Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would like to see VDM stay. I think its more likely he will than he won't.

Then again if he stays and plays ahead of McGrath I'd be a little disappointed. Maybe he knows he could well be relegated to 3rd choice next season by virtue of his nationality and that's why he hasn't signed yet?

I dunno, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves in terms of the young props coming through. Like, how many genuinely competitive props have the combined provinces produced in the last 7/8 years? Now we're talking like 5 or 6 guys are going to come out of just the Leinster academy in the next two years? It's optimistic to say the least.

As it stands, Leinster are going to have Nacewa and possibly VDM as NIQs next season (with possibly a second-row to come in), we'll be a lot better off than any of the other provinces so I don't think there should be any pressure to play McGrath ahead of VDM for political reasons.
    Coaching and development has improved significantly. That is why we've got more guys coming through now than ever. Obviously not all of them will cone through, but some of them will hopefully. Tracy for example absolutely destroyed the South African TH at last year's JWC. Furlong was extremely young and looked dominant against highly rated LHs.

Just because we've failed to produce props in the past doesn't mean we will now.

And McGrath shouldn't start for political reasons, he should play for squad development reasons. A young IQ guy who came through our academy, captains the As and has scrummaged extremely well at ML level. He should be given more chances than an NIQ for our own reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Jamie Roberts just tweeted that he's getting an operation on Thursday, means he's out for the weekend.

Just saw another Blues tweet saying he'll be out for six months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Confirmed by Blues that it's 6 months: http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5790.php

First Warburton, now Roberts, two massive massive players to lose coming in to a game like this...Bad timing too, with another option at 12, Henson, getting fired this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So who's at inside center for them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just heard that Roberts news, myself. Apparently, he's been injured for quite a while now and played the entire 6 Nations hurt.

Who exactly do Cardiff have to play IC now that Roberts is out and Henson is sacked?

Cardiff can go 1 of 2 ways on Saturday. Play well above themselves in defiance of their poor form and injuries, or go into the game already beaten and lose by about 30.

No Roberts
    No Warburton
    No Henson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The more things seem to go our way, the more terrified I am it's all going to go wrong.

Surely we can't lose this? Surely..

.ak wrote: »
    So who's at inside center for them then?

Gavin Evans, a poor mans Roberts. Basically a big bosh merchant to try and punch holes for LuaLua to run through. Munster will be watching how that pair got on with interest I'd imagine. ;)

Clegg wrote: »
    Just heard that Roberts news, myself. Apparently, he's been injured for quite a while now and played the entire 6 Nations hurt.

Who exactly do Cardiff have to play IC now that Roberts is out and Henson is sacked?

Cardiff can go 1 of 2 ways on Saturday. Play well above themselves in defiance of their poor form and injuries, or go into the game already beaten and lose by about 30.

No Roberts
    No Warburton
    No Henson

From what Roberts was saying in his interview, it's clear that Cardiff are looking this as their biggest match this season, I'd warrant they'll give 110% - any team with that mentality can turn the biggest teams. We'll need to be clinical and be looking to cut off any sort of running attack - I think most of our attack will stem from loose play and counters based on the fact it'll be a Cardiff team with unfamiliar players in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

From what Roberts was saying in his interview, it's clear that Cardiff are looking this as their biggest match this season, I'd warrant they'll give 110% - any team with that mentality can turn the biggest teams. We'll need to be clinical and be looking to cut off any sort of running attack - I think most of our attack will stem from loose play and counters based on the fact it'll be a Cardiff team with unfamiliar players in and out.

Yeah, but saying that and executing on it are two very different things. Blues have been playing like drains all season; effectively with no head coach, and you'd have to imagine morale is pretty low...

Famous last words i know, buy that +12 handicap looks dangerously underestimated :D

Yeeeerow. We won Blue Magic's competition for VIP passes for the game on Saturday. Didn't realize how good the prize was.. Fair play BoI! We get Leinster's Hospitality Passes for the President's Terrace. Has anyone ever been at the hospitality things at Aviva? Pretty intrigued about it now. Must resist temptation to make an absolute fool out of myself though... :D

• Advertisement

Yeeeerow. We won Blue Magic's competition for VIP passes for the game on Saturday. Didn't realize how good the prize was.. Fair play BoI! We get Leinster's Hospitality Passes for the President's Terrace. Has anyone ever been at the hospitality things at Aviva? Pretty intrigued about it now. Must resist temptation to make an absolute fool out of myself though... :D

Yeah, it's a bitch to find though, first time we went to it we got lost and missed the entire game. If you want to share the other ticket I can show you where it is?

poker_face_meme.jpg

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a bitch to find though, first time we went to it we got lost and missed the entire game. If you want to share the other ticket I can show you where it is?

poker_face_meme.jpg

:D

Sorry dude. Next time maybe! We used up all our tickets given. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Clegg wrote: »

No Roberts
    No Warburton
    No Henson
    Hard to not carried thinking a win's all but guaranteed now with those injuries and the beating they took at the weekend too.
    Still, a wounded animal is the most dangerous (or something like that) so the Blues will be looking for an upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would definitely seem players aren't too happy in Cardiff. Laulala has come out on Twitter after Henson being sacked: "It wasn't bad at all. Been blown out of proportion. Club are just amateurs dealing with things".

Ouch.

GerM wrote: »
    Would definitely seem players aren't too happy in Cardiff. Laulala has come out on Twitter after Henson being sacked: "It wasn't bad at all. Been blown out of proportion. Club are just amateurs dealing with things".

Ouch.

Cringe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ouch.

Things must have been bad to convince him to move to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ouch.

Ah hang on. He went out drinking after the game, that's fair enough, but he stayed out til 5am, i.e. probably just came back to the hotel, grabbed his gear and went to the airport and then resumed drinking? A week before the biggest match of Cardiff's season?
    If they didn't sack him, they had to at least suspend him and considering their season could be over by 7.30 on Saturday, what's the difference?

Laulala obviously has a limited time left at Cardiff but he's out of line there (assuming it's genuinely him). If the players are/were so concerned for Henson, why did none of them look after him better in Glasgee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

He has deleted the Tweet now but it's interesting; there are people like Robin McBryde, forwards coach to the national side, commending him for speaking out in support of Henson. Welsh rugby is untouchable in its ability to implode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I would like to see VDM stay. I think its more likely he will than he won't.

Then again if he stays and plays ahead of McGrath I'd be a little disappointed. Maybe he knows he could well be relegated to 3rd choice next season y virtue of his nationality and that's why he hasn't signed yet?

McGrath is only 23, I mentioned before that Leinster should set up a feeder club. For the prop role you need experience and age. McGrath is still young, no where near HC ready. Would liek to see VDM stay!!!!

Ouch.

Not to go too off topic, but he obviously doesn't give a sh*t as he's off at the end of the season, and given the tweet has been deleted, I reckon the club told him to do that, but wont take any action.

Henson was made a bit of a scapegoat anyway after the hammering, and was probably brought in under the condition that any of your old antics and you're out of here, no warnings, and that's what happened. He's a disruptive influence if he's allowed stay on and behave like that, especially given his reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

He has deleted the Tweet now but it's interesting; there are people like Robin McBryde, forwards coach to the national side, commending him for speaking out in support of Henson. Welsh rugby is untouchable in its ability to implode.

That's a parody account of McBryde. Why anyone would bother doing that, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

That's a parody account of McBryde. Why anyone would bother doing that, I have no idea.

Some Welsh student clearly REALLY does not want to study for his exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

you post on boards yet are surprised people troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Big Nelly wrote: »
    McGrath is only 23, I mentioned before that Leinster should set up a feeder club. For the prop role you need experience and age. McGrath is still young, no where near HC ready. Would liek to see VDM stay!!!!

a feeder club? what's wrong with the A team and the AIL?

the IRFU need to get the finger out and have the AIL working properly, ie 2 divisions of 8 teams, with 4 provincial league winners entering a round robin for qualification to 2nd AIL division.

IRFU then need to make sure, fringe provincial, dev & academy players are all playing regularly in the AIL.

As it stands the AIL is a good place for young props to learn their trade. A trip down to play young munster or dolphin in the p1ssing rain where all the opponents want to do is scrum is a great way for younger players to learn and develop.

bamboozle wrote: »
    a feeder club? what's wrong with the A team and the AIL?

the IRFU need to get the finger out and have the AIL working properly, ie 2 divisions of 8 teams, with 4 provincial league winners entering a round robin for qualification to 2nd AIL division.

IRFU then need to make sure, fringe provincial, dev & academy players are all playing regularly in the AIL.

As it stands the AIL is a good place for young props to learn their trade. A trip down to play young munster or dolphin in the p1ssing rain where all the opponents want to do is scrum is a great way for younger players to learn and develop.

Nothing wrong with AIL, I didn't mention what this would be, if in Ireland or where. I have mentioned before it would be worthwhile get into with club in Southern Hemipshere, send over some players for a year and get them used to game over there and then come back. Could be worthwhile for Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with AIL, I didn't mention what this would be, if in Ireland or where. I have mentioned before it would be worthwhile get into with club in Southern Hemipshere, send over some players for a year and get them used to game over there and then come back. Could be worthwhile for Ireland as well.

I think the AIL option is more practical and feasible, imo.

Ironic that the provincial bandwagons could go full-circle and actually start strengthening the club game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What a disaster Cardiff's trip to Glasgow was! They get hockeyed, Rabo prospects disappear, one player sacked and a key player gets hurt.

What a disaster Cardiff's trip to Glasgow was! They get hockeyed, Rabo prospects disappear, one player sacked and a key player gets hurt.

Its one of those days that you look back at and say "I just should of rung in sick"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ouch.

Henson is an easy target if you want to reduce your wage bill this season as with the salary cap he more than likely would not have been offered a new contract for next season.

The rumour, and it is just a rumour, is that Henson was drunk and throwing ice cubes at people. What people I dunno but it's not as severe as pissing in the aisle or trying to open the door mid air. How many ice cubes could he have thrown? I'm guessing not many. Stupid yes, a fireable offence, I'm not so sure.

Cardiff have a poor home attendance in the Cardiff City Stadium so that's a financial strain. Also if I remember right they may have to pay rent on it even when they use the Cardiff Arms. I'm not a 100% sure on this though. Either way their books can't be too healthy and not having to pay Henson for the rest of his contract would be benefical to the Blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Henson is an easy target if you want to reduce your wage bill this season as with the salary cap he more than likely would not have been offered a new contract for next season.

The rumour, and it is just a rumour, is that Henson was drunk and throwing ice cubes at people. What people I dunno but it's not as severe as pissing in the aisle or trying to open the door mid air. How many ice cubes could he have thrown? I'm guessing not many. Stupid yes, a fireable offence, I'm not so sure.

Was he not on a pay as you play deal? I seem to remember something about that, but it could easily have been with one many other teams he's played for recently. If it was with Cardiff I can't imagine he's a massive burden salary wise.

Also the ice cubes are really just the tip of the iceberg, pun most certainly intended. He was out drinking until 5am the week before a HC QF... that's just unacceptable. Coupled with his past history and reputation I would imagine he was on a zero tolerance deal with regards to his behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement