Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Madigan's extension seems to have generated very little interest on here, but I'm delighted by it, if only to eliminate the 'Madigan is too good to be on the bench and needs to move' talk.
    I think another season of what he's been doing this year, i.e. being a top-notch understudy, will bring him on no end and he'll be the finished article before too long. He's still got a lot of work to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

tolosenc wrote: »
    Disappointed Isa didn't get a 10 year deal... :(

Is Isa gone if he doesn't get an Irish passport?

Th passport office need to get the finger out. His 3 kids are Irish and from what I've heard, he wants to rear them here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Madigan's extension seems to have generated very little interest on here, but I'm delighted by it, if only to eliminate the 'Madigan is too good to be on the bench and needs to move' talk.
    It was announced ages ago (or maybe leaked) and so it was common knowledge so people don't feel a need to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

flanzer wrote: »
    Th passport office need to get the finger out. His 3 kids are Irish and from what I've heard, he wants to rear them here
    As a slight aside I know, having children here no longer warrants parents citizenship. This has been the case for a good few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Thanks to that wonderful referendum we past a decade or so ago...No....his kids are not Irish (I think...) :(

Even renewing my Irish kids passports (born to Irish parents) is a pain....having to PROVE that both I/my wife and they are Irish at each renewal.....

I would gladly adopt Isa and family though!
    He is definitely embedded in Leinster Mythology and Tradition!

(He signed a 1 year deal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

tolosenc wrote: »
    Disappointed Isa didn't get a 10 year deal... :(

How long do you have to live here to get an Irish passport? Would he be still be counted as NIQ if he had a passport? I know he can't play as his Fiji cap but in the Irish state's eyes he would be Irish so he can't be sacked just because he isn't illegible to play international rugby.

Out of curiosity does Tom Court have an Irish passport or does he need a work permit or are one his parents/grand parents Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's positions 11, 14 and 15 sorted for the 2031 RWC so.

ray jay wrote: »
    It was my understanding that he's in negotiations for an international contract but if he doesn't get one he can still get a provincial one. I think a lot of people here assumed that even if he didn't get another central contract that Leinster would still be in a position to keep him on, so if you know otherwise I'm all ears.
    If he doesn't get a satisfactory (to him) contract amount from the union, there isn't much hope for a bigger figure from one of its branches.

How long do you have to live here to get an Irish passport? Would he be still be counted as NIQ if he had a passport? I know he can't play as his Fiji cap but in the Irish state's eyes he would be Irish so he can't be sacked just because he isn't illegible to play international rugby.

Out of curiosity does Tom Court have an Irish passport or does he need a work permit or are one his parents/grand parents Irish?

Wiki says his grandfather is from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

How long do you have to live here to get an Irish passport?

5 years. He arrived at the start of the 08/09 season, so he's just shy of 4 years' residence. After next season he can gain citizenship if he wants to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That's positions 11, 14 and 15 sorted for the 2031 RWC so.

His daughter at wing or fullback?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How long do you have to live here to get an Irish passport?

Naturalisation is 5 years...

Flincher wrote: »
    Good bit of business by McLaughlin to get himself a 3 year deal. Backrow is highly competitive with excellent players coming through.

Rewarded for an excellent season, he's a proper senior member of the squad imo. Will almost certainly need him to be around, regardless of the development of those younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

errlloyd wrote: »
    His daughter at wing or fullback?

She's supposed to be an outrageous counter attacker

He would still be NIQ. It has nothing to do with citizenship but eligibility. Danielli wouldn't count as NIQ as it is illegal to discriminate against nationals of other EU countries, Warwick would have been IQ when he left as he is an Irish citizen.

One point re: Isa's naturalisation is that according to this site you need to have:
    a period of 365 days* (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and, during the 8 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State amounting to 1,460 days* (4 years). Altogether you must have 5 years (5 x 365 days*) reckonable residence out of the last 9 years

Given away fixtures, I'd say he fall short on that first criterion. Likely to have taken holidays etc aswell.

One point re: Isa's naturalisation is that according to this site you need to have:

Given away fixtures, I'd say he fall short on that first criterion. Likely to have taken holidays etc aswell.

residence does not mean not leaving the country

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

a period of 365 days* (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and, during the 8 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State amounting to 1,460 days* (4 years). Altogether you must have 5 years (5 x 365 days*) reckonable residence out of the last 9 years

Going on holidays does not mean you are no longer resident. Neither does going away on business.

It doesn't matter what passport he holds. He is not Irish-qualified and is therefore outside the frame.

Tom Court has an Irish passport and had one before coming to Ireland. He has also never played international rugby for anyone else but Ireland.

I'm pretty sure reckonable residence as described in that piece is that you have lived in the country for more than 6 months out of 12 during a year and paid your tax within Ireland. Its the same as residence for Strauss et al afaik.

• Advertisement

Can we frame Fiji for a war crime or something and get the UN to no longer recognise them as a state?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can we frame Fiji for a war crime or something and get the UN to no longer recognise them as a state?

No framing necessary, not the nicest situation there at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Rewarded for an excellent season, he's a proper senior member of the squad imo. Will almost certainly need him to be around, regardless of the development of those younger.

possible captain when leo and BOD are gone ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

thebaz wrote: »
    possible captain when leo and BOD are gone ?

Heaslip no?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have been out of touch with this thread for a bit so not sure how much has been discussed about Carr, but I cant help wondering if theres a point to keeping him at Leinster. Wihout checking, even while the internationals were on he wasnt getting full games so unless he's regularly coming on from the bench in big games and playing all the time while the big players are on international duty, whats the point? As much from his own point of view as anything else. He'd be better off as the big fish playing every week for Connacht or maybe going elsewhere where he'll get regular gametime. If he was a kid maybe, but he's 27 this year.

Unless Fitzgerald is definately going maybe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

ray jay wrote: »
    Contract Renewals:

Leo Auva’a – 2 years
    Isaac Boss – 2 years
    Fionn Carr – 1 year
    Andrew Conway – 2 years
    John Cooney – 1 year
    Leo Cullen – 1 year
    Gordon D’Arcy – 2 years
    Aaron Dundon – 2 years
    Mark Flanagan – 1 year Development
    David Kearney – 2 years
    Brendan Macken – 1 year
    Ian Madigan – 2 years
    Kevin McLaughlin – 3 years
    Isa Nacewa – 1 year extension
    Eoin Reddan – 2 years
    Rhys Ruddock – 2 years
    Thomas Sexton – 1 year Development
    Heinke van der Merwe – 1 year

New contracts:

Michael Bent – 2 years
    Tom Denton – 2 years

Nice to see the new signings confirmed. I'm particularly excited to see Denton play, very highly rated lock over in the UK, touted as a future English international. Nice poach.

Have heard mixed reports over Bent, but he can play both sides of the scrum (hopefully not in a "Tom Court" kind of way) and both are Irish qualified.

Great to see guys like D. Kearney, Conway and Mad Dog signing on for another 2 years.

Interestingly, Macken only takes one extra year...hope he's not getting itchy feet, but with D'Arcy signing on for 2 more years, O'Driscoll on for at least next season, O'Mally and McFadden on for 2 more seasons, there's a lot of competition, plus, I think Lukey Fitz will end up in the centre. Not an out and out wing, but his superb defence, great hands and tricky feet and decent boot have him suited for a dynamic 12 and possibly a 13 if needs be. No mention of his contract still though...

Good to see Carr getting an extension too.

Little bit suprised at Dundon getting 2 years given the quality ahead of him and the ambition to develop a young player.

Also, Boss and Reddan sign 2 year deals, Cooney only signs one....is he just holding the spot until McGrath comes through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Here's picture I feel is worth putting up. Rob Kearney would have been sitting in the stands this time last season watching his team-mates journey towards a monumental Heineken Cup. It must have been hard for him. Well, there's no better way than to come back, win BOI player of the year and take the Heineken Cup by storm. He may have missed the final last season, but there's no way he's going to miss it this season, and you can see how much it means to him.

INPHO_00594418.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Didn't he miss the final in 09 with mumps or something too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Who are Leinster's NIEs for next year. I know that Nacewa and VdM are classified NIE, but what's the story with Auva’a and Dundon? Will Strauss take up the project spot for another season as he won't be naturalised until the season has begun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

durkadurka wrote: »
    Didn't he miss the final in 09 with mumps or something too?

Played 9 mins of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement