Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That's not why you start Reddan though. Reddan is our best 9 because our pack can secure the ball against most opposition. When they can't though Reddan gets very flustered and sloppy. Like against Glasgow, when Boss came on and improved things drastically.

Starting Reddan will give Clermont a target. Start Boss for 50 minutes and it doesn't give them that avenue in defense. You then control when Reddan enters the game and they won't be able to shift their tactics on the fly nearly as successfully. It means we then have our quickest half back on at a point in the game where he is more comfortable and against an ageing Clermont pack as well.

Just my opinion. I can understand the whole "forget their game, play ours approach," but I think its a little naive to think that will be succesful in France against French opposition. IMO, Reddan would be far more influential wearing 21 than 9.

Yeah I suppose I was really thinking we need to hit them early, and hard. Match them at the breakdown from the very off and generate that quick ball from the beginning. Tough to do alright, but if we want to win it we need to be doing it from the first minute. Don't give them a chance to settle. Looking back to last season and Shaggys try in the away fixture though that can be done equally well with Boss at 9 too.

I think I may need to take a break from boards for the next few days. Just thinking about this game has me a nervous wreck. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I didn't see it mentioned on this thread, but Gerhard Vosloo is out for the rest of the season after aggravating an adductor injury during the Montpelier match. His replacement Julien Bardy also went off with an elbow injury, but it's not known so far as to what the prognosis is.

Getting back to the Reddan/Boss discussion, the point is well made about Reddan not going well when the pack are under pressure, but having said that, I'm not sure that's going to be a major problem with Clermont. I only saw the second half of the Sarries/Clermont match and AFAIR, Sarries were able to gte the ball away quick enough. Mind you, they didn't know what to do with it once they had it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Has anyone seen much of Clermont this season?

I haven't but Matt Williams on The Breakdown yesterday was saying that they don't commit a huge amount of numbers to rucks and that Leinster need to use our maul more against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

rrpc wrote: »
    I didn't see it mentioned on this thread, but Gerhard Vosloo is out for the rest of the season after aggravating an adductor injury during the Montpelier match. His replacement Julien Bardy also went off with an elbow injury, but it's not known so far as to what the prognosis is.

Getting back to the Reddan/Boss discussion, the point is well made about Reddan not going well when the pack are under pressure, but having said that, I'm not sure that's going to be a major problem with Clermont. I only saw the second half of the Sarries/Clermont match and AFAIR, Sarries were able to gte the ball away quick enough. Mind you, they didn't know what to do with it once they had it...

Chatter on the Clermont forum is that Bardy will be ok, still some doubt over Zhirakashvili and given that Domingo is still out, it would be massive for Leinster if another prop bit the dust. Also, apparently Fofana can't finish out games, going off with cramp fairly regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Has anyone seen much of Clermont this season?

I haven't but Matt Williams on The Breakdown yesterday was saying that they don't commit a huge amount of numbers to rucks and that Leinster need to use our maul more against them.
    That bears out the impression I have from the Sarries match. They seem to put a premium on getting their defensive line set rather than trying to compete in the rucks.

It's still going to be tough but I think Reddan would be the better starter to generate mismatches with quick ruck ball and recycling. If he's going at full tilt, he won't last more than 60 minutes, but I always feel that Boss is the better impact sub of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

http://www.asm-rugby.com/120423-infirmerie.html

Bardy; examinations of his elbow strain "don't allow for much hope"

Skrela; "still too early to call it on his participation"

Bardy is a good player, but Clermont will still be able to send out a back row of Vermeulen, Lapandry and Bonnaire. I'd almost prefer to see Skrela playing than Brock James, but if Skrela is out, I don't even know who their back up OH would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

On the issue of who starts at 9, simply has to be Reddan

This whole thing of playing Boss away in the pool games is all well and good but Leinster need to take the game to Clermont and play the same expansive game that saw them destroy Cardiff

Reddan is the man for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

http://www.asm-rugby.com/120423-infirmerie.html

Bardy; examinations of his elbow strain "don't allow for much hope"

Skrela; "still too early to call it on his participation"

Bardy is a good player, but Clermont will still be able to send out a back row of Vermeulen, Lapandry and Bonnaire. I'd almost prefer to see Skrela playing than Brock James, but if Skrela is out, I don't even know who their back up OH would be.

Parra could slip in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

A couple of posters suggesting over on LF that it might be an idea to play Locky and Jenno, with SOB to come off the bench. Given the 3 players' actual form at the moment, I think there's something in this.

Edit: Sorry this is already under discussion, apologies...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I think we should start Reddan anyway. We tried to play a conservative game against Toulouse 2 years ago and look where that got us. Although Sextons broken jaw didn't help....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we should start Reddan anyway. We tried to play a conservative game against Toulouse 2 years ago and look where that got us. Although Sextons broken jaw didn't help....
    Not to mention the scrum falling apart...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I watched the Clermont vs Montpellier match and it was fairly attritional. Montpellier went there without some big names and managed to be competitive and within touching distance for 60 minutes or so. Clermont were upset with the early loss Vosloo who was replaced by Bardy who then went off. Vosloo's absence is a plus for Leinster as whenever I've seen Vosloo play he's been a proper nuisance for the opposition at the breakdown and is fearless in his tackling. Hines for me is a big threat, he was instrumental for Clermont's try; he grubber kicked through and although the defender gathered the ball, Clermont drove him off it and Paulo managed to come up with the ball and touch down with help from Hines. He was his usual self, holding players back, making offloads in the tackle, grabbing defenders jerseys at rucks and being a nuisance. His battle with Thorne promises to be epic.

Brock James' kicking from the tee was pretty solid too, he got a spell on the sidelines courtesy of a yellow for a high tackle and Parra took the kicks well in his absence. With both of them on the pitch I can't see Clermont missing many kicks come the weekend. James' seems particularly fond of up and unders in both defence and attack, Rougerie, Byrne and Malzieu are all big guys who are decent in the air and willing chasers. Luckily in Kearney and Nacewa we've two outstanding fielders of the high ball, they'll need to be at their best to contend with the barrage. Brock's style of play reminds me of ROG's. Kicking based and pragmatic, but on it's day super effective. Since our lineout has been the weakest facet of Leinster recently, I reckon we could see plenty of kicks to touch from Montpellier to test it. That could be a worry as Lapandry and Bonnaire especially are always capable of stealing lineouts.

The selection of our backrow is probably going to be key, and I'd wager that McLaughlin, Jennings and Heaslip will start, with SOB benching. Locky's will offer another lineout option; vital considering how our lineout has misfired at times, Jennings is just the ticket to slow down ball and with SOB can be unleashed from the bench to replace either of them depending on how the game unfolds. I'd also start Boss & VDM as they're our usual "away team" and having guys like Reddan and Healy to spring from the bench at 50 minutes will be key. If we're losing (or ahead) at that time then we need impetus, Boss and VDM aren't going to up the tempo and twist the knife as much as Reddan, Healy etc. can.

I can't bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

yimrsg wrote: »
    I watched the Clermont vs Montpellier match and it was fairly attritional. Montpellier went there without some big names and managed to be competitive and within touching distance for 60 minutes or so. Clermont were upset with the early loss Vosloo who was replaced by Bardy who then went off. Vosloo's absence is a plus for Leinster as whenever I've seen Vosloo play he's been a proper nuisance for the opposition at the breakdown and is fearless in his tackling. Hines for me is a big threat, he was instrumental for Clermont's try; he grubber kicked through and although the defender gathered the ball, Clermont drove him off it and Paulo managed to come up with the ball and touch down with help from Hines. He was his usual self, holding players back, making offloads in the tackle, grabbing defenders jerseys at rucks and being a nuisance. His battle with Thorne promises to be epic.

Brock James' kicking from the tee was pretty solid too, he got a spell on the sidelines courtesy of a yellow for a high tackle and Parra took the kicks well in his absence. With both of them on the pitch I can't see Clermont missing many kicks come the weekend. James' seems particularly fond of up and unders in both defence and attack, Rougerie, Byrne and Malzieu are all big guys who are decent in the air and willing chasers. Luckily in Kearney and Nacewa we've two outstanding fielders of the high ball, they'll need to be at their best to contend with the barrage. Brock's style of play reminds me of ROG's. Kicking based and pragmatic, but on it's day super effective. Since our lineout has been the weakest facet of Leinster recently, I reckon we could see plenty of kicks to touch from Montpellier to test it. That could be a worry as Lapandry and Bonnaire especially are always capable of stealing lineouts.

The selection of our backrow is probably going to be key, and I'd wager that McLaughlin, Jennings and Heaslip will start, with SOB benching. Locky's will offer another lineout option; vital considering how our lineout has misfired at times, Jennings is just the ticket to slow down ball and with SOB can be unleashed from the bench to replace either of them depending on how the game unfolds. I'd also start Boss & VDM as they're our usual "away team" and having guys like Reddan and Healy to spring from the bench at 50 minutes will be key. If we're losing (or ahead) at that time then we need impetus, Boss and VDM aren't going to up the tempo and twist the knife as much as Reddan, Healy etc. can.

I can't bloody wait.

Dropping SOB would be a massive call. I just can't see it happening. I think he will go with the same team that started against Cardiff save for maybe Boss for Reddan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

can't see O'Brien being dropped, and rightly so -

perhaps would like to see Ryan on the bench , big call given Jennings has done little wrong - spoilt for choice in the back row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

cant bring myself to drop obrien. hes key to the offloading gain line breaking game. healy and reddan have to start as well. mclaughlin has become too good to drop really. we just have to move them around as much as possible keep them on their toes. its not like an away group game last year at night in the freezing rain. it will be warm and dry - perfect for healy and reddan. reddan will definitely be started, healy possibly not and obrien will definitely be started. toner will feature

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Last year's away game was neither at night nor in the freezing rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

roycon wrote: »
    its not like an away group game last year at night in the freezing rain. it will be warm and dry - perfect for healy and reddan.

It's raining all week in Bordeaux and the temperatures aren't expected to move from between 12-19C. It's going to be very Irish weather over there. Would be very surprised if we went with anything different from the side that started against Cardiff. Bench is almost cast in stone too I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Last year's away game was neither at night nor in the freezing rain.

My bollocks still haven't dropped back down since the last home game

Think of it like this

Who would Clermont rather see running out for Leinster wearing 7, SOB or Jennings?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

yimrsg wrote: »

I can't bloody wait.

That would be a very dangerous tactic to be employing against Leinster with Kearney at FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

GerM wrote: »
    Bench is almost cast in stone too I would think.

Toner V Browne is probably the only call to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Toner V Browne is probably the only call to be made

Browne's lack of game time recently would suggest Toner is a cert for the bench imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Think of it like this

Who would Clermont rather see running out for Leinster wearing 7, SOB or Jennings?

Sure, they'd be scared of the SOB of a year ago. Not so much now maybe, and Jenno would make a real difference at the breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd like to see Jennings start tbh, I think Leinster are a better team with him in it. McLaughlin will almost certainly start though for the lineout if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Browne's lack of game time recently would suggest Toner is a cert for the bench imo.

Browne played both the B&I cup semi and the game against Edinburgh so isn't short of game time either

Surprised by the calls for SOB to be dropped!

It didn't go down well when the same call was made for Kidney to drop him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think it's the quality of replacement that's the difference.

Personally, I'd keep O'Brien at 6 and start Jennings at 7 with Heaslip at 8.

I know how good McLoughlin has been, but that's our best back-row imo.

Jennings' importance just can't be under stated, his link work and breakdown work is just so crucial to the Leinster game plan, and his slowing down of ball, turnover and choke tackles are priceless, but also some unseen work where he just pops up in broken play to move the ball along the line etc., he's just crucial.

I think Heaslip and O'Brien are superb at the breakdown and tackle area also, even if they haven't been making massive carries as of late.

McLoughlin brings a bit of everything, but I just feel the other 3 bring more in the areas we need them there for, other than lineout work. But I feel O'Brien and Heaslip could be used in the lineout more if needs be...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I just wonder is Schmidt thinking of a McLoughlin-Jennings-SOB back row?...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

We still get the best out of SOB at six.
    But we'll need lockys bulk in the first half I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Dropping SOB would be a massive call. I just can't see it happening. I think he will go with the same team that started against Cardiff save for maybe Boss for Reddan
    thebaz wrote: »
    can't see O'Brien being dropped, and rightly so -

perhaps would like to see Ryan on the bench , big call given Jennings has done little wrong - spoilt for choice in the back row
    roycon wrote: »
    cant bring myself to drop obrien. hes key to the offloading gain line breaking game. healy and reddan have to start as well. mclaughlin has become too good to drop really. we just have to move them around as much as possible keep them on their toes. its not like an away group game last year at night in the freezing rain. it will be warm and dry - perfect for healy and reddan. reddan will definitely be started, healy possibly not and obrien will definitely be started. toner will feature
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Surprised by the calls for SOB to be dropped!

It didn't go down well when the same call was made for Kidney to drop him!

Declan Kidney drops players.
    Joe Schmidt rotates players.

Big difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement