Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I say fair play to the OLSC for doing this. They're looking after the interests of Leinster supporters, which is what they exist to do. Just because other provinces might be getting worse coverage than Leinster doesn't mean that the OLSC shouldn't be pushing to get the best deal for their supporters. Other SCs are welcome to follow suit. Glad to see the OLSC not subscribing to the 'ah sure we could be doing worse so we'll leave it as it is' mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    14 games a season is not minimal coverage by any reasonable definition.

I said "If" and even then the main issue put forward was the away games.
    Which are either on Alba or S4C most weeks. Even Italian games sometimes get coverage.

More games broadcasted this season than ever before. Don't see the problem myself.

There's a fair old whiff of entitlement from the OLSC over this. Although all power to them. It would be nice if every game involving every province was televised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

No idea why the OLSC are shipping criticism for doing their job and trying to look after the interests of their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

GerM wrote: »
    No idea why the OLSC are shipping criticism for doing their job and trying to look after the interests of their members.

The OLSC are doing exactly the right thing, but they would have been coming from a stronger position if they liaised with the other SCs and got a joint issue raised.

GerM wrote: »
    They set up a childish boycott of RTE despite being the best covered sports team in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Which are either on Alba or S4C most weeks. Even Italian games sometimes get coverage.

More games broadcasted this season than ever before. Don't see the problem myself.

There's a fair old whiff of entitlement from the OLSC over this. Although all power to them. It would be nice if every game involving every province was televised.

Hmmm, regards to Alba / S4C, not everyone has access to these via terrestrial channels. I know I definately don't have Alba and can't get it via UPC (AFAIK), not sure about S4C.

But yeah, I do hope an offshoot of this will help to promote overage of the others. Taking Connaught for example, the 3 games referenced, I'm geussing they could of been inter pro's. So if it weren't for the other provinces there'd be no coverage there.
    They set up a childish boycott of RTE despite being the best covered sports team in the country.

Their outburst on Facebook at the start of the season wasn't too good at all alright and I felt it was fairly destructive to any efforts of the point they were trying to put across.

You don't have Alba or S4C, but a lot more didn't have access to Setanta, yet the OLSC seem to claim the Setanta deal made more games available to fans?

It depends how you look at it. Only Irish FTA broadcasts? Leinster are miles ahead. Any broadcast available in Ireland? Leinster are still being broadcasted more than ever before, a figure that will increase next season without competition from the rugby world cup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Aye, but to be honest, I'd see this sort of a demand as an indirect driver to bring forward coverage of the other provinces as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You don't have Alba or S4C, but a lot more didn't have access to Setanta, yet the OLSC seem to claim the Setanta deal made more games available to fans?

Not everyone has Alba or S4C. Setanta Ireland came with bog standard NTL and they always showed the games either live or with deferred coverage. So people were always able to see the games, and IIRC almost always same day. For the Glasgow and Aironi games in the RDS neither RTE or TG4 even sent a camera down to the thing. Unless you made the match you were never going to see it.

If you look at the coverage the following games were not shown by either broadcaster:
    02/09: Ospreys-Leinster (there were highlights shown later on RTE)
    17/09: Leinster-Glasgow
    01/10: Leinster-Aironi
    28/10: Edinburgh-Leinster
    02/03: Aironi-Leinster (not exactly RTEs fault though)

As I said earlier this all came from the start of the season where only 3 of Leinsters first 7 games were shown. The problem with the whole notion of us being better off now than we were under the Setanta deal is that with it being covered by 2 broadcasters you'd be hard pushed for the coverage to go down. It should be going up. But the fact that 2 games in 3 weeks were in no way shape or form televised really pissed a lot of people off. And rightly so.

We may be seeing more games live, but I'd wager we're seeing less games overall (I'm talking about RTE and TG4, not BBC Alba or S4C etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

here is the actual breakdown of games for Munster and Leinster this season (sorry Ulster and Connacht!)

Munster:
    Games played: 20
    RTE: 8
    TG4: 8
    Foreign Channels: 1
    Not shown: 3

Leinster:
    Games Played: 20
    RTE: 6
    Foreign Channels: 3
    Not Shown: 3

Both clubs are getting the same amount of coverage, however there seems to be a slight red bias in the RTE camp when it comes to picking games to broadcast*. (The 2 head to heads were split between TG4 and RTE)

*not sure if this difference is significant over this amount of games to get worked up about though

• Advertisement

^ I also imagine that there was something to do with the scheduling of the games as to why there's a RTE/TG4 disparity.

please no tinfoil hats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Both clubs are getting the same amount of coverage, however there seems to be a slight red bias in the RTE camp when it comes to picking games to broadcast*. (The 2 head to heads were split between TG4 and RTE)

Or maybe there is a blue bias in the TG4 camp. Both broadcasters have a certain number of weeks where they get first pick.

^ I also imagine that there was something to do with the scheduling of the games as to why there's a RTE/TG4 disparity.

please no tinfoil hats

Yeah I'd assume this myself. Don't think there's any bias there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

the only way to know is to go through the season and see who was playing who on each weekend. But then you'd also have to class which was the more "important match", which could be quite subjective, and different opinions would render the results meaningless.

However one thing is sure, later tonight when I'm watching the match (and inevitably arguing with my Munster mate) I will be sure to rub this outrageous RTE bias in his face:D!!!!

the only way to know is to go through the season and see who was playing who on each weekend. But then you'd also have to class which was the more "important match", which could be quite subjective, and different opinions would render the results meaningless.

However one thing is sure, later tonight when I'm watching the match (and inevitably arguing with my Munster mate) I will be sure to rub this outrageous RTE bias in his face:D!!!!

I think the point is that it depends on what time the game is on at and whether they can justify disrupting the programming at that time for the game. They have a responsibility to the non-rugby fans too so it is a bit of a balancing act regarding when they can show what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

here is the actual breakdown of games for Munster and Leinster this season (sorry Ulster and Connacht!)

Munster:
    Games played: 20
    RTE: 8
    Foreign Channels: 1
    Not shown: 3

Leinster:
    Games Played: 20
    RTE: 6
    Foreign Channels: 3
    Not Shown: 3

*not sure if this difference is significant over this amount of games to get worked up about though

Leinster had more games on RTE the year previous. You'd imagine that the reigning champions would warrant the most coverage and the better slots.

Friday evening matches on TG4 are horrible though. There is little less appealing than sitting through a dross Munster away game, in the rain, in Irish, after a long week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just FYI, Clermont are sending out pretty much the first team against Montpellier this evening (7.45 irish time). Regan King is back from injury, Bonnaire and Rougerie are rested, Malzieu on the bench.

Here's hoping for absolute carnage tonight, maybe a couple of not-too-serious-but-just-serious-enough-to-rule-a-few-guys-out-of-the-semi-final injuries...

15. Byrne
    14. Nakaitaci
    13. King
    12. Fofana
    11. Sivivatu
    10. James
    9. Parra
    1. Faure
    2. Kayser
    3. Zirakashvili
    4. Pierre
    5. Hines
    6. Vosloo
    7. Lapandry
    8. Vermeulen

http://www.asm-rugby.com/120419-compo.html

What's the craic with Skrela and Rougerie? Really hope James starts against us....Is Cudmore or Pierre likely to partner Hines anyone know? Would rather not have Hines AND Cudmore to deal with :/

They've some squad though...

Is this on Setanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Leinster had more games on RTE the year previous. You'd imagine that the reigning champions would warrant the most coverage and the better slots.

Friday evening matches on TG4 are horrible though. There is little less appealing than sitting through a dross Munster away game, in the rain, in Irish, after a long week.

Yeah i kinow what you mean; nothing worse than Munster on a Friday evening:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

[Jackass] wrote: »
    What's the craic with Skrela and Rougerie? Really hope James starts against us....Is Cudmore or Pierre likely to partner Hines anyone know? Would rather not have Hines AND Cudmore to deal with :/

Is this on Setanta?

Yes its on Setanta Sports 1 at 7:45 ko tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    Why don't you ask them?

Thanks

I dunno what you mean about "the impression you get around here." I haven't seen anyone claiming that Leinster have received less coverage than anyone else... Do you have an example of that?

I dont like the search facility on this site since it was improved so I'm not going to bother searching but certainly during the world cup there was talk on here about the imbalance in the broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Montpellier seem to be sending a weakened team to Clermont, or are they suffering injuries?

No Gorgodze or Trinh-Duc.

http://es.pn/IbYwtN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

[Jackass] wrote: »

Is this on Setanta?

Rougerie rested, Skrela injured but I think he'll be back for the SF. I think Cudmore is more likely to play against Leinster, it's a second-row that's not short on strength and aggression anyway...

It's live on Setanta 1, but if you only have Setanta ireland, set the box for 4am cos they're repeating it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Does anyone else think that Dom Ryan is a much better prospect than Ruddock?

Ruddock hasn't really kicked on this season and whenever Ryan had played he has been very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Clegg wrote: »

Ruddock hasn't really kicked on this season and whenever Ryan had played he has been very impressive.

They play in different positions so haven't really thought about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Clegg wrote: »

Ruddock was animal at start of season when Irish players where away. Him and Mr T along with Madigan/Fitz where running the show. Some great games from them. Have seen him a few times since and has been good but really shone at start of season. Still young so maybe just needs to build himself up for a full season. Real prospect and great to keep him out of Munster hands. Think his form suffered a bit from been moved around quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Not much sign of injuries tonight thank jaysus but I was wondering about the bandages in Fergus and d kearneys heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

durkadurka wrote: »
    Not much sign of injuries tonight thank jaysus but I was wondering about the bandages in Fergus and d kearneys heads.

Wore from start, seen that as well, there was a good few in Leinster colors with bandages, they sign a new sponsorship deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Wore from start, seen that as well, there was a good few in Leinster colors with bandages, they sign a new sponsorship deal?

Missus was wondering were they trying to keep them selves all pretty for the award bash tomorrow and wanting to keep their 'stylish' hairdoes secret till then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Maybe dorce started a trend last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hagz wrote: »
    They play in different positions so haven't really thought about it.
    Ryan and Ruddock are both 6's.

They have played in different positions this season but blindside is the position I've seen them most in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement