'd take a chance on the 2 young lads as cover. Berne has been a very good servant, but I think the squad is so solid elsewhere, that I'd really try and develop options at 10 over the season.

If Keatley had come back, it would have been excellent cover with Sexton, Keatley and Madigan - but I don't think Keatley has been any better than average and after a quick rise, his career has stalled somewhat - this may, and probably will, change when Munster & O'Gara get their hands on him.

But I think for sheer ability, Madigan could be a whole lot better, and I'd look to develop that quickly.

I also think next season would be important to blood Sherrif and Ruddock Snr in the senior squad, as we need to explore second row options long term. But it's tough to not be very happy with the squad at present, and I guess I've always been the type of supporter who's looked for management to develop a young squad and give youth a chance and be a bit more daring and experimental with teams, and I have to say, from my own point of view, it's been a breath of fresh air with Schmidt in charge, as it was one thing that frustrated the crap out of me with Cheika - he'd bring young players through, but was sooooo cautious and did it over such an extended period of time, I love how Schmidt just threw O'Malley in the centre away to Clermont (a call I was even dubious about, prefering a Berne / D'Arcy centre partnership) and it really paid off for him.

I hope he continues showing faith in the young lads and I hope they keep rewarding his trust in their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Yeah sorry, omitted Wright in my selections - I guess out of sight, out of mind, but of course, Wright would be at 3 in first string and Ross would go to second string, making it all the more formidable actually.

I actually think that Ross would be fairly likely to remain as 1st choice TH. He's had the job all season so far and has been excellent. Wouldn't be surprised if the starting front row was Healy, Strauss, Ross, to be replaced en masse around 55 minutes by Van Der Merwe, Cronin, Wright. Then again, who knows which of those players will force their way into the starting front row.

When Stan got injured I think they said he'd be back in the New Year, I'd love to get an update on this. Having him back in the HC squad for this year would be great as Newlands doesn't exactly instill confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i think wright has had a setback and wont be ready till march now. :(

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/wright-blow-for-leinster-2465692.html

Yup. Thank god Ross has stepped up this season.

RuggieBear wrote: »

Take your time Stan! Would rather we get him back absolutely 100% than a rush job.

Has been Leinster's undercover most important player for 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I also think next season would be important to blood Sherrif and Ruddock Snr in the senior squad, as we need to explore second row options long term.

I thought Ciaran Ruddock was the younger brother.

Morf wrote: »
    I thought Ciaran Ruddock was the younger brother.

Older, and from what I hear and have seen, less talented brother. Rumour mill spewed out that he was only brought over as a kind of sweetener to convince Rhys to join - take from that what you will.

I also think next season would be important to blood Sherrif and Ruddock Snr in the senior squad, as we need to explore second row options long term.

I was thinking about this myself today. If Hines, Cullen and Toner all go to the World Cup, who would our starting 2nd rows be? Galarza will be gone by then.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this myself today. If Hines, Cullen and Toner all go to the World Cup, who would our starting 2nd rows be? Galarza will be gone by then.

If Galarza isn't gone he'll be with Argentina anyway. Sheriff and Hogan?

CouchSmart wrote: »
    If Galarza isn't gone he'll be with Argentina anyway. Sheriff and Hogan?

Or O'Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Question for Leinster fans: do you think Kevin McLaughlin would be a long term option at second row?

Leinster have incredible quality in the back row, and the Ospreys experiement to turn Ryan Jones into a second row seems to be working okay. I think they've explained the switch as being due to his lineout ability and his mobility being suited to the new law interpretations.

Might that work for McLaughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

HEINEKEN CUP 2010 / 2011 (All kick-offs LOCAL time)

SATURDAY 15 JANUARY, 2011
    Pool 2 Leinster v Saracens 13.30

FRIDAY 21 JANUARY, 2011
    Pool 2 Racing Metro 92 v Leinster 21.00

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/13444.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

ambid wrote: »
    Question for Leinster fans: do you think Kevin McLaughlin would be a long term option at second row?

Leinster have incredible quality in the back row, and the Ospreys experiement to turn Ryan Jones into a second row seems to be working okay. I think they've explained the switch as being due to his lineout ability and his mobility being suited to the new law interpretations.

That's actually a pretty good thought. How tall is he? It seems like these days with Lawes/Whitelock/Jones, that an athletic second row is the way to go. He knows how to work a line-out seeing as he was regularly used. I don't see the harm in throwing him in there much like they did with Jones. If he sucks at it, sure at least you know and then just put him back at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

ambid wrote: »

Maybe, at 6ft 4 hes an inch or two too small but if they've other lineout options then they'd be OK there.

Kevin McLaughlin trained with the Leinster squad on Wednesday as he continues his rehabilitation from a knee injury sustained in May.

Leinster are hopeful that he will be involved for this weekend's Magners League game with Connacht in the RDS.

The Ireland back-row forward will undergo further fitness tests this week and a decision on his availability will be made on Friday.

Eoin O'Malley (rib), Nathan Hines and Richardt Strauss, who were rested on Monday evening against Ulster, are in contention for selection.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/magnersleague/2010/1229/mclaughlink.html

McLaughlin will have some task on his hands trying to get back into the side.

It'd be great to see Kev back this weekend! He'll probably start on the bench. Leinster's depth continues to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

McLaughlin will have some task on his hands trying to get back into the side.

agree - but mclaughlin when fit is an incridbly intelligent player - i dont think i ever seen him make a mistake - superb addition to a good squad.

Second row , mat be a good idea, i often wonder about Toners strength

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Just looking at magners table, Leinster getting into a good position.

7 out of 11 remaining games at home, we have yet to play aironi, next two gAmes at home. I think a home semi is realistic proposition now. If we can win at home , scrape the odd bonus away and do a job on aironi we'll be ok.

Munster also have enough wins in the bag for a home semi, despite their current problems. If they go out of the HEC they might make damn sure they win the magners. Alternatively they might use the second half of the season to develop the 'younger' guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

profitius wrote: »
    Maybe, at 6ft 4 hes an inch or two too small but if they've other lineout options then they'd be OK there.

He is the same height as Nathan Hines I think, having seen them standing beside each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Assuming Munster hold on to first (as tends to happen when a team of the quality of Munster pull away into an early lead), second is as good as first for us, as if we finished first or second, the final would still be in the Aviva v Munster whether or not they go through (as they will play "home" game in Aviva as IRFU look to make money, or if they lose, we have first choice on final as top league placed team in final), so second is good enough.

I think we've dropped some really bad points in early season, but will make up for it in head to heads and will hopefully be chasing a double again this season (all be it ending last season empty handed...)

As for Ruddock bro's, Rhys is the younger brother, but first to break through.

Second row, McLoughlin is definitely an option, good lineout operator and physical ball carrier with great work rate. I think the modern game has made the old second row option more obsolete (the Toner type player unfortunately) who is great in the lineout but not great around the park, McLoughlin would be great in the second row, especially with O'Brien stepping up so well to cover 6 and Dom Ryan and Ruddock in waiting as backup, it really would add formidable grunt and depth to the pack after Cullen & Hines go. I think a Toner / McLoughlin second row pairing could work really well.

We're only at mid-season now though, and although things have come together really well after a terrible start, nothing is won in 2010, we've got a long road ahead to capture trophies, but I think a trophy a season is a realistic goal for Leinster in the foreseable future, and hopefully we can do what Munster failed to do, by capitalising on a great squad by racking up the Heineken Cups over the next few years. (easier said than done!! But Munster were good enough to win 4 or 5 Heineken Cups in the past decade, but only landed two...I say only as the squads put out by Munster then and Leinster now are so strong).

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    He is the same height as Nathan Hines I think, having seen them standing beside each other.

Hines is 6"7 and Kev is 6"4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I think Toner is underrated outside of the lineouts. He carries well, has a decent workrate, good hands, is smart, a decent defender. He's about 19st and isn't that easy to push aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

jolley123 wrote: »
    Hines is 6"7 and Kev is 6"4

if thats based on web site profiles - i'd say there dodgy - certainly Kev looked same height as Leo in person

thebaz wrote: »
    if thats based on web site profiles - i'd say there dodgy - certainly Kev looked same height as Leo in person

I'll take your word for it. I imagine they would be similar in height. I mean Cullen is stated as 6"6 so that isn't such a stretch from 6"4. Ryan Jones is 6"5.

IrishTimes wrote:
    Schmidt explained that several players who were involved at the Ireland training camp yesterday afternoon and again this morning would be released to play for Leinster at the weekend. This would include players like Seán O’Brien, Mike Ross, Leo Cullen and Eoin Reddan. Brian O’Driscoll isn’t available, while Jamie Heaslip and Gordon D’Arcy won’t feature either.

Interesting that we won't be getting some (all) our front line Irish players back for the weekend. I assume Healy and Sexton can be added to D'Arcy, Drico and Heaslip?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1230/1224286488361.html

Nice!! that means we might see O'Malley and McFadden tear it up again. I'd imagine he'll give Ruddock another go aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

thebaz wrote: »

On the IRFU website they are bang-on.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement