Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Can't kick
    Clegg wrote: »
    Wasn't the argument that he couldn't kick when the pressure was on at international level?

This was disproved too when he had the best kicking stats out of any of the 10's in the 6 Nations.

I'd still like to see him play a bit better for Ireland though.

Pretty sure he's joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Laidlaw's stats are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

ray jay wrote: »
    Sexton comfortably wins the Pro12 best kicker competition.

Not exactly a fair comparison when some lads are attempting nearly 100 kicks versus Johnny's 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Spud83 wrote: »
    Sexton comfortably wins the Pro12 best kicker competition.

Not exactly a fair comparison when some lads are attempting nearly 100 kicks versus Johnny's 30.

A percentage is a percentage regardless of the number of kicks. Me getting 25 from 50 is exactly the same as you getting 50 from 100. You'll notice that Biggar scored more points. Using the same logic that would be unfair given that he had more opportunities....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

molloyjh wrote: »
    A percentage is a percentage regardless of the number of kicks. Me getting 25 from 50 is exactly the same as you getting 50 from 100. You'll notice that Biggar scored more points. Using the same logic that would be unfair given that he had more opportunities....

Using the same logic attempting 1 and scoring 1 is 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

I assume those kicking stats get updated on Monday? Interesting to see where Madigan ends up. He's been successful with 17 kicks this season apparently. Just from memory, and this is probably way off but I recall him missing 3. A couple long rangers and one from Saturday. 17/20 would leave him with 85%. Not bad considering he can't kick.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair kicking stats are a bit academic. Like Connacht play in a notoriously exposed windy home ground, of course its gonna effect their kicking stats. As some have said 30 kicks is a relatively small sample. Like Sexton beat Rog by a good few %, but only 2 kicks.

Lovely to see him do well all the same, I am sick of defending his goal kicking to mates, evidence makes life easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sindri wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »

You have to take a minimum of ten kicks to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sindri wrote: »

Interesting point. I wonder is there a minimum that you have to kick to get onto the chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jason Harris-Wright starting for Bristol today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    Interesting point. I wonder is there a minimum that you have to kick to get onto the chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Joe Schmidt was named coach of the year at the Rabo Pro12 awards, and Leinster got the fair play award.
    CouchSmart wrote: »
    I assume those kicking stats get updated on Monday? Interesting to see where Madigan ends up. He's been successful with 17 kicks this season apparently. Just from memory, and this is probably way off but I recall him missing 3. A couple long rangers and one from Saturday. 17/20 would leave him with 85%. Not bad considering he can't kick.. :P
    The stats are up to date. Madigan certainly missed more than 3 kicks, unfortunately I've yet to find a site that tracks misses so I've no idea how close to the top 10 he was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

“I know that if he felt capable of playing on he would,” said Schimdt. “He went down at one stage against Clermont with a stinger. I think it is a recurrence of the injury [that sidelined him from December to March]. He doesn’t feel he can contribute fully and he knows the sooner he gets it done the sooner he can get his rest period in and his rehabilitation period in.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0507/1224315688006.html

Interesting quote from Schmidt and it has to be said a smart move from Fitzgerald.

You also have to hand to him he has some balls playing through an injury like that in France. But I suppose it's very hard to tell any player they can't play in possibly the most important provincial game of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Biarritz confirmed today that they have signed Mat Berquist.

Biarritz confirmed today that they have signed Mat Berquist.

Good for him. Excellent player, pity we didn't see him more in a blue shirt, but at the same time, great for Mads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The stats are up to date. Madigan certainly missed more than 3 kicks, unfortunately I've yet to find a site that tracks misses so I've no idea how close to the top 10 he was.

He did but the misses that would push him out of the chart are the ones he took when he wasn't first choice kicker i.e. Nacewa and McFadden were kicking but if an opportunity arose within Leinster's own half, Madigan took it on. He was 12/15 in the two games where he was first choice kicker which is solid if unspectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

.ak wrote: »
    Good for him. Excellent player, pity we didn't see him more in a blue shirt, but at the same time, great for Mads.

Yep, remember seeing him in Donnybrook for the pre-season games, great pass and great kicking. Watching him warming up in that breeze and knocking them over easy-peasy.

In hindsight we didn't need him for the Heinekin like I think a lot of us thought we would have, but would love to have seen him play at top level for us.

As you said .ak, Mads benefitted, and we're proabably in a better position now than we were this time last year with our 10s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

GerM wrote: »
    He was 12/15 in the two games where he was first choice kicker which is solid if unspectacular.

Well, if ROG is above international standard at 83.33%, and Madigan has 80%, does that not make Madigan international standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Seph503 wrote: »
    In hindsight we didn't need him for the Heinekin like I think a lot of us thought we would have, but would love to have seen him play at top level for us.

Hold your horses. If Sexton or Madigan pick up a knock against Glasgow, Berquist will be thrust into the match day squad for the final. I think he'd start if it were Sexton out.

*touches all the wood*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

tolosenc wrote: »
    Well, if ROG is above international standard at 83.33%, and Madigan has 80%, does that not make Madigan international standard?
    No, international standard is 80.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hold your horses. If Sexton or Madigan pick up a knock against Glasgow, Berquist will be thrust into the match day squad for the final. I think he'd start if it were Sexton out.

*touches all the wood*

He hasn't made a senior appearance since September, I doubt he would start ahead of Madigan.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/index.php?player=22006&includeref=dynamic

Personally don't think he necessarilly would have been starting ahead of Madigan consistently even if he wasn't injured. From what I heard Madigan was starting to win that battle when he got injured in the first place.

I just had an image of Madigan playing for Canterbury... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Careful Now

MADIGAN IS GODIGAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Seph503 wrote: »

*touches all the wood*

I would be shocked beyond words if Berquist started ahead of Madigan. As far as I know, Berquist is fit and he hasn't been considered for the bench for any Rabo games. He is not in Joe's plans.

Looks like an all clear on the injury front ahead of this weekend. Boss back from his knock.

Will we see a first choice team?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

First choice team for 50 mins then bench emptied. Nice warm-up for the following weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think we'll see a lot of the first team on the bench. Like against Munster I march.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'd like to see a mixture of 1st teamers and subs, something like:

Healy
    Cronin
    Ross
    Cullen/Thorn
    Toner
    McLaughlin
    Dom Ryan
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Sexton
    D Kearney
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    McFadden
    R Kearney

Give Strauss 20 mins at the end, same with Reddan (who played last week), give Ryan a chance to impress in a big game and SOB given 20 mins.

Isa on bench for versatility and D Kearney and Ferg given gametime on wing due to Fitzgerald injury, with Kearney Jr possibly able to give Schmidt a selection headache.

Still unlikely Joe will take the risk to leave Isa out however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd like to see Strauss, Cullen and Thorn start. Get some opportunities to iron out the line-out hiccups. Start Reddan and bring on Boss to give him a bit of a run. Start D.Kearney, give him an opportunity to stake a claim, then bring McFadden on off the bench. I'd start Sexton but bring him off as soon as is safe to. Finally, I'd bench Healy and start VDM with Ross.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement