Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Good question actually. I thought originally they'd try and get it done in the off season, but a proper rebuild would presumably take at least a year. It would be a big inconvenience to have no stand there for a year and a big fall in revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Good question actually. I thought originally they'd try and get it done in the off season, but a proper rebuild would presumably take at least a year. It would be a big inconvenience to have no stand there for a year and a big fall in revenue.

Reduce ticket price and hope to attract a bigger crowd to Lansdowne Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Quint2010 wrote: »
    With a capacity of 23000 they could afford to lower prices making it more attractive to go to the game and still get the overall revenue up
    Not to mention that they're probably assuming that attendances will rise whenever the economy picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ambid wrote: »
    I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere but apparently the RDS stadium upgrade is going ahead. Capacity will rise to 23,000 and they are looking to sell naming rights for €17m.

Apparently the RDS has a "new state-of-the-art seating system". Does anyone know exactly what counts as a state-of-the-art seating system? :confused: We have seats with numbers so I guess that's it!

Hopefully this upgrade will be good news for Leinster.

http://http://www.herald.ie/news/leinsters-rds-arena-home-to-get-massive-17m-revamp-3088059.html
    It looks like a filler piece to me. No confirmation of when it will happen. I saw an article last summer that was pretty much the same as the first half of that article and had a line at the end 'of course any development is dependent on funding being secured from the sale of naming rights'.

I think it should happen and that Leinster Rugby could do with the extra capacity but I won't count on it till I hear about someone buying the naming rights.

I beleive that the state of the art seating system is the temporary stands that were bought a few years ago to expand the capacity to 18,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Nacewa coming up on I talk sport now repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think his technique is poor and has nothing to do with responsibilities or confidence to be honest. When he is required to make a one on one tackle he tends to just try and jump on the guy and always goes high. You very rarely see him go low and take a guy by the legs. Muller's try on Friday night is a good example. Muller while being a big guy is not known for his powerful running. Kearney was way too passive in the tackle by going high and hanging on and in the end it was more Muller tripping over Kearney that stopped him. If it was Tuohy instead of Muller he would have been blown away. It's at 1.40 on the clip below, Kearney is on the 5m line when he tackles Muller.

He is exposed less for Leinster as we are a better team in comparison to our opponents than Ireland and so Kearney is required to do less in defence. I think he also takes the wrong option in defence or reads what he has to do poorly.

I think Kearney is world class at the things he is good at (catching, kicking, running) but journeyman in the things he is bad at (tackling, defence, passing).

That try was Fitzgerald's fault, standing there waving like an eejit. Luke's not a bad defender because of one clip either though. Kearney was never going to stop Muller at that range at that pace. I could trawl through clips looking for examples of good tackles, but I won't - they wouldn't prove my point either. I just reckon that he isn't a liability for Leinster, the way some feel he is. The problem for Ireland is that he has bad again and again in defence.

I'm not saying Kearney is a great defender. He'll never be as good as Nacewa on that front. I just don't feel he is particularly bad for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

durkadurka wrote: »
    Nacewa coming up on I talk sport now repeat

Who is presenting this show? Eoin McDevitt is the official presenter but Kimmage is doing it all there. He's a bloody embarrassment. It's no wonder Isa looks so awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

molloyjh wrote: »
    Who is presenting this show? Eoin McDevitt is the official presenter but Kimmage is doing it all there. He's a bloody embarrassment. It's no wonder Isa looks so awkward!

He does a lot of irrelevant blathering. Quite irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

durkadurka wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »

He does a lot of irrelevant blathering. Quite irritating.

Talking about THAT spear tackle is a bit much. What does he want Isa to say. Get the f*** over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think his technique is poor and has nothing to do with responsibilities or confidence to be honest. When he is required to make a one on one tackle he tends to just try and jump on the guy and always goes high. You very rarely see him go low and take a guy by the legs. Muller's try on Friday night is a good example. Muller while being a big guy is not known for his powerful running. Kearney was way too passive in the tackle by going high and hanging on and in the end it was more Muller tripping over Kearney that stopped him. If it was Tuohy instead of Muller he would have been blown away. It's at 1.40 on the clip below, Kearney is on the 5m line when he tackles Muller.

He is exposed less for Leinster as we are a better team in comparison to our opponents than Ireland and so Kearney is required to do less in defence. I think he also takes the wrong option in defence or reads what he has to do poorly.

I think Kearney is world class at the things he is good at (catching, kicking, running) but journeyman in the things he is bad at (tackling, defence, passing).

You're using that video as an example for that point?? :eek: He was coming across to cover an overlap and was meeting a backrow forward at full tilt from 5 yards out whilst moving sideways... first of all, there is not a player in world rugby that has the strength to stop a 18 stone sprinting man from that range having the momentum to carry it over, but he instead goes for the ball, which he manages to dislodge, and there's a 50/50 call on if it's grounded....that is world class defence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

[Jackass] wrote: »
    You're using that video as an example for that point?? :eek: He was coming across to cover an overlap and was meeting a backrow forward at full tilt from 5 yards out whilst moving sideways... first of all, there is not a player in world rugby that has the strength to stop a 18 stone sprinting man from that range having the momentum to carry it over, but he instead goes for the ball, which he manages to dislodge, and there's a 50/50 call on if it's grounded....that is world class defence...

How about Sean O'Brien on Tuilagi in the Heineken 1/4?

A much faster man and arguably SOB wasn't able to get as much on the player in the tackle . . .

Should I post TOL shouldering Healy in the jaw to stop him dead 5 m out too?

It's very much possible to do but Kearney doesn't have great tackling technique and quite often over-runs the tackle when covering across etc. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The Angelsea stand needs to be upgraded. While they're at it, why not increase the capacity, better to do it all at once than in 5 - 10 years time when we hopefully will need it.

Rugby is only going to get bigger and Quint makes a good point, it will give them more of an opportunity to offer deals. It's been a great success so far and has gotten lots of new people through the door. I was sitting beside a guy at the Edinburgh game whose son had just taken up rugby. It was one of the cheap ticket deals that pushed him to bring his son to a game first. They've been to as many home games as they can since. That ~ €40 that Leinster originally lost on the tickets has been paid back multiple times in the extra games they've been to and merchandise they've bought. And they were having a great time. The dad didn't really know what was going on but he feckin loved it and cheered with the best of us.

Morf wrote: »

A much faster man and arguably SOB wasn't able to get as much on the player in the tackle . . .

It's very much possible to do but Kearney doesn't have great tackling technique and quite often over-runs the tackle when covering across etc. . .

Sean O'Brien weighs as much if not more than Tuilagi, and O'Leary wrapped his arm around Healys neck, which should have been a yellow minimum, far from lawful, whatttt are you talking about..

Kearney, who has been the best Leinster and Irish back for the last year, has nothing to worry about re defence....there's not a single Irish back who's been better this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Jackass wrote: »
    Morf wrote: »

Sean O'Brien weighs as much if not more than Tuilagi, and O'Leary wrapped his arm around Healys neck, which should have been a yellow minimum, far from lawful, whatttt are you talking about..

Kearney, who has been the best Leinster and Irish back for the last year, has nothing to worry about re defence....there's not a single Irish back who's been better this season...

Owens said on his twitter or Facebook or whatever after the game that TOL on Healy should have been a card and a penalty try.

You said a backrow (i think you meant lock here) couldn't be stopped from that far out. I pointed out two occasions where very quick players of similar weight were prevented from scoring tries from a similar distance.

Kearney's strength is not defence or tackling. I'm sure that's another good reason many people want Nacewa at FB. Kearney has been excellent this year but his defence/tackling doesn't meet the standards he's set elsewhere in his game.

danthefan wrote: »
    Owens said on his twitter or Facebook or whatever after the game that TOL on Healy should have been a card and a penalty try.

I very much thought so too. Jackass was arguing that a player of that weight couldn't be stopped at that distance and with that speed. I pointed out that it is possible (whether legal or not).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    That try was Fitzgerald's fault, standing there waving like an eejit. Luke's not a bad defender because of one clip either though. Kearney was never going to stop Muller at that range at that pace. I could trawl through clips looking for examples of good tackles, but I won't - they wouldn't prove my point either. I just reckon that he isn't a liability for Leinster, the way some feel he is. The problem for Ireland is that he has bad again and again in defence.

I'm not saying Kearney is a great defender. He'll never be as good as Nacewa on that front. I just don't feel he is particularly bad for Leinster.

I think for Leinster he's not exposed as much as he is or would be for Ireland. It may or may not have been Fitzgeralds fault but Kearney in my opinion should have done more. If he'd gone low he may not have stopped Muller either, I think he would have though, but as a full back he has to do more in defence.

Johann Muller is a second row and he's not known for his powerful running in the open or trucking it up.

I was using the clip to highlight Kearneys poor technique. I'm not sure if he was doing what you say either as 99% of the time he goes high in the tackle no matter who it is or where on the pitch they are.

What I would to have seen him done and would love for him to more often is to tackle around the legs. There is a reason why we're taught to tackle this way, it's very effective in stopping people no matter what size difference there is.

Ask yourself would Girvan Dempsey done what Kearney did or does?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

what did the citing officer say?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kearney's last man defence is easily the weakest part of his game, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

There was a moment when Ireland played France a few years back and Chabal had made a break, Kearney was last man and tried to show him the outside so that he would catch him and tackle him, showed him a bit too much and was struggling to catch him but had his blushes saved by Bowe who'd caught up with Chabal and made the covering tackle. Last man defence is definately a relatively weak point of his game but in fairness it doesnt show too often. I do think he could have done more for Mullers try, looked like he tried to do a soak tackle rather than being a bit braver and hitting Muller head on, Muller was always favourite to make the line in any case though.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »

Between Leinster and Munster?? There was none (until this or last season perhpas).

A stamp on a head (Hayes on Healy) is a ban until the next Heineken Cup game. Seeing as it has been IRFU controlled, there has been little to absolutely no consequences for illegal play until Celtic Rugby took over the discipline matters this or last season. (can't quite remember exactly when, but it used to be up to the union.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ha citing officer. If it should have been a yellow then the citing officer rightfully ignored it. It doesn't change anything. Owens said it should have been a penalty try, and it absolutely should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jm08 wrote: »

A citing can only happen for a red card offence. No citing does not equal no penalty. Please learn rules of rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

A citing can only happen for a red card offence. No citing does not equal no penalty. Please learn rules of rugby.
    A citing is automatic for a red card offence and can be made for any offence that the citing officer deems should have warranted a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

rrpc wrote: »
    A citing is automatic for a red card offence and can be made for any offence that the citing officer deems should have warranted a red card.
    That's what he said!

That's what he said!
    Nope he said it can only happen for a red card offence, implying that only red cards issued in a game merit a citing.

It needed to be clarified. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

rrpc wrote: »
    Nope he said it can only happen for a red card offence, implying that only red cards issued in a game merit a citing.

It needed to be clarified. ;)
    I assumed that he meant red card offence meaning any offence worthy of a red card.

I assumed that he meant red card offence meaning any offence worthy of a red card.
    This is boards, you can't assume anything or it'll be quoted back at you as fact :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Thanks Ciaran, that's exactly what I meant, but I think rrpc knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Ha citing officer. If it should have been a yellow then the citing officer rightfully ignored it. It doesn't change anything. Owens said it should have been a penalty try, and it absolutely should have.

He did not say it should have been a penalty try. It said it should have been a scrum for a knock on.
    says, I made a mistake in going to the TMO for the tackle on Healy in the Leinster v Munster match, I should have stuck with my original decesion and awarded the scrum for a knock on...... thank god it did not effect the result of the match....

3015http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nigel-Ref-Owens/285269013216?ref=ts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement