Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

yimrsg wrote: »
    Declan Kidney drops players.
    Joe Schmidt rotates players.

Big difference.

SOB has started every big game when fit for Schmidt

Same as Heaslip, BOD and Sexton

Some of the few that are nailed on starters

SOB not starting a HC semi would be dropping him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Is Munster away not considered a big game anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Agreed with this, it's the semi final of the HEC you don't "rotate" people in seconded biggest game in European cup rugby.

I'd say SOB is a nailed down starter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Correct. If SOB doesn't play against the Dragons, that's rotation. A guy who starts the HC QF but not the SF is dropped.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Declan Kidney drops players.
    Joe Schmidt rotates players.

Big difference.

Perhaps, but there is no rotation in a cup semi final.

Tactically, springing an angry SOB from the bench in the place of McLaughlin or Jennings (whichever has burnt himself into the ground) at 50 minutes with a fresh loose head would be a scary proposition for most teams to deal with.

Joe can't surprise me anymore, he's two steps ahead all the time. This game is going to be an absolute classic cup game I feel. Tactics will separate the teams. I've already nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Surprised by the calls for SOB to be dropped!

It didn't go down well when the same call was made for Kidney to drop him!

Very different dynamic between the Leinster back row and game plan and the Irish one. SOB is still an excellent player and a good openside but the Leinster game can be furthered by Jennings' current form. SOB hasn't been as good since the foot infection which forced him out of the Scotland game and he lost fair bit of weight. He hasn't managed the same level of consistency since for me. He was playing quite well before that and was excellent against France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Quint2010 wrote: »

Not the week before a quarter where SOB was nailed on to start and Leinster were already running away with the rabo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Quint2010 wrote: »

Unfortunately I think their positioning in the calendar pretty much has them as HEC warm up matches at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Or that it could be another player has performed better and deserves to start ahead of him. Or Schmidt is holding back an ace in reserve who covers all backrow positions better than Jennings and McLaughlin. It's pointless to get bogged down in nomenclature but for me it's not a case of a Schmidt dropping player X, rather that he has a plan which includes player Y.

I'd start McLaughlin as our lineout hasn't been good and Clermont could take it apart, plus his super form has pushed him into the reckoning. Starting Jennings over SOB is a coin toss. My gut feeling is that Schmidt will want to make an impact from the bench, guys like Healy, McFadden, Reddan and SOB would definitely up the intensity. Although Jennings introduction for McLaughlin would indirectly up the intensity by moving SOB to 6. TBH it's nearly a moot point.

I just like the idea of fresh SOB coming on running at a depleted Clermont backrow, which would (hopefully) in turn open up spaces and give a platform for our superior back play. Clermont's injuries to Vosloo and Pardy have probably given us an advantage in back row depth, one Leinster must exploit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

SOB is definitely going to start. I thought he was fairly poor against Ulster tbh but he will 100% start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

danthefan wrote: »
    SOB is definitely going to start. I thought he was fairly poor against Ulster tbh but he will 100% start.

There are only three possible changes in team selection from the qf.

He could decide to play the 'away team' ie VDM and Boss. And he could play Jennings at 7.

Personally I think he'll stick with the qf team. I think if we just try to match them for grunt we'll be beaten. We need to play our game and beat them with speed accuracy and cutting edge.
    He'll stick with locky for the first half I reckon.
    God I'm sh1tting it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I personally think SOB should start at 7 and I think he will. This game suits his skillset better than Jennings. And that has nothing to do with ball carrying, which isn't a big part of his game this season.

Jenno is my favourite player though so I feel odd going against him on this one. Id be delighted if he starts either. We have such brilliant options in the back row that Joe couldn't possibly pick a player that would disappoint me!

My team would include SOB, Boss and I'd have Toner on the bench. Although the bench lock position doesn't concern me too much.

Rest of the team is very nailed on...

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Thorn, Cullen, McLaughlin, SOB, Heaslip, Boss, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Nacewa, Kearney

Cronin, VDM, White, Toner, Jennings, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'll start the game.

My prediction at what he'll go for:

15. Kearney
    14. Nacewa
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    9. Reddan
    1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Thorn
    6. McLaughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Van der Merwe
    18. White
    19. Toner
    20. O'Brien
    21. Reddan
    22. Madigan
    23. McFadden

Only calls are 6/7 and 12 I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt Schmidted it and starting Jennings over O'Brien. It puts the onus on McLaughlin to carry as we won't have many big ball carries in the pack. At 12 D'Arcy has started all the big games and McFadden, to his detriment sometimes, covers the backline.

Browne played both the B&I cup semi and the game against Edinburgh so isn't short of game time either

True, but he hasn't been involved in a game of importance in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just praying the rain doesn't spoil the party...

I'm arriving in Bordeaux on the saturday, and there's supposed to be storms... Don't really care, so long as there's a spell of dry air for a few hours on the sunday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why, why, WHY did I just watch The Breakdown!? They just showed a few clips of Clermont in the Top 14. And I thought I was nervous before....Christ they look very, very, very good this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'll start the game.

My prediction at what he'll go for:

15. Kearney
    14. Nacewa
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    9. Reddan
    1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Thorn
    6. McLaughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Van der Merwe
    18. White
    19. Toner
    20. O'Brien
    21. Reddan
    22. Madigan
    23. McFadden

Only calls are 6/7 and 12 I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt Schmidted it and starting Jennings over O'Brien. It puts the onus on McLaughlin to carry as we won't have many big ball carries in the pack. At 12 D'Arcy has started all the big games and McFadden, to his detriment sometimes, covers the backline.

I see you solved the Reddan Dispute by playing him at both 9 and 21. A risky tactic to go with, Leinster's golden rule is that Reddan gets two brain farts a match, presumably the Reddan on the bench would also get two brain farts. We'll see if JS go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Jennings is long past his best, can't see him starting and I wouldn't be shocked to see Dom Ryan on the bench.

The Clermont away guide is available....

.ak wrote: »
    The Clermont away guide is available....

Kronenbourg it is so... :D

• Advertisement

I dread to think how much a Guinness is when it's not on special....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I can not feckin wait for the weekend. This is my first non-English away trip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That guide is a good idea.

I did laugh at the things to see and do in Bordeux list though. No. 1 was the Clermont v Leinster game at 4 on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    Kronenbourg it is so... :D

Nice beer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I can not feckin wait for the weekend. This is my first non-English away trip.

Great one to go for so. Can't wait myself, but need to remember not to sing myself hoarse the night before again! :o
    Nice beer

Honestly couldn't say when I last had it was, but at 4 for €15 it should do the job nicely I would imagine. It beats what we had to make do with in Clermont. For as great a spot as it was their choice of beer wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

.ak wrote: »
    I dread to think how much a Guinness is when it's not on special....

Generally about 6 quid in France. Try the Kronenbourg Blanc when you're there. Delicious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Hopefully there's a good crowd of us for the stadium march & the rain stays off. Weather in Toulouse 2 years ago ruined the march. Really looking forward/nervous about the game now. I think Joe will go with the same 23 as the quarter final and the same starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Hopefully there's a good crowd of us for the stadium march & the rain stays off. Weather in Toulouse 2 years ago ruined the march. Really looking forward/nervous about the game now. I think Joe will go with the same 23 as the quarter final and the same starting 15.

Don't remind me! And there was no other way to get to the stadium...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I've never seen as much rain as that day before. At least the Toulouse supporters were sound and gave us some free beer & BBQ'd food under the bridge. :)

• Advertisement

According to accuweather there is a 30% chance of precipitation for Sunday afternoon.

Also visibilty will be 10km so Johnny shouldn't have any problems getting the maximum out of his touch finders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement