Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Apparently the Auckland Blues have Joe Schmidt on their shortlist of coaches to replace Pat Lam. Schmidts contract ends in 2013 but you'd have to imagine that Leinster/Ireland will attempt to extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Apparently the Auckland Blues have Joe Schmidt on their shortlist of coaches to replace Pat Lam. Schmidts contract ends in 2013 but you'd have to imagine that Leinster/Ireland will attempt to extend it.
    Crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Career wise its a good move for him, but i'd be very sad to see the most sucessful (fingers crossed) coach we've had leave after just 2 seasons. Then again, i'd imagine he's prob on most clubs short lists these days, so maybe its nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »

Ah no, no, no, no, no! I'm pretending I didn't read that....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If he had to leave for anywhere I would want him to leave for Ireland, I would hate to see him go back to NZ but it realy would make sense for him. Hope he stays anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

To be honest, I half expect Schmidt to pack up and leave next year. He will have been away from NZ for 6 or 7 years. He'll have made a little money, made a serious reputation and achieved pretty much everything he set out to achieve I assume. If a Super Rugby top job came available, I'd expect him to jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just because he's on the shortlist doesn't mean he has applied though. It doesn't mean he's interested at all. Munster had people on their shortlist who had no interest in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The other coaches on the list are John Kirwan, Vern Cotter and Wayne Smith.

It's in this evenings Herald. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the report though. They're saying that Mark Anscombe is also on the shortlist but he's just signed on for Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    To be honest, I half expect Schmidt to pack up and leave next year. He will have been away from NZ for 6 or 7 years. He'll have made a little money, made a serious reputation and achieved pretty much everything he set out to achieve I assume. If a Super Rugby top job came available, I'd expect him to jump at it.

Yeah I'd go along with this. I think he's contracted next season, would expect him to head home afterwards, and while I'd be gutted to see him go you couldn't begrudge it for one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone got any ubercool spy imagine enhancement equipment to see where the ticket allocation is on the viewable tickets? :cool:

Leinster rugby saying the majority or a fair amount in the north stand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wouldn't surprise me to see Joe leave at the end of his contract but I'd quite like to see him stay and become our Guy Noves!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quint2010 wrote: »

Ah, nice one thanks.

What would convince Schmidt to stay? Could the IRFU match the salary?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Balls, my tickets are in the corner of the east and south stands.

For all we know, it could be a sea of blue everywhere... Hard to pinpoint an idea of how many Leinster fans will travel.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Balls, my tickets are in the corner of the east and south stands.

Also saying a fair amount spread around-but alot in the north..

Schmidt's son just finished fourth year in school. Would he want to take him out of school before he is finished his leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Schmidt's son just finished fourth year in school. Would he want to take him out of school before he is finished his leaving?

Hope not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

.ak wrote: »
    What would convince Schmidt to stay? Could the IRFU match the salary?

Match the salary offered in NZ? I'd imagine the IRFU could beat it easily if they so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes, Joe think of the children.

6be300dc_think_of_the_children2.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

danthefan wrote: »
    Match the salary offered in NZ? I'd imagine the IRFU could beat it easily if they so wished.

Yeah I was pretty certain there is more money in rugby up here rather than down South...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

You sure he's not going into sixth year? Fairly impressed if he was in fourth year as he was on their S!

Hype710 wrote: »
    You sure he's not going into sixth year? Fairly impressed if he was in fourth year as he was on their S!

Nope pretty sure he is going into fifth year next year. Yip he was 16 as a sub on the SCT this year..he also played for Leinster Schools in France recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Blut2

Who's his son playing for?

I dont think the issue would be matching the potential money on offer from a NZ contract, it'd be more to do with his desire to return to his home country to have a go at coaching at the top club level there (and maybe having an eye on the All Blacks job a few years down the line).

Blut2 wrote: »
    Who's his son playing for?

He is in school in Terenure College

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

“You never rule anything out because I know you fall into two categories, those who have been sacked and those who are waiting for the chop. You never rule anything out because you're not sure where you'll be,” says Schmidt.
    However, Schmidt later rang 3 News to say where he'll be is Leinster, and he won't apply to coach the Blues.... perhaps he knows the next coach is just a handshake away.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Kirwan-may-answer-as-Blues-sing-for-saviour/tabid/415/articleID/253790/Default.aspx#ixzz1uVAqqGTe

He might want to leave because hes from new zealand but he certainly likes ireland alot if hes worked here as a teacher before and now back here as a coach. He will definitely get paid more coaching Leinster and will be coaching a far better team than the blues with far more recognition and a bigger fan base. Maybe he wants to go back and settle a few scores though and prove himself to the kiwis and even have a shot at the new zealand job but he doesnt seem like that sort of man. His son is going into 5th year in terenure and he has other little kids as well but i dont think that will have too much of a bearing as theyve moved around before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

He's coaching a successful/winning team and he can credit for that success/accomplishments. I doubt he'd leave a successful side....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sindri wrote: »
    He's coaching a successful/winning team and he can credit for that success/accomplishments. I doubt he'd leave a successful side....

If Leinster win the HC once again, the appeal of testing himself by replicating that success elsewhere may inform his thinking. I'd guess family matters take precedence tbh.

The next challenge at Leinster will be maintaining competitiveness in Europe while managing transition, though signs on that front look encouraging and Joe may feel he'd be leaving a solid foundation for future success.

All conjecture of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Could we throw a coup and keep him as a POW or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tickets should be collectable from today

Leinster wrote:
    Dear justsomebloke

Following your success in the lottery for the Heineken Cup Final tickets your tickets are now paid and available for collection. Anyone may collect tickets on your behalf however they MUST have a copy of this email for us to release tickets.

Collection times are as follows:
    • From Leinster Rugby office in UCD until 5pm today (Friday)
    • From Ticket Office in RDS from 5pm until 7.35pm tomorrow (Saturday)
    • From Leinster Rugby office in UCD from 8am – 5pm next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
    Our office is located just inside the signposted Newstead entrance to UCD on Clonskeagh Road. If driving please be aware that clampers are on site 24 hours a day and you must park in a designated space.
    The RDS Ticket Office is located inside the main Anglesea gate on Anglesea Road.
    Kind regards,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement