Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Time will tell!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think BOD being who he was didn't help i.e. he was being pulled in all directions at once. I think he was on the IRUPA players council thing at the time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd say Heaslip, based on the fact that he's been given the duties recently.

But I still think Cullen will be captain next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

nacewas not just a back three. he's a freak and can play every position. i love when you see him in around the fringes making tackles like against montpellier. Just dives at the opposition ankles.completely fearless.

has to be mclaughlin as captain for me though in magners league games at least. perfect temperment. he should feature in all games whether as a second row or as a back row at some stage.

odriscoll is always the captain though in the players and fans minds even when hes not designated as the captain. its not like we're lacking leadership anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I really don't think it'll be someone on a central contract. They'd be away so much.

Really?

I wouldn't want anyone else other than POC as Munster captain but MOD had always done a fine job when called upon as captain, the players have always commended his captaincy abilities.

Heaslip as overall captain with someone like Jennings during the international window could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I seem to remember a ref (it was sometime this year or last) telling Duffy that he wasn't going to wait for a full back to run up and back every time he needed to talk to the captains.

Can't remember what game it was though, but looks like having a captain in your back three can p1ss some refs off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I seem to remember a ref (it was sometime this year or last) telling Duffy that he wasn't going to wait for a full back to run up and back every time he needed to talk to the captains.

Can't remember what game it was though, but looks like having a captain in your back three can p1ss some refs off
    Yeah I remember that, the referee in question just treated Muldoon as captain for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I reckon Cullen will be captain next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

ambid wrote: »
    So according to the latest ezine, Leinster are holding an open training session next week in Donnybrook. Does anybody know if it's possible to watch their normal training sessions, and where those normal sessions are held (somewhere around UCD I think)?

their normal sessions are held in UCD in a back pitch called thornfield that has recently been redeveloped. Its right beside the back of riverview and can be entered through beechill estate or through UCD. Its also near to the new training base office and gym in the old philips building in ucd. They also train on the rugby astroturf in UCD and I understand they have a new astroturf up beside the clonskeagh entrance to UCD. the training sessions are private but ive been walking by a few times and stopped to watch - nobody will say anything to you as long as its not a big crowd. Theres usually a lot of players you wont recognise. academy players and A players from Ail who have been brought up to train and sub academy young lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

roycon wrote: »

odriscoll is always the captain though in the players and fans minds even when hes not designated as the captain. its not like we're lacking leadership anyway
    Could not disagree more; can't speak for players, obviously, but I think Cullen has been immense as captain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd say there's another season left in Cullen and he'll be captain next year, but with Joe, you never know...

The obvious candidate is Heaslip, dark horses for me would be Sexton, Strauss or O'Brien.

PRO12 Captain / leader when internationals are away would be Jennings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'd say there's another season left in Cullen and he'll be captain next year, but with Joe, you never know...

The obvious candidate is Heaslip, dark horses for me would be Sexton, Strauss or O'Brien.

PRO12 Captain / leader when internationals are away would be Jennings.

Ruddock seems to get the captaincy nod quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    Ruddock seems to get the captaincy nod quite a bit.
    Joe seems to like backrowers as captain imo

Heaslip, SOB, Ruddock, McLaughlin and Jennings have all captained the side under Joe Schmidt.

C Ruddock and Ryan have both captained the A side under Joe.

I think Nacewa and Cullen are the only players who don't play in the backrow to captain the side and McGrath is the only non backrower to captain the As.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

So Sean o Brien is tweeting pictures of his calves.

I have a lot of manlove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

durkadurka wrote: »
    So Sean o Brien is tweeting pictures of his calves.

I have a lot of manlove.

I thought something totally different when you said calves. Shows how much of a ladyboy I am.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

roycon wrote: »
    their normal sessions are held in UCD in a back pitch called thornfield that has recently been redeveloped. Its right beside the back of riverview and can be entered through beechill estate or through UCD. Its also near to the new training base office and gym in the old philips building in ucd. They also train on the rugby astroturf in UCD and I understand they have a new astroturf up beside the clonskeagh entrance to UCD. the training sessions are private but ive been walking by a few times and stopped to watch - nobody will say anything to you as long as its not a big crowd. Theres usually a lot of players you wont recognise. academy players and A players from Ail who have been brought up to train and sub academy young lads.

There's a new pitch developed for Leinster on the right as you come in the Clonskeagh gate. Don't think they use Thornfield any more. Much of a muchness really, you'll find it if you jog up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

not sure if its been mentioned here but i read in the guardian that Michael Chieka is being targettined by Bath as replacement for Geech.

Cant see it happen, backward move for Cheika

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bamboozle wrote: »
    not sure if its been mentioned here but i read in the guardian that Michael Chieka is being targettined by Bath as replacement for Geech.

Cant see it happen, backward move for Cheika
    Cheiks may just want out of French rugby!

I'd like to see Cheika spend 5 years as Stade like he did at Leinster. He's already brought them from a battling relegation side from last season and almost a Europena trophy to a battling for play-off side this season still in contention for a European trophy.

It's been a long time since Stade were challenging for trophies.

I think he's the man to bring them back to their former glory. (and do a similar job that he did with Leinster).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

How well are Stade doing financially this year after being on the brink last year, does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Not too sure, but just looked at their squad which has 22 foreign players and 23 French qualified players, so pretty much a half and half split with imports, which can't be great for the coffers. They could use some serious investment in academy players.

A lot of those players are pretty aged too, so they could look to gradually do a clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Cardiff are really going to have their asses handed to them on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Leinster7 wrote: »
    Cardiff are really going to have their asses handed to them on Saturday

Things are looking that way. Even on their fan forums they seem to agree. But please, don't jinx it - last thing I want to see it comments like this quoted on these forums on Sunday, wondering where it all went wrong.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

.ak wrote: »
    Things are looking that way. Even on their fan forums they seem to agree. But please, don't jinx it - last thing I want to see it comments like this quoted on these forums on Sunday, wondering where it all went wrong.... :(

Everything is falling into place for Leinster, a loss would be a giant upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Everything is falling into place for Leinster, a loss would be a giant upset.

Here don't you start talking up Leinster yet. We're going to meet you in the final so you can start your underdog talk then :D

Leinster have never beaten Munster in Twickenham. I feel a win is definitely out of our reach. Congrats to Munster on their Heineken Cup win.

Yeah it's just nice to be a part of it, but Munster will be unbeatable at home in Europe, they haven't lost a game they cared about in Thomond for over 900 years and they are unmovable favourites. I'd be surprised if any bookies would even take money backing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

And sure don't they a have a flyhalf thats playing his best rugby in years?

ROG will be a brick wall in defence come Sunday, so he will.

I don't think Munster have ever lost to Leinster in England in the same year that a member of British royalty is celebrating their diamond jubilee. All the Leinster West-Brits must be distracted. Such a shame I really thought we were catching up to them.

Oh well, there's always next year.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

I don't think Munster have ever lost to Leinster in England in the same year that a member of British royalty is celebrating their diamond jubilee. All the Leinster West-Brits must be distracted. Such a shame I really thought we were catching up to them.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Don't forget, we also don't have an outhalf playing above international level.
    We don't really stand a chance when you think about it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement