Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who are Leinster's NIEs for next year. I know that Nacewa and VdM are classified NIE, but what's the story with Auva’a and Dundon? Will Strauss take up the project spot for another season as he won't be naturalised until the season has begun?

I don't think Strauss will count. Hell be IQ by the time the first international takes place I think so for all intents and purposes he is eligible.

NIEs are Nacewa and VDM right now. Dundon and Auvaa are both IQ AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

almighty1 wrote: »
    Delaneys. I suggest you look at it again. The ball definitely goes forward but maybe could argue the player passes the ball backwards in context to himself but still the ball travels forward.

I've seen an very similar video published by the IRB before.
    Probably the most interesting part of this video is the last 30 seconds: For the purposes of demonstration a player (Ryan Constable) tried to give a forward pass. The action of a backward pass is so ingrained in a rugby player's psyche and muscle memory that it actually took him three attempts to succeed in giving a FP!

He did play excellently, he's off the central contract as well which means more stress on the Leinster budget.

Good to see VDM resign but I hope that McGrath gets a lot of Pro12 time to get him ready to replace VDM.

Am glad to see Redden, Boss and Cooney resign (redden is off central contract now) I was slightly worried with both Redden and Boss's contract expiring.

You should probably have used a couple of hyphens in that post: the lads are 're-signing', not 'resigning'. The two things mean virtually the opposite of each other.

At first glance, I was wondering why you were glad to see the back of vdMerwe!

Who are Leinster's NIEs for next year. I know that Nacewa and VdM are classified NIE, but what's the story with Auva’a and Dundon? Will Strauss take up the project spot for another season as he won't be naturalised until the season has begun?

Nacewa and VdM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Two NIQs. That's making me want to go out and buy a superstar second row

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

durkadurka wrote: »
    Two NIQs. That's making me want to go out and buy a superstar second row

Yeah hopefully there's a significant signing there. I know Schmidt has a lot of faith in the squad though. This 2nd row from Leeds is supposed to be a decent enough player, hope he goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Sweet Jesus lads cop on, yous are all here long enough to know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

FYI, HEC Highlights on ITV4 at the mo, ITV4+1 @ 20:30

Sweet Jesus lads cop on, yous are all here long enough to know better

Sorry, but: Who is that aimed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

dan and emmet I would assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is Damien Browne being let go? He's not in the list of contract extensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is Damien Browne being let go? He's not in the list of contract extensions.

He must be, pity because I thought he had done well in the few matchs he played....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah I think Browne has been quite good. A solid signing and has stepped up when called upon.

Just looking at our 2nd row options for next season, Cullen in presumably his last season, Toner, Denton & Flanagan (only on development contract) confirmed. So long term that's only two, and maybe three options if Flanagan makes the step up....I would have thought there was room there for keeping on Browne AND making a major signing.

But yeah, as I said above, I've a good feeling about this Denton fella. Only 24 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ah I decided to delete some posts after that and forgot to update the post to indicate that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Ah I decided to delete some posts after that and forgot to update the post to indicate that

Was wondering to be honest - thought it might be a severe overreaction to the comments about "resign" and "re-sign". :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

On the qualified player thing, Isas' kids are Irish, they can't stop him from working, he's here long term beyond sport. A grey area, like a few others.
    I think Dougie could be in same boat? Anyway, he's got a good few seasons left, I think the "only one season/contract" thing will only apply beyond 2 players, i.e. all the provinces will get the option on two long term stars, so not a huge change to how it was unofficially working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

What strikes me most about all the contract renewals is that it proves the players really buy into Schmidt's ethos of a squad and how much they want to be there. Many of those players could get more game time elsewhere in big teams but they want to play for Leinster, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

andrewdcs wrote: »
    On the qualified player thing, Isas' kids are Irish, they can't stop him from working, he's here long term beyond sport. A grey area, like a few others.
    I think Dougie could be in same boat? Anyway, he's got a good few seasons left, I think the "only one season/contract" thing will only apply beyond 2 players, i.e. all the provinces will get the option on two long term stars, so not a huge change to how it was unofficially working.

I think Nacewa mind have a different opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

profitius wrote: »

Eh?

Well they were born here, but he always references the fact his kids were born here as one of the many reasons he wants to stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

what about Flanagan only getting a 1 year development contract? Not a great sign of confidence in him by the management given that he is 23 in 3 months.

• Advertisement

kennedmc wrote: »
    what about Flanagan only getting a 1 year development contract? Not a great sign of confidence in him by the management given that he is 23 in 3 months.

Or a sign that they will be considering him for a full contract if he steps up this season. Getting a 3 year development contract would suck arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

Or a sign that they will be considering him for a full contract if he steps up this season. Getting a 3 year development contract would suck arse!

True there is that possibility. I just thought with our current 2nd row situation and what the mgmt team see day in / day out they'd be able to make that call now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

profitius wrote: »

heh. I suppose on that level I've an "english" daughter ;)

I mean he's totally legit, i.e doesnt need a sport visa. so IRFU would have to force leinster to not sign for some other reason. which I can't see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

andrewdcs wrote: »
    heh. I suppose on that level I've an "english" daughter ;)

I mean he's totally legit, i.e doesnt need a sport visa. so IRFU would have to force leinster to not sign for some other reason. which I can't see happening.

Actually, would it be against some European Union worker rights not to let someone sign for a club. I think in football in England it would be against the law or is it just the case that the IRFU has too much control. (to be honest I really don't know how the contract situation works)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Coburger wrote: »
    Actually, would it be against some European Union worker rights not to let someone sign for a club. I think in football in England it would be against the law or is it just the case that the IRFU has too much control. (to be honest I really don't know how the contract situation works)

It's almost certainly breaches employment law on all sorts of ground. Who is going to sue to IRFU? Leinster branch (who are the IRFU) or the player themselves (guaranteeing them are never offered a contract in Ireland again)?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Have been out of touch with this thread for a bit so not sure how much has been discussed about Carr, but I cant help wondering if theres a point to keeping him at Leinster. Wihout checking, even while the internationals were on he wasnt getting full games so unless he's regularly coming on from the bench in big games and playing all the time while the big players are on international duty, whats the point? As much from his own point of view as anything else. He'd be better off as the big fish playing every week for Connacht or maybe going elsewhere where he'll get regular gametime. If he was a kid maybe, but he's 27 this year.

Unless Fitzgerald is definately going maybe.....

Don't rate Carr at all, we have an abundance of wingers and more coming through the academy. Think you're right about his going to Connacht and becoming a 'big cheese' there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Coburger wrote: »
    Its different because the union owns the provinces and as such they are allowed discriminate based on ability to work in another branch in the company. It would be differrent if the union didn't own the provinces ala Premier League in England or Womens Hockey League in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Saw Simon Shawe is leaving at the end of the year. is that the end of the fairytale, or did he get a contract somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

hopefully "in the coming days" actually means just that!
    but the IRFU have now effectively confirmed a softening of their approach after a wave of public criticism and confusion about their plans.

I wonder what they mean by softening their approach? something along the lines of allowing extensions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement