Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Little bit nervous about that Leinster side. Glasgow dark horses here, just a feeling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In one of the myriad of articles discussing Schmidt potentially leaving for the Blues job I noticed that it was mentioned that Gibbes recently signed on for two more years.

So that's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

So who would people have on the wing? Tonight's match didn't really give either much opportunity to show what they can do. I'd probably go with Ferg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hagz wrote: »
    So who would people have on the wing? Tonight's match didn't really give either much opportunity to show what they can do. I'd probably go with Ferg.

Ferg was best on the pitch this evening....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

With doubts over BOD and a nasty cut to D'Arcy i wouldn't be surprised to see McFadden on the bench to come on fresh for one of those to when they're inevitably crocked. Would like to see D Kearney start as well, I'm a big fan of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Big Nelly wrote: »

No, he wasn't, Kearney was better and he scored. Think McFadden gets as much undeserved praise as Reddan undeserved criticism - even though he wasn't great tonight! Seems to be an element of talking up some players and excessive criticism of others - d'Arcy and Heaslip two others being targetted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Haven't read it myself but there's an interview with Mick Dawson in the Sunday Times today discussing the business side of things with Leinster. Apparently Leinster take in about €15m per year in revenue which is fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

danthefan wrote: »
    Apparently Leinster take in about €15m per year in revenue which is fairly decent.

this alone would be roughly 26% of the figure the international setup bring in, so I think we can finally lay to rest the myth that the international setup bring in 4 times the combined revenue of the 4 provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

this alone would be roughly 26% of the figure the international setup bring in, so I think we can finally lay to rest the myth that the international setup bring in 4 times the combined revenue of the 4 provinces.

I was about to dive in with that. The Irfu report wasn't telling the whole story by any stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Big Nelly wrote: »

Don't think either of them particularly put their hand up. Ferg showed some strong running through the middle but his poor hands showed up again when linking with those around him. Kearney took his try well but struggled to impose himself much outside that. I'd stick with McFadden given his work rate and greater experience but will be praying that Darce and BOD are passed fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster are still dependent on the IRFU. Almost entirely. Granted they are probably close to self-sufficiency at this point in time but without the success that was built on investment made by IRFU International money they wouldn't be the team they are today.

I'd imagine they made a healthy profit this year though which is great. It's still a small fraction of the profit made by international rights though I'd imagine.

Leinster are still dependent on the IRFU

I don't dispute that however I feel the IRFU try and overstate the dependacy.

Truthfully I'd like to see a full proper breakdown of the money especially for this year. With 2 HEC finalist and another quarter finalist how much of a difference in net income is there compared to years were the provinces don't do well.

You'd have to imagine the revenue generated by the irish team can't change that significantly from year to year as gate receipts and TV money won't change that much. Sponsorship is probably the only volatile figure.

So the question the becomes do successful HEC runs make a bigger difference to the net income of the IRFU then success in the 6 nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There was a newspaper article recently which said there's €450k prize money for a team getting to each knockout stage of the HEC, which goes to the IRFU in our case. This season that's €450k x3 for the QFs + €450k x2 for the SFs + €450k x2 for the final + whatever prize money goes to the winner. A lot of money the provinces are making for the IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dear Leinster Supporter,

Following last nights win over Glasgow in the RDS we are delighted to be hosting the Grand Final of the RaboDirect PRO12 there in two weeks against fellow finalists Ospreys. Kick off is confirmed for 4pm on Sunday, 27th May

As this game is not covered by your Season Ticket you will need to purchase a ticket should you wish to attend this game. Season Ticket holders have the opportunity to purchase their usual seat for this game by logging into your Season Ticket account at www.leinsterrugby.ie/tickets and paying the invoice we have posted there.

Your tickets will be available to purchase until 5pm on Tuesday, 15th May after which all unpaid tickets will be released for public sale. Tier One ticket prices apply and are available on our website.

Once again, thank you for your fantastic support all year and playing your part in bringing the Grand Final to Leinster again.

There was a newspaper article recently which said there's €450k prize money for a team getting to each knockout stage of the HEC, which goes to the IRFU in our case. This season that's €450k x3 for the QFs + €450k x2 for the SFs + €450k x2 for the final + whatever prize money goes to the winner. A lot of money the provinces are making for the IRFU.

And the IRFU only budgeted for one quarter final place. So major profit there.

Personally I see it all as IRFU profit. We are a branch of the IRFU and we wouldn't be half the team we are without the great work they do and the great support they gave us. Personally as a player and supporter I couldn't be prouder to be involved with Irish rugby (although I'm currently doing missionary work with the poor talentless English). I just wish they'd sort out the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

You're Conor O Shea aren't you?

Great to see some Leinster rugby in the pre-match buildup montage about what it takes to be a winner for the soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Great to see some Leinster rugby in the pre-match buildup montage about what it takes to be a winner for the soccer!

What was it?

tolosenc wrote: »
    What was it?

It was the usual sky ****e about how important today is. Showed loads if famous athletes winning. Mohammed Ali etc. One of the clips was Sexton scoring against Northampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just seen United lose the premier league.

I'll feel even worse than now if Ulster turn Leinster over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If the HEC final can be 50% as exciting as the EPL final day... :eek:

After last years final and this years semi I don't think I could handle something like that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

As long as Niall Quinn isn't commentating I'll be happy. Last year wasn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

For shame

After last years final and this years semi I don't think I could handle something like that:eek:

Except last year's final was over with 20 minutes to go!

Yeah but the utter devastation at half time.. All the jeering from the saints fans...

I couldn't handle that again. Especially considering the ulster accent sounds infinitely more sinister than a Northampton one!

Especially considering the ulster accent sounds infinitely more sinister than a Northampton one!

"I've got a lovely wee puppy. Shiny nose, and a waggy tail. Lovely wee puppy."

Cue hundreds not getting the reference... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Was hardly over with 20 minds to go in fairness. Two scores in it and 20 mins to go, no game is over. Granted Leinster controlled it well from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

"I've got a lovely wee puppy. Shiny nose, and a waggy tail. Lovely wee puppy."

Cue hundreds not getting the reference... :o

First :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Haven't read it myself but there's an interview with Mick Dawson in the Sunday Times today discussing the business side of things with Leinster. Apparently Leinster take in about €15m per year in revenue which is fairly decent.

Were does the 15m come from?

I read the article and saw references to currently 3m from season tickets and 3m from sponsorship but no reference to any 15m total.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement