Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

durkadurka wrote: »
    Only 14k turned up for the semi last year so I wouldn't worry about tickets.

Again this has been mentioned 1,000 times on here, the next weekend was Heino cup final and that is reason for low attendance.

THat is reason I didn't go last year. I will try and make it this year but have Heino cup final booked this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Potentially same scenario this year PLUS several thousands going to Bordeaux a fortnight before.

I reckon sparce attendance at semi with a good few showing up for potential final.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say that's one of the reasons for the 25% discount and for them going on sale without the away team being known. If you remember last year we blitzed Ulster in the league a few weeks before the Semi so there wouldn't have been much appetite for the Semi game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Potentially same scenario this year PLUS several thousands going to Bordeaux a fortnight before.

I reckon sparce attendance at semi with a good few showing up for potential final.
    I reckon a lot of big day occasional fans will show up at the semi this year. Last year they would have had 'their day out' at the SF stage of the HEC when we played Toulouse. They won't get that this year so will crawl out of the woodwork for a Pro12 semi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Is likely to be against the decidedly unsexy Glasgow though. Last year it was the very marketable ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Is likely to be against the decidedly unsexy Glasgow though. Last year it was the very marketable ulster.

Unsexy? Pffft!

29ljn28.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Morf wrote: »
    Unsexy? Pffft!

Richie Gray is sitting down in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Glasgow who beat us at home in the lasgue this season...

If it goes Glasgow -> Ospreys, it'd be like when you fight the hardest bosses again at the end of a video game...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Ulster will rest 50%+ of their first team and even if we send up our b-side (who were sensational last Friday) we will win fairly easily. Schmidt has us peaking at just the right time. Clermont are going to be very disappointed in Bordeaux in a couple of weeks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Leinster7 wrote: »
    Ulster will rest 50%+ of their first team and even if we send up our b-side (who were sensational last Friday) we will win fairly easily. Schmidt has us peaking at just the right time. Clermont are going to be very disappointed in Bordeaux in a couple of weeks ;)

Nonsense. We're going to get hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

tolosenc wrote: »

by Clermont? lol. You are delusional son...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sssssh!! Don't tempt the mocker Gods. We'll be lucky if some of our players make it back alive. Clermont by 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

tolosenc wrote: »

You forgot the sarcasm font :)

Leinster7 wrote: »
    by Clermont? lol. You are delusional son...

I think you're delusional if you think we'll 'steamroll' them either.

Two best teams in Europe imo... no one will be steamrolling either... Provided both teams turn up on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

If anyone's level of French is up to it, there's quite a good tongue-in-cheek preview of the game on the Clermont fans website:
    http://www.cybervulcans.net/site/le-leinster-selon-lexil
    Plenty of motivational tools for Joe Schmidt, if he needs any more... Sexton is a pre-pubescent adolescent, Strauss eats children and it goes on like that. The most outrageous claim is the last one:
    "Joe Schmidt vs Vern Cotter : c’est Cotter qui aurait pu devenir coach des blacks, pas Schmidt qui l’aurait suivi pour être juste son adjoint. Pas de match sur ce coup…"
    It's Cotter who could have become All Blacks coach, not Schmidt who would have had to follow him just to be his assistant. No contest on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

It'll be close enough to the semi-final team. Ross has to play, we don't want him going into the Clermont game after a three-week break, Healy the same.

The second-row is where the real dilemma is, IMO. Toner was pretty impressive the other night, as he has been all season, but the Clermont pack is pretty big and with Cudmore and Hines in the second-row, there could well be an argument for Browne. I have no clue how Joe is going to play it.

I'm not sure there's any argument for parachuting Browne in for the biggest and most difficult match of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Cullen and Thorn to start. Toner to come on if needs be, with fresh legs he'll be fine against a tiring Hines and Cudmore. Hard to say how he'll do against them if he was starting.

Hines is the big worry for me after seeing how good he was for us. Also that clip where he holds down a few Ulster players including Ferris was impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

http://www.cybervulcans.net/site/le-leinster-selon-lexil

Is it a Star Trek or rugby fan site???:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I think Leinster are been clever, it is a good few weeks away so everyone will buy the tickets. If it was a week away or 2, which was when the tickets went on sale last year then it is closer to the date and everyone start worrying about cash and not been able to go to game etc etc

Take me, last year I didnt go because I was going to cardiff and didnt want the expense the week before the big match and I knew Leinster would be in final.

This year, not sure if Leinster are in final, going to HC final away, it seems weeks away, not worried about anything been on so bought my ticket. If Leinster make it to HC final I would say a lot of people will leave the semi. But if you sell the tickets now, nobody know if Leinster will make it so to be sure most season ticket holders will buy the tickets. Good way to fill the stadium and good thinking by Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I hate french, even chrome translate can't really make a good go of it however I did laugh at the below

wrote:
    Richard Strauss : good south af, former international, eater of children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Hippo wrote: »
    It'll be close enough to the semi-final team. Ross has to play, we don't want him going into the Clermont game after a three-week break, Healy the same.

The second-row is where the real dilemma is, IMO. Toner was pretty impressive the other night, as he has been all season, but the Clermont pack is pretty big and with Cudmore and Hines in the second-row, there could well be an argument for Browne. I have no clue how Joe is going to play it.

I'm not sure there's any argument for parachuting Browne in for the biggest and most difficult match of the season.

He's a fine player and knows the French game inside out. He was A beast over there and being honest him and Thorn starting with Toner off the bench would be perfect. Not going to happen tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

d-gal wrote: »
    He's a fine player and knows the French game inside out. He was A beast over there and being honest him and Thorn starting with Toner off the bench would be perfect. Not going to happen tho

I'm not saying he's not a good player but he's just not a frontliner in blue, and has barely featured in the HEC. I don't think he has had enough of the very top level stuff this season to justify selection for this game. Thorn will presumably take care of Hines as far as possible, and Leo is the captain. Toner deffo off the bench, he's been a revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hippo wrote: »
    d-gal wrote: »

I'm not saying he's not a good player but he's just not a frontliner in blue, and has barely featured in the HEC. I don't think he has had enough of the very top level stuff this season to justify selection for this game. Thorn will presumably take care of Hines as far as possible, and Leo is the captain. Toner deffo off the bench, he's been a revelation.
    Browne has started 3 games in the Heineken cup this season including both against Montpellier. Joe has shown he likes him playing against French opposition.

Although I don't think he'll play personally. If he is he has to be involved this weekend.

Really think the brilliant accusation of Thorn is going to be a major contributing factor to Leinster sneaking it in France

An already powerful pack had been made even stronger with his presence

He got through a sick amount of work in the quarter and seems to be improving with each game too

As a general rule of thumb I prefer Toner over Browne, but I think we'll see Cullen, Thorn and Browne for the Clermont match, as physicality and size will be key.

The team I'd like to see for Ulster would be

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Thorn, Cullen, McLaughlin, Jennings, O'Brien;
    Boss, Sexton, Fitzgerald, McFadden, O'Driscoll, Kearney, Kearney

Cronin, VDM, White, Browne, Auva'a, Reddan, Madigan, Carr/O'Malley

Rested: Heaslip, D'Arcy, Nacewa

Close to our semi pack minus Heaslip. O'Brien hasn't played 8 this season but maybe the extra carrying might whet his appetite! Start Boss, he'll be far more comfortable in Ravenhill. Rest D'Arcy, so McFadden is the best suited to deputise, Rest Isa and let the Kearney brothers play together. Bring Browne on early to get him rolling ahead of next week and Auva'a is there to cover 8.

Score a bunch of tries and get ready in style for the toughest game since 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Really think the brilliant accusation of Thorn is going to be a major contributing factor to Leinster sneaking it in France
    What's this about? :confused:

rrpc wrote: »
    What's this about? :confused:
    acquisition

acquisition

Dear jesus what a brain fart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dear jesus what a brain fart!
    Sorry I actually completely miswrote my quote

What I meant to say originally was