Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

WeeBushy wrote: »
    According to accuweather there is a 30% chance of precipitation for Sunday afternoon.

Also visibilty will be 10km so Johnny shouldn't have any problems getting the maximum out of his touch finders.

Only 30%? That's good news! I thought it was more... I think we can deal with a 'greasy' ball.. but if it buckets it might ruin the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

For the twitterers amongst you, Fergus McFadden has joined to world of twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

.ak wrote: »
    Only 30%? That's good news! I thought it was more... I think we can deal with a 'greasy' ball.. but if it buckets it might ruin the match.

Yeah it says 'the chance for a couple of showers'. So hopefully it won't be too bad.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/bordeaux/131913/afternoon-weather-forecast/131913?day=6

Interesting interview here with Emma McCrudden, Leinster Rugby's Nutritionist. Worth a post after all the nandos/crackbird/wagamamma discussions of late! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'd love to see Seán's weekly diet sheet! The work people such as herself put in can never be over rated, it's such an important facet of modern professional sport.

I wish I had the discipline myself, but curry and beer is too delicious.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

.ak wrote: »
    Interesting interview here with Emma McCrudden, Leinster Rugby's Nutritionist. Worth a post after all the nandos/crackbird/wagamamma discussions of late! :D

Interesting read.

On another note altogether, anyone know where you can get a Leinster training vest, like the one Dave Kearney is wearing in the photo from the link above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Is anyone else surprised by the pricing policy for the league semi final? I know season ticket holders were offered a 25% discount last week, but this week most grandstand tickets are €40 and north/ south stand tickets are €30.

In the next month there will be up to four matches not covered by the season ticket, and potentially two of those involve foreign travel, so the semi final tickets seem pretty expensive.

I know this came up last year and still there were 14,500 at the league semi against Ulster so it probably worked out okay. But that was an interpro and last year fans faced only one foreign journey (I'm not counting Limerick as "foreign" :)). This year the cost of supporting the team in the playoffs has increased compared to last year so I wonder if they'll get a similar crowd this year against less attractive opposition.

I'd hate if there was a small crowd as that can really dampen the atmosphere. Maybe Leinster could have dreamt up some league playoff pricing offers to entice in a bigger crowd to the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ambid wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll get a similar crowd this year against less attractive opposition.

that a bit harsh on Munster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

molloyjh wrote: »
    Why, why, WHY did I just watch The Breakdown!? They just showed a few clips of Clermont in the Top 14. And I thought I was nervous before....Christ they look very, very, very good this season.

Had a similar thought after watching it. Looks set to be a great match this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Vosloo is definitely out of the Leinster game and his replacement was injured in Clermonts game against Montpellier.

Thats a pretty big blow to the Clermont backrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ambid wrote: »
    Is anyone else surprised by the pricing policy for the league semi final? I know season ticket holders were offered a 25% discount last week, but this week most grandstand tickets are €40 and north/ south stand tickets are €30.

In the next month there will be up to four matches not covered by the season ticket, and potentially two of those involve foreign travel, so the semi final tickets seem pretty expensive.

I know this came up last year and still there were 14,500 at the league semi against Ulster so it probably worked out okay. But that was an interpro and last year fans faced only one foreign journey (I'm not counting Limerick as "foreign" :)). This year the cost of supporting the team in the playoffs has increased compared to last year so I wonder if they'll get a similar crowd this year against less attractive opposition.

I'd hate if there was a small crowd as that can really dampen the atmosphere. Maybe Leinster could have dreamt up some league playoff pricing offers to entice in a bigger crowd to the semi.

If I remember right there are two bands that cover ticket pricing. The first covers the bigger games e.g. Interpros and HEC games and is more expensive, around 30 for South Stand tickets. The second covers the rest of the Rabo games and is less expensive, I think around 20 for South Stand.

A Semi Final in the RDS would be seen as a bigger game and go into the first band. The 25% discount was a good idea to appease the season ticket holders who make up the vast majority of fans at games. Other than this discount how else can the branch make a game that appears to be not that appealing to fans appealing? Whoever we play we will be strong favourites.

Edit: They're called tiers http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/tickets/ticket_prices.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Just watching Barcelona there. They play the beautiful game.

They really are the Leinster of soccerball aren't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

durkadurka wrote: »

We should lease them the concept of Leinstertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Hopefully there's a good crowd of us for the stadium march & the rain stays off. Weather in Toulouse 2 years ago ruined the march. Really looking forward/nervous about the game now. I think Joe will go with the same 23 as the quarter final and the same starting 15.

I had been really up for this but cant see why there trying to start the march at 1:45. I understand getting people there early to support the team but arriving at the stadium nearly 2 hours before is a bit excessive and will probably turn people off getting involved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

It might do alright, I think they are going so early is because the French always love to get to the ground early to build the atmosphere for the team. We need to do this for Leinster too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I had been really up for this but cant see why there trying to start the march at 1:45. I understand getting people there early to support the team but arriving at the stadium nearly 2 hours before is a bit excessive and will probably turn people off getting involved.

Slightly offputting to me too. I'll likely go on it for the laugh, but a bit later would be nice so I could have a nice winey lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ktulu123 wrote: »
    It might do alright, I think they are going so early is because the French always love to get to the ground early to build the atmosphere for the team. We need to do this for Leinster too!

I get that but I still think it's overkill. If you start trying to build an atmosphere for the 2 hours before kick off with the limited numbers we have the fans will be voiceless before the first tackle is made. Getting there 45min - 1 hour before would be plenty of time to give the team a boost during their warm up and the fans having an extra hour in the pub can only be another positive for the atmosphere. :D

Will still probably join in but might take a few beverages for the journey and walk at a nice slow pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

durkadurka wrote: »

And yet Barcelona, the 2009 and 2011 European champions and favourites for this season, go out in the semi-final. A troubling parallel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

ray jay wrote: »
    And yet Barcelona, the 2009 and 2011 European champions and favourites for this season, go out in the semi-final. A troubling parallel!

Eek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

At least we are incisive and clinical, and don't pass from side to side on the halfway line for 40 minutes when we need a try.

Still, BOD and Messi is another good comparison..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Yes, but the blues, the away team, won! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

You gotta love the fan mentality with these matches coming up. Everything is a sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Foxtrol wrote: »

I reckon the 1.45 is the "Irish" time, i.e. they say 1.45 to ensure we actually leave at about 2. It's a 20-30 minute walk apparently so we should be there for about 2.30. Add in the time it will take to find where we're going, grab a beer and get to our seats and it'll be pretty much 3 before we're sitting down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm pretty sure in all my years of watching Leinster I've yet to see them lose a game with 70% possession, so I think we might be alright ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

I reckon the 1.45 is the "Irish" time, i.e. they say 1.45 to ensure we actually leave at about 2. It's a 20-30 minute walk apparently so we should be there for about 2.30. Add in the time it will take to find where we're going, grab a beer and get to our seats and it'll be pretty much 3 before we're sitting down.

Are there pubs en-route?
    We had a fantastic time walking the fan-trail to Eden Park for the Aussie game at the WC. That was about an hour of a walk, and we started about 4 hours early, with plenty of pit stops along the way. The banter with other fans on the way was epic, and we got there in time to hit one last pub, then grab a bite to eat and head into the stadium well fired up and ready to go.
    If you're just going to walk from A to B, 1:45 seems early, but it's not that unreasonable if it's meant to be a pub-crawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting quotes from shaggy in the IT

http://t.co/UNYfrt0O

It is a bit ridiculous that Fitzgerald is being treated the way he is, but I'm still hopeful he will return. Please god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

A quote from Ouedraogo on Leinster:

"Avec eux, rien n'est gagné. Je me souviens qu'à la mi-temps, dans notre vestiaire, tout le monde était par terre, en train de rechercher son souffle et de récupérer. On se serait cru à la fin d'un match, alors qu'on n'avait joué qu'une seule mi-temps. (...) C'est une sorte de rouleau-compresseur , décrit encore le Montpelliérain. Ils perdent rarement la possession du ballon, ils arrivent à garder chaque fois la prise de la ligne d'avantage, à jouer en avançant et à mettre l'adversaire sous pression, tout en jouant en permanence dans le temps juste avec des joueurs de grande qualité "

With them, nothing is won. I remember at half-time, in our locker room, everyone was on the floor, trying to find their breath and recover. You would have believed it was the end of the match, but we had only played one half. (...) It is like a steamroller, describes Montpellier man. They rarely lose possession of the ball, they are able to break the advantage line every time, advancing the play and putting the opponent under pressure, all playing with continuity with players of great quality.

Rough translation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Doesn't that mean you'll be in the seats for two and a half hours before kickoff? Seems excessive...

Doesn't that mean you'll be in the seats for two and a half hours before kickoff? Seems excessive...

Kick off is 4pm. (french time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

fitz wrote: »
    Are there pubs en-route?
    We had a fantastic time walking the fan-trail to Eden Park for the Aussie game at the WC. That was about an hour of a walk, and we started about 4 hours early, with plenty of pit stops along the way. The banter with other fans on the way was epic, and we got there in time to hit one last pub, then grab a bite to eat and head into the stadium well fired up and ready to go.
    If you're just going to walk from A to B, 1:45 seems early, but it's not that unreasonable if it's meant to be a pub-crawl!

No idea tbh, but it would kind of defeat the purpose really. Personally I want to get to my seat early. The Clermont fans will be there nice and early too and the atmosphere in the ground will be hopping. The Stade Marcel-Michelin has a capacity of 18,000 and they can make some serious noise there. It looks like there'll be anywhere between 20,000 - 30,000 of them at this one (probably closer to 30k). Having a few pints in a couple of pubs is great and all, but soaking up the atmosphere in the ground before-hand is something I'm def looking forward to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement