Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Were does the 15m come from?

I read the article and saw references to currently 3m from season tickets and 3m from sponsorship but no reference to any 15m total.
    a bit above that, here is a quote

The scale of the HQ reflects the fact that Leinster is now big business. The club has 130 staff, including up to 60 club and academy players, and revenues — buoyed by cup wins and clever marketing — are about €15m a year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The scale of the HQ reflects the fact that Leinster is now big business. The club has 130 staff, including up to 60 club and academy players, and revenues — buoyed by cup wins and clever marketing — are about €15m a year.

If there is 3m from season tickets and 3m from sponsorship I wonder were the other 9 comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If there is 3m from season tickets and 3m from sponsorship I wonder were the other 9 comes from?
    I'd imagine its a figure they reached including tv rights and merchandising and things like that.

I'd imagine its a figure they reached including tv rights and merchandising and things like that.
    probably included non season ticket sales, ticket sales for knock outs, and prize money earned by the province. One journo claimed 350K for each QF/SF/F appearances for example. There is probably the best part of a million in extra ticket sales from each Aviva game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

danthefan wrote: »
    There was a newspaper article recently which said there's €450k prize money for a team getting to each knockout stage of the HEC, which goes to the IRFU in our case. This season that's €450k x3 for the QFs + €450k x2 for the SFs + €450k x2 for the final + whatever prize money goes to the winner. A lot of money the provinces are making for the IRFU.

And the IRFU only budgeted for one quarter final place. So major profit there.

Personally I see it all as IRFU profit. We are a branch of the IRFU and we wouldn't be half the team we are without the great work they do and the great support they gave us. Personally as a player and supporter I couldn't be prouder to be involved with Irish rugby (although I'm currently doing missionary work with the poor talentless English). I just wish they'd sort out the national team.

To be fair, if we believe (which I don't) that 86% of Irish rugbys income comes from the national team and that Leinster themselves have season ticket sales of 3m and sponsorship of 3m then a few 450ks to the irfu wouldnt make a huge difference......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

padser wrote: »
    To be fair, if we believe (which I don't) that 86% of Irish rugbys income comes from the national team and that Leinster themselves have season ticket sales of 3m and sponsorship of 3m then a few 450ks to the irfu wouldnt make a huge difference......
    All those 450ks add up to around 3m more than the IRFU budgeted for which is nothing to be sniffed at. Imagine how much could be done with that at schools and club level.

Attributing 86% of income to the national team is probably an accounting trick, something like only counting ticket sales as being provincial income and anything else like TV rights etc as being IRFU income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

tolosenc wrote: »
    "I've got a lovely wee puppy. Shiny nose, and a waggy tail. Lovely wee puppy."

Cue hundreds not getting the reference... :o

colour me confused (and one part of the reference!) :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

So, E.O'Malley is out for up to 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

On a positive, getting the injury in his last game of the season gives him maximum recovery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

prospect wrote: »
    So, E.O'Malley is out for up to 6 months.

Ouch. He's been so unlucky recently. Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Ouch. He's been so unlucky recently. Where did you hear this?
    Eoin O'Malley out for est 6 months after cruciate injury

Twitter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's awful news!

From Leinsters perspective that means at the start of next season we're going to be down a fair few members of the back line now. I presume BOD, D'arcy, and McFadden will travel to NZ so won't be playing for Leinster until October or so. Now EOM is out too so it looks like Luke Fitz and O Shea will be the centres for the start of the Rabo next season.

If Madigan travels we could be looking at a back line of whoever our third choice scrum half is, Nacewa, Fitz and O Shea in the centre, Carr and Conway on the wings and Dave Kearney at full back.

Dave Kearney could well travel to NZ too though!

That's awful news!

From Leinsters perspective that means at the start of next season we're going to be down a fair few members of the back line now. I presume BOD, D'arcy, and McFadden will travel to NZ so won't be playing for Leinster until October or so. Now EOM is out too so it looks like Luke Fitz and O Shea will be the centres for the start of the Rabo next season.

If Madigan travels we could be looking at a back line of whoever our third choice scrum half is, Nacewa, Fitz and O Shea in the centre, Carr and Conway on the wings and Dave Kearney at full back.

assuming Fitz gets a contract. Nothing announced yet and I'm beginning to think IRFU would be happy to push him out since it will probably bump DKearney up the ranks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's awful news!

Would Macken not be next in line?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Would Macken not be next in line?

I dunno, probably. It's all ifs and buts at the moment but Dave Kearney could go with the Senior squad and so Luke Fitz if he's still around would fill in at 15.

We will have an interesting back line at the start of next season that's for sure!

It's Brendan Mackens chance to shine really.

I think our 12s in the early autumn will be Reid and O'Shea and Macken will be our 13.

Question is who will be our 10!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Probably Madigan unfortunately.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Probably Madigan unfortunately.
    Worst/Best case scenario could be something like...

Cooney, Reid, Hudson, O'Shea, Macken, Conway, Nacewa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

heard on the radio just there, that BOD said he will be fit to play on Saturday.

Are we expecting a squad injury update today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I thought Fitz was out for 6 months? Wouldn't be back until November-ish.

In which case, Deccie, you were right. Keith Earls is Ireland's best call at 13 and there's no need to bring that BOD waster to NZ.

• Advertisement

9. Cooney
    10. Reid
    11. Conway
    12. O'Shea
    13. Macken
    14. Carr
    15. Nacewa

OR

9. Cooney
    10. Nacewa
    11. Conway
    12. Reid
    13. Macken
    14. Carr
    15. Hudson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Re: the centres, surely Macken is ahead of O'Shea? I've been impressed with him when he's played this year

And what about Eamonn Sheridan? Is he around next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Just saw official confirmation that the Amlin Final will be in the RDS next year: http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/18226.php

Hopefully Connacht or Munster (;)) can get there so we can have Irish interest in both finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just saw official confirmation that the Amlin Final will be in the RDS next year: http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/18226.php

Hopefully Connacht or Munster (;)) can get there so we can have Irish interest in both finals.

excellent will be looking to get tickets for both games on Monday

Re: the centres, surely Macken is ahead of O'Shea? I've been impressed with him when he's played this year

And what about Eamonn Sheridan? Is he around next season?

Sheridan hasn't had an extension announced so I presume he is is off

I think Macken is ahead as 13 and O Shea ahead as 12

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Excellent! No excuses to miss the Amlin final next year. I'm missing this year's one cuz I'll be flying over during the match. Missed last year's one as well due to travel issues.

It's such a luxury not having to worry about flights or anything next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

His Driconess is ok to play on saturday,,,

R Kearney, Darce and Healy all ok .

This is all from @SineadKissane on twitter who is pretty reliable.
    The Official story from LeinsterRugby is a bit more cautious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't get why they don't have a 'home' final in the Amlin, Toulon drew 50,000+ to Marseille a few years ago. It was quite the spectacle.

Also, dreadful news for EOM but at least he isn't missing that much rugby because of the summer and should be back by 2013.

Sheridan is just permanently injured unfortunately. If he had come through fit he'd be a very good player. Wouldnt surprise me if we see him tearing up the Championship next season.

Collie O'Shea has done brilliantly for a first year academy player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

When are tickets for final going on sale? I know last year at Cardiff they had signs all over the place saying tickets for this years where on sale that day. Want to go to 3 in a row......Cardiff, Twickers and Aviva........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement